• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/carts/applications/games]

lord

YES! Successfully downgraded my 3DS from 9.9 to 9.2. Victory! I did get a softbrick frankenfirmware so I formatted my sd, re ran the exploit and update and it was all good, was scared there for a bit. Off read a bunch of tutorials to install CFW

wiibomb

Dear friends I have a brand new Japanese n3ds. I purchased it due to the reason that it was not coming to NA.

It is on 8.1

How do I go about installing browserhax or menuhax.

I only have NA Cubic Ninja
NA 3dsxl on 9.2
I have Gateway

Thanks in advance.

sad you didn`t purchased this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B019IAC2OE/?tag=neogaf0e-20

(it's a really nice one)

in any case, you have cubic Ninja, so you can run gateway exploit through nijhax, follow smea steps from here and then you download the gateway exploit from here and you copy the launcher.dat file to the root of the SD card, the copy the .3dsx file with the folder on the roof the SD card, merge the folders.

then run the exploit thorugh ninjhax.

don-t know if you need to specifically update to 9.2, but you don`t need to update.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
^ Are you using CatSFC? And have you tried turning audio sync off?

Yeah im using CatSFC - i tried turning audio synch off, which improves the framerate from around 40 to 50, its still not perfect.
use pocketsnes
Welcome back.

Do you have a download link ? On google i only find some kind of old GBA emulator called Pocketsnes.

cw_sasuke

yo! PocketSNES (and CatSFC and all such emulators we are discussing here) is actually in the form of a Retroarch core.

From the retroarch nightly buildbot: http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/nintendo/3ds/

cia, 3ds and 3dsx builds there. Retroarch is all you need for emulation on your 3DS.

Oh okay thanks - i probably deleted the PocketSnes Core a while back like the other ones i didnt knew or used...will give it another shot now.

Edit:

So yeah i installed the PocketSnes cia from the current packagae. I can start it without issues but when i hit "Load content" the apps crashes and my n3DS reboots itself. The other retroarch cia i installed work fine...is the current version buggy or what could be the issue ?

MrPanic

Just one question. If I want to update to 10.5 on rxTools emunand on my o3ds, am I clear to just use the update in the system settings? I don't have to switch to a later rxTools nightly or change files on the sd cards afterwards because something broke right?

Rich!

Oh okay thanks - i probably deleted the PocketSnes Core a while back like the other ones i didnt knew or used...will give it another shot now.

Edit:

So yeah i installed the PocketSnes cia from the current packagae. I can start it without issues but when i hit "Load content" the apps crashes and my n3DS reboots itself. The other retroarch cia i installed work fine...is the current version buggy or what could be the issue ?

Just tested it, newest builds are fucked. Revert back to the stable 1.3 build.

cw_sasuke

Just tested it, newest builds are fucked. Revert back to the stable 1.3 build.

Alright thanks. 1.3...erm..which date package would that be ?
Edit:

Nevermind i got it. I was in the nightly folder. Found it. Nice.

I am so frustrated ...

Every tutorial I am trying or every Firmware/Installation I try something weird happends.

Tools do not start. Errors appear, Tools just freeze.

I am totally confused now .. can I start over again/remove the homebrew completely, if I reset my 3DS and format my SD-Card?

Want to use another card, maybe thats the problem.

Chris

Rich!

Is there a way to play DS games on cfw? And can it be installed on the homescreen like cia files?

Nope. The 3DS has to reboot into DS mode for DS games, and CIA functionality is not possible without a complete rewrite of TWL-FIRM.

You need a DS flashcart.

Nope. The 3DS has to reboot into DS mode for DS games, and CIA functionality is not possible without a complete rewrite of TWL-FIRM.

You need a DS flashcart.
TWL-FIRM just got patched to allow running of (most) DS flash carts on 3DS.

So running/installing DS games might not be such stretch in the future. Let's hope!

Just one question. If I want to update to 10.5 on rxTools emunand on my o3ds, am I clear to just use the update in the system settings? I don't have to switch to a later rxTools nightly or change files on the sd cards afterwards because something broke right?

That's how I updated my emuNAND on rxTools on my 3DS, yes.

Boot emuNAND, go into "settings", check the firmware is a RX-E* and just update from there.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
How exactly does the emunand updating work? I mean I know ho to do it, but where are they getting the files when you click update? Reinand for me

I mean I am not even sure I had internet access when updating mine but it still went to 10.5? Maybe I am misremembering.

I have Cubic Ninja and an old 3DS on homebrew. I want to get a New 3DS and downgrade.

Are all retail New 3DS downgradable? I haven't really kept up with any of this stuff.

Thanks.

I have Cubic Ninja and an old 3DS on homebrew. I want to get a New 3DS and downgrade.

Are all retail New 3DS downgradable? I haven't really kept up with any of this stuff.

Thanks.

Firmware 10.3 and lower has an exploit to downgrade to 9.2 (but risky). I believe every retail unit on shelves now is <10.3.

I was very careful and watched numerous vids and read gbatemp threads and a faulty firmware downgrade hard-bricked my IPS Majora's Mask n3DS. Be aware it isn't fool-proof.

How exactly does the emunand updating work? I mean I know ho to do it, but where are they getting the files when you click update? Reinand for me

I mean I am not even sure I had internet access when updating mine but it still went to 10.5? Maybe I am misremembering.

When you update from system settings, the update data will come from Nintendo servers.
When you update using sysupdater, it will get the files locally from the SD-card

Rich!

I'm so mad I'm on 10.5, and I just updated three days ago.

the golden rule of homebrew:

"never update"

I'm on 10.5 too. Emunand. Full homebrew, region free and backup support. But bear in mind, back in Jan last year I updated past 9.2 and I assumed my N3DS XL (which I brought at launch in November 2014) would never be able to be hacked again. I guess you'll have to wait a year like I had to.

Drain You

the golden rule of homebrew:

"never update"

I'm on 10.5 too. Emunand. Full homebrew, region free and backup support. But bear in mind, back in Jan last year I updated past 9.2 and I assumed my N3DS XL (which I brought at launch in November 2014) would never be able to be hacked again. I guess you'll have to wait a year like I had to.

Worst part is I was on 10.3 and was planning on staying there till a friend of mine told me I could update to 10.5 and everything still works. Stupid of me to not look into it before just believing him. Hopefully it's not an entire year. Curious to see what firmware my pokemon n3ds is going to ship with, not holding my breath on that though.

Rich!

Worst part is I was on 10.3 and was planning on staying there till a friend of mine told me I could update to 10.5 and everything still works. Stupid of me to not look into it before just believing him. Hopefully it's not an entire year. Curious to see what firmware my pokemon n3ds is going to ship with, not holding my breath on that though.

It won't be 10.5.

Ludovico

Hey all!

I currently have both an o3DS and an n3DS XL. The original hasn't been touched since I transferred everything over to the new last year.

I really want a dedicated emulator with good buttons (gcw sucks there) and clamshell design (psp is out).

Would I be able to run SNES stuff full speed with the original, or should I go out and pick up another n3DS (not risking the one currently in use, way too many digital titles on board).
I'd prefer the smaller n3DS instead of XL, but I'm in North America and not sure what the availability of the standard size is at the moment (I wouldn't mind using the Animal Crossing one if it meant a easier fit in my pocket).

Rich!

Hey all!

I currently have both an o3DS and an n3DS XL. The original hasn't been touched since I transferred everything over to the new last year.

I really want a dedicated emulator with good buttons (gcw sucks there) and clamshell design (psp is out).

Would I be able to run SNES stuff full speed with the original, or should I go out and pick up another n3DS (not risking the one currently in use, way too many digital titles on board).
I'd prefer the smaller n3DS instead of XL, but I'm in North America and not sure what the availability of the standard size is at the moment (I wouldn't mind using the Animal Crossing one if it meant a easier fit in my pocket).

rule of thumb:

emulation will be shit unless you have a N3DS. If you have an O3DS you will get fullspeed on some few games via blargSNES and picrodrive. Same for gameyob (albeit with terrible sound emulation).

If you have a N3DS you can install emunand and therefore have access to the best console and handheld emulation currently available on a portable device via retroarch, In other words, what the fuck man get a N3DS!!!

Ludovico

rule of thumb:

emulation will be shit unless you have a N3DS.

Alright, no big loss there, got some best buy credit to burn.

In that case, all n3ds on shelves should be workable?

Edit - I have an n3DS, but would rather get a spare one than run the risk of messing this one up (also a smaller form factor if possible).

Am I worrying for no reason? ...

Rich!

currently, yes. buy a n3ds.

make absolutely sure you assign the wifi to the tubehax dns before trying any hax:

then use browserhax to boot the homebrew channel and sysupdater and you're golden.

EDIT:

and no goddamnit, you won't mess up your console as long as you're not a goddamn idiot. I have downgraded six consoles so far, three N3DS and three O3DS. No issues. At all. PM me if you are unsure of any steps.

Robin64

For what it's worth, I think the XL is actually better for emulation. You get a natural scanlines look from the low dpi of the pixels, I think it really suits the games.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
EDIT:

and no goddamnit, you won't mess up your console as long as you're not a goddamn idiot. I have downgraded six consoles so far, three N3DS and three O3DS. No issues. At all. PM me if you are unsure of any steps.

Isn't there still a random aspect to downgrade even if you have the right files? Partial downgrades, soft bricks, hard bricks...?

Ludovico

Damnit...

I'm not an idiot, just not the best with all this homebrew stuff...

Fine, fine.
Current system (n3DS) is on 10.3.0-28u

I should be able to do everything via tubehax and then browserhax?
And, worst case scenario, shouldn't take more than a couple of hours?

Good stuff. But if I already have the duff (as in "my Retroarch emus do exactly what cw_sasuke's did") versions of Retroarch installed as .cia, how do I go about installing the stable versions? Do I have to uninstall all the Retroarch apps one by one using FBI, or is there an easier way?

You can just install them, and they'll replace the existing ones.

Damnit...

I'm not an idiot, just not the best with all this homebrew stuff...

Fine, fine.
Current system (n3DS) is on 10.3.0-28u

I should be able to do everything via tubehax and then browserhax?
And, worst case scenario, shouldn't take more than a couple of hours?

tubehax doesnt work anymore. try browserhax then use it to get menuhax then downgrade

Ludovico

tubehax doesnt work anymore. try browserhax then use it to get menuhax then downgrade

Yeah, looking like this is what I'll do after while.

Pick up n3DS from the store
Format DNS settings before attempting to get online
Use browserhax and proceed as usual

I know it seems superfluous, but even though I know I can use the n3DS I already have, I'll still be buying all digital and really don't want to have to keep up with update news or firmwares or any of that stuff.
Buying a dedicated emulator system, hacking it onetime, and then just keeping the emulators/homebrew up to date.

B.K.

Does EmuNAND9 take a really long time to start? I opened it from the Homebrew Launcher and have been sitting here for about five minutes with a black screen.

ZServ

Does EmuNAND9 take a really long time to start? I opened it from the Homebrew Launcher and have been sitting here for about five minutes with a black screen.

No. Power down your system, power back up.

Edit - I have an n3DS, but would rather get a spare one than run the risk of messing this one up (also a smaller form factor if possible).

Am I worrying for no reason? ...

N3DS/N3DSXL.. doesn't matter. Same hardware, different form factor.

The process can take a while. Took me and a buddy two roughly 6 hour sessions to get everything up and running, but that was because I wanted to keep my StreetPass stuff, which is saved on the NAND. Ended up with my SysNAND and EmuNAND being unlinked but couldn't access my ambassador games on EmuNAND. Everything showed up ??? 0 Blocks in data management, couldn't repair downloads, all sorts of weird stuff. Now everything seems to be fine. I lost my Ambassador games and had to redownload them, and I lost my Animal Crossing save, which really stung. But.. everything else is still here, so that's a plus.

HANS doesn't seem to work with Resident Evil Revelations, which is a shame. The game works, but unfortunately the nub doesn't, so I can't aim. :(

I'm getting ready to start installing everything on my system. I'm going to follow this guide:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutoria...luding-emunand-coldboot-cia-installer.405589/

Reading through it, it wants me to install Pasta CFW to begin with. Can I just replace Pasta with ReiNAND or should I just follow what it says and use Pasta and install ReiNAND later?

Stick to the tutorial.
Pasta is needed to patch your sysnand in that step.
Later you'll use reinand on your emunand

Try L+R+B+Down. it's the button combo to kick back to the HBL. If that doesn't work, just reboot and try again. make sure you're using the latest version of Emunand9!

B.K.

Try L+R+B+Down. it's the button combo to kick back to the HBL. If that doesn't work, just reboot and try again. make sure you're using the latest version of Emunand9!

I wasn't even on EmuNAND yet. I'm just now going through the guide. I was at the part where I was trying to dump the system NAND.

Okay, I bought a N3DS with 9.8 firmware.

A couple of questions.

Is it safe to downgrade, it looks like there are lots of bricks out there...

I have cubic ninja, I'm primarily interested in using retroarch. Should I just stay at 9.8?

Also, I want to do a system transfer with my older 3DS. Is this possible on lower firmware?

Thanks.

Okay, I bought a N3DS with 9.8 firmware.

A couple of questions.

Is it safe to downgrade, it looks like there are lots of bricks out there...

I have cubic ninja, I'm primarily interested in using retroarch. Should I just stay at 9.8?

Also, I want to do a system transfer with my older 3DS. Is this possible on lower firmware?

Thanks.

Downgrading is never fully safe. It can fail, leaving you with a partially or fully bricked system. You can only recover from a full brick by hardmodding your system. A partially bricked system (a softbrick) can, if you're lucky, be restored through the recovery menu, which will let you update online from the nintendo servers (and always to the latest firmware)
Retroarch will run just fine through ninjhax. To get easier access to the homebrew launcher (hbl), use ninjhax to install menuhax. On 9.8 in the hbl you'll need the .3dsx versions of the retroarch cores. If you decide to downgrade, you could use the .cia versions to install them directly in the home menu. Also, (some?) cores in .cia format are more powerful, resulting in better performance. But on N3DS with its more powerful CPU, even the .3dsx versions will run most games just fine.

Downgrading is never fully safe. It can fail, leaving you with a partially or fully bricked system. You can only recover from a full brick by hardmodding your system. A partially bricked system (a softbrick) can, if you're lucky, be restored through the recovery menu, which will let you update online from the nintendo servers (and always to the latest firmware)
Retroarch will run just fine through ninjhax. To get easier access to the homebrew launcher (hbl), use ninjhax to install menuhax. On 9.8 in the hbl you'll need the .3dsx versions of the retroarch cores. If you decide to downgrade, you could use the .cia versions to install them directly in the home menu. Also, (some?) cores in .cia format are more powerful, resulting in better performance. But on N3DS with its more powerful CPU, even the .3dsx versions will run most games just fine.

Is there a way to protect menuhax, youtubehax, or broswerhax if I need to update to do a system transfer?

Top Bottom