• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How long do you expect the 360 and PS3 to stay in production?

entremet

I was recently at my local Best Buy to pick up non gaming related items for my apartment and I stopped by the video game section as usual to see if there were any store specific deals.

Both the PS3/350 sections are tiny now. For my local Best Buy, they've basically integrated them with their successor's sections and the selection of games is extremely poor.

The Wii U/3DS section is actually decent. I was surprised at the Wii U section actually, giving that the system is underperforming mighty. Yet their sections were never as big their predecessors, which had more shelf space in their heyday.

The Vita section is basically the size of a full sized poster sadly.

It's interesting seeing the generational shifts. Last generation, I remember huge sections for all 5 major platforms at this Best Buy. Now, more and more games are getting digital only releases. The handheld market has been decimated--ask Sony. The Wii's successor is far from the success of the Wii. The PS4 seems to be biggest so far, but it's game release schedule--retail--has been pretty slow, showing that publishers are focusing on bigger hits and less middle tier games.

Given that, how long do you expect the HD twins to stay on the market?

Personally, I don't see much of the appeal of either for new gamers, at least if I was going to buy one from a Big Box store, especially since heavy hitters like GTAV are getting remastered.

They are cheap, though.

SerTapTap

2-3 years at the very least. Though with 80% of sales being current gen they should really start winding down next year and make 2016 the end IMO. I kinda wish they'd start dumping 360s at bargain bin prices so I can play these US region locked games

Worldwide, the PS3 will continue on for years as consumers in developing nations start buying them. The Xbox 360? Maybe another year or two in North America.

Derp

No idea, but it really shocks me how they're still surviving. Truly amazing tbh. Just want to hug my PS3.

Sony will linger longer, maybe five years. MS want to force people's hand, a year, two tops.
You are being optimistic, I think. My money is 2016 at the latest. PS3 is supposed to be 10 years anyway.

EDIT: Then again Sony might not cut it off at that time, needs a price cut though. By 2016 for 360 for sure.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Xbox 360's Destiny and COD AW sales are surprisingly high and significantly better than PS3 versions. I dont think MS plans to shut down 360 anytime soon, as long as its profitable.

NickFire

I expect they will stay in production for a while, though the footprint in countries with the better economies will diminish rapidly. I say this because I believe the lower end of technology still sells well in places with weaker economies as the price is much more affordable than cutting edge stuff.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I think MS will stop 360 production by the end of 2016 (just think, that would be 11 years!). Sony a year or two later.

A big part of it will probably be how cheap they can manufacture them though. If they can't get the cost low enough it's not worth it. No sense in selling a $200 PS3 alongside a $300 PS4, you know?

Worldwide, the PS3 will continue on for years as consumers in developing nations start buying them.

Are they at a price point for that to be feasible? If so they could last a while longer.

entremet

Xbox 360's Destiny and COD AW sales are surprisingly high and significantly better than PS3 versions. I dont think MS plans to shut down 360 anytime soon, as long as its profitable.

Interesting how MS basically copied Sony's tactics this generation.

They killed the original Xbox pretty quickly.

PS3 will keep going for another 3 years.

The 360, honestly im expecting the annoucement any day now.

Whats interesting is how long live and PSN are going to be supported.

Overall, I'll give it 3 years. Here in the UK, there's still a lot more shelf space given to 360/PS3, although the current generation is steadily encroaching on its space.

ps3 should last a while. Sony consoles usually last the longest of any console since they are supported alongside the newer consoles.

Less time, the longer they sell PS3s, the longer they're not selling those people PS4s.

I didn't like the first Xbox transition of just ending it instantly, but PS2 went on way too long.

ps2 was amazing and deserved to go on for so long. It's still the best console ever.

Less time, the longer they sell PS3s, the longer they're not selling those people PS4s.

I didn't like the first Xbox transition of just ending it instantly, but PS2 went on way too long.
Ah I see. I was under the impression you wanted it to last longer for some reason. Yeah the PS2 went on for too long.

Yeah. It's still pretty expensive.

The PS3 never hit 199 crazily enough.
Oh it's $200 on Amazon...for the 12 GB one. :|

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
The PS3 never hit 199 crazily enough.

I plan to buy one when it hits $200.

Sony lost at least one sale when they chose not to make the PS4 backwards compatible; I would have bought it day one if it could play PS4 and PS3 games.

overcast

Hopefully not too soon. Hoping for a price cut to both by next fall so I can get them and keep my collection (traded in my 360, the PS3 is my brothers).

No backwards compatibility sucks.

SerTapTap

I hope you guys talking about picking up a PS3 are claiming PS+ games for PS3 if you have a PS4/Vita. IMO it's PS+ has been the worst of the 3 lately, but there's still some fun stuff that pops up on it.

Ah I see. I was under the impression you wanted it to last longer for some reason. Yeah the PS2 went on for too long.

Oh it's $200 on Amazon...for the 12 GB one. :|

Can you slip an HDD in the 12GB one? With PS+ you'd probably end up upgrading your HDD anyway, I just put a 1TB SSHD in mine, was about $100 I think.

kabel

Imagine a 20nm Cell + 28nm RSX in a 25cm x 20cm x 7cm Box with like 30 watts power consumption.

149€

That would be bomba!

RedTurbo

Banned
No backwards compatibility sucks.
Yes, until they find a way to make it so that I can play older games on newer consoles without having to jump through hoops, they will probably keep supporting them.

Sony shot itself as far as I was concerned in removing backwards compatibility in the PS3 and not making the PS4 backwards compatible either. If they don't support the PS3 games that aren't available on the PS4 or PS3 when people have actual games they've bought from a legit Sony service, people will be epically pissed at them and they'll jump ship.

Same with Microsoft.

pdog128

For those talking about picking up a PS3, the 12GB version is $179 at Walmart now. I know it's gimped, but if you have a spare laptop hard drive laying around it might be worth it.

Also, the 500GB Lego Batman Beyond and Sly Cooper bundle (or Lego Hobbit, it that's your thing) are $250 now. I'm actually going to pick one up on the way home today and trade in Batman to Best Buy for ~$30 and pick up some used games.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I still suspect the discless Xbox Mini is coming which will enable 360 BC on One so for a while I guess. Both the PS3 and 360 would still make a lot of money.

Rolf NB

I hope you guys talking about picking up a PS3 are claiming PS+ games for PS3 if you have a PS4/Vita. IMO it's PS+ has been the worst of the 3 lately, but there's still some fun stuff that pops up on it.

Can you slip an HDD in the 12GB one? With PS+ you'd probably end up upgrading your HDD anyway, I just put a 1TB SSHD in mine, was about $100 I think.
You need to buy a harddrive caddy separately, but yeah, you can.
edit: this thing here.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
My guess would be that they would continue in other markets for a while, but possibly phased out in 2-3 years in developed countries. One problem MS and Sony will have is that if they can't cut prices on PS360 then they could become restricted on cutting prices on PS4/Xb1. As those come down in price, the value of PS360 will basically evaporate and sales will fall off a cliff. So they'll want to stop before that

RPGCrazied

Awhile I hope. I have over 20 retail games for it. My PS3 is about 4 years old now. Its not going to last much longer, but I don't want to spend $250 for another though. Why aren't these $149 by now is pretty crazy.

PS3's here in the UK are still quite expensive and not far off a WiiU, so I';d magine there's still 2-3 years left on UK shelves atleast.

360's are much cheaper but with the Xbone not selling so great MS might keep it around as long as ppl pay for Live.

Yes, until they find a way to make it so that I can play older games on newer consoles without having to jump through hoops, they will probably keep supporting them.

Sony shot itself as far as I was concerned in removing backwards compatibility in the PS3 and not making the PS4 backwards compatible either. If they don't support the PS3 games that aren't available on the PS4 or PS3 when people have actual games they've bought from a legit Sony service, people will be epically pissed at them and they'll jump ship.

Same with Microsoft.

I would love to agree but looking at the number of gamers rebuying games they bought only last year, Sony are laughing all the way to the bank.

Jamix012

I still suspect the discless Xbox Mini is coming which will enable 360 BC on One so for a while I guess. Both the PS3 and 360 would still make a lot of money.

oh god, please. I just want to play 360 games without repairing my old 360.

I don't really know the answer to this question. Both consoles have fallen off a cliff far faster than in previous generations relative to when their successors released. I'd say Sony might actually phase their system out first. Who knows...time will tell.

U2NUMB

SonyToo!™;139560784 said:
PS3's here in the UK are still quite expensive and not far off a WiiU, so I';d magine there's still 2-3 years left on UK shelves atleast.

360's are much cheaper but with the Xbone not selling so great MS might keep it around as long as ppl pay for Live.

The X1 is selling better than the 360 at the same point in time. The PS4 is just being crazy right now so it makes it seem like the X1 is doing poorly.

Top Bottom