• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how's Smash with the GamePad?

Clawww

I couldn't tolerate it. I felt playing on my 2DS was better. Got the adaptor now though so I'm all set.

TheMoon

Isn't that a question perfectly suited for the OT?

Why not just buy a Pro Controller. Lots of benefits with that route.

Stopdoor

All the controllers are totally fine, except maybe wiimote without a nunchuk. Gamepad is just a pro controller with a screen in the middle.

zruben

Banned
I'm cheap and don't want to have to shell out for the GCN adapter.

it's pretty good, but it works better if you set the grab to the bumpers and the shield to the trigger...

or alternatively, left trigger = grab, and right trigger = shield.
in summary: bumpers kinda suck, triggers are cool.

also, Pro controller is also a good option to play, comfy as fuck and it will work on other games too.

It gets the job done, but yeah, Gamecube controller or Pro Controller are the way to go. For the record, I normally like using the GamePad and think it's a fine controller for most games.

Feels fine to me. Off-TV play is great.

Granted, I haven't tried with any of the other controllers yet, but I'd say the GamePad is just as usable here as in any other buttons-and-sticks-centric game.

King Boo

plays just fine with the gamepad. you don't need to shell out...unless you are use to playing with those controllers

It feels like there's some lag when pressing the jump buttons. Maybe I'm just not use to it all yet. Gonna try out some different controller options later and see if it's the controller or the game.

blamite

I only played a few games last night but it worked totally fine. Only downside is the sticks don't have that octagon shaped notch thing like the GameCube controller or nunchuck.

This the type of questions that i find puzzling.

Do people freak out when they need to use their Laptops or Tablets? Why is it so much of an herculean task to pick up the controller with the screen in the middle?

i guest part of it is the apathy to adapt to anything and the other is a psychological barrier of some sort. Maybe since the gamer is used to the more compact controllers since several generations going to anything that is bigger seems impossible to some of them, even when they use devices of similar weight and equal or bigger sizes withouth any problems.

The Gamepad is confortable enough, the AES, DC and Xbox Duke controller were far more worse in terms of ergonomics. And we lived to tell the tale XD

SuperJay

The wii u gamepad is not ideal. It probably just takes some getting used to. Remapping buttons helps (I find the L and R buttons are difficult to get to, so I remapped the buttons so I don't need them.) Overall, it feels clunky.

Obviously, gamecube controller is the best way to go, although I've heard good things about the pro controller.

WonderPup

The default control scheme feels really...off. I reassigned the controls, but this game needs to be played with the GameCube adaptor. For me, anyway.

Ask me again in a week :(

I find the GamePad very comfortable for every other game, I'm confident I won't need a different controller.

Shizzlee

I haven't used the gamepad, but I've been using the pro controller which is close enough I guess. If you are used to the GC controller like I was then it takes some time to adjust. It will feel weird early on, but it's not bad once you get used to it. Took me an hour or two. I recommend not going with the default, and doing this.

Set B for attack
Set Y for special
Set X and A for jump if you use a face button to jump (I used X on the GC controller, so I use A on the pro controller to jump).
Set L and R to grab
Set ZL and ZR to shield

The only thing that feels weird to me now is the C stick being above the buttons and no octagonal gate.

Timeaisis

Fine for me, but I'll use the Pro exclusively for the battery life. It really depends on the size of your hands if you find the GamePad comfortable for games like these.

For a newbie who has never played smash nor is very accustomed to playing video games on a regular controller (she prefers motion control games), which of the controllers is easier? I'd imagine the Gamecube controller since the main action button is big and its lack of button uniformity makes it easier to find the unique keys.

Muzy72

Banned
GCN controller > Pro controller > 3DS > GamePad. I don't know why, but I just do not like the GamePad for Smash.

Jinjo

Probably asked to death, but if you have the adapter can you play other Wii U games with the GC controller? Bayonetta for instance?

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
It's fine. Every control option is great except sideways wiimote and maybe wii classic controller (snes shape). It was pretty mind blowing though going from 2DS w/ trigger grip to GCN/pro controller/gamepad. Tried it again while transferring custom moves and I was like "How did I even play on this?!" It's still a useable controller though, as long as you put in the time to learn how to use it.

Do people freak out when they need to use their Laptops or Tablets? Why is it so much of an herculean task to pick up the controller with the screen in the middle?

i guest part of it is the apathy to adapt to anything and the other is a psychological barrier of some sort. Maybe since the gamer is used to the more compact controllers since several generations going to anything that is bigger seems impossible to some of them, even when they use devices of similar weight and equal or bigger sizes withouth any problems.

The Gamepad is confortable enough, the AES, DC and Xbox Duke controller were far more worse in terms of ergonomics. And we lived to tell the tale XD

Uh, you replied to your interpretation of the title instead of the actual topic...

impact

Banned
It's kinda terrible and I love the gamepad. Getting a Gamecube adapter as soon as I can afford it. The gamepad is just so awkward for Smash. Another game where pro controller being the main controller would make the console better. Dunno why this damn gamepad is still forced -_-

Onaco

Just need to flip the Z buttons to be shield and the L and R buttons for quick grab for any Wii U controller for it to work. Hate having to choose my name every time though.

CompC

Probably asked to death, but if you have the adapter can you play other Wii U games with the GC controller? Bayonetta for instance?

The adapter only works with Smash Bros.

You can get a third party adapter that will work with any game that works with a Classic Controller, including Bayonetta

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BS520SG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It's pretty terrible for Bayonetta though since the controls are mapped to the same letter buttons as on the GamePad and Pro Controller. A and X are still punch/kick, which is weird on the GameCube controller. Also you're missing a shoulder button.

Individual games could get support patched in latter.

It's not recognized by the Wii U as a controller (no Home button, etc.), it's simply a random USB device that Smash knows how to use.

zruben

Banned
It's kinda terrible and I love the gamepad. Getting a Gamecube adapter as soon as I can afford it. The gamepad is just so awkward for Smash. Another game where pro controller being the main controller would make the console better. Dunno why this damn gamepad is still forced -_-

uh? other than "tap here for amiibo awesomeness", the gamepad isn't forced at all

Just need to flip the Z buttons to be shield and the L and R buttons for quick grab for any Wii U controller for it to work. Hate having to choose my name every time though.

hahaha, I hate that too, specially because the "clickable area" is incredibly narrow.

superbank

hahaha, I hate that too, specially because the "clickable area" is incredibly narrow.

Just push the cursor to the very bottom, that's an active area too. Makes it a lot easier. But yeah it's terrible having to choose name(control scheme), and color every single time. Sakurai made such strides in 3DS smash, why is it back to the inferior way? Each player slot should function like the 3DS profile and remember everything. If you switch profiles the slot will stay on that player until changed. Guess I'll draw complaints in Miiverse and maybe they'll take notice, lol. SSBU is phenomenal though despite the little annoyances.

Uh, you replied to your interpretation of the title instead of the actual topic...
i don't know... What would be an issue in the first place?

The reality is that we get the "how's the Gamepad for (insert game here)?" questions since the Wii U launch. To do so when the controller has every traditional input any other controller has and in the context of a very simple game to play (although deep) makes it more weird.

ANd there you go... that's the rationale behind the mini lecture of mine. Not as off topic as you might think XD

impact

Banned
uh? other than "tap here for amiibo awesomeness", the gamepad isn't forced at all

I'm talking about with the console as a whole. No reason it should be forced, hardly anything requires it and most games are better played on a different controller. One of the worst business decisions of all time for Nintendo.

superbank

i don't know... What would be an issue in the first place?

The reality is that we get the "how's the Gamepad for (insert game here)?" questions since the Wii U launch. To do so when the controller has every traditional input any other controller has and in the context of a very simple game to play (although deep) makes it more weird.

ANd there you go... that's the rationale behind the mini lecture of mine. Not as off topic as you might think XD

Based on what was said in the OP he was wondering how the gamepad is in comparison to the GCN controller. Sounds like he's willing to use the gamepad if people have good things to say. So the first thing that comes to mind for me is the button layout, a lot of people consider the GCN controller to be the only way to play smash because of the button placement, octagonal gates, c-stick etc. Weight and size could also be the issue, but I think button placement factored in as well.

zruben

Banned
I'm talking about with the console as a whole. No reason it should be forced, hardly anything requires it and most games are better played on a different controller. One of the worst business decisions of all time for Nintendo.

aside from very specific games (ZombiU, Nintendoland and Game and Wario), the only thing that forces the gamepad is changing the console settings. And let's be honest here; do we really change the console settings THAT often for it to be a problem?

and Netflix, but that's not really Nintendo's fault.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Controlling the game on the GamePad seems passable, but definitely not optimal. However, it really bothers me the GamePad does a lazy ghosting of the main screen image (like NSMBU, a launch game). It doesn't make sense for your TV and GamePad to double the same image simultaneously. It's distracting, and lazy.

Mario Kart 8 is a great example of what you can do as far as having options of what you want to display on screen.

Nintenyearold

Neo Member
I haven't used the gamepad, but I've been using the pro controller which is close enough I guess. If you are used to the GC controller like I was then it takes some time to adjust. It will feel weird early on, but it's not bad once you get used to it. Took me an hour or two. I recommend not going with the default, and doing this.

Set B for attack
Set Y for special
Set X and A for jump if you use a face button to jump (I used X on the GC controller, so I use A on the pro controller to jump).
Set L and R to grab
Set ZL and ZR to shield

The only thing that feels weird to me now is the C stick being above the buttons and no octagonal gate.
I tried these same settings for a bit, it does help if you're used to the gc pad.

I still caved and bought the adaptor today though. Anyone with hundreds of hours of muscle memory from the previous smash games will be happier for it (IMO)

DJ88

Whaat?

How is using a laptop or tablet analogous to controlling a fighting game in any way, shape, or form?

Dranakin

It was a pain in the ass to abort a match after pausing. L + R + A + Start? What kind of hands do you think I have?

Top Bottom