• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most Disappointing 2014 - Destiny Vs. AC Unity and Halo MCC vs Driveclub

Delt31

I don't claim to be a fortune teller but this year it is SO easy to narrow down most disappointing Game Overall (Destiny vs AC Unity) and Most Disappointing Technical Issue (Halo MCC vs Driveclub). I thought why wait - let's discuss now.

For me, although Unity was a complete mess, it's still Destiny just consider how large of an effort supposedly was put it and how much was promised and then not delivered or purposely held back for shady DLC.

Technical issue - that's prob Halo MCC. Yes DC is still busted, yes PS Plus is no where to be found but DC is not an established franchise for Sony. Halo on the other hand is MS' golden goose and for them to literally have it launch broken (as MP is what the game is built for), it's unacceptable.

Thoughts?

EDIT- there are two categories here. One is overall and the other technical. No way MCC is overall just technical. Watchdogs although disappointing was still OK so left it off.

EDIT 2 - Seems like DESTINY is in the lead for most disappointing overall HOWEVER there are a lot of differing opinions. Interested. Driveclub taking the lead for Technical issues.

Hatchtag

Banned
Destiny or MCC for me. Destiny was dissappointing and I will probably never like it. On the other hand, I was really god damn hyped for MCC, and its really dissappointing that it doesn't work, though it could work in the future.
EDIT: Misread and thought it was a four way battle, not two seperate ones.

andreyblade

Neo Member
Unity for me, it's not just the bugs but also the lackluster story and the microtransactions. Destiny, for better or worse, is just slightly behind it

Kssio_Aug

Maybe Halo will be mostly fixed today (hopefully). That said, my biggest disappointment is DriveClub, since they havent released the plus version yet... Or did they? (Need to check it)

for me it was Destiny, i returned the game just a few days later which i havent done with any other game yet, it just wasnt what i expected it to be

Deku Tree

Why choose only those games? Destiny is on oT10 in community so lots of people are not Disappointed by it probably.

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
Destiny is literally the worst game i have played in a decade. Except for the music and graphics ofc

Eolz

Definitely Destiny considering all that was behind (developer, budget, promises, etc).
AC was always going to be AC, bugs or not. It's not a surprise that it's the same old tired formula, without secondary gameplay like black flag, and marketing on graphics.
Driveclub was a disappointment, but never looked too hot, some people overhyped it believing it'd be a Forza/GT killer when it always looked like just a next gen racing game.
MCC is a remake and a system seller, they will fix it. Still a deception, but nothing as big as others.

Nibel

Assassin's Creed Unity was not that surprising coming from that publisher.

Master Chief Collection has a lot of issues as well.

But Destiny is rotten to its core compared to the MCC; the other two games suffer from technical issues but this one has dozens of bigger problems than that. Ironically, I think Destiny had the least technical issues of all of them.

Nyx

Haven't played Unity or Halo MCC

Destiny was fun, for a week.
DriveClub is the best damn racer in years, screw the haters.

pelican

A package which contains all 4 full price games disappointment of the year? Hardly.

Yes - there are matchmaking issues, which have effected myself, but it hardly qualifies the game for this unfortunate accolade.

wachie

1. Unity
2. Unity
3. Unity
4. Unity

Here's why, atleast Microsoft and Sony didn't stoop to the level Ubishit has sunken to.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It's Destiny. Nothing's even close. Like, ACU is still an AC game. It's disappointment is that it's a slightly buggier mess than the last one, but it's still a buggy yearly AC title. Driveclub is the most spectacular failure of a launch, but while it had its fanbase, I remember it getting a lot of 'meh' reactions at preview events from general gaming public and press. Halo is disappointing, but it's an 'HD collection' and it's nothing compared to the Destiny hype.

I remember when they talked about Destiny they would compare it to World of Warcraft + Halo, this huge world you could explore, this amazing game you would keep playing years and years from now. That it was going to change gaming, that you would fall in love with the PVP and PVE in this amazing, immersive world. And then you got Borderlands 2.5 with nicer graphics and MMO dailies.

Nothing disappointing about MCC in my opinion, it's a fanastic compilation that enhances 3 brilliant games and then adds brand new content all of it's own. Yes the first week had it's problems (though the single player kept me going) but that's a short term problem of an extremely long term game.

gdt

160 hours into Destiny.....it's probably my Goty. I was pretty disappointed with everyone else at launch though. Just grabbed me hard and hasn't let go. I'm losing sleep playing this game.

Even though I haven't picked it up yet, sounds like MCC is the disappointment for me. I was really looking forward to it and it's definitely the reason to pick up an XB1 for me.

Apenheul

I haven't played AC:Unity (and have no interest in playing it) and Halo:MCC yet, but Destiny and Drive Club I've played briefly at Sony Japan. Of those two DC was a big letdown for me because it was so inconsistent graphically and dated in terms of design (reset-counter the moment one of your tires touches a pixel of sand, long tracks with very few interesting features). 30 minutes wasn't enough to get a good impression of Destiny so I can't comment on that one, although I believe it deserves the criticism it received because nothing about it seemed masterpiece-material to me.

DriveClub is the biggest fuck up so far. Delayed by a year. Sony then said people who upgraded from the PS+ version to the full version would lose the game if their PS+ sub lapsed, which they backtracked on after complaints, then it launched with very little content and the online element has been broken for over 6 weeks, leading them to delay the PS+ version indefinitely. The new IP thing carries some weight, but then it was made by a studio that's put out other racing games before.

I think Halo is a little more forgiveable, given the amount of content involved and that it's 4 games and not just 1. Also, the devs seem to be far more on the ball when it comes to rolling out patches, although it remains to be seen if today's patch fixes the matchmaking issues.

AC: Unity has been alright for me on the Xbox One. Certainly not a flawless experience, but far from the unplayable buggy mess I was expecting after reading some comments about it. I'm enjoying the game too, so I can't say I'm disappointed with it, although obviously it could have done with a little longer in the oven before being served up. I haven't played Destiny.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Out of those I played.

1. Watch_Dogs
2. Destiny

They aren't bad games by any mean, imo, but they could have been so much more (and they PROMISED so much more.)

I never understand these threads, if you haven't played any of those games, how can you judge if it's terrible or horrible. You are basically basing your opinion off of someone else's standard, which may not represent your standard. It's a clueless guess nothing more.

GamerJM

Banned
The only one I played was Destiny, and honestly Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney and Bravely Default were both more disappointing to me by a decent margin. But I still haven't really sunk my teeth into Destiny so eh.

Destiny is an abortion. I hate that I own it digitally. DC is worse online launch since BF4 it's been a month. If MCC isn't fixed today and goes on another week or so then it's up there too.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Destiny, hands down.
With all the other games you pretty much knew what you were getting.
A new AC, a driving game and a re-release of old Halo games.

Destiny had the chance to be something completly new and fresh, something we've never seen before. And out of all the games it had the most hype behind it.
The biggest problems of AC, DC, and MCC (uhm, I feel like there is a pattern here) are technical problems, but Destiny is just disappointing as a game.

yes PS Plus is no where to be found but DC is not an established franchise for Sony.
That makes it even worse in my opinion.

Most disappointing for me is Destiny and I saw it coming a mile away from the alpha/beta. Also I actually liked AC Unity,other stuff plaguing people for Unity didn't bother me. Microtransactions....nope didnt bother buying it,framerate.....nope I mean it had issues but not enough from me enjoying the game. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Destiny = Assassin's Creed: Unity

If we're doing side-by-side comparisons of these games. Destiny because it was marketed as the next big thing in console gaming that will revolutionize the landscape of gaming as we know it - or something. And while people enjoy it for the MMO, it really does nothing special.

Assassin's Creed: Unity is apparently a good game. So once Ubisoft gets around to fixing the terrible optimization and performance aspect it's generally agreed to be one of the better games in the series. I'll find out once it's fixed and cheap.

Which was worse? I think a new IP has a better chance at rebounding down the line and an established brand ultimately takes damage which time will tell how bad.

Halo:MCC > Driveclub

Both technical online disasters considering they were the pillar of their respective holiday launchs but I personally think Halo the brand is probably the third or so biggest IP in the business and it does deserve better. After Halo 4 apparently hurt the brand I think two mis-steps in a row is pretty devastating on the whole. They need to aggressive get Halo 5 into people's hands well in advance of their 2015 line-up.

Driveclub on the other hand was never intended to be ... Halo. What they have successfully done with destroyed a brand before it even got off the ground. There is a slim chance they can save the IP but it will need drastic measures to ensure any chance of a successful sequel. The PS+ edition needs to be the full game at this point to stand any chance.

I never understand these threads, if you haven't played any of those games, how can you judge if it's terrible or horrible. You are basically basing your opinion off of someone else's standard, which may not represent your standard. It's a clueless guess nothing more.

It sounds to me like most of the people posting are talking about the games they did play. Not sure where you're getting it from that people didn't play these games.

Destiny is the best game of the year so far, despite some legit, and some overblown problems (the biggest of which is that fact that its so awesome that people are clamoring for more).

Halo MCC will probably be just fine once matchmaking is sorted.

Driveclub is a major fuckup, especially not having the ps+ version out, which feels like a broken promise on top of a broken game.

Unity is just another AC game, and I personally thought that series went down the toilet about four sequels ago.

My personal pick is a different great game that disappointed: Dark Souls 2. I'm just talking the base game, because I haven't checked out the DLC at all, but it just felt a bit off throughout... Except for Majula. Majula is my favorite town.

Isn't Unity quite a decent game if we get past all of the technical issues? I'd say that belongs in the 'technically disappointing category' at least as much as Halo. An argument could probably be made for Watch Dogs in the 'disappointing game that does not live up to promises' alongside Destiny.

Konosuke

Why choose only those games? Destiny is on oT10 in community so lots of people are not Disappointed by it probably.

That means nothing. Destiny was hyped to hell and back and it didn't live up to it. It has great gunplay and the raid is awesome, but it's a major disappointment.

jim2011

Oh stop it with including Halo. There's a high probability it will be fixed today, just one week after launch. Plus I was able to play through halo 1-3 already in that time (haven't had enough time for 4 yet).

Drive club is probably the most dissppointing as I doubt the version I was going to get will ever come out (ps plus).

Destiny is pretty bad but at least I got to play what I planned to.

Long term disappointment is much more important than short term.

mackattk

Out of the gate? Halo MCC, just because of the expectations the game has because it is a halo game and the associated problems. But these will be fixed soon.

Overall? Destiny. Game just didn't live up to the hype, and the lack of players playing inline reflects that.

I actually think all of these are good, though with the disclaimer that I haven't played MCC and Destiny only the beta. DriveClub I completely love (motion driving is wonderful) and AC:Unity is amazing. I do hear a lot of complaints about Destiny being too basic and low on content, but I'm balancing that out against the number of people on my friendslist that are still playing it tonnes.

It may be disappointing that there are technical issues, but overall I think none of these are even in the candidates list unless you are easily hyped. There are a tonne worse games out there.

vanx0

Unity.

Having a blast with Destiny (believe it or not, it is hella fun if you have people to play with).

Cheers

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Destiny. Its going to be hard for me to ever regret a purchase as much as the digital version of Destiny, its barebones shit and theyre constantly trying to advertise the rest of the game for another £35-£40 which is... beyond all sanity.

Other games have had huge shitting technical problems, but they are at least full-games in there when that stuff gets (hopefully) fixed.

For me, Dark Souls II was a huge disappointment, but obviously not in the same ways and is still a good "full" game. I have felt like 2014 has been a hugely disappointing year for games by and large with so many slipping to next year, but that then makes 2015 one of those insane unapproachable years of content.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Destiny is my disappointment of the gen. As a fan of Bungie, and with that budget and hype, I expected something big. Instead, we get a POS campaign in all aspects. Story, missions, every goddamn thing about that campaign was, simply, shit.

Go to point B -> deploy ghost -> kill kill kill -> back to the menu.

Most disappointing to me is Destiny. I don't think it's a bad game, but what I got vs. what I expected was a big disappointment. It may be the most disappointing game of my life, even. That is what I get for buying too much into the hype. I still played it and for the most part enjoyed what I played, but that doesn't make it any less disappointing given the expectations I and many others had.

Destiny, I played through the story having very little fun and just stopped after that, I haven't touched the game since the week of release. That game was a HUGE disappointment for me.
Destiny. Its going to be hard for me to ever regret a purchase as much as the digital version of Destiny, its barebones shit and theyre constantly trying to advertise the rest of the game for another £35-£40 which is... beyond all sanity.

Same, I REALLY wish I didn't preload that game.

Destiny for waste of money. Just couldn't get into it.

I've been annoyed at Driveclub more due to being able to get 2 lag free races since it launched. I'd be more annoyed at Halo if I wasn't playing through the campaigns instead of trying to get into matchmaking.

Top Bottom