• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The character design for The Order: 1886 is so good.

SystemBug

show us then.

here you go bro

15665063218_42b5605c4b_c.jpg

it's not a white male so it's already better

GnawtyDog

Banned
Because it's boring when everyone is the same, and there's nothing historically accurate about fucking werewolves.

You're telling me if they don't insert an african american, latino, indian, or asian in the squad the game becomes boring? Ok.

I am not sure if people are simply using sarcasm....or being serious.

Robot Pants

This game is gonna be a visual master piece. It reminds me of what Gears of War did last generation; kinda brought the whole idea of what can actually be done and will only go up for there.

igMiopF1RwEhZ.gif

emalord

Let me tell you straight up. Gallahad is not in his 30's he's in his mid to late 40's.

He has the look of a late 40/mid 50 but do not forget average lifetime that period was... 60? Maybe?
So he is probably in his late 30's/ early 40

Concerning minorities: they were low-class workers in that historical moment and had zero to few access to any culture
I'd rather find difficult to play a well-taught fluent-speaking element even if still possible to justify somehow

DevilFox

First page is off to a great start I see.

It's a NeoGAF thread about The Order. It's only going down one way.

Yep, I think the game looks like dogshit from what has been shown so far, but it's getting pretty annoying to see every Last of Us/The Order/David Cage thread turning into shit posting about them being movies/having no gameplay.

Eh, I was going to write the same , so annoying -_- The web has already decided the fate of this game.
Anyway, I like them. RaD did a great job designing the entire lore actually, not only the characters. Pretty much like AC Unity, where I can feel the France in the late 18th century, I can feel this Neo-Victorian London in every screen of The Order. I just love these research for details.
The characters look like how I would imagine an ancient Order of knights, with their elegant clothes and ancient names that refer in some way to the legend of the Knights of the Round Table.
It's easy to see that Perceval is the most experienced while Lafayette should be the *think out of the box* guy, if you know what I mean. The opposite of Galahad that looks like Mr. Cool-whateverhappens. I can't wait to know them better, their characters and their stories.
Can't say anything about the girl though.

n0uhad

Neo Member
the game plays quite smoothly and the transitions from cutsene to gameplay look good. it's got the cinematic black bars going on. i too agree the character's are amazing in-game
8sSyA6D.jpg

SystemBug

This game is gonna be a visual master piece. It reminds me of what Gears of War did last generation; kinda brought the whole idea of what can actually be done and will only go up for there.

igMiopF1RwEhZ.gif

But gears didn't just bring visuals to the table. Everybody just seems to forget that.

Gestault

Huh ? TLOU isn't even a zombie game. There are exactly zero zombies in it.

Without any intention of getting further off-topic, the infected enemies in Last of US are functionally and thematically identical to zombies. Even down to the outbreak
starting from lab-tested monkeys

Sweet Ivy

Awesome design: realistic, no-nonsense, believable and extremely detail, and with an amazing style.
Even if it's just a corridor shooter, it will be worth to be immersed in such an amazing world!

Jito

Banned
here you go bro

Damn xb1 still has no screen cap? I couldn't tell you his skin color from that screen hah.

Lol at all the "it looks like AC", couldn't possibly be they're both set around the same time period?

emalord

Without any intention of getting further off-topic, the infected enemies in Last of US are functionally and thematically identical to zombies. Even down to the outbreak
starting from lab-tested monkeys

Clever use of words but as a romerian-zombie lover, they have nothing in common
Infected in TLoU are more like dinos in Dino Crisis than zombies in ResidentEvil

But yeah I'm kind of trolling

If it's historically accurate, then I see no problem.

This made me laugh.

Game looks visually great of course, but the main character designs aren't that mindblowing, just nice.

And now people are playing the minority card...

What's wrong with people wanting more diversity in characters? It's well within the appropriate sort of criticism for the topic of the thread. It's three moustachioed white guys and a white lady. As I quoted above, being historically accurate is a poor excuse (and irrelevant) since you have bizarre alt. reality tech and werewolves.

I agree OP the characters look awesome and the entire visual style of the game is amazing. I have the collectors edition with the Galahad statue preordered

SystemBug

Damn xb1 still has no screen cap? I couldn't tell you his skin color from that screen hah.

Lol at all the "it looks like AC", couldn't possibly be they're both set around the same time period?

Yeah I wish it did, Or I at least hope they add in a photomode at some point in the game. Also didn't help that I added some filters to the pictures

Gestault

Sounds pretty dope honestly

what's the biggest thing people are excited for?

If it's a well-built narrative as the backbone for solid shooting mechanics and DEM PRODUCTION VALUES, I'm totally in. I think the negativity comes partly from people who don't enjoy (or are at least tired of) the genre. I don't see the value in that sort of subjective, categorical criticism.

While the complaints about the game not having any diversity in terms of representation can be pretty easily defended on account of it being a period piece, the fact that it stars 4 brunettes all in similar dress is one that's harder to to defend, in my opinion. You can argue "realism" but this is a game about fighting werewolves, so~ I'm not sure why they couldn't have more variety in how they look, whether it's giving them more individuality in terms of how they dress or something simple as giving the oldest one gray hair. I mean, I imagine fighting werewolves is stressful, so that's as good an excuse. as any

I guess what I'm saying is it gets an A for overall art direction but these characters themselves don't do anything special for me.

SgtCobra

*Enters*
Yep, this is an Order 1886 thread.
Why does this game always attract people from the future?

The designs aren't really special though, but it fits the theme and atmosphere of the game.

MavFan619

Banned
here you go bro

Isn't that just the base design from the demos but with Elvis hair? I made a girl with short hair and purple highlights she puts these Order designs to shame.
she does not and the Order designs are great love the detail on the clothes

I hope Galahad and Isabel actually have some chemistry. RAD talking about those two like if they weren't hunting werewolves they'd be on a tropical island somewhere together (seriously).

Hey RAD. I expect Nate/Elena levels of chemistry there, aight? Don't make claims you can't back up, especially when it comes to narrative and characters.

Concept is interesting, but bloodborne looks so much better in terms of its world design (let alont the monster designs which are great too) that my interest dropped to near 0.

Hopefully final game comes together, so far previews werent attractive looking and gameplay seemed medicore with weapons not really that different from real world ones in execution.

DevilFox

While the complaints about the game not having any diversity in terms of representation can be pretty easily defended on account of it being a period piece, the fact that it stars 4 brunettes all in similar dress is one that's harder to to defend, in my opinion. You can argue "realism" but this is a game about fighting werewolves, so~ I'm not sure why they couldn't have more variety in how they look, whether it's giving them more individuality in terms of how they dress or something simple as giving the oldest one gray hair. I mean, I imagine fighting werewolves is stressful, so that's as good an excuse. as any

I guess what I'm saying is it gets an A for overall art direction but these characters themselves don't do anything special for me.

Why members of the same order should dress differently? Are we really discussing on that? :|
Also, to be finicky, if you notice better there are differences sometimes. Maybe it depends on their rank because Lafayette, that seems the youngest, has a very simpler uniform in some screens.

vesvci

Banned
here you go bro

what's so special about your SO character? nothing ecstatic out of it. it's all preference, but thanks for sharing it on a The Order thread.

also, this just revealed to me that the XBO has no screen capture ability. first the Year One poster and now this. kind of a disappointing XBO Saturday morning for me.

Mr Moose

is this supposed to be an alternative history zombie game

i'm not into zombie games period and that is the main reason i didn't get tlou. not even tlour.

Weird, with your avatar and all...

There's no Zombies in The Last of Us, and this game is about Werewolves and stuff.

jmood88

So now people are mad at this game because one of the main characters isn't a minority? Jesus people
I'm not upset, I'm bored of seeing white males as the stars in games over and over and over again.

He has the look of a late 40/mid 50 but do not forget average lifetime that period was... 60? Maybe?
So he is probably in his late 30's/ early 40

Concerning minorities: they were low-class workers in that historical moment and had zero to few access to any culture
I'd rather find difficult to play a well-taught fluent-speaking element even if still possible to justify somehow

What social class were the fictional monsters that populate the game?

Top Bottom