• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony needs to release a new ps4 controller

In my lifetime of electronics i have never owned something with such a pathetic battery life. I don't even understand how the controller even uses that much energy. It is seriously ruining my enjoyment with he console. Can't even play GTA for longer than 3 hours without it dying.

Amir0x

Banned
like it's bad, but it's not 3 hours bad. something might be wrong with your controller.

it's still awful and needs to be fixed though. turn off the damn light if that's doing it Sony

I didn't realize just how bad it was until I played my PS3 yesterday for like 7 hours straight and my DS3 still had all three cells.

dralla

I thought this would be about the poor build quality. But the battery life is also terrible. A new controller would be great but I don't think it'll happen.

MizzouRah

In my lifetime of electronics i have never owned something with such a pathetic battery life. I don't even understand how the controller even uses that much energy. It is seriously ruining my enjoyment with he console. Can't even play GTA for longer than 3 hours without it dying.

Never owned a Game Gear? ;)

I bought a USB 'extension cord' so that I can sit as far away as I like to play, I pretty much leave it plugged in at all times during play. It still sucks that the battery is awful, but I don't mind the cord too much honestly.

Charge whilst playing? Own two, charge one whilst playing?

It's what I do.

Buying more of a bad product is no way to fix a problem, the battery life is shocking whatever way you look at it.

I bought a really long USB cable but it's hardly ideal and if you have pets/kids it just becomes something else to get tangled or tripped over.

Yeah that's honestly my biggest complaint with the system thus far. It wouldn't even be that big of an issue for me if they didn't pack in such a pathetically short charging cable.

It's not as awesome as the previous one, but I'm able to play much longer than 3 hours. I think you might just need a new one, since it doesn't seem to be holding a charge.

I have two DS4s and a charging dock, so battery is not an issue for me. I also use thumbstick covers so that's not an issue for me either.

My big issue with the controller is the small, fickle triggers.

Nibel

There is a lot that needs to be fixed with the controller, from the sticks to the light bar and battery life, ugh.

Are there any good 3rd party controllers already?

Leunam

It blows my mind how quickly the battery runs out, especially compared to the Wii U Pro controller. It can't just be the blue light that's doing it right?

I thought this was about the actual controller, as to me, it feels awful.

But yes the battery life is seriously bad and is only going to get worse over the years.

Poor build quality, problems with the sticks rubbing off, and the terrible battery life, I agree.

Just you never seem to see any major changes to a controller after the console's launch to my recollection at least. Hopefully this changes

Change the visual aesthetic of it too while they're at it. It mostly looks nice but the touch pad is ugly as sin and the controller doesn't visually match the hardware. The Xbox One hardware and controller look like they belong together for example, but I don't find that to be the case with the PS4 controller. It's a good controller and feels nice and a huge improvement from the PS3 one, but I think there's an air of tackiness about it. The touch pad makes it look like a prototype instead of something to actually hit the market.

Not saying they should remove the touch pad, but in its current form I really don't like the look of it. Maybe but some kind of logo in the middle of it or something.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Can't you just play it connected. USB extension cables are cheap. Buy a second controller to alternate charging while playing with the first controller. I dunno why some people can't adapt.

-Said someone when I brought up the issue.

Such a ridiculous battery life. I could do without the bright lights, sound effects and touchpad if it even gave me an hour more.

DJ_Lae

I probably get twice that, which is still bad enough I can't do a marathon session on a weekend without having to tether myself while playing (which is bullshit).

WiiU gamepad gets worse battery life but it at least has a screen and an excuse for eating so much power.

Ambitious

Apart from the terrible battery life, my DS4's vibration motor is on life support. It just wimpers, though shaking the controller gives it a power boost for a few seconds.

It's the first controller I ever had any kind of problem with.

moai

how easy is to change the battery for one with more capacity? i wanted to try it but i dont even know where to buy one. maybe put the one on my ds3 on it......

Buy a second controller = problem solved for you ;)

btw. 3 hours? No!

They could certainly do with stealthily updating it with a better battery and higher quality rubber on the thumbsticks, but when I've used it on my PS3 I've probably averaged about 9 hours between charges. Definitely need a 3 metre micro USB cable in the same room as this baby.

Selrach

Neo Member
I have the same problem with the wii u gamepad its very annoying having to change seating positions so I can charge and play hopefully when I get an extended battery that will fix my issue, I plan on getting a ps4 i really hope it isn't as bad.

CO_Andy

It was revealed a while ago a PS4 revision was in the works (including the controller with better battery supposedly).

BadHand

I have a charging dock and extra controller and alternate between the two - which I rarely have to do.

Does GTA use the external speaker much? I though someone had isolated bad battery life to games that use that speaker.

Never owned something worse?

I take it you never owned a Wii U then, I can't play for 3 or 4 hours without it depleting to zero.

nope, i get better battery life with gamepad over ps4 controller

I have a charging dock and extra controller and alternate between the two - which I rarely have to do.

Does GTA use the external speaker much? I though someone had isolated bad battery life to games that use that speaker.

yea, it uses the speaker and lights more than most games

Top Bottom