• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 PC performance thread

Really cool to see all these expensive graphics cards and shit doing well, but does anybody with a low end gpu like an hd 6850 have anything to say about the performance?

Setsuna

this game has some very nice graphics options, i dont understand why this is so well optmized and unity is not. this is running on everything maxed out at 60+fps with my 680. easily.

For one Far Cry 4 is a far less demanding game Than Assassins creed unity

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Also, is there some kind of object view distance setting or something? I keep seeing some kind of strange pop-in for objects and textures in general. They kind of just slowly show-up with a strange grainy/pixelated effect. Hard to explain, but I remember it happening a lot in Far Cry 3 as well.

I am running everything on high/very high with textures on ultra.

If I remember correctly, increasing the Geometry setting in FC3 helped to alleviate this.

Salty Hippo

970 here and the game is running great... on foot. When I get to drive, it dips and stutters like a motherfucker. Any way to fix this? I dropped the resolution to 1600x900 and most of it is gone, but do I really need to play in 900p to have 60fps on a 970? Doesn't seem right.

banjoted

I'm running a 780 and i7 3770k (at 1080p) and am getting a solid 60fps on ultra. Looks more like 30fps on the 'Nvidia' presets, mind. Safe to say I'm getting far better performance than I do with AC Unity.

Smokey

There's no SLI profile yet. According to a post on geforce forums, using Far Cry 3 SLI bits results in negative performance scaling and produces artifacts in this game.

. . .

This combined with DA:I allegedly not having SLI bits has me about ready to throw in the towel with ALI

so much rage fuuuuuuucckkkk

:(

Mohonky

This is OUTSTANDING news after the Unity debacle. Now if GMG would just send my key for a pre-load.

Any little Greenmen receive their keys already? They're usually out in front on these big releases.

I got my key from greenmangaming hours ago, been playing the game earlier.

I have noticed the game has a bit of stuttering going on though, for no apparent reason. Usually runs at 40+ but then gets little stutters for whatever reason.

Odrion

Banned
It's weird how some people are reporting 60fps and higher or 30~40fps with stuttering on the same cards.

Hmmm.

Hmmm, to buy on PC or PS4. Hmmm. :|

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
It's weird how some people are reporting 60fps and higher or 30~40fps with stuttering on the same cards.

Hmmm.

Hmmm, to buy on PC or PS4. Hmmm. :|

Depending on your rig, you're debating over a superior experience vs. not a superior experience.

Amazing how this is even a debate for some people. =x

xXBaconXx

Banned
You know what really grinds my gears? When developers put an option for mouse acceleration in the menu, but it does fucking nothing. IT was the same as in Far Cry 3, only now it's regular mouse acceleration. Is anyone else having this issue?

xXBaconXx

Banned
Depending on your rig, you're debating over a superior experience vs. not a superior experience.

Maybe he doesn't have a super epic gaming PC, and the PS4 version would get him a better experience.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Maybe he doesn't have a super epic gaming PC, and the PS4 version would get him a better experience.

"Depending on your rig" which was in my post. =P

I doubt it takes a "super epic gaming PC" to beat out PS4 in Dragon Age though.

RadioSupreme

Neo Member
Getting kinda worried about if I should get this on my PC or PS4 now. I have a i5-4590 3.3hz, 8GB Ram and a GTX 770 2GB. Should I be worried about getting the PC version. I recently started up FC3 and was getting 50-60fps on very high then randomly dropped to 20-30 with a ton of stuttering

A post in Guru3D forums indicate new Nvidia drivers drop tomorrow at 11am EST.
The source of info unknown, so take with a grain of salt.

edit: thanks Andy

Kezen

Banned
Hi,

My Far Cry 4 Graphics, Performance & Tweaking Guide is now live over on GeForce.com: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/far-cry-4-graphics-performance-and-tweaking-guide

Questions about drivers, profiles and performance are all answered within.

Fantastic work. The Nvidia effects are amazing, especially that fur. :O

Exclusive to the PC is Trees Relief, the tessellation of tree trunks to increase detail levels that bit further.
Interesting, very interesting. :)

d00d3n

From the guide that AndyBNV wrote:
For the best Far Cry 4 experience we recommend updating to the new Far Cry 4 GeForce Game Ready Drivers, which will be released at approximately 16.00 UTC on Tuesday, November 18th. Included are the latest performance optimizations and tweaks for Far Cry 4, and a SLI profile that scales at over 90% on the system used in this guide. Download from GeForce.com or via GeForce Experience once the drivers are released.

ELCID777

Neo Member
Anyone know what's going on with the SMAA setting in this game? When enabled, it causes the mountains and distant object to go out of focus, almost as if some kind of DoF effect has been applied. Observe the mountains in the background and the blur around his hands and arms.

MSAA
15812223431_307b0f743e_o.png

SMAA
15790485066_76c096a4f2_o.png

Game is really pretty, my only gripe is that a lot of objects are low poly.

stufte

Anyone know what's going on with the SMAA setting in this game? When enabled, it causes the mountains and distant object to go out of focus, almost as if some kind of DoF effect has been applied. Observe the mountains in the background and the blur around his hands and arms.

Game is really pretty, my only gripe is that a lot of objects are low poly.

looks like a bloom effect of some sort blowing out the detail of the mountain. it's happening to a lesser degree on the right hand glove.

Hi,

My Far Cry 4 Graphics, Performance & Tweaking Guide is now live over on GeForce.com: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/far-cry-4-graphics-performance-and-tweaking-guide

Questions about drivers, profiles and performance are all answered within.

I have to say SSBC is very interesting.

It's effecting middle and long distance shading where by comparison HBAO+ isn't doing anything. Close up HBAO+ is better but the better distance shading provided by SSBC is an interesting proposition for a large open world game.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
I have to say SSBC is very interesting.

It's effecting middle and long distance shading where by comparison HBAO+ isn't doing anything. Close up HBAO+ is better but the better distance shading provided by SSBC is an interesting proposition for a large open world game.

SSBC should really have an official radius, rather than screen wide - those long distance shadows aren't at all accurate (far too heavy considering light, distance from character, etc), but they do kinda work.

When you're actually playing though, you don't notice, and the quality of the HBAO+ shadowing is so much higher.

Beast of a guide.

I want a holiday.

Hmmm. Uplay unlocked the game for me. Thought I would have to wait until tomorrow. Everything seems to work fine, but I have some weird mouse issues. It seems to jump around and provide a really jaggy motion. FPS is solid 60-70 and everything else is smooth.

SSBC should really have an official radius, rather than screen wide - those long distance shadows aren't at all accurate (far too heavy considering light, distance from character, etc), but they do kinda work.

When you're actually playing though, you don't notice, and the quality of the HBAO+ shadowing is so much higher.

I want a holiday.

HBAO+ is considerably superior close up and especially in indoors scenes. I wish it could treat longer range objects even though it would likely kill performance.

Great guide by the way!

Durante

I have to say, I'm really impressed by the SSBC results. In the landscape shots I actually prefer it to HBAO+, while the latter has higher shading accuracy.

What's important to note though is that SSBC achieves its results with a very low performance hit. I wonder how it would do if you increased e.g. the sample count until you get comparable performance to HBAO+.

Odrion

Banned

I'm not going to pull my hair out over a shitty PC Port attached to a shitty DRM service.

Top Bottom