• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Crew might have the most disgusting microtransactions in a full priced title yet

Xater

So I just gave this The Crew open beta a shot. Ignoring me not enjoying this game at all (swimmy controls, looks bad on PS4, bland environment etc.) the microtransactions in this look disgusting.

The very first moment you get to spend money in this game you will notice that there are dollars you can spend on stuff and so called "Crew Credits" (short CC). A secondary currency you can get for real money. You can pay for stuff with these CC EVERYWHERE. From cars, to upgrades, to paint jobs or even perk points.

I know we had a thread about Ubisoft announcing that the game had microtransactions but seeing this in person is just absolutely disgusting. It's basically a F2P title they are selling at full price.

Does it take a lot of grinding to get the items without paying real money? That was the problem with Forza 5 - before updates it took an incredibly long time to get that $120 car without paying all that money.

Nibel

The
Cr
Ew

Ubisoft seems to be doing this with every big franchise they have. I don't really want to see how far this goes.

jpax

Sounds terrible but was expected, if you buy games with micro transactions, there will be games with micro transactions. Now they are just looking how far they can go.

vZeroG

Neo Member
After playing the beta, I felt that the game was mediocre at best. I too noticed the MTXs, which also turned me off to the game. Something with the driving just felt off to me - they did a really good job at modeling the vehicles, but a terrible one IMO with their handling physics.

Evo X

Regardless of micro transactions, the core gameplay of The Crew sucks so much that I doubt it's going to sell much anyway.

Xater

Does it take a lot of grinding to get the items without paying real money? That was the problem with Forza 5 - before updates it took an incredibly long time to get that $120 car without paying all that money.

Can't really tell you. I don't like playing the game so I just stopped. Handling is bad and the traffic in this game is hilarious. It doesn't react to anything and barely budges even if you ram into a car. It's like everyone in this world drives a tank that looks like a normal car.

How do you get the beta? Is it on the PSN Store?

Yeah it's just on the PSN store.

system11

So I just gave this The Crew open beta a shot. Ignoring me not enjoying this game at all (swimmy controls, looks bad on PS4, bland environment etc.) the microtransactions in this look disgusting.

The very first moment you get to spend money in this game you will notice that there are dollars you can spend on stuff and so called "Crew Credits" (short CC). A secondary currency you can get for real money. You can pay for stuff with these CC EVERYWHERE. From cars, to upgrades, to paint jobs or even perk points.

I know we had a thread about Ubisoft announcing that the game had microtransactions but seeing this in person is just absolutely disgusting. It's basically a F2P title they are selling at full price.

I liked the graphics and the handling can be sorted out quite a bit in the control options.

However, the microtransation model can die in a fire. Luckily I was already skipping this game because of Unity, Ubisoft don't get my money at the moment.

Regardless of micro transactions, the core gameplay of The Crew sucks so much that I doubt it's going to sell much anyway.

Pretty much. The gameplay in the beta was awful and coupled with Ubi's ever increasing desire to put microtransactions into games means I'm put off their games more and more.

jonno394

Let's all start taking bets at how bad The Division will be

These will probably be purchases for things you can unlock normally just like most micro transactions but they're still a bit naughty.

Ubisoft went from a publisher I actually liked a good bit 2 years ago to a company I now cannot stand at all. I like EA more than them, like, much more. It's disturbing.

Another Ubi title?

zHPiW6Q.gif

Xater

Let's all start taking bets at how bad The Division will be

These will probably be purchases for things you can unlock normally just like most micro transactions but they're still a bit naughty.

No matter how good The Division turns out I refuse to buy a game that has a model like this. Absolutely unacceptable in the full price game space.

So why do you buy them then?

It's a joke on mictrotransactions. You basically buy a game so you can put more money into it to not actually play it.

Starting to feel like this is the overall goal of modern gaming monetization efforts.

It's not like Ubisoft/EA/Activision have ever tried to hide that goal. All of them were very candid about milking their audience to the fullest extend.
It's a logical evolution of their DLC policies, and it's only going to grow larger in scale in the coming years.

It's all about how it's implemented. As long as the game's progression doesn't feel like it was built to encourage micro transactions like a f2p game, I don't have much of a problem with it.

Uthred

The fact thats theres microtransaction stuff everywhere is bad, but without context it seems a stretch to decalre it "the most disgusting microtransactions ever". How hard the stuff is to get without paying money has a lot to do with that.

Parsnip

Credit Card
It's totally subliminal messaging.

Xater

It's all about how it's implemented. As long as the game's progression doesn't feel like it was built to encourage micro transactions like a f2p game, I don't have much of a problem with it.

I think as soon as you introduce something like this your design changes. Everything just takes a little bit longer to achieve. You don't introduce it for shits and giggles. If you had confidence in you design and progression people wouldn't feel the need to boost their progression in the first place, so something like this is not needed.

It's a competitive game to boot, so it's double bad.

Oh yeah forgot about that. SO yeah you can basically also just buy your way to victory. Amazing.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Guess there'll be yet another Ubisoft episode of Jimquisition then.

Braag

Starting to feel like this is the overall goal of modern gaming monetization efforts.

Yeah well, the industry keeps getting greedier as we go.
It started with DLC then season passes and now it's time for microtransactions in full priced games.
I don't even want to know what they will come up with 10 years from now.

Top Bottom