• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Watch Dogs on PS4 handedly outsells Unity on all platforms

AHA-Lambda

From PAL thread, thought it was thread worthy, lock if old.

In the case these numbers are actually accurate enough

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare 2nd week - 178,480
Assassin's Creed Unity - 162,480

01 (NE) PS4 WATCH DOGS (UBISOFT) - 190,000
02 (NE) XBO WATCH DOGS (UBISOFT) - 105,000
03 (NE) WIU MARIO KART 8 (NINTENDO) -
04 (NE) 360 WATCH DOGS (UBISOFT) - 50,500
05 (NE) PS3 WATCH DOGS (UBISOFT) - 35,000

Kathian

Banned
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ed-unity-launch-beats-black-flags-in-uk-chart

However, it seems Unity has done well. The PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One game outsold the launch of last year's game, Assassin's Creed: 4: Black Flag, which originally debuted on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 to a significantly higher install base.

This year, PS3 and Xbox 360 got a separate Assassin's Creed game, titled Rogue. That entered the UK chart in sixth place. Combined sales of Unity and Rogue would have outsold Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare this week.

I'm sure they are inconsolable. This just highlights the strength of Watch Dogs launch.
Ubisoft seem to have the right formula for the masses.

antitrop

Watch_Dogs was lucky to launch in May. Its only competition was Wolfenstein and it was before the current-gen GTA V announcement at E3.

Tak3n

Banned
I do appreciate the backlash against the parity crap and the quality of the game not being that great...

but making that connection is not totally possible due to the high amount of release in this fortnight, unless you have the financial muscle gamers were faced with a choice of what to get this fortnight and it could simply be a case of sales being lost to other games...

Watch Dogs is a more fun game than AC.

I am enjoying the story missions in AC (the main character is likeable, unlike WD) but it's the same old, same old in gameplay terms. I'm not even bothering to collect all the seemingly pointless chests and coins you have to find. And it still has really janky movement that becomes so frustrating when getting about, especially in a hurry or when you're trying to escape. Not to mention it's glitchy and the frame rate is an embarrassment. Graphically it's very nice and the streets are teaming (too much so for the game's own performance) with people and activity. I'm trying to get my moneys worth before trading it in though.

sobaka770

Banned
Unity was not well-marketed in my opinion.

Watch Dogs had a lot of attention and was positioned as the first truly-next-gen experience, even though it was also ported to PS3 and XBOX360.

AC:Unity on the other hand is the first AAA non-exclusive game for next-gen and in many ways it pushes the envelope much farther than Watch_Dogs, and what was its marketing: coop and Paris? They didn't push the next-gen exclusive thing far enough.

Obviously, it didn't help that the game was rushed and there were rumors about technical issues since the reveal. Just as it didn't help that Watch Dogs was panned for its aggressive and erroneous marketing campaign so people are wary of Ubimarketing now.

Foshy

on one hand i'm glad unity bombed (relatively)

on the other hand watch dogs was shit, and this will lead to yearly watch dogs sequels

I'm sure they are inconsolable. This just highlights the strength of Watch Dogs launch.
Ubisoft seem to have the right formula for the masses.

Unity outselling BF isn't anything to brag about because it launched in a way where people were holding off for the current gen versions of it. AC is UBI's biggest franchise, and the one that they bank on each holiday. The fact that a single version of WD outsold it is not something that UBI is going to be happy about. It doesn't simply indicate that WD's launch was strong, it indicates that Unity's launch was very weak.

JaggedSac

I do appreciate the backlash against the parity crap and the quality of the game not being that great...

but making that connection is not totally possible due to the high amount of release in this fortnight, unless you have the financial muscle gamers were faced with a choice of what to get this fortnight and it could simply be a case of sales being lost to other games...

I enjoy the fact that you used fortnight twice.

oni-link

They should learn from this and release watch dogs 2 next year, then the next year far cry 5, the year after that, put out the next assassins creed

Then the next year after that go back to watch dogs, that is the only way to combat the fatigue, and it might actually mean their games run well and have fewer copy and pasted mechanics

This won't happen

Percy

Banned
I can recall WD seemed to be properly finished when it came out, so hopefully if nothing else this will send a message about not releasing buggy, unfinished pieces of shit.

A message Ubisoft will doubtless completely ignore.

DryvBy

As much as I didn't like Watch_Dogs after a few hours, at least it runs smoothly. AC:U is actually unplayable in certain co-op missions due to drops to the teens.

Bruno MB

I don't think Assassin’s Creed: Unity did bad at all in its debut despite being far from its franchise peak. It sold more than the previous entry (Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag) and without the help of the old-gen console versions.

Call of Duty: Advance Warfare and FIFA 15 would have been way down YoY if we only included the PS4 and XBO versions.

Hyunashi

on one hand i'm glad unity bombed (relatively)

on the other hand watch dogs was shit, and this will lead to yearly watch dogs sequels

I am thinking in line with this guy, though without the 'relatively'. It deserves to bomb for what a terrible state in launched in.

DryvBy

Why does everyone here hate unity so much?

Is it genuinely a bad game, or is everyone just upset about it's bad framerate on consoles?

It's less than what AC II is. I was okay with the game even running at 25-30 fps, but then I played with my cousin (the only reason I picked it up) and it' unplayable in some missions. You can't block or fight with the glitching and framerate drops. They were really bad and it ran like that the entire mission.

I don't think Assassin’s Creed: Unity did bad at all in its debut, it sold more than the previous entry (Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag) and without the help of the old-gen console versions.

Call of Duty: Advance Warfare and FIFA 15 would have been way down YoY if we only included the PS4 and XBO versions.

But you're ignoring that the PS4 version of Watch_Dogs alone sold more than the PS4 and Xbox One versions of Unity combined. And that was when it userbase was smaller. So the issue isn't with it being current gen only.

Is it genuinely a bad game, or is everyone just upset about it's bad framerate on consoles?
Can only speak for me, but technical issues aside, it's probably my favourite since AC2 (maybe with the exception of Black Flag). Paris is beautiful to explore and it really is a beautiful looking game.

It's less than what AC II is. I was okay with the game even running at 25-30 fps, but then I played with my cousin (the only reason I picked it up) and it' unplayable in some missions. You can't block or fight with the glitching and framerate drops. They were really bad and it ran like that the entire mission.

Its sad that this will probably force them to be less ambitious next time since the next gen console just couldn't handle a truly next gen. game.

I liked the idea of having large crowds and stuff....

If I had had the money I probably would have gotten it, but i guess I'll just hold off now.

To be fair to AC, Watchdogs didn't have much of a battle on its hands.

AC has been released in one of the craziest months for AAA releases that I have ever seen. I not saying it would have sold more than watchdogs, but the busy schedule must surely effect sales, not everybody can buy every game.

sobaka770

Banned

Just bad framerate and glitches. Also some people just hate AC, but you see them in every thread.

Personally, this is the best Assassin's Creed yet.

Kathian

Banned
Unity outselling BF isn't anything to brag about because it launched in a way where people were holding off for the current gen versions of it. AC is UBI's biggest franchise, and the one that they bank on each holiday. The fact that a single version of WD outsold it is not something that UBI is going to be happy about. It doesn't simply indicate that WD's launch was strong, it indicates that Unity's launch was very weak.

Yes but here the 360/PS3 was another game and together they outsold COD launch.
Also selling better than the 360/PS3 release in 2013 is a good thing not a bad thing.

cackhyena

Can only speak for me, but technical issues aside, it's probably my favourite since AC2 (maybe with the exception of Black Flag). Paris is beautiful to explore and it really is a beautiful looking game.
Yep, feel the same. The game is a step in the right direction in many ways. In others, say, with the combat...they got some work ahead of them still. Glitches have always been a prominent thing in these games. The frame rate is the real tragedy. Most times it's fine for me on X1, but when it tanks near stained glass, it can be single digits. Near crowds it's not that bad, but still...bad. Needed another good six months to make it really shine. Every AC after this better implement stealth and build on it the way they have. Being able to take on most missions how I want is paramount for me, and they are doing that in this one.

Spacejaws

If it didn't have the technical issues that it does I would call it my second favourite Assassins Creed game.

It's the game I've been waiting for since 2. Brotherhood and Revelations felt like expansions to 2. 3 was terrible and 4 was great but shared an issue I had with 3 where the city geometry was fairly lackluster. Both are realitively new colonies missing the grand architecture.

Assassins Creed IV would have been second of it wasn't for kinda dull coty enviroments and the really dull way they introduce him into Assassins (hey you have the uniform! Now ypu can perform all exclusive Assassin techniques we train for years to acomplish) you can start accepting assassin contracts before you even meet them it just kinda ignores the lore and shoehorns the 'assassin' identity unto Kenway which bothers me.

The early progression with Arno is quitr different. At the start of the game your, well a bit shit. I was getting into my usual hunt for treasure chests when I realized maybe I should wait later after getting my but handed to me by some goons.

Essentiallu at the moment loving the french revolution backdrop, love the city, the characters and well the story is progressing nicely but I haven't got far (like 13%) but I am enjoying the pacing and not rolling my eyea very often which is an achievment for recent Ubisoft story and dialogue writers.

But...those tech issues. I'm having crashes and lock ups on pc which I'm hoping gets resolved. Other than that fantastic in my book.

onQ123

I'm pretty sure if they would have played fair & made this game to take advantage of the PS4 extra power they would have sold more, Not because graphics matter but because they gave the game a bad reputation with all the spinning they was doing trying to justify their actions.

Top Bottom