• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/carts/applications/games]

Rich!

It's time consuming but if you follow the guide carefully you should be fine.

It's significantly less time consuming than it used to be. I've done the hack three times (myself and for my sister and her bf) and it's so much easier now than before.

The only issue I had was my usb micro SD reader blew up, meaning I had to rely on a hacked together cable I made which wasn't the most stable thing ever

It's time consuming but if you follow the guide carefully you should be fine.
The guy forgot to wipe it before selling it to me - can I do a factory reset and still be on the same firmware? Also, it looks like the Cubic Ninja hack only works on systems up to 10.3.0 - any suggestions on the best way to go?

Smo21

The guy forgot to wipe it before selling it to me - can I do a factory reset and still be on the same firmware? Also, it looks like the Cubic Ninja hack only works on systems up to 10.3.0 - any suggestions on the best way to go?

Can't help as far as that goes I did it when on 9.90.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Quick question. I've been trying the DS CIA forwarder stuff, since someone told me my card (an R4i RTS 3DS from r4ids.cn) was supposed to work. I've created the forwarder and installed it as a CIA without issues. But I don't know if the white screens I'm getting are due to my card actually not being compatible or because I messed up the installation on the microSD of the files created by the program.

Where am I supposed to put the .dat and .nds files created alongside the .cia?

nickerous

You can do other things for a fair bit of that time since its Dumping / Flashing NAND and testing stuff that it tells you about the end , so you don't have to watch it with eagle eyes,

Yeah, i should mention that I was rearranging files on the computer to make room for the nand backups while the 3ds was working. Also, I had a raging headache. Pretty sure that slowed me down a bit.

Seronei

Cubic Ninja works up to 10.7 I thought?

Doopliss

I can't get the firmware version to read EMU at the top. Gonna give it another shot today.
You probably didn't select the "display NAND type" option on the Luma config screen. You can delete the config.bin file from the luma folder on your SD card and the config screen will appear again the next time you launch Luma.

1DRMqSC.png

You probably didn't select the "display NAND type" option on the Luma config screen. You can delete the config.bin file from the luma folder on your SD card and the config screen will appear again the next time you launch Luma.
There actually wasn't any sort of prompt on the puna screen. It just went black everytime I tried to load it. I will try your suggestion though. Thanks

Hi guys. As someone who only wants to get rid of the region lock to import games from the US, whar's the cheapest option?
Cubic Ninja is insanely expensive everywhere. Looking at the chart in the op there don't seem to be a lot of options for me. I have an old XL.

Robin64

Hi guys. As someone who only wants to get rid of the region lock to import games from the US, whar's the cheapest option?
Cubic Ninja is insanely expensive everywhere. Looking at the chart in the op there don't seem to be a lot of options for me. I have an old XL.

What's your firmware version?

Schlomo

There actually wasn't any sort of prompt on the puna screen. It just went black everytime I tried to load it. I will try your suggestion though. Thanks

Same exact thing happened for me, never found a solution and eventually gave up on homebrew because I needed to access the eShop again. Please post if you find a solution. It's too late for me, but I'm curious.

Rich!

Im 11.0.0-33U

How am I?

fb0.jpg

sorry bro. You're locked out of downgrading, possibly permanently as all of the available exploits have been patched with that firmware. You can either buy another 3DS on a lower firmware/sell yours or wait for a new exploit - but there's no saying if or when it will ever happen.

You can still run some userland hacks though if you have the supported games.

Knurek

Im 11.0.0-33U

How am I?

There are few ways of getting Homebrew menu to launch on 11.0, which in turns allows you to run Hans, which can be sort-of used for limited region-free capacity.

Freakyforms Deluxe exploit still works on 11.0
Pokemon ORAS and Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon exploits work on 11.0 (but are secondary, meaning you will have to find someone with access to homebrew to install it on your cart's savegame)

Rich's suggestion is the best though, the above will only give you something clunky, nowhere near the comfort of CFW.

Young Magus

fb0.jpg

sorry bro. You're locked out of downgrading, possibly permanently as all of the available exploits have been patched with that firmware. You can either buy another 3DS on a lower firmware/sell yours or wait for a new exploit - but there's no saying if or when it will ever happen.

You can still run some userland hacks though if you have the supported games.

There are few ways of getting Homebrew menu to launch on 11.0, which in turns allows you to run Hans, which can be sort-of used for limited region-free capacity.

Freakyforms Deluxe exploit still works on 11.0
Pokemon ORAS and Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon exploits work on 11.0 (but are secondary, meaning you will have to find someone with access to homebrew to install it on your cart's savegame)

Rich's suggestion is the best though, the above will only give you something clunky, nowhere near the comfort of CFW.

Life not fair.

I just wanna play neogeo, cps and snes/genesis on the go.

mjcry1.png

Knurek

You can still do that. Basic homebrew, such as emulators, will run just fine on 11.0
It's just a bit less convenient, as you'll have to run the eploitable game every time and trigger the exploit.

AFAIK emulators run terrible under 11.0 (something to do with not having proper Kernel access for speedups).

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
So, with Freakyforms it doesn't matter if I'm in 11.0?
Cause I own the game but I'm in the latest firmware.

You'll be able to access the homebrew channel and use basic homebrews like emulators, but you won't be able to downgrade your console to install a custom firmware.

Young Magus

You can still do that. Basic homebrew, such as emulators, will run just fine on 11.0
It's just a bit less convenient, as you'll have to run the eploitable game every time and trigger the exploit.

Will the smash expolit will tho?

That and OoT are the only xpolit games I own. ooT doent work by the looks of it

AFAIK emulators run terrible under 11.0 (something to do with not having proper Kernel access for speedups).

Double
mjcry1.png

Guys is it true that you get better battery life without the emunand? And if yes how much is it? I mean is it worth it to change to systemnand?

Guys is it true that you get better battery life without the emunand? And if yes how much is it? I mean is it worth it to change to systemnand?

Yes, you won't read from the SD as much. If you're mainly running CIAs / Eshop games it won't make much difference at all, since they still read / write the SD. If you're using Carts it'll make a noticeable difference. If you're comfortable setting up a9lh there's really no reason not to and convert to SysNAND (a9lh happens before emuNAND is launched by other methods so anything that would destroy a9lh sysNAND would be capable of knocking out emuNAND anyway). Just remember not to to do a System Update on SysNAND on Gateway mode since it doesn't block FIRM updates (best case you end up on real 11.0 with only userland worst case you brick). Luma does though, so you can update on it.

Young Magus

So I found out that:

1.) The smash hax still works for my firmware.

2.) I have a extra n3dsxl still around collecting dust. Last updated last year to 10.2.0-28u

Again I just want to run emulation on my n3ds. Should I use the older xl haxs (and what are they) or go with smashhax

Dr. Worm

Banned
So I pulled out my old 3DS with a mildly busted screen that's on FW 4.5.

Since I have OoT3D, I'd like to be able to use my old 3DS to set up OoThax and then homebrew my updated system. How would I go about doing that? Should I be using this?

So I pulled out my old 3DS with a mildly busted screen that's on FW 4.5.

Since I have OoT3D, I'd like to be able to use my old 3DS to set up OoThax and then homebrew my updated system. How would I go about doing that? Should I be using this?

What version is your New System on ? Plailect's a9lh guide is pretty much state of the art. Even if you only want menuhax just follow the part that sets that up.

Dr. Worm

Banned
Alright, so I set up OoT3D on my updated 3DS, booted into Homebrew Launcher, and got my homebrew to show up.

Thanks for the help with that.

Mr. Hyde

Ouch. I went through part 1 to 5 of the Plailect guide only to get stuck at restoring the emunand original file in hourglass. It goes to verify and says "failed, file is corrupt!" despite the byte size being perfect. I am not even sure where to go after this. I guess the 3DS against the wall? haha.

Doopliss

Ouch. I went through part 1 to 5 of the Plailect guide only to get stuck at restoring the emunand original file in hourglass. It goes to verify and says "failed, file is corrupt!" despite the byte size being perfect. I am not even sure where to go after this. I guess the 3DS against the wall? haha.

First try copying the backup file (and its SHA counterpart) to the SD card again, in case it became corrupted in the previous transfer. If you still get the error you should contact the developer in the official Hourglass9 thread on gbatemp. He's usually very helpful with providing support for his utilities.

Even if that backup is toast you should be able to restore the system to a functional state with one of the other backups you made. Unfortunately that would mean your saves for any downloaded games and system titles would be gone.

Mr. Hyde

First try copying the backup file (and its SHA counterpart) to the SD card again, in case it became corrupted in the previous transfer. If you still get the error you should contact the developer in the official Hourglass9 thread on gbatemp. He's usually very helpful with providing support for his utilities.

Even if that backup is toast you should be able to restore the system to a functional state with one of the other backups you made. Unfortunately that would mean your saves for any downloaded games and system titles would be gone.

Ah thanks! I think the sha -might-have been corrupt. I downgraded hourglass to the version right before the newest which does not have sha verification. I went through the restore process and it worked fine. It runs perfectly now!

Rendition

Is Retroarch updated yet where save functions work on the Genesis and SNES emulators? I have a New 3DS. Thanks.

I haven't updated in 6 months.

Top Bottom