• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAL Charts - Week 47, 2014

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The Xbox 360 version sold 64,000 (90%) units in its first month of sales, that's roughly about 100,000 - 110,000 (90%) units for all versions. I don't have a precise estimate for its first week sales.

We just know DAII dropped 68% in its second week, while nothing is said about its third week (3DS launch week). For that week, we have just 360 version in top 40, between Nintendogs + Cats: Golden Retrivier and Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars for DS.

If DA did less than 83k across platforms then it was a bad release decision by EA and a bad marketing decision by EA to go with MS.

Game could have seen better potential by being delayed some more weeks, say early December to give it some room and MS had way too many titles to exclusively market already that, I'm not even sure DA:I was marketed in a big way at all.

Dragon Age will have legs, everyone is going to somewhat suppressed launching next to huge franchises like GTA and Far Cry.

It seems that MS' co-marketing deals have the overall effect of increasing games' exposure on both platforms, which actually helps Sony more.

It's a purely anecdotal and personal observation and probably reaching, but when I was watching a few unboxings of the DA Inquisitor's edition on Youtube, most of them were done by women. Maybe DA doing that much better on PS4 is indicative of more females buying the PS4 over the Xbox One. That could also explain Fifa and CoD doing relatively better on Xbox if you assume those games are slightly more attractive to a male demographic.

FIFA and CoD are only doing better on X1 because of how heavily both are bundled with the console.

Seems almost every bundle available features at least one of those games.

There's been no marketing or no hype for DA:I outside of the hardcore fans of the series really, so I predicted it wouldn't sell great a couple months ago. Releasing when it did around so many other titles didn't help.

There's been no marketing or no hype for DA:I outside of the hardcore fans of the series really, so I predicted it wouldn't sell great a couple months ago. Releasing when it did around so many other titles didn't help.

I saw a couple of ads, not sure if they were solo DA ads or part of the MS promo ad where they showcase all Autumn/Winter games, but it did have a small advertising presence.

Mpl90

Dragon Age will have legs, everyone is going to somewhat suppressed launching next to huge franchises like GTA and Far Cry.

It seems that MS' co-marketing deals have the overall effect of increasing games' exposure on both platforms, which actually helps Sony more.

Dragon Age II didn't have legs at all, I'd dare to say

First week

All Formats - 1st
Individual - 360 1st; PS3 6th; PC 8th

Second week (-68%)

All Formats - 2nd
Individual - 360 7th; PS3 11th; PC out of top 40th

Third week

All Formats - 13th
Individual - 360 21st; PS3 out of top 40th; PC out of top 40

Fourth week

All Formats - 22nd
Individual - No presence at all in top 40

Maybe Inquisition will be different, though.

Kikujiro

I don't think EA is disappointed by the marketing partneship, I mean as long as they get paid is indifferent if they partner with MS or Sony. Said that it may hurt the DLCs sales since they are coming first to XBOne.

NHale

Fdkn

Impressive next gen adoption. I'm shocked quite frankly. Last gen consoles only 17-18% of sales of a big AAA game during the Fall?

People still on lastgen consoles is mostly people that dont run to buy things day one and most of them don't pay full prices also.

Kill3r7

Impressive next gen adoption. I'm shocked quite frankly. Last gen consoles only 17-18% of sales of a big AAA game during the Fall?

The sales figures suggest that a large portion of gamers who are day 1/ month 1 purchasers have upgraded to current gen. That said, last gen sales tend to have better legs than current gen at least in the US following 1st month of sales (ie less of a drop off).

People still on lastgen consoles is mostly people that dont run to buy things day one and most of them don't pay full prices also.

EDIT: Beaten.

Not that it would have beat GTA or anything, but also if I'm not mistaken DAI released 3 days after GTA and FC in the UK. That would have a fairly big impact as well.

PES out the charts already. wouldn't have cared if they'd served up another stinker, but this year's game is great. must be a boy who cried wolf scenario :(

fifa 15 actually improving in sales with all the ire towards it this year is the ultimate pisstake.

Surprised at the GIANT dragon age gap.

Would think Xbox fans long history with Bioware would come into play a little here but it totally bombed on XB1

I am sure it has reasons. Bioware did a decent job position the game on PS4 after the AC Parity stuff, PS4 audience is hungry for a decent meaty game and I bet a lot of XB1 people baught Halo MCC instead but still that is a big gap.

Edit. AND EA access I guess probably played a part now that I think of it.

Fdkn

DAI splits are similar to other games, the difference in ranking is just because many games sold just in between both versions.

Plainsong

Not that it would have beat GTA or anything, but also if I'm not mistaken DAI released 3 days after GTA and FC in the UK. That would have a fairly big impact as well.

Good point. And if you were in the market for a game or two that week it would be hard to resist two such big releases on the Tuesday. Personally I went for Far Cry 4, DA:I will have to wait. I'd never buy two new games in one week let alone three!

dolemite

I am assuming that MSFT decided to go with the DA:I deal because all the other titles were already taken by Sony. Plus they already have good chemistry with EA.

PES out the charts already. wouldn't have cared if they'd served up another stinker, but this year's game is great. must be a boy who cried wolf scenario :(

fifa 15 actually improving in sales with all the ire towards it this year is the ultimate pisstake.

I think not having a proper editor and not having option files has basically killed any momentum PES could have built up with such a good quality release. Konami need to either work on getting more licences (including the EPL) or they need to allow option files and put the full editor back in. PES buyers are very hardcore players and almost every single one I know used option files on PS3 to recreate different leagues, fix the names and fix the kits, not being able to do that on the PS4 has not gone down well, even though the core game is actually decent for the first time in about 7 years.

Shin-Ra

05 (NE) PS4 DRAGON AGE: INQUISITION (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
06 (02) PS4 ASSASSIN'S CREED: UNITY (UBISOFT)
07 (05) XBO CALL OF DUTY: ADVANCED WARFARE (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
08 (03) XBO ASSASSIN'S CREED: UNITY (UBISOFT)
09 (04) PS4 CALL OF DUTY: ADVANCED WARFARE (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
10 (06) 360 CALL OF DUTY: ADVANCED WARFARE (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD)
11 (10) XBO FIFA 15 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
12 (08) 360 FIFA 15 (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
13 (NE) PS4 WWE 2K15 (TAKE 2)
14 (NE) XBO DRAGON AGE: INQUISITION (ELECTRONIC ARTS)
ingq2nKJq0DHB.gif

Kill3r7

They couldn't have picked a worse time to release Dragon Age.

Agreed but EA probably wanted to have it on store shelves before BF and figured that there is no other WRPG to compete with them this holiday season. So, the RPG market is theirs for the taking. I'm sure they'll see a nice boost in sales between now and Xmas.

I think not having a proper editor and not having option files has basically killed any momentum PES could have built up with such a good quality release. Konami need to either work on getting more licences (including the EPL) or they need to allow option files and put the full editor back in. PES buyers are very hardcore players and almost every single one I know used option files on PS3 to recreate different leagues, fix the names and fix the kits, not being able to do that on the PS4 has not gone down well, even though the core game is actually decent for the first time in about 7 years.

I'm not sure it was a question of konami allowing or not allowing option files, they're not able to because of the make up of the current gen consoles. You can get them on 360, PS3 and PC so I'm pretty sure the lack of OFs on PS4 and XBONE isn't something that comes from their end. they're not that dumb.

I don't think EA is disappointed by the marketing partneship, I mean as long as they get paid is indifferent if they partner with MS or Sony. Said that it may hurt the DLCs sales since they are coming first to XBOne.
They're trading long term popularity of the franchise for upfront gain, not sure if this is a good strategy pissing off PS4 players.

Kill3r7

They're trading long term popularity of the franchise for upfront gain, not sure if this is a good strategy pissing off PS4 players.

Apparently not enough as PS4 sold well regardless of marketing deal. These marketing deals are all about the money. Whoever pays the most gets the deal.

system11

Excellent software week for PS4 as expected, pretty sure it will be reflected in hardware sales as well with PS4 coming back on top in weekly sales in UK.
The only surprise is Dragon Age Inquisition...a Bioware game, co-marketed on Xbox selling so much more on PS4.

This bit didn't surprise me at all. Owner demographics, look how XB1 COD is outselling PS4 COD despite a lower number of consoles out there.

Rad-

Surprised at the GIANT dragon age gap.

Would think Xbox fans long history with Bioware would come into play a little here but it totally bombed on XB1

I am sure it has reasons. Bioware did a decent job position the game on PS4 after the AC Parity stuff, PS4 audience is hungry for a decent meaty game and I bet a lot of XB1 people baught Halo MCC instead but still that is a big gap.

Edit. AND EA access I guess probably played a part now that I think of it.

Just another example of how a lot of old Xbox owners jumped to PS4 I think.

Timed exclusive stuff aside (I only own a PS4 btw) I hope this convinces SquareEnix/ Crystal Dynamics to kill the last gen version of Rise of the Tomb Raider and really go hell for leather on current gen.

Dragon Age II didn't have legs at all, I'd dare to say

First week

All Formats - 1st
Individual - 360 1st; PS3 6th; PC 8th

Second week (-68%)

All Formats - 2nd
Individual - 360 7th; PS3 11th; PC out of top 40th

Third week

All Formats - 13th
Individual - 360 21st; PS3 out of top 40th; PC out of top 40

Fourth week

All Formats - 22nd
Individual - No presence at all in top 40

Maybe Inquisition will be different, though.

It's one of the only AAA RPGs on the new consoles right now, and DA2 was widely considered to be dogshit. There's literally nothing out (except Lords of the Fallen) until The Witcher 3.

I think DAI has a good chance of succeeding based on word of mouth, too. Of course, I know you guys will be intimately aware of performance come next month.

I think DAI has a good chance of succeeding based on word of mouth, too. Of course, I know you guys will be intimately aware of performance come next month.

Yep, that's my hope. I'd love to see more people posting Amazon reviews and stuff like that. I feel like I am mostly seeing really positive word of mouth and buzz for sure.

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare is already behind Call of Duty: Ghosts, the sales gap between them will only get bigger.

Code:
[Week 03] CALL OF DUTY: ADVANCED WARFARE (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) - 107,474 / 1,081,634 (-41%)
[Week 03] CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) - 156,240 / 1,117,240 (-16%)

[Week 04] CALL OF DUTY: ADVANCED WARFARE (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) -
[Week 04] CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS (ACTIVISION BLIZZARD) - 207,799 / 1,325,039 (+33%)

Looks like Ghosts really did kill off what interest casual fans had left in the series.

Kill3r7

Looks like Ghosts really did kill off what interest casual fans had left in the series.

I'm sure that is one conclusion you can come to when looking at the numbers. However, one must take into consideration all the major releases over the last two weeks especially GTA V, Far Cry 4... heck even Halo MCC. One can't be all that surprised with its sales numbers.

Vol5

Pro Evo has sank into nothingness. What a travesty. Such a great footy game. I've tried to sell the game to my friends but they are having none of it. It's going to take a gargantuan effort on konami's part to get this back fighting with FIFA next year.

Maybe put someone more recognizable on the front cover like Ronaldo?

Mpl90

I wouldn't say that Ghosts killed casual fan's interest, since we're talking about a game that sold one million in UK in three weeks :p

Still, the decline is real and it'll become bigger and bigger in the next few weeks.

Pro Evo has sank into nothingness. What a travesty. Such a great footy game. I've tried to sell the game to my friends but they are having none of it. It's going to take a gargantuan effort on konami's part to get this back fighting with FIFA next year.

Maybe put someone more recognizable on the front cover like Ronaldo?

They need to get the EPL licence and do deals with the major football associations around the world for national teams and sidestep FIFA. Option files are the reason they are down to real core PlayStation players and now without them even those players are dropping like flies.

Konami also released a half-finished concept game. The core football simulator is actually very good, but in terms of content like stadiums, balls, team kits and of course licences they haven't put enough into the game to warrant £40.

Top Bottom