• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alienware Alpha first impressions and benchmarks

I am writing this post on my 55" plasma while lying in couch via this:

logitech_k400_2_091629034662_640x360.jpg

while my steam is silently updating my Project CARS in the background.

PC gaming life is sweet :D

I grabbed one at Best Buy today. Made setup of the Alpha a breeze.

Wow looks great. Hope everything goes as good as hoped! Keep us posted

Well I got home and set the system up a bit ago. Took around eight minutes from plugging in until downloading games on Steam. The wireless keyboard worked well, and the usb plug for it fits in the interior USB cubby port.

So far the system has been almost whisper quiet. About to fire up some Goat Simulator to break it in! I am quite mitten with this system, and just ordered the carrying bag so I can take it with me when I travel.

Do I have to have internet connectivity to play a game in Steam?

Denton

I grabbed one at Best Buy today. Made setup of the Alpha a breeze.

Well I got home and set the system up a bit ago. Took around eight minutes from plugging in until downloading games on Steam. The wireless keyboard worked well, and the usb plug for it fits in the interior USB cubby port.

So far the system has been almost whisper quiet. About to fire up some Goat Simulator to break it in! I am quite mitten with this system, and just ordered the carrying bag so I can take it with me when I travel.

Ha, enjoy :)

You need internet to download games, but other than that no unless multiplayer. Steam has functioning offline mode (used to be iffy in the past, but for me at least it has worked consistently well this past year and even before then).

And damn, Goat Simulator? What's with this thing.
Go here:
https://www.humblebundle.com/
https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

And get 11 games for 12 bucks. Test out Saints Row 4. And those free games.

update: Goat simulator seems to have no controller options. The interface in terms of getting out of a game and back to my library is baffling. There is no way that someone could have an Alpha and not still have a keyboard and mouse attached to it.

Steam Big Picture Mode needs serious work.

That said, I am still having a blast with this thing. The console is almost entirely quiet. Much quieter than a PS4/XB1

YOU MEAN LIKE BIG PICTURE MODE??

Yes, but I mainly mean in regards to the whole SteamOS initiative and Steam Machines. Choosing to go with linux gives up their greatest advantage imo, which is the vast game library on Steam.

I think the approach Alienware took with still using Windows and a Windows license but with a layer on top would have been something Valve could do much better. Of course that doesn't get around Valve's efforts to try and divorce themselves from the Windows ecosystem and the looming 'app store' future Microsoft wanted.

Connex

Neo Member
update: Goat simulator seems to have no controller options. The interface in terms of getting out of a game and back to my library is baffling. There is no way that someone could have an Alpha and not still have a keyboard and mouse attached to it.

Steam Big Picture Mode needs serious work.

That said, I am still having a blast with this thing. The console is almost entirely quiet. Much quieter than a PS4/XB1

Hold down the Xbox 360 home button on the controller while playing a game via Steam big picture mode. It should bring up a prompt asking if you'd like to exit the game and return to your library

xJavonta

Banned
Really considering one of these. An i3 is actually a very capable processor (still running my 2100 to this day) and something with an i5 and 8GB of ram would last me for YEARS. How upgradeable is the HDD on this thing? And has anyone here ever tried loading games from a AC powered USB 3.0 external HDD? That way you could throw an SSD in it and make this the ultimate HTPC machine.

I just tried to install the Alpha UI on my PC lmao. No luck

mrklaw

MrArseFace
There's more here:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00OYSC2TQ/
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00OYSBU26/

AFAIK, the £568 one is the i5 model and the £667 one is the i7 (£32 cheaper than buying directly from Alienware).

Thanks, couldn't see those before - only overpriced ones from third party sellers.

£568 is a good price I think for the i5, and a quad core will definitely have better legs than the i3. Has anyone done a benchmark like in the OP, but with the i5? Games are probably GPU limited but would be curious to see if there is an improvement with the i5

Edit: would be curious about updating it an SSD - is there anything special about the setup that would make a backup/restore difficult? Eg hidden partitions etc

Tak3n

Banned
Thanks, couldn't see those before - only overpriced ones from third party sellers.

£568 is a good price I think for the i5, and a quad core will definitely have better legs than the i3. Has anyone done a benchmark like in the OP, but with the i5? Games are probably GPU limited but would be curious to see if there is an improvement with the i5

Edit: would be curious about updating it an SSD - is there anything special about the setup that would make a backup/restore difficult? Eg hidden partitions etc

you would need to find out what you can touch and what you can in regards to warranty I think...

even though they say you can change the processor I wonder if that affects your warranty

The i5 model is back to $800 on Amazon (was $733 yesterday).

Bummer.

Would be inclined to bite if it could go sub $700. Just not sure how long the low end model remains viable.

Nzyme32

Not sure how it works exclusively in big picture mode, but you should be able to play the majority of games without issue offline, but I have found that you need to be online and set steam to log in via offline mode once. After that you should be able to do it without issue anytime.

Extremetech have a rich history of missing the point.

Yeah, but this review is missing the point by an even wider margin the usual.

ExtremeTech said:
if you want the full PC gaming experience, just buy a full tower

The whole point is having a small, attractive piece of equipment beneath the television in your living room. And there's a very large amount of (indie) games on Steam that will run great on even the lowest spec Alpha.

Day one update:

I love the hardware. It is small, quiet, and easy to use. I turned the alien led off so it looks a little less tacky. The custom UI is nice and simple to use as well.

That said, Steam Big Picture mode is a pile of hot garbage. It makes it simply impossible to use the Alpha without having a mouse and keyboard handy at almost all times.

I'm still really liking the hardware, but definitely can't see this micro pc/console being someone's only gaming system. It is just a bit too clunky as many games listed as being controller supported still need mouse/keyboard and Big Picture Mode being garbage.

I'm going to experiment with Fallout 3 mods tonight. First I have to figure out how to find and install mods. :)

orava

Day one update:

I love the hardware. It is small, quiet, and easy to use. I turned the alien led off so it looks a little less tacky. The custom UI is nice and simple to use as well.

That said, Steam Big Picture mode is a pile of hot garbage. It makes it simply impossible to use the Alpha without having a mouse and keyboard handy at almost all times.

I'm still really liking the hardware, but definitely can't see this micro pc/console being someone's only gaming system. It is just a bit too clunky as many games listed as being controller supported still need mouse/keyboard and Big Picture Mode being garbage.

I'm going to experiment with New Vegas mods tonight. First I have to figure out how to find and install mods. :)

I have been using big picture couple years now with xbox controller and it's been working great. What's wrong with it?

Denton

Day one update:

I'm going to experiment with Fallout 3 mods tonight. First I have to figure out how to find and install mods. :)

Huh..I have been using Big Picture and it works perfectly with controller...I really wonder what issues you have with it.

What sucks is that some games require mouse for some initial setup/launchers, but those are marked as keyboard requiring. Some are even marked as "requires mouse and keyboard" despite the fact that they work with controller on every launch besides the first one (like Lords of the Fallen which I am playing now, it requires you accept some EULA on first launch with mouse, on every other launch controller works right away).
Hopefully companies will stop requiring mouse in initial launchers as living room PC gaming gets more widespread.

With all that said, the 20 buck K400 has me covered anyway.

orava

Too bad the steam controller is not ready yet. It defaults to keyboard and mouse and you can just use the controller when needed.

Nzyme32

Day one update:

Interesting that BPM is the biggest issue. I haven't had any problems with it myself but I also don't use it regularly or with games that have only partial or no controller support, and usually have a wireless keyboard and mouse around for mouse and keyboard only stuff.

I know that there is a lot left to do in BPM in terms of matching the normal desktop version too. I suppose the steam controller is the only real answer for getting full on support from a single controller (assuming they actually get it to work as they intend)

Connex

Neo Member
Day one update:

I use Big Picture mode exclusively both at home and at local FGC events. What issues have you had with the interface?

The Alpha arrived on Friday morning. I've been using it to play Dark Souls and Valkyria Chronicles. Even during gaming it's silent. Can't tell which is noisier - Wii U or Alpha. They're both quiet.

And Geforce Experience and Gamestream both work using 2.1.3, which is not the latest version. This is be because the Dell-supplied graphics are at 338.xx while GeForce Experience 2.1.4 requires 344.48.

Denton

The Alpha arrived on Friday morning. I've been using it to play Dark Souls and Valkyria Chronicles. Even during gaming it's silent. Can't tell which is noisier - Wii U or Alpha. They're both quiet.

And Geforce Experience and Gamestream both work using 2.1.3, which is not the latest version. This is be because the Dell-supplied graphics are at 338.xx while GeForce Experience 2.1.4 requires 344.48.

I assume it will update these applications and drivers by itself ? How does that work anyway?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
so as expected the usual "build it yourself for cheaper" reviews have started

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/1...s-but-its-not-the-gaming-pc-youre-looking-for

Seems to be an honest, level headed review to me. I'm interested in seeing how today's games like Dragon Age, CoD AW, and Assassin's Creed Unity run on the base model. If you need to step up to a much more expensive $700-$800 model to get half decent performance then that's a tough pill to swallow.

I've watched some clips of games running on the base model with great interest, but noticed the only games it was running at high settings and 60fps (not solid), were last gen games. For AW they went with a more expensive i5 unit, so that could be pretty telling. For me $550 is a real sweet price, but if it's no better (or worse) than what I currently have, I'd rather keep sitting on the fence. I really like the look of Valve's new controller and will probably just keep watching this segment of the PC market.

The console form factor is exactly what I want. I also hope the UI improves, as it sounds rather clunky if you can't simply get by with a controller.

I assume it will update these applications and drivers by itself ? How does that work anyway?

Supposedly Geforce Experience will update software and drivers automatically if the user allows it.

I've turned off auto-update and choose to manually update drivers myself. So far The latest Nvidia Drivers aren't detecting the custom GTX gpu. These drivers include WHQL 344.48, 344.60, 344.75, and Beta Hotfix 344.80. So for now the only drivers that work with that Alpha is the custom Dell-supplied drivers - 338.xx (I forget the last digits and I can't check right now. )

Not that it's a bad thing. It works perfectly fine how it is.

Disclaimer - I'm not saying that future Nvidia drivers won't work when they release later on. It is a new product after all and there should be a new set of WHQL drivers coming in the new week.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Since the GPU can't be replaced I wonder if there's any chance of them selling a sort of motherboard/GPU combo in the future? Or is that too far fetched?

Also with the Alienware X51 is there any reason why they never released a seperate, larger PSU?

So far The latest Nvidia Drivers aren't detecting the custom GTX gpu. These drivers include WHQL 344.48, 344.60, 344.75, and Beta Hotfix 344.80. So for now the only drivers that work with that Alpha is the custom Dell-supplied drivers - 338.xx

This is my biggest worry about the Alpha. Dell has always been pretty bad in supplying driver updates for their customized hardware.

PC World has a nice review up now:

Running Far Cry 4 alongside the Xbox One, it was clear the Alpha was superior in graphics quality.

The Alienware Alpha should be viewed as a great console complement, rather than a replacement. The Alpha isn’t smooth enough to be the hardcore console gamer's sole experience, especially if that gamer wants the carefully controlled environment of the consoles. If that console gamer, however, wanted to sail the vast ocean of PC gaming, where fantastic titles can be had for a pittance, the Alpha would be a wonderful addition to a shelf that already holds the Xbox One, PS4, Ouya and Wii.

alienware_alpha_smallpcs-100532171-large.png

Still a little rich for my blood, but this is definitely on my wish list. Would love to see a sale similar to the one OP got, where the mid-range dropped down to $633 on Amazon.

Hell, just checked and even the low-end model that had been $550 is back up to almost $700.

Won't be under the Christmas tree, but could be a sweet Father's Day/Birthday gift for me come mid next year.

shoplifter

i'm getting closer to wanting it but I still think I'm going to wait until the next revision when we should see a nice GPU bump. It's a great piece of tech at a great price for the super small footprint.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Me too. I think this might be exactly what I'm looking for, but I'll skip the first generation. Hopefully the next one has a bit better specs. Some reviews I read said it's pretty darn good except for the horrible HDD and no option to get either a 7200 drive or a small secondary SSD just for the OS and select games.

I don't even want to use SteamOS. I just want full Windows so I can play everything I have, even at medium settings. Just for the games I can't play in Parallels on my Macs.

Timan

Developer
Wonder if the xbox 360 receiver can fit in the accessory panel if you take it apart. I'd have to have some dongle sticking out of the back of the machine. Or if theres a way to hide it inside the alpha (prob not)

Wonder if the xbox 360 receiver can fit in the accessory panel if you take it apart. I'd have to have some dongle sticking out of the back of the machine. Or if theres a way to hide it inside the alpha (prob not)

It also has a fairly large cord so i don't see a way to make that happen. I just ended up using that port for my wireless keyboard.

Timan

Developer
It also has a fairly large cord so i don't see a way to make that happen. I just ended up using that port for my wireless keyboard.

Ah didn't even think of that. ugh. I'm curious too how well the i3 model hold up. Do many games/emulators even use more than 2 cores?

Tregard

Soothsayer
I'd love one of these, but damn if it isn't so pricey :/ Buying order has been re-shuffled to PS4, then this, then Xbox One, and then an upgrade to my PC tower. Hopefully in the many years that will have passed while I accrue those funds, the new Nintendo system and Ouya Two
hah
will be ready to go!

That said, if somebody got Guild Wars 2 working with a controller...

Denton

I'd love one of these, but damn if it isn't so pricey :/ Buying order has been re-shuffled to PS4, then this, then Xbox One, and then an upgrade to my PC tower. Hopefully in the many years that will have passed while I accrue those funds, the new Nintendo system and Ouya Two
hah
will be ready to go!

That said, if somebody got Guild Wars 2 working with a controller...

Just yesterday there was a thread on GW2 sale and someone there posted a youtube video playing GW2 with a controller..

found it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8f5XmH33mY

Mithos

Just yesterday there was a thread on GW2 sale and someone there posted a youtube video playing GW2 with a controller..

found it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8f5XmH33mY

Not working with Windows 8.x I believe. (confirmed)

Still no controller support for those of us on Windows 8, correct?

Sadly, no, not with our solution :(** There may be something else out there on the webs that can do just fine though, I'm just not familiar with it.

Until I get a Win8 test bed myself to do some debugging this is an issue for us, sorry :(

** "Our solution" = Xpadder + autohotkey functionality.

Top Bottom