• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country 3 Music Showdown: SNES vs GBA

ReyVGM

dkc3-1.png

As most of you may or may not know, the GBA version of Donkey Kong Country 3, aside from having many good additions and changes to the map layout and story presentation, it also had an entirely new soundtrack composed by the master David Wise. He explained that porting the music to the GBA was basically impossible with the time he had available, so it was easier and faster to just create a new soundtrack. And as expected, it's excellent...
...for the most part. There are several tracks from the SNES version which are damned brilliant and I'm sad they weren't reused in some way. I do not know if those tracks were originally composed by DWise or Eveline Fischer, and I really do not care. This thread is just to determine (in my opinion) which track is better and more fitting.

Thus, here are my self-imposed rules for this versus match:
-I will compare the composition, the melody, and whatever makes a track be good regardless of the soundchip used. I will not compare the quality of the music, because as we all know, the SNES would win in every category.
-I am only going to compare the main tracks, barring a few exceptions.
-I will sometimes compare game sections that have multiple tracks.

A warning: my music terminology is very limited, so my explanations might not be very descriptive or easy to understand if you don't hear the music track in question.

1) Let's start with the Intro/Title Screen/Menu

SNES version:
The music starts with a fanfare, goes into the title screen, and then the main menu.

GBA version:
The music starts with a remix of Aquatic Ambiance for everything until you start the game.

I know that everyone would pick the GBA version purely for being an Aquatic Ambiance remix , it is a good song, and it does fit the new intro... but I'm partial to how the SNES game opens with that enigmatic fanfare. And while the title screen starts with a bunch of monkey sounds, it then develops into a wonderful remix of DKC1's bonus game music. The main menu music is very catchy too.
But since I'm pitting three tracks against one, and the GBA one is indeed excellent, I'm going to declare a tie.
Winner: It's a good tie.​

2) The Map

dkc3-14.png

SNES version:
World Map, Levels Map, Lost World Map

GBA version:
Map

The SNES version is amazing. That mysterious and oppressive World Map track alone and the upbeat Levels Map track trounces the more tropical and passive one from the GBA version (which is used on all the maps). And honestly, that GBA track sounds more fitting for a menu screen, don't you think?
Winner: SNES​

3) First Level, Village

dkc3-2.png

SNES version:
Stilt Village

GBA Version:
Stilt Village

Fantastic song to start the first level, in the GBA version. In my opinion, the SNES version of Stilt Village has a good melody and everything, but the choice of "instruments" gives it sort of a 'dumb, awkward & heavy' feel, which fittingly describes that ridiculous Kiddy Kong character that stars the game.
The GBA version, however, is DWise gold. The music beings with 20 seconds of ambient noise, but then once the melody starts, it never lets go. Around the .54 mark the music pounds your ear drums and switches the melody, by 1:44 it becomes magical, and then it tricks you into thinking the music has restarted, but no, the magic continues until the song ends.
Winner: GBA​

4) The Mills

dkc3-3.png

SNES version:
Mill Fever

GBA version:
Mill Fever

Both songs are good in their own way. What I like about the SNES version is that it feels like a care-free song, trumpeting as if you're just strolling through a vermin-less level. The GBA version has a 'metalic/factory' feel to it, it's not really fitting for these types of stages, but the composition is catchy, and by 1:44 the song adds a new melody which is really nice.

5) The Trees

dkc3-5.png

SNES version:
Treetop Tumble

GBA version:
Treetop Tumble

Ugh... the GBA version is awful for this level. This track would be more fitting for a picnic scene or a menu screen. Compare that to the amazing SNES version... that crushing, frantic and dangerous track fitting for a level that has you hastily climbing the insides of huge trees while an even bigger saw is cutting everything beneath you. The second you hear that song's intro, you'll feel panic.

6) The Snow

dkc3-4.png

SNES version:
Frosty Frolics

GBA version:
Frosty Frolics

Honestly, the GBA version sounds like circus music, it starts and cuts two times to have some native american chant or something? (*edit*, it's yodeling.)
The SNES version is much better, and keeps up with the enigmatic music style the other tracks have. It makes you feel like you're in a snow cave, sliding around danger.

7) The Water

dkc3-11.png

SNES version:
Water World

GBA version:
Water World

This is where I might lose some of you... but the GBA version is (yay! groan...) yet another Aquatic Ambiance remix. While this remix is great, it doesn't hold a candle to the Water music in the SNES version. You see, in DKC3, water levels are not the pretty blue sea-life filled stages from DKC1, in the 3rd game the water levels are dark, uneasy and toxic. Just listen to that SNES track and tell me if you don't feel dread just from that foreboding opening?

8) Waterfall

dkc3-6.png

SNES version:
Cascade Capers

GBA version:
Cascade Capers

The SNES version is a somewhat calm composition with a muted sense of urgency in the background, while carrying a very nice melody. Meanwhile, the GBA version starts subdued, but then picks up a nice strong and uplifting melody. In my opinion both are great tracks

9) Running

SNES version:
Chase

GBA version:
Chase

The SNES version has a frantic and mysterious composition, but it has no structured melody. The GBA version, however, is a pretty cool remix of DKC1's first level with a new additional piano melody.

10) Xmas

SNES version:
Jangle Bells

GBA version:
Jangle Bells

This track is only available by entering a cheat code in the SNES version. I don't know if it's readily available in the GBA version though.
Anyway, the SNES version is kinda Christmas-y song, while the GBA version sounds a bit more menacing and industrial-like. In my opinion, neither track is good, but they aren't bad either.
Winner: It's a bad tie.​

11) The River

dkc3-12.png

SNES version:
Enchanted Riverbank

GBA version:
Enchanted Riverbank

The SNES version has a strange combination of urgency, but at the same time it's very quiet-like. As if it's trying to pass undetected. The melody is very good.
The GBA version is pretty good too, it has a mesmerizing and calming melody. I can't say one is better than the other.

12) Metallic

dkc3-7.png

SNES version:
Nuts and Bolts

GBA version:
Nuts and Bolts

The SNES version sounds very metallic and aggressive, while the GBA version is more dynamic and industrial. I'm not a fan of either tune, but the GBA version does seem to have a nicer melody. However, I can't say I like one over the other because I really don't care about either of them.

13) The Tubes

dkc3-8.png

SNES version:
Pokey Pipes

GBA version:
Pokey Pipes

Both tracks are pretty awful. I mean, they are just fine when played in the context of the game, but as stand-alone music? Boring.

14) The Caves

dkc3-10.png

SNES version:
Cavern Caprice

GBA version:
Cavern Caprice

The GBA version has a simple, but effective melody. The track incorporates a lot of ambient sound effects similar to the how DKC1 did with the cave music levels. The SNES version keeps the ominous theme used throughout the game, but this song adds a melody that actually makes you feel hopeful in spite of everything. Both tracks are very good, but the SNES version has the edge.

15) The Rocks

dkc3-15.png

SNES version:
Rockface Rumble

GBA version:
Rockface Rumble

Now we're talking! Both are great songs. The SNES version starts with a windy motif, and drums and flutes its way to a nice ending reminiscent of a long lost DKC2 track. The GBA version is very country and almost danceable with its heavy use of the harmonica and violin. I couldn't really pick one over the other.

16) The Jungle

dkc3-13.png

SNES version:
Jungle Jitters

GBA version:
Jungle Jitters

The GBA version is an amazing Jungle Japes remix from DKC1. I love this track. Unfortunately it starts with almost a minute of jungle noises. Why, David, why?
The SNES version, well, it feels like they took all the leftovers and cut parts of other compositions and made a song out of it.

17) The Bosses

dkc3-9.png

SNES version:
Regular Bosses
Last Boss

GBA version:
Boss Theme 1
Boss Theme 2

I'm not particularly fond of either of the GBA boss themes. They both sound too passive for my tastes and the melody is not enticing. The regular boss theme for the SNES is better, it has a sense of urgency, but the melody is not that interesting either.
But the last boss theme? Wow. It starts with a menacing angry electric guitar scream, as if a huge monster is getting tortured. The melody of the song is pretty great too.

I will not compare the Bears theme, or any of the Kong family's theme, or any other theme because neither are particularly interesting in either game. And frankly, I have been constructing this thread for 4 hours now and I'm tired.

Conclusion:
From what I can gather, it seems that the soundtrack for the SNES DKC3 was more carefully planned, and the music fit the stages and areas very well. While the GBA version feels like DWise composed a bunch of GREAT disconnected songs which were then shoehorned into the stages, judging by how many tracks don't feel like they belong in certain stages. While the SNES version has the edge when it comes to better music tracks, the GBA version isn't too far behind.

GnawtyDog

Banned
That was easy OP.

In all seriousness, nice comparison thread. Reminds me that I need to finish my 100% DKC II run (for the gazillion time).

I definitely prefer the GBA version on Stilt Village. SNES has the much better over world theme. If only we could mix and match the soundtrack.

tkscz

Umm... I know it's just an opinion but OP, are you tone deaf? The mills level sounds far better in the SNES version. The GBA version is just noise.

1) Intro/Title Screen/Menu - SNES
2) Map - SNES
3) Stilt Village - GBA (though I really don't like the 10 seconds of water noise at the beginning)
4) Mill - SNES
5) Trees - SNES
6) Snow - SNES
7) Water - SNES
8) Waterfall - Good tie
9) River - GBA
10) Factory - SNES (REALLY disagree with your bad tie verdict; I think they're both really good)
11) Tubes - Bad tie
12) Caves - SNES
13) Rocks - SNES
14) Jungle - Bad tie (SNES just isn't very good, and GBA loses points for having NEARLY A FULL MINUTE of jungle noise before the melody kicks in)
15) Bosses - SNES

Obviously I very much prefer the SNES soundtrack. Honestly, the GBA soundtrack was a bit disappointing. I bought the GBA version of the game almost entirely because of the new Dave Wise soundtrack, and it just didn't deliver.

I think the SNES soundtrack gets too much flack for not being as good as DKC2. Because I mean, come on, what is as good as DKC2? SNES DKC3 soundtrack is still terrific.

Altazor

Great OP! I'm not gonna let this die 'cause DKC3's soundtrack is very underrated compared to its predecessors - it deserves a bit of an appreciation thread.

I'm with you regarding MILL FEVER. I quite like the GBA version (especially the section that starts after 1 minute - very David Wise).

The SNES Water World is one of my favorite songs in the entire trilogy, to be honest. Yes, Aquatic Ambiance is THE iconic song and everybody loves it (so do I), but it fits a certain type of water atmosphere... and DKC3's water levels don't have it. No, they're oppresive, dangerous and tense - the coral abundance gives them a very different vibe from DKC1. And the music... it makes you feel in that dark abyss, away from the relaxing blue waves of yore. Eveline Novakovic (yeah, she composed most of the OST) did a spectacular job with this song.

Gotta say though, I'd LOVE to hear some GBA songs redone with a SNES soundfont. Some talented remixers should get on it, the GBA's soundquality only hurt these compositions... they deserve better. Stilt Village, for example, sounds a bit "tinny" - with a better soundfont it should sound bigger, fuller and even more impressive.

Camjo-Z

Never knew the GBA version had such an awesome Aquatic Ambience remix. That said... I gotta give it to the SNES version. Most of the songs aren't awesome on their own like DKC2's soundtrack, but they played in-game they all fit perfectly.

ReyVGM

Umm... I know it's just an opinion but OP, are you tone deaf? The mills level sounds far better in the SNES version. The GBA version is just noise.

I would understand if you prefer the SNES version, but the GBA version is definitely not "just noise". Maybe you're the tone deaf one? :p

Stilit on SNES ruined the whole game for me... It just sounded so dumb.

That's really the most fitting word I can muster for that track: dumb.

Yes, Aquatic Ambiance is THE iconic song and everybody loves it (so do I), but it fits a certain type of water atmosphere... and DKC3's water levels don't have it. No, they're oppresive, dangerous and tense - the coral abundance gives them a very different vibe from DKC1. And the music... it makes you feel in that dark abyss, away from the relaxing blue waves of yore.

Completely agree. But at least the alternative is not as horrible as Treetop Tumble.

Altazor

Completely agree. But at least the alternative is not as horrible as Treetop Tumble.

man, the GBA Treetop Tumble... I'm a Dave Wise fanboy, but he dropped the ball on that one.

Oh well, I guess that for every Stickerbush Symphony or Aquatic Ambiance there's a GBA Treetop Tumble or GBA Frosty Frolics :p

That's a wonderfully thorough opening post there.
Taking them as a whole the SNES soundtrack fits better across the board giving it the edge while the GBA comes close with what I'd consider higher highs than even the SNES's best.
Atmosphere gets thrown about a lot regarding the DKC games and in the case of DKC3's SNES OST in particular the music is very scene setting, usually eschewing catchy melodies in favour of creating mood, the GBA sound can't quite replicate this angle so strongly leading to a few tracks seemingly diving into bits of environmental noise at times to deliver a similar effect, sometimes juxtaposed against the track in play (the unusual Frosty Frolics being the main offender).

Going back through the SNES music its strange that Stilt Village is so jauntily generic, it's almost at odds with the rest of the soundtrack and while not bad it doesn't give a good first impression, meanwhile the GBA one has arguably the best opening stage music of the series, shame you have to wait through 20 or so seconds of environmental noise to reach it.
Then it switches around and mostly stays that way the GBA is often leading in the land of jaunt with that upbeat tropical map theme, the jolly treetop climb serving quite the opposite approach to the SNES' slower and more foreboding take.

Another odd point for the GBA is making enchanted riverbanks' theme only hearable in the water which you are either rushing through in riverside race or getting swiftly killed in when it comes to Lightning Lookout and Bobbing Barrel Brawl, that always stuck out to me as one big "why" moment.
Worth noting Wise did the GBA soundtrack rushed in like 5 weeks if I recall so it's pretty impressive in that sense.

In both versions Cascade Capers takes my favourite choice of track but to rank both games with fave fives...

SNES
1. Cascade Capers
Nice use of cascading water effects to back up the music, not the catchiest tune but that little recurring flourish heard at the start leaves an impact.
2. Crazy Calypso
This one has slowly snuck up in like the last year or so as catchy file select music goodness.
3. Enchanted Riverbank
A rather pleasant and quiet theme that fits the riverbank's atmosphere, might have to perk your ears up to really notice it mind you.
4. Water World
Far removed from the wonder like vibes of Aquatic Ambiance, this theme is dark and oddly sinister much like the ocean depths should be.
5. Rockface Rumble/Jungle Jitter
Had to force a tie there when I realised how much of the music I really liked.
As an aside the Bonus Room Blitz remix after the barrage of chimp noises on the title screen is neato.

GBA
1. Cascade Capers
If there's any justice in this world Wise will pick this one back up for a remix unhindered by GBA limitations, I demand my powerful piano and choral elements at their best!
2. Stilt Village
The spanish guitar handily whomps its goofy horn counterpart, perhaps the secret best opening track in DKC because I've had far too much DK Island Swing to consider that anymore.
3. Water World
I'll say it, actually I'll whisper it, this is my favourite version of Aquatic Ambiance.
4. Treetop Tumble
Controversy abounds, ill suiting it may be for ripsaw rage I find this one pretty infectious and fun to listen to.
5. Mill Fever
The worst stages with one of the worst SNES themes slightly redeemed, I was close to giving this slot to Cavern Caprice but the efforts to redeem this lacking stage archetype stuck out to me as a plus for the Fever.

edit: Saying all that smack about SNES Mill and then I listened to it again, okay it's not that bad (oddly it maybe sounds worse and more flavourless in game), it's actually like Jungle Jitter except I imagine myself watching some sort of Rube Goldberg mechanism taking place with this one, a bit goofy while also jazzy, it's odd.

Frosty Frolics GBA is like an unfortunate beta run of what would truly be realised with various Autumn Heights Polka in Tropical Freeze.
Actually that last section of the theme would probably sound pretty nice cleaned up, perhaps its more a casualty of the GBA sound more than anything else.

And yeah, the voice effects are yodelling.

Altazor

5. Mill Fever
The worst stages with one of the worst SNES themes slightly redeemed, I was close to giving this slot to Cavern Caprice but the efforts to redeem this lacking stage archetype stuck out to me as a plus for the Fever.

edit: Saying all that smack about SNES Mill and then I listened to it again, okay it's not that bad (oddly it maybe sounds worse and more flavourless in game), it's actually like Jungle Jitter except I imagine myself watching some sort of Rube Goldberg mechanism taking place with this one, a bit goofy while also jazzy, it's odd.

SNES Mill Fever is like a slightly unremarkable retread of Treetop Rock from the first DKC. In any case, a mashup of both themes sounds good to me, actually making Mill Fever better than by itself.

Never really noted the similarities until now, funny how blending the tracks together helps eliminate some of the drabber elements of both themes, always got slightly dull vibes off both Treetop Rock and Mill Fever.

Altazor

Never really noted the similarities until now, funny how blending the tracks together helps eliminate some of the drabber elements of both themes, always got slightly dull vibes off both Treetop Rock and Mill Fever.

aww man, I've always liked Treetop Rock... though maybe that's because I liked the Treetop Town archetype (even if it kinda rips off Return of the Jedi and the Ewoks) and thought the music was a perfect complement.

hyBFerx.jpg

I wanted to explore beyond!

ReyVGM

wut

are you unfamiliar with yodeling, op?

I am not familiar with it, no. The only yodeling I've heard is on TV and it has never sounded like the one on this game. It's usually more high-pitched, and they actually yodel saying "yodelidoo" or something like that.
The one on DKC3 sounded more like chanting, and the sound effects reminded me of the Chief Thunder music from Killer Instinct. So I just put three and three together and assumed it was some native american sound effect.

*fake edit*
Just looked at the definition for yodeling and I guess that those DKC3 sound effects do fall into yodel category.
I always assumed yodeling was a music style, like a capella, or Beatboxing.

SNES Mill Fever is like a slightly unremarkable retread of Treetop Rock from the first DKC. In any case, a mashup of both themes sounds good to me, actually making Mill Fever better than by itself.

Ha, that actually sounds pretty cool.

That's a wonderfully thorough opening post there.
Taking them as a whole the SNES soundtrack fits better across the board giving it the edge while the GBA comes close with what I'd consider higher highs than even the SNES's best.
Atmosphere gets thrown about a lot regarding the DKC games and in the case of DKC3's SNES OST in particular the music is very scene setting, usually eschewing catchy melodies in favour of creating mood, the GBA sound can't quite replicate this angle so strongly leading to a few tracks seemingly diving into bits of environmental noise at times to deliver a similar effect, sometimes juxtaposed against the track in play (the unusual Frosty Frolics being the main offender).

Agreed.

Altazor

One of the things about DKC3 and how it's perceived has to be the less adventurous feeling compared to DKC2.

I mean, in DKC2 you go to: a pirate ship (from the mast to the brig), a giant beehive, a volcano (with a pirate ship inside!), giant brambles, an amusement park, a haunted library and a dark castle, amongst other places. In DKC3 on the other hand, you visit: a lakeside stilt village, some mills, the riverside, a forest, the snow (with some cabins here and there), caves, a factory, pipes/sewers, cliffs.

The environments themselves feel a bit more naturalistic or "grounded", a far cry from the fantastical giant beehives or impossible floating brambles. Plus, it harkens back to DKC1, a game with very similar level archetypes - so, in a sense, it almost felt like retreading, like "I've done this before". DKC3's music seems to follow the same pattern - a bit closer to DKC1's atmospheres (like Voices of the Temple, Northern Hemispheres and Cave Dweller Concert) and moods than DKC2's grand adventure. Less vibrant, less anthemic, but not less worthy. It's finer qualities are in the details, I believe, and how it enhances and completes the visuals.

ReyVGM

One of the things about DKC3 and how it's perceived has to be the less adventurous feeling compared to DKC2.

I mean, in DKC2 you go to: a pirate ship (from the mast to the brig), a giant beehive, a volcano (with a pirate ship inside!), giant brambles, an amusement park, a haunted library and a dark castle, amongst other places. In DKC3 on the other hand, you visit: a lakeside stilt village, some mills, the riverside, a forest, the snow (with some cabins here and there), caves, a factory, pipes/sewers, cliffs.

The environments themselves feel a bit more naturalistic or "grounded", a far cry from the fantastical giant beehives or impossible floating brambles. Plus, it harkens back to DKC1, a game with very similar level archetypes - so, in a sense, it almost felt like retreading, like "I've done this before". DKC3's music seems to follow the same pattern - a bit closer to DKC1's atmospheres (like Voices of the Temple, Northern Hemispheres and Cave Dweller Concert) and moods than DKC2's grand adventure. Less vibrant, less anthemic, but not less worthy. It's finer qualities are in the details, I believe, and how it enhances and completes the visuals.

Yeah, I also felt that there wasn't a lot of background variety in DKC3. Mostly levels felt same-y.

Altazor

Yeah, I also felt that there wasn't a lot of background variety in DKC3. Mostly levels felt same-y.

curiously enough, they weren't - despite the obviousness of that statement, I'm actually referring to the fact that every fucking stage had a different gimmick, so the whole thing was more about "variations on a theme".

And regarding the backgrounds themselves: good thing about them were the different layers. I quite liked that. Lots of details, lots of layers.

ItIsOkBro

I wonder if I'm even able to come to a fair conclusion.

I do prefer the SNES soundtrack. Nuts and Bolts is my favourite, and it destroys the GBA version.

BUT, I mean, the SNES one is the one I heard first and many times after that.

I wonder if I'm even able to come to a fair conclusion.

I do prefer the SNES soundtrack. Nuts and Bolts is my favourite, and it destroys the GBA version.

BUT, I mean, the SNES one is the one I heard first and many times after that.

Wow, this is basically what I was going to post. SNES Nuts and Bolts is sooo good

Amazing OP, TC. I agree with most of your choices.

I wish someone would release a patch for the Snes rom so we could mix and match the songs we want from both soundtracks.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
Had no clue the GBA version was different in any way. Interesting.

The new music sounds ok, but i wish it was fully realized on better sound hardware. I always thought the GBA's was a little rough.

Christopher

Well you also gotta remember two thins about this soundtrack:

1.) The SNES had better sound quality...I would have liked to see the GBA tracks with SNES tier sound...the GBA's shitty speakers really turn you off to the soundtrack in general. So while I actually do like SOME tunes I would have prefered the SNES sound chip.

2.) Donkey Kong Country 3 has a different "feel" to it than Donkey Kong Country 1 & 2 with less emphasis on silly and character and more on realistic and grungy...it just was a different feel for the title. I think the soundtrack matches the new feel as well...David Wise is Donkey God, but for DKC3 I didn't think his kind of music was fitting.

Winner: SNES - due to the look and feel of the games. I also wish DKC3 had more character as well.

MrBadger

The GBA version's Stilt Village is actually one of my favourite David Wise tracks. Plus I'm impressed that those piano sounds in Water World were even possible with the GBA's shitty audio. I actually played the GBA version first and when I played the SNES and heard its version of Stilt Village, it was just so odd. I do find a lot of the SNES tracks to be lacklustre as well. The boss theme is really weak.

So yeah, I think the GBA version's music is pretty damn underrated. Would seriously appreciate a Sonic CD style re-release of DKC3 where you get to pick which soundtrack plays. Also, really good writeup, OP. Even though I disagree a lot.

ReyVGM

1.) The SNES had better sound quality...I would have liked to see the GBA tracks with SNES tier sound...the GBA's shitty speakers really turn you off to the soundtrack in general. So while I actually do like SOME tunes I would have prefered the SNES sound chip.

Like I said on my opening post, that's why I'm not comparing the quality, but the composition and melody.

2.) Donkey Kong Country 3 has a different "feel" to it than Donkey Kong Country 1 & 2 with less emphasis on silly and character and more on realistic and grungy...it just was a different feel for the title. I think the soundtrack matches the new feel as well...David Wise is Donkey God, but for DKC3 I didn't think his kind of music was fitting.

It's true, DKC3 does feel like way. Unfortunately, the awful Kiddy Kong and the dumb-looking bears completely damage that "feel".

tesla246

Very fun comparison OP, will read further later, but all I can say for now is that I fucking love the quirkiness of Kiddy kong as a character and the soundtrack that goes with his style. Mill Fever is god tier in my book.

For a long time now I've wished someone would do a romhack of the SNES version that adds the GBA soundtrack. I don't think anyone cares about DKC3 enough to go through the effort though.

K' Dash

Amazing OP, it is really unfair to compare the limited sound of the GBA to the amazing SNES, but the GBA defended itself with a couple of nice tunes.

ReyVGM

You mislabled the videos for the Chase track, fyi.

Fixed, thanks!

For a long time now I've wished someone would do a romhack of the SNES version that adds the GBA soundtrack. I don't think anyone cares about DKC3 enough to go through the effort though.

Too much work. You can't just port the music, someone would have to re-compose all of the songs using the SNES soundchip style, and then find a way to replace the game's own music with the new composition.

Sectus

The music is one of the reasons I felt disappointed by DKC3 overall. I vastly prefer almost all the GBA tunes. It's just too bad the soundchip on GBA is really bad.

Too much work. You can't just port the music, someone would have to re-compose all of the songs using the SNES soundchip style, and then find a way to replace the game's own music with the new composition.

Oh I'm aware. Someone would have to tear apart the DKC3 sound engine, maybe have to create their own composing program for it, whatever, etc. People have definitely gone through the effort for other games, it just requires the right person with the right combination of passion and know-how. But yeah, like I said, no one is that passionate about DKC3.

javadoze

Neat soundtrack analysis.

After listening to both extensively, I don't think one is even better than another. The SNES one is simply more atmospheric and the GBA one is well... David Wise.

Though I have a feeling if I were actually playing the games through, then I would prefer the more engaging GBA soundtrack, since, while the SNES one isn't bad when listened to on its own, the music doesn't seem quite fit for a platformer.

1) Intro/Title Screen/Menu - SNES
2) Map - SNES
3) Stilt Village - SNES
4) Mill - SNES
5) Trees - SNES
6) Snow - GBA
7) Water - SNES
8) Waterfall - GBA
9) River - GBA
10) Factory - SNES
11) Tubes - Bad tie
12) Caves - SNES
13) Rocks - Good tie
14) Jungle - SNES
15) Bosses - SNES

Overall, the SNES soundtrack is far better. I really like some of David Wise's new compositions, but they either don't fit the levels at all, or they're ruined by the GBA's poor sound chip. You also forgot to mention the bonus time themes, both of which are fantastic.

SNES: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwZo98SIGw4
GBA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pnb5EfUCatk

Wicked Sushi

Neo Member
Having played DKC3 about four times consecutively a few months ago and then replaying it again on the GBA to see the differences, the SNES game has a much more fitting and atmospheric soundtrack.

Every song, except Frosty Frolics, is better on the SNES. I'm partial to that frosty theme because of how strange and unique it is. You got a happy sounding Oktoberfest-esque instrumentation and then out of nowhere yodelling and some heavy wind sounds and creepy atonal chimes. Haven't heard anything like it in a videogame before. Can't say it goes well with the pace of the level though.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Both tracks are pretty awful. I mean, they are just fine when played in the context of the game, but as stand-alone music? Boring.
DKC3's soundtrack is ambient for a reason. Judging the soundtrack outside of the context of the game doesn't take everything into context.

I will never understand why anyone shines a spotlight on the crummy GBA tracks. It's impossible to ignore the audio quality, and it obviously comes as an extreme hindrance when the tracks have to be radically altered to begin with. Wise's work just doesn't fit the game at all.

ReyVGM

I will never understand why anyone shines a spotlight on the crummy GBA tracks. It's impossible to ignore the audio quality, and it obviously comes as an extreme hindrance when the tracks have to be radically altered to begin with. Wise's work just doesn't fit the game at all.

Like I said on my opening post, that's why I'm not comparing the quality, but the composition and melody.

Top Bottom