• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A few chapters in and Bayonetta 2 is already my GOTY

dmr87

Man, PlatinumGames. The game is everything Bayonetta was but refined and tweaked, like the torture attacks are a bit faster to mash through, still looks as good as ever. Better menus and hud, Muspelheim portals that are found across the levels which lets you earn a bonus item if you can clear the challenge. Groundwork is the same, like the item crafting and the upgrades/shop, and performance is great so far. Went through Bayonetta on Wii U just before playing this and everything translates over perfectly, changed the control scheme and off I went.

Same awesome voice cast and likeable characters, game's really funny already. If you liked Bayonetta and you don't have a Wii U then you are really missing out.

Only have Far Cry 4 and Dragon Age: Inquisition left and while they might be good I don't see myself enjoying them as much as this, this game is execution ecstasy and pure enjoyment. For once we have a game that actually works and isn't a buggy mess which've been the name of the game these past weeks. You can tell that the people involved in this project really poured their hearts into it.

Thanks Nintendo and PG for making this possible, incredible game. Looking forward to getting back into it after work tomorrow.

GAF, play it, love it. Support PG and Nintendo.

htib.jpg

I just finished the first and I will be beginning to play the second shortly (as in, in the coming few years).

Also, while playing through the first one I realised why Nintendo of all publishers decided to fund it. Even though it's a "mat00r" game, it is a typical Nintendo game at the core (very comparable to Kid Icarus). The level of love and polish are unmatched, as well as the very refined gameplay mechanics.

Amir0x

Banned
yup it's my current GOTY.

I think there is actually a more than 50% chance that it will be the pinnacle of the action game genre for the rest of this industry, because it's just that damn excellent. It is the rare title that takes every lesson learned over the past 30 years of slow growth in the genres/games it takes influence from, and then puts it through the refinery for so long that the polished sheen it promotes when it comes out is enough to a blind a person with its brilliance.

Enemies are massively improved from Bayonetta 2; bosses are some of the best in the genre; scenarios are some of the most tense and amazing and over-the-top in the history of the industry. The sheer depth of combat options at your disposal is so dizzyingly astonishing that you can't help but sit back and wonder how so many other developers are so comparably clueless. It's that game that makes you look at other games and go "huh, I don't remember why I used to like that game anymore."

Bayonetta 2 by itself is almost worth the $200 entry fee for a refurbished Wii U, that's how great it is.

Chapter 4 was a real showstopper, lol.

Incredible game. I've beat it on all 4 difficulties. Now I gotta go for the Pure Plats.

GOTY Total.

I felt the same way around the same point too. I thought I was jaded towards games or something, nope, just hadn't played a good one in a while.

Nearly had a mental breakdown after chapter 4 lol

Turned off the system and walked away.

dmr87

Bayonetta 2 by itself is almost worth the $200 entry fee for a refurbished Wii U, that's how great it is.

I regret now that I didn't go for the first print edition from the start.

The sheer depth of combat options at your disposal is so dizzyingly astonishing that you can't help but sit back and wonder how so many other developers are so comparably clueless.

As my hands dance over the controller and I manage do to some good shit I just shake my head and smile, blown away by the spectacle.

NEO0MJ

Yeah, game is a masterpiece. And I'm with the people who say that Chapter 4 was amazing.

How much am I missing out on story wise if I haven't played the first?

It's heavily connected, but the Story isn't needed to enjoy the game. It comes with the original anyway (though only with the first print which seems to have become rarer in Europe) and you can just wiki/youtube the plot if you don't feel like playing it.

I felt the same way around the same point too. I thought I was jaded towards games or something, nope, just hadn't played a good one in a while.

Nearly had a mental breakdown after chapter 4 lol

Turned off the system and walked away.

image.php

random25

One of my GOTYs for sure. The feel of action in this game is just way, way above the rest. Infinite Climax Action indeed.

I really enjoyed Bayonetta 2. It became my GOTY a few chapters in. It's a really amazing game. I love the craziness and refined gameplay in this one. Tag Climax is amazingly fun too!

I average out Gold medals/trophies, so I like to think I'm doing something right! I haven't played Infinite Climax yet, since I just finished 3rd Climax and I'm playing thru Smash Bros and Omega Ruby. :p

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Currently replaying Bayo on PS3, wishing I had a WiiU...

So glad that it's meeting/exceeding peoples' expectations. Maybe sometime next year I'll join club Nintendo once more :)

Golnei

You won't really miss all that much, but there's no reason to skip the first. Aside from the fact that nearly all releases of 2 are bundled with it as well; Bayonetta 1 is still one of the best games in the genre, and going through it first will do nothing but increase your appreciation of the sequel's refinements.

And seeing as the two extant games are all that will ever exist in the series, you might as well play them both.

jholmes

I finally put away Bayonetta today and I want to get into Bayonetta 2 -- I loved the demo -- but I feel like I should give it some time to cleanse the palate a bit. I'm not sure how long I want to wait, though.

dmr87

You'll get some story recap but I'd say it's more about the characters, you will be more invested if you've played the first game. It's also incredibly good so just get the dual pack and play both.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I finally put away Bayonetta today and I want to get into Bayonetta 2 -- I loved the demo -- but I feel like I should give it some time to cleanse the palate a bit. I'm not sure how long I want to wait, though.

I'd say give yourself a week, play something else in the meantime. Bayo 2 is amazing, and definitely better than the first in a lot of ways, but you don't wanna burn out too much. It's not a crazy-long game or anything though.

Neiteio

It's my GOTY, as well, edging out Tropical Freeze for the title. In a way, it comes down to each game being the best of their genre (TF tied with DKC2 for Best 2D Platformer), and I find character action more exhilarating, so Bayo 2 gets the win. I inhaled Bayo 2, completing the game in two sittings, then beating it again on a higher difficulty level in one sitting, and then playing through it all again. I virtually never do that these days. Bayo 2 is THAT good.

NateDrake

Definitely a 2014 GotY contender. Several friends who didn't like Bayonetta (wtf, right?!) bought Bayonetta 2 after playing the demo & they have loved every moment of the game. They are even starting to replay it to buy the accessories and everything. An absolute amazing game.

I had to make a list of 5 GotY nominees last week & Bayonetta 2 was my #1 vote. Deserves to be recognized for the gem that it is.

Yeah, game is a masterpiece. And I'm with the people who say that Chapter 4 was amazing.

It's heavily connected, but the Story isn't needed to enjoy the game. It comes with the original anyway (though only with the first print which seems to have become rarer in Europe) and you can just wiki/youtube the plot if you don't feel like playing it.

image.php

Is the first game available digitally? How much does it cost?

Easily the best game I've played all year, my thoughts from the last thread:

All the all time great action games usually have some niggling problem that stands out and makes them a step away from being perfect. Bayonetta 1 has it's minigames out of nowhere that drag on too long. Ninja Gaiden Black has it's camera. Wonderful 101 has it's minigames and genre deviations. Devil May Cry 4 has it's repeated content.

Bayonetta 2 has no issue. It is perfect. There is nothing that stands out. Every boss fight is amazing. The levels are tight and designed to get you to what you are playing it for, the combat. It is a game people will play for years because it is so laser focused on what it wants to be that there is no equal in something that appeals to the character action game player. It has a great co-op mode that is Bloody Palace but with a friend. They put everything they could into making this the action game that it has enough enemy variety to fit three other games on it's own. It's simply incredible.

Xemnas89

Finished my first playthrough earlier today and it's definitely my game of the year. DMC3 was always my favorite game from the genre but this game easily beats it. So much depth to the combat and excellent pacing put this at the top of the heap. I honestly don't know how another game in the genre will top Bayo 2.

Oh I completely forgot to mention the incredible boss battles. I think they're probably the best that you're going to find in an action game.

jholmes

Is the first game available digitally? How much does it cost?

You can buy it will Bayo 2 for $60. Not sure if it comes alone, though.

You can buy either of them alone if you like. Bayonetta 2 digital is something like $55, and Bayonetta gets marked down to $5 if you get Bayonetta 2 first. I want to say just Bayonetta is something like $30, and then Bayonetta 2 gets marked down to $30 if you got Bayonetta first.

NEO0MJ

Is this game like DMC/ninja gaiden? I could never really get into those.

It's closer to DMC. Even if you usually don't like them you really should give this a chance. What didn't you like about DMC/NG?

Finished my first playthrough earlier today and it's definitely my game of the year. DMC3 was always my favorite game from the genre but this game easily beats it. So much depth to the combat and excellent pacing put this at the top of the heap. I honestly don't know how another game in the genre will top Bayo 2.

Never say never. Though it does seem unlikely for some years just because most devs who could outdo them won't have a chance to do so because most pubs are unwilling to fund stylish action games now.

epmode

Oh?

I thought the first one was a decent rental at best but this is interesting. It's that much better?

It's better but I simply can't see how someone who didn't really like the first one could fall in love with the second. Unless they *really* hated the instakill QTEs in the first game, maybe.

Pranay

Was lucky enough to borrow my friend's wii u for this game.

Really loved it. It was my goty before Dragon Age : I

Synless

The game was amazing in all aspects that I can think of. I sat down in beat it in two sittings, easily one of the best, most intense games I have ever had the pleasure of playing.

Xemnas89

Never say never. Though it does seem unlikely for some years just because most devs who could outdo them won't have a chance to do so because most pubs are unwilling to fund stylish action games now.

Yeah true anything can happen. I once though DMC3 was the pinnacle but even before now there were other games that arguably beat it. Still if Bayo 2 does get bested I don't see anyone but platinum themselves doing it.

SRTtoZ

I own it but haven't played it yet. I gotta finish GTA5 and DA:I first but I know im gonna love the fuck out of it when I play it.
physically, dat ass etc

Permanently A

I think there is actually a more than 50% chance that it will be the pinnacle of the action game genre for the rest of this industry, because it's just that damn excellent. It is the rare title that takes every lesson learned over the past 30 years of slow growth in the genres/games it takes influence from, and then puts it through the refinery for so long that the polished sheen it promotes when it comes out is enough to a blind a person with its brilliance.

Enemies are massively improved from Bayonetta 2; bosses are some of the best in the genre; scenarios are some of the most tense and amazing and over-the-top in the history of the industry. The sheer depth of combat options at your disposal is so dizzyingly astonishing that you can't help but sit back and wonder how so many other developers are so comparably clueless. It's that game that makes you look at other games and go "huh, I don't remember why I used to like that game anymore."

...you're really making it hard for me to not own a Wii U right now.

The Lamp

The game is the best action game of the past 10 years and one of the best games ever in the past few years and arguably the best GOTY.

This 10000x.

Nintendo has practically spoiled all Wii U owners this year with some of the best games in their respective genres, and Bayonetta 2 is one of those.

I'm having a hard time picking time to play between Smash and Bayonetta 2.

Loved it but it can't surpass Tropical Freeze. And right now Shovel Knight is kicking my ass, I don't know if I will end up loving it more than Bayo 2.

Felensis

Banned
Full ack, OP!

I've started with Bayo 1 on Wii U as well. I've only played the demo on 360 back in the days. The game already is awesome and I had a lot of fun with it, but since starting with Bayo 2 this game blew my mind. It is just perfect in each and every sense. A true gem!
I'm currently also just a few chapters in and can't wait to continue playing :)

Top Bottom