• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canonically, who is the strongest fighter in the Smash Bros universe?

Varjet

Man, Kirby's getting hyped up a lot for a guy that can get hurt by having a Waddle Dee walk into him. A Waddle Dee.

Kangi

Man, Kirby's getting hyped up a lot for a guy that can get hurt by having a Waddle Dee walk into him. A Waddle Dee.
Some incarnations of Kirby have been shown to be virtually indestructible.

The only thing between Kirby and dispatching pantheons of gods is whether he thinks they have a slice of his cake.

JediLink

monado-xenoblade.png

>

everything

Never thought about the whole Ganon thing, but in that case wouldn't Link be more powerful since he has the Master Sword?

Doesn't seem to stop him most of the time. In fact he murders Link even when he has the Master Sword in one of the timelines, at least according to Nintendo. Let's see... (SPOILERS)

ALttP: Master Sword weakened him, Silver Arrows had to put him down.

OoT: Stabbed multiple times as Ganondorf, stabbed multiple times as Ganon, stabbed through the skull and...was barely restrained long enough to be sealed away.

WW: Had the Triforce of Power taken away and the King's wish to bring hope and wash away everything about Hyrule, and still had to be stabbed in the head to be put down.

TP: Exorcised, multiple bites on an open wound, took all of Midna's Fused Shadow in a point-blank attack, shot by Zelda multiple times, stabbed numerous times, run through by the Master Sword and...kept on going. Only the Triforce of Power's removal and Zant spiritually snapping his neck (or whatever that was) actually did the job.

Oracle games: Came back wrong and without any Triforce pieces and severely weakened, and still takes multiple hits from the Master Sword.

Yeah... the Master Sword is great, but it really doesn't seem to do jack all to him. Link always has massive help (and in two cases divine intervention) to actually deal with Ganon. Only the Silver Arrows really work, and only two Links ever had those.

If Ganon has his Triforce of Power, and it was just a one on one with Link, Link loses that fight (again, barring the Silver Arrows). And if Link can't get the job done, I'm not sure who else in the Smash roster can. Ness might be the only one, since he interacts with reality in a different way than the others.

For being the blade of evil's bane, it doesn't seem to work too well on Ganon. Light arrows are even less effective. If he can't be killed by those, how good of a chance does anyone else have?

This is a guy who shrugs off death like it's a cold.

*Splinter

Doesn't seem to stop him most of the time. In fact he murders Link even when he has the Master Sword in one of the timelines, at least according to Nintendo. Let's see... (SPOILERS)

ALttP: Master Sword weakened him, Silver Arrows had to put him down.

OoT: Stabbed multiple times as Ganondorf, stabbed multiple times as Ganon, stabbed through the skull and...was barely restrained long enough to be sealed away.

WW: Had the Triforce of Power taken away and the King's wish to bring hope and wash away everything about Hyrule, and still had to be stabbed in the head to be put down.

TP: Exorcised, multiple bites on an open wound, took all of Midna's Fused Shadow in a point-blank attack, shot by Zelda multiple times, stabbed numerous times, run through by the Master Sword and...kept on going. Only the Triforce of Power's removal and Zant spiritually snapping his neck (or whatever that was) actually did the job.

Oracle games: Came back wrong and without any Triforce pieces and severely weakened, and still takes multiple hits from the Master Sword.

Yeah... the Master Sword is great, but it really doesn't seem to do jack all to him. Link always has massive help (and in two cases divine intervention) to actually deal with Ganon. Only the Silver Arrows really work, and only two Links ever had those.

If Ganon has his Triforce of Power, and it was just a one on one with Link, Link loses that fight (again, barring the Silver Arrows). And if Link can't get the job done, I'm not sure who else in the Smash roster can. Ness might be the only one, since he interacts with reality in a different way than the others.

For being the blade of evil's bane, it doesn't seem to work too well on Ganon. Light arrows are even less effective. If he can't be killed by those, how good of a chance does anyone else have?

This is a guy who shrugs off death like it's a cold.

I dunno, immortality seems like more of a negative than a positive if you're going to spend the rest of eternity in Kirby's colon...

Same for the other immortals/gods people have been mentioning.
Still this.

It's really no contest.

I feel like we should add a few people to the list of those who have killed gods, I mean isn't
Demise
Technically a god? I mean he's described as both concurring time itself and as being the source of all monsters/evil, and then there's Dark Gaia and Time Eater, one's the source of all evil and the other has god-like powers over time, and then there's Chaos who is described as being God-like, meaning Link has taken down a
God of evil
and Sonic's taken down a god of, time, evil, and a super deity of water. This isn't to mention that Sonic can apparently run fast enough not only to time travel, but to physically rewrite and restore history, oh and then there's Iblis and Solaris.

Meaning Sonic's taken down four gods.

I feel like we should add a few people to the list of those who have killed gods, I mean isn't
Demise
Technically a god? I mean he's described as both concurring time itself and as being the source of all monsters/evil

I think Demise doesn't even match up to Ganondorf in terms of power, since Ganon has the Triforce of Power backing him while Demise doesn't. As far as the Link argument goes, he would definitely be great at taking out certain enemies, but it's hard to imagine him successfully battling Ness, Mewtwo, or Palutena. I think he'd have trouble managing Samus.

Varjet

[..]run through by the Master Sword and...kept on going. Only the Triforce of Power's removal [...] actually did the job.

I think you're missing something here :p

Demise
Technically a god? I mean he's described as both concurring time itself and as being the source of all monsters/evil, and then there's Dark Gaia and Time Eater, one's the source of all evil and the other has god-like powers over time, and then there's Chaos who is described as being God-like, meaning Link has taken down a
God of evil

Demise isn't a god, if he was he wouldn't be able to use the Triforce.

Edit: This reminds me, describing someones power by saying that they are a "god" is pretty meaningless, since Hylia was a goddess and obviously not anywhere near as powerful as the Golden Goddesses. Probably not as strong as Demise either, who is not a god.

I think Demise doesn't even match up to Ganondorf in terms of power, since Ganon has the Triforce of Power backing him while Demise doesn't. As far as the Link argument goes, he would definitely be great at taking out certain enemies, but it's hard to imagine him successfully battling Ness, Mewtwo, or Palutena. I think he'd have trouble managing Samus.
I don't know, isn't Demise suppose to be the basis for Ganon? I mean I think with the ToP he's pretty powerful, but I don't think Ganon is that strong. Plus I mean Sonics still up there.
Demise isn't a god, if he was he wouldn't be able to use the Triforce.

Yeah, I forgot about that.

Daingurse

Was coming in here to say Super Sonic, but now I'm not sure, Shulk sounds ridiculous. Didn't beat Xenoblade so I didn't know Shulk was on that level.

mnemovore

I'm pretty sure it's Ness.

Earthbound Spoilers
Ness can draw on the prayers of people in other universes and even into and beyond fictional universes. In the game, you, the player, pray for him and this gives him power. Theoretically, there are an infinite number of universes in the multiverse, and an infinite number of fictional universes within those universes, which means there is an infinite number of people who could pray for Ness. If every prayer gives him a quantifiable amount of power, then Ness literally has the potential for infinite power.

NEO0MJ

I'm pretty sure it's Ness.

Earthbound Spoilers
Ness can draw on the prayers of people in other universes and even into and beyond fictional universes. In the game, you, the player, pray for him and this gives him power. Theoretically, there are an infinite number of universes in the multiverse, and an infinite number of fictional universes within those universes, which means there is an infinite number of people who could pray for Ness. If every prayer gives him a quantifiable amount of power, then Ness literally has the potential for infinite power.

But wasn't it Paula who prayed? Unless you mean that it was Ness who channeled the power of those prayers. I forgot how it happened exactly.

Nottle

It's probably either Shulk, Pit, Ness, or Kirby, Maybe Mewtwo.
I won't say Paulatena because Pit has beaten her. Ness and Kirby are notable in that they are strong by virtue of raw skill. Pit's power is granted from the god's and Shulk's stems from the monado,

Palutena is a goddess and we've never seen her true power. She could be pretending to fight hard just to get a good laugh with the other fighters.

And for someone who's pretty cute and adorable, Kirby's an indestructible killing machine when he's got the right motivation. His strength varies from time to time (and on how hungry he is)

Rosalina tho, not sure how strong she really is. She did get overthrown by Bowser once, and was powerless to stop him. She's got magical powers that don't seem too much on the strong side.

Never played Xenoblade so I'll take people's word about Shulk being strong as hell. Ganondorf could rank up there too, hasn't it been said if there was no Master Sword Ganondorf would be virtually unstoppable?

Ness got a HUGE increase in his already exponential power in Brawl, when he destroyed the Porky statue EASILY. Bear in mind that in the game, it has immense amounts of health, and cannot be defeated normally.

mnemovore

But wasn't it Paula who prayed? Unless you mean that it was Ness who channeled the power of those prayers. I forgot how it happened exactly.

Paula started the prayer. There's a cutscene where everyone you've met prays for you, and then the game asks the player to pray.

munchie64

Paula started the prayer. There's a cutscene where everyone you've met prays for you, and then the game asks the player to pray.
So
Ness has the power to reach through the fourth wall and manifest the prayers of other dimensional beings?
I think we have a winner.

NEO0MJ

Palutena is a goddess and we've never seen her true power. She could be pretending to fight hard just to get a good laugh with the other fighters.

I doubt she was fighting for fun when the Chaos Kin had her under its control and from the damage her forces caused when they were following her command she couldn't resist its influence, so she didn't have any hesitation when fighting Pit.

onilink88

Was coming in here to say Super Sonic, but now I'm not sure, Shulk sounds ridiculous. Didn't beat Xenoblade so I didn't know Shulk was on that level.

Yeah. A misconception about the Monado is that
it's some kind of time manipulation device. It's not; it manipulates literally anything and everything.
Massive endgame spoilers:
To will Gods out of existence, Shulk literally destroys and recreates the universe.
I think that's pretty much the ceiling for how much power you can have.

red731

TIL that Kirby is OP as hell. He must came from planet "Don'tFucketery".

Seriously impressive write up on him, his powers and backstory.

Javier

Let's see:

Ridiculously OP Tier
- Shulk
- Kirby

Godly Tier
- Palutena
- Rosalina
- Ness
- Mewtwo
- Pit

Impressive-in-their-Ultimate-Form Tier
- Sonic
- Ganondorf
- Mario
- Bowser
- Link
- Pac-Man (Prove me wrong if he deserves worse, but he's basically Kirby lite)
- Donkey Kong (Putting him here only because
punching the moon out of his orbit
in DKCR was damn awesome and deserves a tier above all others)

Everyone else probably goes here, and it's hard to judge them since their abilities are so relative. Lucario is probably pretty high since his Mega Form is quite powerful, the Fire Emblem characters can all slay godly/demonic incarnations, specially Ike, but he needs help to do so. ROB and Duck Hunt hardly have anything to go for in their original games, so you can't really place them anywhere. Mr G&W is probably on a tier of his own if we start analizing his games.

Below everyone else is Wii Fit Trainer.

Platy

Yeah. A misconception about the Monado is that
it's some kind of time manipulation device. It's not; it manipulates literally anything and everything.
Massive endgame spoilers:
To will Gods out of existence, Shulk literally destroys and recreates the universe.
I think that's pretty much the ceiling for how much power you can have.

So the sword is the one with power ?

gVHH1CG.jpg

Kirby can COPY IT ENTIRELY

edit :
Below everyone else is Wii Fit Trainer.

THEORICALY Olimar is as small as a bug ... so WFT can squash him =P

onilink88

So the sword is the one with power ?

The sword has power, yeah, but it gets a little more complicated by the end of the game,
as, I believe, Shulk himself becomes a God (or would that be a Demiurge?).

Kirby can COPY IT ENTIRELY

But Shulk could easily neutralize his copying ability (or, hell, destroy and recreate the universe so that there are no Kirbys :p), leaving him as nothing but a sentient piece of bubblegum, haha. :p

The Triforce left him because he was dying.
Yeah, he stood up again, but he knew he was done for.

That's pretty subjective. He looked ready to keep going to me until Zant snapped his neck. It's all non-verbal vagueness. Besides, it wouldn't really lessen the impact of everything else I mentioned (being stabbed, shot, bitten, etc in that game, and brushing death off anyways) so I don't really see the point in arguing that detail.

Ezalc

People mentioning kirby forget about the fact that he's only a few inches tall and gets made bigger in Smash. Because of that, he wouldn't be able to inhale anything aside from things around his original size. If he was bigger, sure he'd be OP but he's not.

Also Ike and Marth have killed gods and Robin is somewhat in that area as well. Shulk is still probably the strongest though since the monado is broken as hell.

Varjet

That's pretty subjective. He looked ready to keep going to me until Zant snapped his neck. It's all non-verbal vagueness. Besides, it wouldn't really lessen the impact of everything else I mentioned (being stabbed, shot, bitten, etc in that game, and brushing death off anyways) so I don't really see the point in arguing that detail.

Nope, he was dying and he was aware of it, his last words wouldn't make sense otherwise. The cut dialog makes it even more obvious.

Top Bottom