• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V NG |OT| You forget a thousand things every day, make sure Chicago is one of 'em

Tainted

I haven't been able to play GTAO at all since launch. I know there are alot of people playing it with no issues, so I'm starting to think it is now my PS4 / NAT settings

80% of the time when I try to join a session, it just times out and kicks me back to singleplayer

The other 20% of the time, I join an empty session and noone ever joins. I try to join another session and it'll usually just time out and go back to singleplayer

CanaryRob

You can mod the cars at any custom shop and the changes are saved; adds a little variety. Do the stock market glitch and money's no issue.

Yeah, which I did continually on 360. But just can't be bothered on Xbone (apart from performance and protection upgrades). You can't polish a turd.

Just seems a bit dull having the same car all the way through the game. Would be nice to have a selection of cars to choose from depending on each characters situation and preference.

JoduanER2

Franklin is not too bad if you consider his problem is even if he thinks it's wrong he just goes along with it anyways (That's so wrong but I'll do it while complaining). It's honestly the same gripe I have with the John Marston character in RDR . They try to make him sympathetic by showing he disapproves of the people he's helping but at the same time he just whines some and then goes along with it.

Honestly, I find Trevor fun as hell to play. He's the right character for a game like GTA. I love driving with him and just letting my inner asshole out (get the fuck out of my way, you cut me off, Die! <- and yes, with the other characters I'll just scare the person who cuts me off but I figure Trevor would have no issue just shooting them).

And honestly, you could argue if you look at the story more and get to know Trevor more in some ways he's the character that cares the most about other people. He just has a deranged way of seeing how he's helping (otherwords he cares more about people than the other two but he's batshit insane).

Really, if Rockstar is going to write games where you aren't playing a character who does good things, they should stop trying to justify the characters so we like them. Trevor feels a lot more appropriate for a game like GTA V than for example Franklin where they give weak excuses why we should sympathize with him.

The 3 characters are horribly written. Niko bellic was a far more interesting character.

Hey in SP, does it matter if you leave your "primary" car out somewhere or do you constantly have to park it in the Garage? I mean I think I lost it one time but there was a mission that gave it back to me without paying the impound fee. So it doesnt matter right?

Also in MP, whats the cheapest apartment with 1 garage? I keep trying to baby my car so some idiot doesnt destroy it and I lose it/have to pay insurance again or whatever. One time, I got jumped and some fool popped my tires. So I got out barely alive and repaired my car but hid it while I was driving about in a shitty one just so I could keep it safe lol. Its like a Ford Charger that I found and kept.

Lastly if anyone plays alot, PM so I can add you. I would like to play with GAFers and not randoms who want to kill me for no reason.
In SP, you can leave your primary car anywhere and it magically finds its way home. And anyway, who cares? Just go steal one.

So, I just fucking killed Lamar. Medics couldn't save him.

not really, you get a medical bill for him later.

First Person Tower Wallride

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsmtOfSEZU4://www.reddit.com/r/GrandTheftAutoV/comments/2n0t36/for[/url] . . .

"No way!" lol that was awesome.

:O wow and yeah the "No way!" was perfect.

Hey in SP, does it matter if you leave your "primary" car out somewhere or do you constantly have to park it in the Garage? I mean I think I lost it one time but there was a mission that gave it back to me without paying the impound fee. So it doesnt matter right?

Also in MP, whats the cheapest apartment with 1 garage? I keep trying to baby my car so some idiot doesnt destroy it and I lose it/have to pay insurance again or whatever. One time, I got jumped and some fool popped my tires. So I got out barely alive and repaired my car but hid it while I was driving about in a shitty one just so I could keep it safe lol. Its like a Ford Charger that I found and kept.

Lastly if anyone plays alot, PM so I can add you. I would like to play with GAFers and not randoms who want to kill me for no reason.
SP it doesn't matter where you leave the characters main personal vehicle. It will show up at their house.

Mp I think the low end apartments start around 80k or so. Just filter the search to low end at the realtor.

Edit: I was correct, its 80k 0112 s rockford dr. apt 13 with 2 car garage.

I find that riding a train while shooting at cars/people is a good way to cause mayhem without the cops bothering you much. Hard to hit things though from the moving train.

oh yeah last time I rode that train I did not have a sniper rifle will try later

edit: the eyes of this Cab driver is going to give me bad dreams wtf

Tainted

In SP, you can leave your primary car anywhere and it magically finds its way home. And anyway, who cares? Just go steal one.

I've noticed in NG, cars stay where you leave them alot longer or the distance can you move away from them before disappearing has increased compared to LG (This goes for any car, not just your primary car)

Highlighting the primary car on the singleplayer map is also a nice addition

Tigress

On mp just take a job and cancel and your car will be as good as new ;). Also when you change servers it fixes it. Also, invest in bullet proof tires. Expensive but well worth it.

The 3 characters are horribly written. Niko bellic was a far more interesting character.

I could maybe agree with Michael and Franklin (though I found them about as interesting as niko) but I find Trevor far more interesting than Niko who I found as interesting as Franklin or Michael tbh. I never could get into iv's story or care about it enough to even bother with missions that much. I mostly f'ed around in it (though I got it with the used Xbox I bought. If I paid for it I might have tried harder to get into it).

Tigress

BTW, don't bother buying a car in SP. I thought I'd try it out to see if it gets lost easily like cars you steal and put in the garage. It's worse than getting lost, it just doesn't even show up. Got the car delivered email and everything. Checked my garage, checked franklins home garage. Checked impound. The car does not exist.

Anyone else feel like the pop in is a little more pronounced on PS4/XB1? I don't really care because it looks so gobsmackingly beautiful 99% of the time, but yeah.

Add me to your club. I don't know what it is, but I'm noticing a lot more pop in this time around (compared to PS3). I remember being blown away by how well theY managed to minimize the pop in on PS3.

Maybe it's the higher resolution that has me noticing way more this time around?

todahawk

Holy shit the attention to detail just continues to astound me.

Bought the sub base for Trevor and was fucking around on the dock and decided to shoot one of the buoys out in the water with my rifle. Sure enough I got a nice 'ding'.
Also love the fact that fireflies come out at night in the forest by Paleto Bay while I was hunting. Just beautiful.

I think the dialogue is well written, but the characters are one dimensional and don't change. Basically, no character in the game changes from the moment you meet them to the end of the game, every character is the same... from minor to major characters. Things happen to them, but their personalities, motivations, and decisions are always the same. If you meet someone as an adversary in GTAV, chances are, they stay as an adversary. If you meet someone who is a friend, or at least neutral (most of the characters do not have any friends), then they stay neutral. Contrast this especially with the characters in GTA:SA, who go through a major personal change and it's pretty disappointing.

Yet, I still think they're more interesting than Niko. Niko, to me, was an incredibly boring character, with boring motivations, and a boring back story. Throughout most of GTAIV they hint at this "You won't believe what I did in my previous life..." storyline with Niko, and they hint at it for like 30% of the game, and then it's revealed and all it is is. .. "I killed people, there was a lot of killing, bad things happened." And then, there's this further motivation of, "Oh, I've got to find this guy who wronged me..." What did he do? "Oh, he made me kill people... do bad things." There was no payoff in GTAIV, but at least there was some character growth. There is no character growth or arc in GTAV. The characters are what they are in the beginning, middle, and end.

Contrast this with GTA:SA and it's pretty disappointing. CJ starts the game as a street tough who is looking to come home and bury his mother. He's pulled into conflict by crooked cops and his sense of regret for turning his back on his family; Yet, he yearns for this unrealistic "Scarface" lifestyle that he eventually achieves, and then realizes it's not worth it and that he's got to stay honest with his roots. Other characters like his racist brother end up coming around on people from other nationalities. Adversaries like Mike Toreno change to be unlikely allies. Idiot characters end up becoming mostly likeable, like the members of Love Fist or Madd Dogg. Sure, it's over the top, but there's some actual character arcs with those characters... An introduction to them, a middle, and an end. With GTAV, you have none of that. Every character you meet is the same throughout the game when you first meet them, from the three protagonists down to all of the extra characters. The only light story is with Michael's family
who kind of come around on him... but it happens for no reason, and nothing really changes.

hunchback

I have to turn the game in for credit. I can't complete the Father/Son mission. It is impossible for me to shoot and drive. I have done the mission at least 25 time's. I have tried every control scheme available with different cameras. I fail every time. This really sucks because I was really enjoying the game. Before anyone says I suck, I'm a disabled gamer.

I have to turn the game in for credit. I can't complete the Father/Son mission. It is impossible for me to shoot and drive. I have done the mission at least 25 time's. I have tried every control scheme available with different cameras. I fail every time. This really sucks because I was really enjoying the game. Before anyone says I suck, I'm a disabled gamer.

If you fail a mission a number of times, doesn't the game give you an option to skip the action sequence?

I failed the mission where Michael
wakes up in the morge
and after failing 6 times or so, the game says "Skip" and allows you to skip it with the Y button or Triangle on PS3.

FWIW, I'm not disabled, I just suck.

Tainted

The driving and shooting mechanic in GTA has always been bad, simply because once you go into aim mode you no longer have full control of your vehicle as you then concentrating on aiming 2 seperate entities

I would love for them to adopt an auto-drive system similar to FC4

todahawk

What Albatross said. Yes, you can skip a mission after you fail it 3 or 4 times.

rjcc

that mission in particular is tough to pull off, if you skip it most of the rest of the game is not like that. I had trouble getting used to the controls again and had to do it a few times, not only is it the bad shoot+drive mechanic, you have to angle way up at the guy and it moves a ton.

If I buy a car from a dealer, will it always show up in my garage even if I total it?
Nope. If it's destroyed or you lose it and it doesn't show up in the impound you're shit out of luck. Really, unless you're using a money glitch you should never really buy vehicles or mod anything outside of the characters' personal vehicles. Sooner or later (usually sooner) the car that you sunk your money into will be gone without a trace.

The system should have been that any car you purchase then becomes free off that website for the rest of the game (or just added as a free instant spawn vehicle in your garage like the Eligy). But it isn't.

by the way, i pimped Franklin's motorbike with turbo, new engine, etc. But the thing doesn't seem to go any faster... How can that be?
Take the turbo off. The turbo is currently bugged and makes the vehicle go slower.

Is there a way to get the song titles that play on the radio to pop up?
Hold down left on the d-pad.

holygeesus

Banned
Could you meet your fellow characters just wandering round in the previous gen versions? I know you could go to their safe-houses etc but in this one I bought a slip at the docks with Michael, switched to Franklin to do the same, drove him over there and Michael was still hanging around - they had a conversation about getting a drink, then I took a few pot-shots at him (as you would) and he ran off!

Durden77

I swear I juat found John Marston's house. It's been a long time since I've played RDR, but it's very reminiscent. With
flowers growing on the hill he was buried and everything.

PS4 ver. Anyone having random controller input issues? I can't tell if it's my controller or GTA.

I will be playing and the game stops reading inputs. Then the inputs become delayed and unpredictable. After a few seconds things return to normal. But this is happening more frequently with every game play session.

The PS button is always responsive, pulling me out of the game instantly when pressed. Inputs are still messed up for a few seconds and then return to normal.

Bug? Or controller issues?

Dobsie

So I left my car unattended outside the airport for a minute or so. The airport police come along, fire guns, everyone runs then they remove my car.

Tf53

A friend of mine not only wrote a kickass piece on the game, but also included some amazing in-game photography. Do check it out: http://katukuva.wordpress.com/2014/11/26/rockstar-games-doesnt-fuck-around/
gtav_ps4_0971.jpg

gtav_ps4_104.jpg

Hey guys, I'm streaming some First Person GTA V gameplay again on Twitch.TV if anyone is down to stop in and check it out. I'll be finishing off the Assassination missions and doing some of
Devon Weston's
carjacking missions, and just doing whatever else. I'll probably be playing until around 4:30 EST. Music is blocked on streams so bring ya own tunes

link

Yo, I'm about to do that mission where you
chase the plane
in first person if anyone wants to see that

Mate I had the exact same problem, in the end I sprayed and prayed and by luck I managed to shoot the guys. The control schemes can be incredibly frustrating, especially if you have a disability that effects your hands.

Angst

Have you tried using Franklin's special ability to enter bullet time? Makes it much easier.

Hip Hop

Have you tried using Franklin's special ability to enter bullet time? Makes it much easier.

I don't think it lets you switch to Franklin during that particular segment. Has to be done by Michael while he is driving. Wondering if he can equip an SMG to make it easier.

Top Bottom