• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most Disappointing 2014 - Destiny Vs. AC Unity and Halo MCC vs Driveclub

Has to be Driveclub for me. Delayed for what essentially amounted to a year... and then it comes out... and people can't even play the game.

I don't understand how a studio that made such great games before this could bungle a huge game launch so badly.

This is what I mean by people chiming in and haven't even played the game. This statement alone is "and people can't even play the game." is why I don't like these threads. You could play day and you could play online day one, it wasn't consistent and features was missing, but you could play online day one.

Mendax

1. Unity
2. Unity
3. Unity
4. Unity

Here's why, atleast Microsoft and Sony didn't stoop to the level Ubishit has sunken to.

it is just an unoptimized game that they are currently optimizing, its not that bad. microtransactions are only timesavers like previous AC games and it has more content that most of the previous games combined.

microsoft and their pay 2 win casual games at full price were/are way worse...

DriveClub is the biggest fuck up so far. Delayed by a year. Sony then said people who upgraded from the PS+ version to the full version would lose the game if their PS+ sub lapsed, which they backtracked on after complaints, then it launched with very little content and the online element has been broken for over 6 weeks, leading them to delay the PS+ version indefinitely. The new IP thing carries some weight, but then it was made by a studio that's put out other racing games before.

Really? Then what the hell have I been playing online for the past 5 weeks then?

GlamFM

Banned
The problems with Driveclub and Asscreed are completely different. Unity was unfinished. DC developers basically just hit some bad luck.

They were granted a one year delay and still couldn't figure out how to make the game work...

Define "bad luck".

This is what I mean by people chiming in and haven't even played the game. This statement alone is "and people can't even play the game." is why I don't like these threads.

Do you have to play these games to be able to see the issues surrounding them and coming to enough of a conclusion to have a discussion with other gamers about the issues and how it will negatively impact the future of the brands? No.

Destiny kills me. THe game is good. It could have been a fucking master piece, a space epic but it's just good. I played it non stop for 2 months because I have fun with it but it's mindblowing how much it's flawed and how much is missing and how basic tweaks could improve it yet bungie's been sitting on their money nerfing shit and not fixing anything

WD was utter crap.

Driveclub is amazing. Too bad online doesn't work

Clearly there was some massive issues in its development

I am actually surprised how well the current game runs given how hard of a time AAA developers are having making actual working games nowadays

You make a great point, but I'm still baffled by the fact that a lot of that stuff didn't make it in. I'm still crossing my fingers that there will be free updates (HA!) that at least add different game types for PvP.

Marcel

Destiny, easily. Content so light and soft you could rest on it like a pillow. After all, you may need to take a nap after repeating the same missions over and over.

Do you have to play these games to be able to see the issues surrounding them and coming to enough of a conclusion to have a discussion with other gamers about the issues and how it will negatively impact the future of the brands? No.

Yes, because if you going to make a claim about how disappointing something is come from a place of authenticity, not regurgitating someone else's opinion.

Destiny has some weirdly addictive power. I have never seen a game where people will have played it 200+ hours and still tell me how much they hate the game.

MCC for me. Mostly because ita Halo. Driveclub has worse problems than it but it doesn't matter as much. asscreed has serious in game bugs where as MCC has party and matchmaking problems.

In the grand scheme of things MCC is less broken and more of an inconvenience but its Halo so the weight of these bugs rests heavily on it.

Destiny disappointed me so much I literally make faces when I see it in my library. The BS of that game is well documented.

Driveclub for a while was the only reason I would turn on my ps4. I'm a racing nut. After a month of almost pure frustration from both a technical and gameplay standpoint, I don't feel like the amount of time I spent trying to play/have fun is worth t at all. I'll return when its a fully featured title and things mature, but for now the game provides too much frustration for me to turn on my ps4.

AC:U.......well, I actually have enjoyed playing the game. Apart from performance issues which don't seem to bother me unless I try to see them, I'm okay with the game. Maybe its because I haven't actually played an Assassin's Creed game in a long while.

Haven't played MCC so can't comment.

Solidsoul

Banned
I don't claim to be a fortune teller but this year it is SO easy to narrow down most disappointing Game (Destiny vs AC Unity) and technical issue (Halo MCC vs Driveclub). I thought why wait - let's discuss now.

For me, although Unity was a complete mess, it's still Destiny just consider how large of an effort supposedly was put it and how much was promised and then not delivered or purposely held back for shady DLC.

Technical issue - that's prob Halo MCC. Yes DC is still busted, yes PS Plus is no where to be found but DC is not an established franchise for Sony. Halo on the other hand is MS' golden goose and for them to literally have it launch broken (as MP is what the game is built for), it's unacceptable.

Thoughts?

Edit there are two categories here. One is overall and the other technical. No way MCC is overall just technical. Watchdogs although disappointing was still OK so left it off

Nah dude, Campaign is the reason i buy these games. While not as many people as for multiplayer there are many out there who buy them for campaign specifically.

It was very disappointing MCC didn't work as everyone expected, but ultimately the biggest disappointment for me was Destiny. It was a game i thought might not be my thing but would for sure be a high quality experience, it turned out to not even be a good game.

Have to agree with this, someone on the design team though horde mode the game was a good idea. Scan static item and fight waves of enemies over and over, while some dumb robot rambles off.

Hey at least that gameplay hook focuses on the one thing the game does well

The gunfights

I mean the criticisms stand on steady ground sure...... but i would be a liar to say I didnt enjoy the hours I put in.

It is a very incomplete game... like its jarring how transparent it is in the game. You can literally see what the Wanted to do versus what they were able to deliver. Thats the biggest diappointment

Sold a beta pitch product as a full game and then throw in the next 2 expansions for 30 bucks.

Reading all those posts about destiny makes me feel kind of weird liking the game :)

To me it´s cleary Watchdogs, because I haven´t touched Unity yet.

Raxus

Destiny.

I was already cautious that AC:U could have turned out bad. The fact it turned out as bad as it did was still a surprise but Destiny had my highest expectations and it failed the most.

jim2011

Have to agree with this, someone on the design team though horde mode the game was a good idea. Scan static item and fight waves of enemies over and over, while some dumb robot rambles off.

I never thought of it that way but you're right. That's basically what destiny is. Horde mode with a hover bike you can't shoot from.

EL CUCO

Not Destiny.

I like to jump around from game to game and it's the only game this year thats been able to curb my trophy hunting lust. I'm over 300 hrs in and loving it

And it was never broken.

Marcel

Unity or Watch Dogs would win in a Destiny-less year though. But the real issue is I have no expectations for Ubisoft games and you shouldn't either. They are the junk food game factory. If you know them even the slightest, you know what you're getting into.

I must say I'm kinda surprised that Destiny and Unity are considered so disappointing that over 125 posts later not a single person has mentioned either Elder Scrolls Online or The Sims 4.

a.wd

This is what I mean by people chiming in and haven't even played the game. This statement alone is "and people can't even play the game." is why I don't like these threads. You could play day and you could play online day one, it wasn't consistent and features was missing, but you could play online day one.

I own/ed DC/MCC/Destiny Unity I was holding off (after Destiny, was not going to be burned by hype) between a comprehensive playthrough at a buddies and user reports flooding in, I don't think I am unqualified to have my opinions on any of these games. I do appreciate that repeating verbatim some reports from very vocal protesters is a bad plan, but tbh especially when it come to DC the fact that it was delayed a year was used as a bait and switch for PS+ and then didn't deliver on the club part of its name is like a 3 strike thing. If you appreciated the single player thats fine, but as a package technically it is a failure, and Evolution should have been better in communication.

Karamsoul

Dragon Age: Inquisition and Alien Isolation redeemed 2014 for me. Heard Forza Horizon 2 is pretty amazing as well.

But yeah, MCC, Watch_Dogs, Destiny, and Unity are some high profile games that either promised way too much and under-delivered, or are still swamped with horrid technical issues.

1. Destiny: I'm glad that i didn't purchase it digitally, such a waste of time, already traded in

2. AC: Unity: This could've been one of my personal greatest games of all time, but Ubi failed hard time on the technical front and - even worse - didn't manage to step up the gameplay part as promised. I put it back into the case and will continue to play in summer when most of the bugs and technical issues are maybe ironed out.

3. MCC:
I nearly bought the bundle, but instead went to a friend at launch day and waited half an hour to connect to a MP patch, eventually we gave up and tried co-op which also had many problems. We decided to wait 3 days, met again and had the exact same experience. Yesterday my friend texted me that he wasn't able to get into one single MP game even one week after launch and therefore traded the MCC for GTA V. This game can still sell me the One, I'll look into it next month.

4. Driveclub:
I think my all time high for hype was in February 2014 but I managed to settle my expectations until release. Since I got home a few days after launch I knew that online was and still is a mess, so I treated the game like a normal (offline) arcade racer. The campain was solid albeit a bit short, graphics a stunner and the handling perfekt. I traded the game in for COD: AW and will buy it again when everything works and with all DLCs since it's still a massive letdown from what I originally expected.

Derpyduck

Banned
The problems with Driveclub and Asscreed are completely different. Unity was unfinished. DC developers basically just hit some bad luck.

Bad luck? The devs were granted a nearly full year delay and still only managed to release an incredibly broken game that didn't include replays, didn't include a photo mode, didn't include weather, and only managed to release with the most bare-bones, boring single player campaign I've seen in a racing game in years. DC's problem wasn't bad luck. It was bad design, bad development, and bad decision making.

I own/ed DC/MCC/Destiny Unity I was holding off (after Destiny, was not going to be burned by hype) between a comprehensive playthrough at a buddies and user reports flooding in, I don't think I am unqualified to have my opinions on any of these games. I do appreciate that repeating verbatim some reports from very vocal protesters is a bad plan, but tbh especially when it come to DC the fact that it was delayed a year was used as a bait and switch for PS+ and then didn't deliver on the club part of its name is like a 3 strike thing. If you appreciated the single player thats fine, but as a package technically it is a failure, and Evolution should have been better in communication.

dap-o.gif

rayisbeast

Neo Member
How did everyone forget the million error codes that destiny had? People were getting disconnected multiple times every day. I still haven't gone through a full raid without someone getting dropped out of the game at least once. Destiny was broken 100%. i haven't played it in two weeks so I don't know how much they fixed from that. Everyone on here must have a short memory if they think Destiny wasn't broken.

MCC.

DriveClub was really bad. It was terribly bad. I was far more excited for MCC though and I expected MS and 343i to have the game working at release. It's Microsoft's flagship franchise and I could never have imagined that they would allow a release to get this out of hand.

When it's fixed I imagine it will be glorious but the game is already tainted for me.

I'm having no issues whatsoever with Unity. It's been a fun game so far. A little formulaic but that's par for the course with Assassin's Creed games.

As for Destiny, I was more disappointed in the story than any technical issues the game may have had.

barit

Destiny cuz of the false promises and AC:U because Ubisoft treats customers like idiots every fucking time.

DriveClub had only bad luck with MP part. Everything else was top notch from the beginning

Marcel

How did everyone forget the million error codes that destiny had? People were getting disconnected multiple times every day. I still haven't gone through a full raid without someone getting dropped out of the game at least once. Destiny was broken 100%. i haven't played it in two weeks so I don't know how much they fixed from that. Everyone on here must have a short memory if they think Destiny wasn't broken.

Apparently the raid is still broken after all this time. You know, the only thing left to repeat after all the other repeated content.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

Assassin's Creed was unfinished because it had a bad framerate and a few hilarious glitches, but DC was just bad luck even though a major component of the game doesn't work?

cheezcake

Destiny...

I just don't understand, my favourite developer given basically unlimited time and money to build the game of their dreams, and thats what came out

pronk420

probably Destiny, since I wasn't expecting anything from Unity anyway. also really disappointed with halo:mcc since it would be awesome to have all the halo together like that.

driveclub isn't so much of a disappointment because its still completely functional as a single player racing game, and i don't like multiplayer in racing games anyway. its kind of average, but not bad.

Marcel

Destiny...

I just don't understand, my favourite developer given basically unlimited time and money to build the game of their dreams, and thats what came out

Not unlimited time, if the rumors of Bungie having to push the game out the door are to be believed.

Konosuke

Assassin's Creed was unfinished because it had a bad framerate and a few hilarious glitches, but DC was just bad luck even though a major component of the game doesn't work?

DC's online worked before release date before millions tried to connect, framerate is solid and there are no glitches. So yeah, you can call it bad luck.

Titanfall.png

I'd argue that this was the biggest disappointment. Maybe it's just me, but the hype around this game was surreal.

The fact that people even forgot about it, a few months after release, speaks volumes.

There have been some good games this year, but in general I feel like this year hasn't did any favors for this new generation. These guys really need to get their shit together. Any game that gets a shitload of hype but hits shelves with all of these problems, I mean... it's unacceptable and inexcusable. This thread shouldn't even exist, but it does, and that's a problem.

So, I don't have a biggest disappointment. I've only played bits of some of these games. Spent about 4-5 hours with Destiny. But I was super hyped for Driveclub, Halo, and Assassin's Creed and to see all this disappointment, these over-hyped letdowns instead of fun and good times... that's my biggest disappointment.

Top Bottom