• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideo Kojima Receives Bradford City of Film Cinematography Award

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6b0FoH7K0s

The Bradford Animation Festival is delighted to announce that legendary Japanese game director Hideo Kojima receives the inaugural Bradford UNESCO City of Film Award for Cinematography in Videogames.

Hideo, Director of Kojima Productions, has been given this prestigious award for his astounding directing, storytelling and cinematography in games such as mech-battling action title Zone of the Enders, and of course, the world-famous stealth game Metal Gear Solid, which stars the iconic character and enemy-of-terrorists, Solid Snake.

B2xEJ6cCEAEyeF4.png:large

Sn4ke_911

Why hasn't Kojima been tapped to make an actual movie?

He seems to prefer the medium.

I believe he couldn't find a job at this time. So he became a legendary games creator. Best decision ever.

2014-11-1908_53_51-baedpvx.png

Neiteio

Although I have PTSD from the lack of an editor in MGS4's cutscenes (Drebin still drones on in my dreams), I do appreciate Kojima's auteur touch, and he seems like a very gentle soul. Congrats to him. :)

Alx

Well making a bunch of cutscenes and making a movie isn't exactly the same thing. For starters he still needs to prove he can tell a complete story in less than 3 hours.

Sn4ke_911

He should direct a TV commercial for MGSV or something.

You can bet all commercial's are approved by him. For example the funny japanese GZ one.

but yeah an amazing live-action commercial like the Advanced Warfare would be pretty cool.

Tizoc

I wonder if the Bradford City people realize they gave the award to a man who in the past had a discussion between 2 characters occur via floating blob heads, included a horse poop button to his upcoming game, as well as let you fulton sheep and other manner of ridiculous things.

Congrats to Kojima though =3 but it's a shame that when it comes to Japanese directors barely a handful's names are recognized.

imfinnegan

Neo Member
As much as I respect Hideo Kojima for his legendary contributions to games as a medium, as a cinematographer myself I'm kind of bummed out that this award would be given to a video game designer, and that he'd furthermore accept it. I don't know what the requirements of this particular award are, but it seems a bit disingenuous based on what cinematography actually is.

Cinematography is the art and science of motion picture photography. It's not a slight to the medium by any means, but there is no photography in video games. There is no physical space which to light, no camera or lens with which to frame, no capture format that's undergoing chemical or digital information acquisition. Video games just lack everything that cinematography stands for as an art and science. Now, that's not to say that video games can't be cinematic -- obviously games like The Last of Us and The Walking Dead remind us more of movies than perhaps they do of games, but just because other artistic mediums exemplify some sort of mimicry to the cinema do not automatically qualify them as the cinema. A painter decides what to include in the frame of his canvas the same way a cinematographer chooses what goes in the frame of his scene, but that doesn't make the painter a cinematographer nor the cinematographer a painter. Cinematography and painting are just fundamentally different arts, and the same goes for cinematography and video game design.

It makes me think that this award is just a PR thing.

Sn4ke_911

As much as I respect Hideo Kojima for his legendary contributions to games as a medium, as a cinematographer myself I'm kind of bummed out that this award would be given to a video game designer, and that he'd furthermore accept it. I don't know what the requirements of this particular award are, but it seems a bit disingenuous based on what cinematography actually is.

Cinematography is the art and science of motion picture photography. It's not a slight to the medium by any means, but there is no photography in video games. There is no physical space which to light, no camera or lens with which to frame, no capture format that's undergoing chemical or digital information acquisition. Video games just lack everything that cinematography stands for as an art and science. Now, that's not to say that video games can't be cinematic -- obviously games like The Last of Us and The Walking Dead remind us more of movies than perhaps they do of games, but just because other artistic mediums exemplify some sort of mimicry to the cinema do not automatically qualify them as the cinema. A painter decides what to include in the frame of his canvas the same way a cinematographer chooses what goes in the frame of his scene, but that doesn't make the painter a cinematographer nor the cinematographer a painter. Cinematography and painting are just fundamentally different arts, and the same goes for cinematography and video game design.

I'm no expert so correct me if i'm wrong but isn't this what they do with the FOX Engine?

and why should he not deserve that award? this is a "Award for Cinematography in Videogames"

3d-model-motion-capture-fox-engine.jpg

c09fZ.jpg

Fox-Engine-big.jpg

While I appreciate this perspective, id argue that you are more arguing from the perspective of a DOP and not from a cinematographer.

Cinematography techniques are very much used in videogame design. Light is light, whether artifical or natural. Lilewise with lenses, framing and even information acquisition. Just because you can totally control your subject does not mean you do not have to follow similar conventions to produce convincing imagery.

If we keep things within such narrow definitions, technically we cannot award anyone who isnt using natural lighting in their movies either.

Marcel

All the misdirected salt over Kojima in here is pretty hilarious. "He can't escape Metal Gear". Well, until he made one of the more impressive new demos/game events of this year.

Gbraga

This "Kojima already makes movies lol" thing is incredibly nonsensical. Do some people get a glitched version that only plays unskippable cutscenes and automatically skips the gameplay segments?

Feel free to complain about the amount and length of cutscenes, but you can skip them, and there's an amazing game there with super refined mechanics and high replayability.

I'm excited for The Phantom Pain's story, but I'm even more excited about the crazy shit that you can do during gameplay, and invading other people's bases.

I think nowadays Konima prefers the gaming medium, while incorporating a lot of his cinematography skills into them.

I'm surprised nobody ever went up to him and said "we could use someone like you in the movie world" back in the 80's/early 90's. Shit like Snatcher and Policenauts were very ahead of their time when it came to storytelling.

Owwari

Banned
Meanwhile at Nintendo HQ: "Quick, erase all evidence of this before Miyamoto-san gets to it!".

"Good moning eve..."

"I TOLD YOU TO ERASE ALL TRACE!!!"

"Fuk, fuk, FUUUUUUK SHIT FUkk WOLD WHATS WONG WITH YOU"

"Miyamoto-saaaan!"

TEJ

the guy is great at making incredibly excessive, but highly entertaining cutscenes

Most of the time less is more, but kojima does the opposite in ways that I can't help but love

He earned it, he's a great director. His weakness lies in his writing, not his direction and cinematography.

His writing is sometimes really good as well, at least for the context and the story/character arcs are usually very competent and fleshed out (sometimes a bit too much, haha). He's way more understanding of story structure than many game designers. I mean yeah, he's wacky as hell, but I think the MGS games in general have far, far better storytelling and writing than other "cinematic" games like Uncharted. Uncharted has pretty good dialogue and characters, but the stories in 2 and 3 are severely unfocused.

As over the top and nonsensical as MGS is, when you look at the actual core narratives, it's pretty straightforward. They always have this central theme that resonates through the entire story and that ends up defining the characters (for example the impact The Boss' actions have upon not only Snake, but Eva as well). For better or worse, the story and characters in his games linger in my mind far longer than most in the industry. MGS3 just celebrated it's tenth year, and that ending still gives me goosebumps.

Top Bottom