• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your Next Favorite: Folklore (Video)

KyleCross

I was sucked into this game via its artstyle, presentation, and music instantly from a demo I downloaded back in the day. I promptly hunted it down and found it at a Hollywood Video (their gamestore side, forgot what they called it).

... then the games level design sucked me out. Wow is it bad, I literally kept getting lost.

I definitely plan to revisit it someday and get further than Chapter 2.

Also all this talk about the music and no one mentioned the greatest track in the entire game, To the Unknown World? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vg-870E4ck

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
The Binary Domain and Evil Within footage is a clever trick to get me to buy Folklore. Just kidding I own those two games and would definitely give Folklore a shot if it came to PC, I remember seeing it on a friend's PS3.

Sadly the IP is owned by Sony Computer Entertainment. we'll never see it on PC (Sony don't even want to put Psygnosis old PC games on PC)

It's really amazing game, unique experience/gameplay and fantastic story, see if your friend is willing to lend you his PS3 for a week or so and play it.

Gazoinks

I looove this game, makes me sad it doesn't get enough appreciation. It wasn't perfect, but it had a wonderful atmosphere, neat supernatural mystery story, and very cool gameplay.

I was sucked into this game via its artstyle, presentation, and music instantly from a demo I downloaded back in the day. I promptly hunted it down and found it at a Hollywood Video (their gamestore side, forgot what they called it).

... then the games level design sucked me out. Wow is it bad, I literally kept getting lost.

I definitely plan to revisit it someday and get further than Chapter 2.

Also all this talk about the music and no one mentioned the greatest track in the entire game, To the Unknown World? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vg-870E4ck

If it helps, Chapter 2 is by far my least favorite chapter in the game. It gets better after that.

Also yes, that track is fantastic.

Zafir

I've been meaning to give it more time for ages. I didn't have a PS3 when it first came out so by the time I got one, other games were out and I just never really found time to go back.

It did seem pretty interesting from what I played though.

Aexact

It was hauntingly atmospheric and many of the quest had that eerie fairy tale vibe underneath. The variety of unique folk to use and the various achievements that unlocked improvements encourages you to try different combinations and keeps things interesting, though in addition to preferring one character's playstyle over the other, I preferred a specific set of folk to perform their element-exclusive job. So maybe there's five folk that can do Slash damage but the first one you catch in the Fairy Realm was the one I liked the most, repeat for Fire, Ice, Lightning, Wind, ailments.

I don't think of the game as a mystery so much as a mysterious setting. You aren't given enough information to figure out the murder on your own and the plot twists aren't so much foreshadowed as they are table flippers that upend what you knew before. Not that that's a bad thing, just quibbling on classification. I don't know anything about Irish mythology but it felt true to form in the same way Atlus demonology would.

For what it's worth, I played the game the recommended way, alternating chapters between Ellen and Keats. I... don't know if that's exactly better since you're playing through the same areas back to back. It's worthwhile in that you get to see what the other character is up to in their segments in parallel but in terms of gameplay, the enemy types and battlegrounds, while not exactly the same between characters, is still rather close. Though having to replay those areas after being blocked at the final chapter meaning you have to stall the story for the finale might also be frustrating. Just that I kinda felt burnt out playing each character's chapter the "proper" way too.

Pimpwerx

I own this, but never got around to beating it. I too was drawn in by the art style, but it wasn't a very compelling game overall. PEACE.

Striek

I own this, but never got around to beating it. I too was drawn in by the art style, but it wasn't a very compelling game overall. PEACE.

Same. I think I only gave it like an hours play though and disliked the pokemon/sixaxis gameplay.

My brother borrowed it and LOVED it though.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
It was hauntingly atmospheric and many of the quest had that eerie fairy tale vibe underneath. The variety of unique folk to use and the various achievements that unlocked improvements encourages you to try different combinations and keeps things interesting, though in addition to preferring one character's playstyle over the other, I preferred a specific set of folk to perform their element-exclusive job. So maybe there's five folk that can do Slash damage but the first one you catch in the Fairy Realm was the one I liked the most, repeat for Fire, Ice, Lightning, Wind, ailments.

I don't think of the game as a mystery so much as a mysterious setting. You aren't given enough information to figure out the murder on your own and the plot twists aren't so much foreshadowed as they are table flippers that upend what you knew before. Not that that's a bad thing, just quibbling on classification. I don't know anything about Irish mythology but it felt true to form in the same way Atlus demonology would..

actually if you pay attention early on with both clue given you as ellen and what Keats collect then the game give you enough information for the main murder (and to even figure on other things) but never throw too much info yet so if you connect stuff you'll know.. even the ending twist. it's really a part murder mystery/detective game and part fantasy action rpg.

I've been meaning to give it more time for ages. I didn't have a PS3 when it first came out so by the time I got one, other games were out and I just never really found time to go back.

It did seem pretty interesting from what I played though.

go for it. you can start an lttp/rttp thread if you need help.

My favourite go to game when asked to name underrated games.

A real gem and actually good sixaxis controls.

yes, best sixaxis use to date. it actually feel very natural and don't really hold the gameplay back.

KyleCross

It is. such a shame that Sony rejected a the PSmove sequel (Game Republic could've make wonders with it) :(

I don't know. The truth of the matter is Game Republic put out more stinkers than gems. I wish they were still around tho just to see. I hate it when any developer closes.

I've wanted to play this game for a while now. I didn't have a PS3 until a few years after it released though, and then it was pretty much impossible to find here in Sweden. But about half a year ago I actually ran into an important NTSC copy so I now own it. Unfortunately, I have had very little time to play these last months, so I haven't gotten around to playing it yet, but it's next in line after I finish up Crown of the Ivory King and Dragon's Dogma.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I don't know. The truth of the matter is Game Republic put out more stinkers than gems. I wish they were still around tho just to see. I hate it when any developer closes.

I'd say they were more hit than miss for me

Legendary tier : Folklore
Awesome tier : Brave Story, Genji 1, Dark Mist
Good tier: Majin, DB Origins
Shit tier: Clash of the Titans, Knights Contract, Genji 2.

Their years with Namco didn't help I guess Okamoto wanted to keep them afloat but it wasn't wise move, Folklore was their only project with like 3 years or so in development and it shows by how good it was but then Namco milked them with multiple low budgets projects each year. that poor studio needed a better publisher.

Can't blame gamers when the console was expensive and not really worth it at the time.

Warhawk was released around the same time, was online only, and still sold enough for Sony to justify funding a sequel. Gamers have a habit about saying they want something, then when a publisher/developers makes it, they don't really buy it. A good recent example of that is Vib Ribbon. Shawn Layden was asked how it was doing and he said this

“Downloads have been pretty good,” Layden says. “Although I think everyone who screamed at me on the internet should make good on their scream and go buy it now.”

That's after VR was one of the biggest stories from Sony's E3 and after lots of sites and gamers screamed for it to be released.

sublimit

Banned
I definitely plan to get this game (and Majin) at some point.I remember i was very exited for it before it was released but the reviews kinda made me skip it (this was from a time that i still cared for reviews.)

Loved the game and adored the beautiful story so much... one of my absolute favorites new IPs from the 7th generation consoles.

I want Folklore 2 for the PS4.

Anung

Un Rama
I have never heard of this game before. It does look really interesting though. I'm getting some real Chaos Legion and El Shaddai vibes from it. I'll try and grab a copy if I can find one around. Also love a good niche game.

Soundtrack by Kenji Kawai? Damn son! Sold.

Great video btw.

Warhawk was released around the same time, was online only, and still sold enough for Sony to justify funding a sequel. Gamers have a habit about saying they want something, then when a publisher/developers makes it, they don't really buy it. A good recent example of that is Vib Ribbon. Shawn Layden was asked how it was doing and he said this

That's after VR was one of the biggest stories from Sony's E3 and after lots of sites and gamers screamed for it to be released.

I agree with you when you say gamers don't always follow through with supporting something they asked for, but I don't think it fits with Folklore. I mean, sure Warhawks got a spiritual successor that didn't even share the same name 5 years later, but that doesn't mean a sequel to Folklore would have happened if the people who wanted to play it didn't look the other way. I'd say Warhawks probably appealed to more people who actually had PS3s. If the PS3 was a more worthwhile product at the time, I'm sure more people would have been around to support it. Regardless, people will buy what they want to buy. There is nothing to blame.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Loved the game and adored the beautiful story so much... one of my absolute favorites new IPs from the 7th generation consoles.

I want Folklore 2 for the PS4.

I think the only chance for a sequel if Shu Yoshida leave SCEWW somehow and that because the sequel for it got rejected by Sony after he was the president..so kinda by him. we saw Nintendo and Microsoft revive project that did bad sales wise (and even Sony during Phil Harrison days but it don't seems to be Shu style).

shmoglish

Still on my (re)playlist together with games like Majin.

Had fun with Folklore. Great music and visuals and the gameplay was fine.

Carl

Definitely one of my favourite PS3 games. I remember at the time i was apprehensive to buy it on release because it really wasn't my kind of thing. But i took a punt on it and really fucking loved it. Such a great game. Interesting characters, good story, SIXAXIS controls weren't a pile of shit. Everyone should play it.

The fact that a sequel was denied by Sony makes me sad.

Looks alright, but watching the footage just reminds me that there are much better games I could be playing right now. The music sounds great and it has a pretty nice art direction, but my backlog...

I'll probably pick it up eventually.

El-Suave

That game was so great, the only thing that hurt it was that you had to play the same level again right away with the other character if you wanted the story to make the most sense. Other than that it is pretty underrated. It also probably had the best Sixaxis use in the entire PS3 library.

Looks alright, but watching the footage just reminds me that there are much better games I could be playing right now. The music sounds great and it has a pretty nice art direction, but my backlog...

I'll probably pick it up eventually.

I have a huge backlog too. I need to make a list of games and just schedule when to play them, because I just look at how many games I need to play and then just don't play any of them. Anyway, I'm sure you have some stuff in your backlog that is worth playing more than Folklore. Like I said in the video, I don't think it will blow you away, but it's an experience worth having.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I'd say they were more hit than miss for me

Legendary tier : Folklore
Awesome tier : Brave Story, Genji 1, Dark Mist
Good tier: Majin, DB Origins
Shit tier: Clash of the Titans, Knights Contract, Genji 2.

Their years with Namco didn't help I guess Okamoto wanted to keep them afloat but it wasn't wise move, Folklore was their only project with like 3 years or so in development and it shows by how good it was but then Namco milked them with multiple low budgets projects each year. that poor studio needed a better publisher.

God, I bought that game for PS3. Easily one of the worst, if not THE worst, games I bought the previous gen.

As for Folklore, sorry OP, I tried the demo and I didn't like it at all :/

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
God, I bought that game for PS3. Easily one of the worst, if not THE worst, games I bought the previous gen.

As for Folklore, sorry OP, I tried the demo and I didn't like it at all :/

The old demo that separate the in town adventure and action? yeah that was a bad demo.

Give the actual game a shot.

FireCloud

Folklore is probably in my top 5 favorite PS3 games. Loved the art style and sound track. It's a shame that games like this that came early on in the PS3's life-cycle didn't get more love. At the time, the PS3 had so much negative press that games like Folklore and Heavenly Sword were quickly dismissed.

Seems like every now and then someone stumbles upon Folklore and creates a thread like this. I'm all for it. Too bad there is probably no possibility of generating enough interest and recognition in the game that Sony would consider a sequel.

Pay close attention to the story. At times, it can be difficult to follow. Also, I recommend alternating characters each chapter instead of trying to play as far as you can with Ellen or Keats.

Edit: OP, now you've gotten me thinking about the soundtrack for the game. I know what I'll be listening to today at work. Thanks...

about 1/3 through the game, I wouldn't say the game is amazing...some neat environments and creatures/concepts....but the game has some slow/dull/repetitive parts about it.

fun game, but average at best.

it's unique and enjoyable enough for people looking for more ps3 games to try out.

nice feature - fast forward cutscenes (essentially)

Ezalc

I love this game OP, and I saw your video before even seeing this thread heh. I always try to tell my friends who have a PS3 to check this game out. The art is gorgeous, the music is incredibly atmospheric, and the gameplay is a lot of fun. There are things that could be improved, which I'm sure a sequel could easily fix if it ever had the chance of being implemented. I actually really liked the way that they differentiated how the two characters use the folks. Also there's a bit of DLC for this game too in some side missions and such. I didn't grab all of them but I thought the ones I got were pretty fun. Nothing like seeing Keats running around looking like a Kamen Rider.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Are you fucking kidding me? Ugh, as if I hated one more reason to hate trophies...

The source code most likely with SCEJ and if they wanted to add trophies back then they could've done it themselves easily (or let GR do it since the studio died in 2011 after the trophies craze) but it seems like Sony just didn't want to touch the game again.

Folklore is probably in my top 5 favorite PS3 games. Loved the art style and sound track. It's a shame that games like this that came early on in the PS3's life-cycle didn't get more love. At the time, the PS3 had so much negative press that games like Folklore and Heavenly Sword were quickly dismissed.

Seems like every now and then someone stumbles upon Folklore and creates a thread like this. I'm all for it. Too bad there is probably no possibility of generating enough interest and recognition in the game that Sony would consider a sequel.

Pay close attention to the story. At times, it can be difficult to follow. Also, I recommend alternating characters each chapter instead of trying to play as far as you can with Ellen or Keats.

Edit: OP, now you've gotten me thinking about the soundtrack for the game. I know what I'll be listening to today at work. Thanks...

PewDiePie is our only hope now (I'm not even kidding)

Also, I recommend alternating characters each chapter instead of trying to play as far as you can with Ellen or Keats.

yup. this can't be said enough. anyone who want to play this game, do this. play with both character then move the the next chapter that is how it supposed to be.

I love this game OP, and I saw your video before even seeing this thread heh. I always try to tell my friends who have a PS3 to check this game out. The art is gorgeous, the music is incredibly atmospheric, and the gameplay is a lot of fun. There are things that could be improved, which I'm sure a sequel could easily fix if it ever had the chance of being implemented. I actually really liked the way that they differentiated how the two characters use the folks. Also there's a bit of DLC for this game too in some side missions and such. I didn't grab all of them but I thought the ones I got were pretty fun. Nothing like seeing Keats running around looking like a Kamen Rider.

I was thinking of buying that Kamen Rider style outfit for the video but I decided not to, haha.

FireCloud

Oh, by the way, OP... I enjoyed your video review and subscribed to your channel.

Please say nice things about more games I like! ;-)

That game was so great, the only thing that hurt it was that you had to play the same level again right away with the other character if you wanted the story to make the most sense. Other than that it is pretty underrated. It also probably had the best Sixaxis use in the entire PS3 library.

Ever play a Team Ninja game on PS3?

sublimit

Banned
I think the only chance for a sequel if Shu Yoshida leave SCEWW somehow and that because the sequel for it got rejected by Sony after he was the president..so kinda by him. we saw Nintendo and Microsoft revive project that did bad sales wise (and even Sony during Phil Harrison days but it don't seems to be Shu style).

I'm sorry but there's no chance of this happening regardless of Yoshida's stance.Okamoto has said that he's not interested in developing console games ever again.
http://www.polygon.com/gaming/2012/...-yoshiki-okamoto-retired-console-games-mobile

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The source code most likely with SCEJ and if they wanted to add trophies back then they could've done it themselves easily (or let GR do it since the studio died in 2011 after the trophies craze) but it seems like Sony just didn't want to touch the game again.
Still no excuse to not have a game on PSN just because trophies. That shit is infuriating.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I'm sorry but there's no chance of this happening regardless of Yoshida's stance.Okamoto has said that he's not interested in developing console games ever again.
http://www.polygon.com/gaming/2012/...-yoshiki-okamoto-retired-console-games-mobile

SCE own the IP. so if they want (like after Yoshida retires) they can give it to any other Okamoto have absolutely nothing to say here really.

also Takashi Shono (Folklore director) is more important than Okamoto here.

Still no excuse to not have a game on PSN just because trophies. That shit is infuriating.

agree. this trophies mandatory thing for a game to be on PSN is nonsense. people still buy and enjoy PS1 and PS2 on without trophies on PSN. Sony should just release PS3 year 1 and 2 trophies-less games on PSN.

sublimit

Banned
SCE own the IP. so if they want (like after Yoshida retires) they can give it to any other Okamoto have absolutely nothing to say here really.

I know that they own the IP but developing it without the initial creators i thought that it would be pointless.It would be like giving Demon' Souls 2 to someone other than From Soft to develop it.

also Takashi Shono (Folklore director) is more important than Okamoto here.

Why is that?Okamoto was also Folklore's director.

Accoun

Interesting, will watch later. My cousin and his parents got a PS3 pretty early and along with Resistance and Motorstorm (which they got with the console) this was the game he was the most interested in. Don't remember if he actually bought it, lol.

I only played the demo and didn't really like it, but now I'm reading it was "just" a bad demo?

Bought this day 1 and it is still one of my favorite PS3 games and hands down my favorite implementation of sixaxis capabilities.

Top Bottom