• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds" is a year old today

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Enjoyed it, but unlike others, I felt LttP to be superior. I don't have a reason why - nostalgia, maybe. A couple things fell short for me in LbW, mostly based on my personal expectations and having nothing to do with Nintendo:

-Lorule... really? And it's similar to the dark world, but not the dark world. Suspense of disbelief hard to uphold.

-Could have visited the Sacred Realm instead, for the FIRST TIME EVAH (Nope)

-Yuga was a weird villain, not at all imposing like Ganon, wholly evil like Demise, scary like early TP Zant, or... well, basically any other Zelda villain's good villain points outdid Yuga.

-No purple hair

Stuff I really did like:

-Same world, different game. Amazing how they injected a level of newness into an old overworld by adding new mechanics, slight changes to level design, and new graphics. It did feel a bit "same-y", but much less than I expected.

-
Ravio
plot twist was expertly done, and a nice touch

-Overall in-game plot was more interesting than LttP, even if the backstory and villain were lackluster.

-Collecting stuff is fun, especially cute snail things

-Rental system was new and innovative, breathed freshness into a stagnant formula

Overall, I'd say it's one of the best 3DS games, and a very good Zelda game. Not in my top 5, but still very good. I would definitely like to see Nintendo try to shake up the formula more in the future, although I'm not sure the rental system was the best way to do it. I hardly ever died playing on normal, making it kind of pointless. Non-linearity (to an extent) was a very welcome change, though.

I tried it for a bit, but I couldn't really get into it.

Not really any fault of the games, I've just never liked the 2D Zeldas as much as the 3D ones (other than Skyward Sword). I just don't find the combat as fun, the world as enjoyable to explore, and in this game's case I found its graphics to be really mediocre (but the framerate was nice at least).

Even though the 2D games aren't my cup of tea, I was still able to appreciate the more open ended nature of the game compared to other Zeldas. Weapon renting was odd, but interesting as well, and I do hope they keep trying new things like that in the series.

gerudoman

I liked it but that's all. Probably the most impersonal entry in the series, devoid of the characteristic magic and charm of most of Zelda games. Is the only Zelda game that didn't leave any (positive or negative) impression on me.

cantona222

bland, way too easy (hero mode does nothing to fix this), and ugly. not worth full price.
I disagree. What do you mean too easy? are you talking about combat, rentals, and rechargeable meters? these were a given since its difficulty and enjoyments comes from the puzzles. I think you played the game hoping of a brawler type of game.

cantona222

I played and beat ALttP & ALbW back to back. It was my first time playing both games. It was one my best months gaming wise. Loved both, and loved the improvements in ALbW (rechargeable meters, weapon rentals).

Second favorite 2D Zelda and fifth favorite Zelda overall for me. The pacing between advancing the story and collecting side stuff is unmatched thanks to the snappy gameplay. The dungeons were great but a little easy due to the rental mechanic, but I can forgive that.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
A Link Between Worlds is a great game and I hope this means Nintendo will be doing more top-down Zelda games in the future. A Link to the Past and Link's Awakening are still tied as my all-time favorites in the series though.

Princess Hilda is my Legend of Zelda universe waifu though and Li Kovacs' cosplay of her = <3

tumblr_n3iu1lfO6u1qf510co1_1280.jpg

It's a solid hand held game with solid mechanics (Everything is snappy/responsive and almost all of the mechanics have pretty good game feel; everything that happens on screen works like I expect it to.) that many other portable games would like to be like, but imo it's among one of the weakest Zelda experiences (As far as I'm concerned, those would be Phantom Hourglass/Majora's Mask/Wind Waker/Zelda 1/Zelda 2)

Every dungeon in the game is pretty much the typical/bland "starter dungeon" (Inside the Great Deku Tree, Woodfall Temple, Dragon Roost Cavern, etc.); they never get any more complex from a level design (puzzles, and non-puzzle obstacles) perspective, they never make use of multiple items, the pacing is always the same no matter which one you tackle (which probably contributes to it's easiness) , and almost every enemy encounter (including all of the boss battles) is generic and archaic-feeling.

I can't stand the whole open world/free-roaming structure; it's quite easy to see that it limited what the devs could do in terms of dungeon/puzzle/obstacle complexity, and the existence of Ravio's dumb little shop is probably an even stronger indicator of this problem. I hate that this game might have influence on Zelda U, and I'm really hoping that the tea table is upended at some point in that game's development.

It also has some of the blandest art direction the series has ever known. The color palette is bleh, the character design is ugly, the animation is boring, the dungeons all look the same, and the narrative elements are completely forgettable. The game has absolutely no mood/atmosphere. It feels like something Nintendo would make if they became a 3rd party and put something up on the App store or PSN. The game is completely devoid of character/charm.

Again, solid game with solid mechanics but I'll probably never touch it again.

Top Bottom