• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP Tomb Raider 2013

OG Kush

Playing this on the 360 right now, and can someone please tell me why this doesn't get more praise for its graphics?! Probably one of the best looking games Ive seen on the console. Thought id be a bit let down starting on a last gen console, but goddamn is it beautiful!

I put three hours into it and uninstalled. I kept playing to the first puzzle dungeon to see what they were like and was so underwhelmed that I couldn't be bothered to play for more when I got to the next QTE. I just couldn't stand the QTE in this game although the shooting and platforming were ok. I'm just not used to QTE any more as they are so old fashioned and were always crap. Or the ones in this game were just especially bad for me.

Seanspeed

Banned
Playing this on the 360 right now, and can someone please tell me why this doesn't get more praise for its graphics?! Probably one of the best looking games Ive seen on the console. Thought id be a bit let down starting on a last gen console, but goddamn is it beautiful!
This game seemed to take a while for people to realize how good it was. I think the PC crowd were wowed by it and then it got a lot more attention when it had a remaster for the PS4/XB1.

I never played it on the 360/PS3, so I don't know how it looked on those, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear it was a great looking game for the hardware, especially for a multiplatform.

Anyways, I'm about halfway through playing Uncharted 2 and I must say, Tomb Raider is the more fun game. Pretty easily, too. The things that UC2 does best contributes so little to how fun it actually is to play. They give you these beautiful environments and absolutely no reason(or way) to go and explore them. Not that Tomb Raider 2013 is the best at this, but there was still a bit of fun in poking about and hanging around an area to find all its secrets(secrets that often gave you something worthwhile for doing so). And the combat is a degree or two better.

Gotta say, I'm pretty damn disappointed with Uncharted given all its praise. And its made me more upset at the Tomb Raider 2 exclusivity deal, cuz Uncharted just aint scratchin the itch. Hopefully its just a timed deal. q

OG Kush

This game seemed to take a while for people to realize how good it was. I think the PC crowd were wowed by it and then it got a lot more attention when it had a remaster for the PS4/XB1.

I never played it on the 360/PS3, so I don't know how it looked on those, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear it was a great looking game for the hardware, especially for a multiplatform.

Anyways, I'm about halfway through playing Uncharted 2 and I must say, Tomb Raider is the more fun game. Pretty easily, too. The things that UC2 does best contributes so little to how fun it actually is to play. They give you these beautiful environments and absolutely no reason(or way) to go and explore them. Not that Tomb Raider 2013 is the best at this, but there was still a bit of fun in poking about and hanging around an area to find all its secrets(secrets that often gave you something worthwhile for doing so). And the combat is a degree or two better.

Gotta say, I'm pretty damn disappointed with Uncharted given all its praise. And its made me more upset at the Tomb Raider 2 exclusivity deal, cuz Uncharted just aint scratchin the itch. Hopefully its just a timed deal. q

Whaaa?! I'm really enjoy tomb raider right now, and after reading so many tomb raider threads where everyone is saying UC2 is better, its made me really want to pickup UC2. Bought UC1 a few years back but didn't really enjoy it that much due to the shooting mechanics, but thought UC2 I may still enjoy due to all the praise it gets. Seems like it may not be as good as I hoped.

KorrZ

Uncharted 2 > Tomb Raider > Uncharted 3 >>>>>>>>> Uncharted 1

I really enjoyed Tomb Raider the first time I played it. It was one of those games where I just wanted to keep on going, I think I beat it in 2-3 days just playing with every minute of free time I had.

Grisby

Yeah, it looked damn good on the 360.

If you end up getting a next gen system try out the definitive edition. Makes a good looking game look a lot greater, Lara's model is stunning in some parts.

It's a good game.

I wish it didn't fully automate the cover. The way The Last of Us handled cover was the best out of any 3PS. Everyone should do it that way, where its not a stick to the wall cover system. Just get behind something and duck, perfect.

Uncharted 2 > Tomb Raider > Uncharted 3 >>>>>>>>> Uncharted 1

I really enjoyed Tomb Raider the first time I played it. It was one of those games where I just wanted to keep on going, I think I beat it in 2-3 days just playing with every minute of free time I had.

I prefer Uncharted 3. The part where they're firing rockets at you was great. I like the story more because the villain has an actual relationship with Nathan, and I thought the puzzles were marginally better.

Gravidee

I thought this was a lot more fun to play than any of the Uncharted games. Collecting treasures actually demonstrated some of Lara's knowledge about artifacts, unlike Drake who just picked up whatever shit he could find and stuffed it into his pocket as long as it was shiny looking. I also liked the ability to upgrade weapons. And I also didn't have as much of a hard time with enemies as I did in Uncharted. Both games had some of those horde segments but the ones in Uncharted would never end. I felt like a badass sniping guys' heads with arrows, gunning them at close range and axing any stragglers from behind.

Seanspeed

Banned
Whaaa?! I'm really enjoy tomb raider right now, and after reading so many tomb raider threads where everyone is saying UC2 is better, its made me really want to pickup UC2. Bought UC1 a few years back but didn't really enjoy it that much due to the shooting mechanics, but thought UC2 I may still enjoy due to all the praise it gets. Seems like it may not be as good as I hoped.
Don't take my single opinion and treat it as gospel. You may feel differently.

Depends on what you value in a game, I guess.

I felt the combat was more fun than Uncharted and I had no problem with the story since it was just another B-Movie type adventure. Here's hoping they improve on the puzzles in Rise.

Miguel81

As someone that enjoyed the PSOne Core games and Anniversary, this one didn't do it for me. It's a good game, but I miss the sense of isolation and platforming/puzzles of the earlier games.

I'm hoping the sequel at least includes more of the majestic tombs that were common before. The island that this game takes place isn't exactly my cup o' tea.

IzzyF3

It's a good game.

I wish it didn't fully automate the cover. The way The Last of Us handled cover was the best out of any 3PS. Everyone should do it that way, where its not a stick to the wall cover system. Just get behind something and duck, perfect.

I thought it really worked for the single player experience. Last of Us's system was better for multiplayer for sure.

There's something about adventuring in a single location and single struggle that really resonates with me. Games like TR, the original Resident Evils, the original MGS, and Arkham Asylum really nails a certain rhythm that makes me want to keep playing to the end.

I haven't found many memorable characters in games lately. This new Lara Croft quickly became a classic character for me. I never found the older Lara compelling at all.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Microsoft begrudgingly confirmed that the exclusivity deal "has a duration", which doesn't leave any room for playing with the truth.

I thought it really worked for the single player experience. Last of Us's system was better for multiplayer for sure.

There's something about adventuring in a single location and single struggle that really resonates with me. Games like TR, the original Resident Evils, the original MGS, and Arkham Asylum really nails a certain rhythm that makes me want to keep playing to the end.

I haven't found many memorable characters in games lately. This new Lara Croft quickly became a classic character for me. I never found the older Lara compelling at all.

There's a disconnect to me when a game automates something so important like that. Give me more control. Not trying to rag on it though, its a great time.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

Tomb Raider is definitely better than Uncharted 2, but UC2 is still really good.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Tomb Raider is definitely better than Uncharted 2, but UC2 is still really good.

Depends on what you consider better....

Story and pacing -Uncharted 2.
Character development/acting - Uncharted 2.
Set pieces - Uncharted 2.
Gameplay mechanics - Tomb Raider. (Albeit, borrowed and refined from Uncharted.) I wouldn't say the bow qualifies as a + since Drake with a bow is not something that should be tackled on just for a gameplay list war. Does it make sense in the world of Nathan Drake? Maybe Yes. Does it make sense when it comes to Drake - the character? Prob not. The climbing Axe however does - which can be seen implemented in U4, in ND's own way. For the axe mechanic, TB gets my vote. Even tho I have my reservations about Uncharted platforming being better, arguably better - perhaps because it's used much more. Also melee combat - better in Uncharted. I guess when you take the bow into consideration and the axe mechanic I could give Tomb Raider a slight edge. I am not however too fond of the indicators being a rope wrap on practically every door/zipline post that's interact-able. Breaks immersion a bit. I guess it's necessary evil...I am sure it could be implemented more originally with some serious thought.

Linearity vs. "more open, yet-restricted environments" is a matter of direction as to what pushes a story forward better, and Uncharted executed better. You could coin this as level design but with these games it really isn't as clear cut as say Mario type of level of design. Likewise for say an open-world game like GTA V.
Puzzles - I would call this a virtual tie for the fact that they are too different to compare and dependent on the lore. I think that the Tombs in TB should of offered more depth but it's what it's. Also, making them optional and a non-story element is a travesty for die-hards.

Multiplayer - Uncharted 2.
CO-OP - Uncharted 2 - by default.

Overall package - Uncharted 2. Same thing for Uncharted 3. We can have tastes obviously.

UC2>UC3>Tomb Raider>UC1. For die hards of the old Tomb Raiders this game is a travesty obviously. I for one accept the new direction even if I would of chosen otherwise. Crystal Dynamics still has ways to go on many areas.

Seanspeed

Banned
Depends on what you consider better....

Story and pacing. Uncharted 2.
Story isn't good in either title.

Pacing is an entirely different category.

Character development/acting. Uncharted 2.
I'll give it that. Not necessarily 'development', but plain presentation of the characters is a lot better. Top notch, really. Its something I think Naughty Dog does better than anyone, in my opinion.

Set pieces. Uncharted 2.
Personally, I feel like UC2's set pieces are very 'cinematic', but I think Tomb Raider does them with more drama and impact.

Gameplay mechanics. Tomb Raider. (Albeit, borrowed and refined from Uncharted.) I wouldn't say the bow qualifies as a + since Drake with a bow is not something that should be tackled on just for a gameplay list war. Does it make sense in the world of Nathan Drake? Maybe Yes. Does it make sense when it comes to Drake - the character? Prob not. The climbing Axe however does - which can be seen implemented in U4, in ND's own way. For the axe mechanic, TB gets my vote.
Well yes, the bow counts as a plus because its fucking fun. Sorry that Drake with a bow makes no sense, but you cant fault Tomb Raider because its entire gameplay premise involves more fun elements.

Tomb Raider simply does combat encounters more entertaining anyways.

Linearity vs. "more open, yet-restricted environments" is a matter of direction as to what pushes a story forward better, and Uncharted executed better. You could coin this as level design but with these games it really isn't as clear cut as say Mario type of level of design. Likewise for say an open-world game like GTA V.
While Tomb Raider isn't up to the standards of old Tomb Raiders, it still blows UC2 out of the water here. No if's, and's or but's about it. Uncharted 2 is extremely linear and has little to no exploration. Tomb Raider is adequate here. Not great by any means, but it does have worthwhile exploration and levels open enough to be meaningful in ways.

Puzzles - I would call this a virtual tie for the fact that they are too different to compare and dependent on the lore. I think that the Tombs in TB should of offered more depth but it's what it's.
Yea, for Tomb Raider, the 'tombs/puzzles' were poor as shit. Super disappointing.

But UC2's puzzles aren't exactly anything to brag about. They are very direction driven with pretty much no clever thinking necessary.

Multiplayer - Uncharted 2.
Haven't tried it, but I don't doubt it.

CO-OP - Uncharted 2 - by default.
Sure. Again, haven't tried it, but Tomb Raider doesn't even have co-op, right?

Overall package - Uncharted 2. Same thing for Uncharted 3. We can have tastes obviously..

UC2>UC3>Tomb Raider>UC1. For die hards of the old Tomb Raiders this game is a travesty obviously. I for one accept the new direction even if I would of chosen otherwise. Crystal Dynamics still has ways to go on many areas.
Like I said, it really does depend on what you value in a game. We obviously have very different 'values'.

I'm a fan of old Tomb Raider games and while the newer incarnation doesn't live up to the old game's adventure spirit, its still an entertaining time and does a lot of meaningful things better than Uncharted.

To each their own, though.

Anyone else play this with K+bam?

I found the game to be much to easy . . . which took a my overall enjoyment away. A lot of the time I could just hang out behind one bit of cover and do just fine.

Fun while it lasted, puzzles were a let-down and much too easy aside from one in particular (wind tomb, I believe), story and characters are atrocious, using the bow is a large part of why the combat was fun, actual mechanics were solid overall, RPG-lite elements were unnecessary and felt shoehorned, and the level design was pretty bland. At times I felt like I was just going through the motions as I didn't particularly care about my goals or the awful characters and story the game was trying to shove in my face. It's an admittedly fun, yet forgettable experience that I have no desire to revisit, unlike the Uncharted games, which are always fun for me to replay and look at.

Edit: Almost forgot to mention, I enjoyed the way they did the automated cover for TR: 2013.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Story isn't good in either title.

Does not matter if you believe the story is crap on both. Uncharted 2 story is simply better when put side by side. I wouldn't bother playing Uncharted past 2 hours of my time if it wasn't for the story. Same as the new Tomb Raider - more so than ever, contrary to old ones.

It's a simple question of: Why is s/he here? and, why should I care to continue pressing buttons?

These games are largely story-driven. So NO.
Pacing is an entirely different category.

Even if so. Uncharted 2 is better at managing the high and lows of the story and keeping you engaged. Not surprisingly, the lows are usually platforming/puzzle time complementing the action that comes after - enemy encounters. From time to time, ND even mixes it up and puts some sense of urgency in both (flooding, spiders, scarabs, gunmen etc)....

I'll give it that. Not necessarily 'development', but plain presentation of the characters is a lot better. Top notch, really. Its something I think Naughty Dog does better than anyone, in my opinion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Characterization

Characters... presented by means of description, through their actions, speech, or thoughts.

For example: Lara Croft in new TR is presented as a recent college grad in archeology who in a matter of seconds becomes super girl handling bows, guns, melee etc. Some dude(captain?) keeps justifying her nature/new found skills throughout the story saying she's a Croft - never doubt. A skill tree system kind of hurts character development here, despite objectively adding more gameplay depth- IMO.

Personally, I feel like UC2's set pieces are very 'cinematic', but I think Tomb Raider does them with more drama and impact.

A matter of taste. There are lots of impact/drama moments in Uncharted set pieces and cinematics too. I could do a list but not worth my time. Uncharted 2 is full of it. Same as in UC3.

Well yes, the bow counts as a plus because its fucking fun. Sorry that Drake with a bow makes no sense, but you cant fault Tomb Raider because its entire gameplay premise involves more fun elements.

I am not faulting TR for it. I'm merely saying it's an indifference factor. I don't fault TB for having strict QTE melee combat unlike Uncharted. That in a way makes Uncharted melee combat encounters more fun, even if it also has QTE's, albeit much less. Why do I feel TR strict QTE melee combat is an indifference factor? Well because I don't picture or find near as believable that Lara could go head-to-head with the many male thugs she faces on a fist fight. Maybe in isolated encounters this could happen (probably scripted) but not at large. Thank god for the axe though... triangle wasn't it? Press it twice at an unsuspecting enemy and bamn. Press once more to finish....

Melee combat in Uncharted is simply better. Likewise for platforming, and its lack thereof in TR - relative to Uncharted. Uncharted platforming is also an indifference factor... despite being more abundant.

Like I said, the axe mechanic, taking everything into consideration (the bow), gives TR a slight edge but I do have my reservations. I guess I'm trying to be PC in something I am not really sure I believe in - except that I found the axe climbing mechanic a clever way of tacking rock-climbing platforming. I think the guys at ND did too - hence U4 demo. I am not too sure if this axe mechanic was borrowed from other games. I do remember something similar in MW2(ice climbing), and Far Cry 3? probably has it...not sure. Lets just say I found its inclusion in TR well executed.

Tomb Raider simply does combat encounters more entertaining anyways.

A matter of taste. Gunplay and melee combat in Uncharted, the constant swapping of these two is extremely fun. There are also more dynamic combat encounters in Uncharted as in say - more variety. You'll have encounters in rooftops, moving trains, horse riding, flying airplanes, inside hotels, in streets, ships, barges, hanging from ledges etc etc etc etc. AI is arguably better too.

FUN™. Combat encounters are not part of the gameplay mechanics topic - per say.

While Tomb Raider isn't up to the standards of old Tomb Raiders, it still blows UC2 out of the water here. No if's, and's or but's about it. Uncharted 2 is extremely linear and has little to no exploration. Tomb Raider is adequate here. Not great by any means, but it does have worthwhile exploration and levels open enough to be meaningful in ways.

Hyperbole.

I see it as a trade-off proposition, a balancing act. Tomb Raider is Uncharted meets Far Cry - a blend. In my personal experience, exploration in Tomb Raider has one sole purpose - collectibles. It helps that this happens in a secluded island and not a modern city of sorts (GTA) or constantly changing world locations (Uncharted). TR does not have to deal with civilized standards that would make you question some of her abilities to move around and use of the bow - that is, the areas that the developers tailor made for you to "explore". It's of no surprise to me that instead of going full Far Cry they decided to put story pieces as gatekeepers for other "open areas/skill tree progressions". They're still very much restricted.

Yea, for Tomb Raider, the 'tombs/puzzles' were poor as shit. Super disappointing.

But UC2's puzzles aren't exactly anything to brag about. They are very direction driven with pretty much no clever thinking necessary.

Well, strictly speaking of Tomb Raider, the tomb and puzzles SHOULD be the center piece of the story w/ Lara at the helm. The new Tomb Raider is more "The Life of Lara Croft" w/ optional tombs so that we can call it Tomb Raider on the box-cover. It should be a "Lara Croft" game, not "Tomb Raider" per say.

Uncharted puzzles are very accessible - purposefully, to avoid it being a detriment to story progression by the user. I mentioned this example before: I know a person who quit on UC3 because he couldn't finish a damn puzzle. Says a lot about "We" are not everyone.

Haven't tried it, but I don't doubt it.

Sure. Again, haven't tried it, but Tomb Raider doesn't even have co-op, right?

It's no contest when it comes to MP and Tomb Raider does not have CO-OP. CO-OP is a missed opportunity if Crystal Dynamics were to focus on Tombs...that could totally be do-able.
To each their own, though.

We can have tastes, Yes.

DonMigs85

Game looked really stunning on PS4, I got all the singleplayer trophies but I'll probably never plat it since the multiplayer is pretty much dead.

Jobbs

Banned
I really enjoyed the game. I'm not a fan of the more uncharted elements like the "woohh the world is falling apart!!' setpieces, but I like the overall asthetic, controls, and combat. I also really enjoy the slightly more authentic approach to Lara Croft -- I know there's a disconnect between the character's behavior early on and how many in-gameplay badguys you end up killing -- But, that aside, I liked her personality and voice over for what it was. If you suspend your disbelief as to the sheer number of badguys you're killing, there's an interesting progression in the character. It's not perfect, but it tries to do something more, and I appreciate that.

I also really really appreciate the lovingly made Definitive Edition on PS4. They upgraded the visuals in many ways, added new details, new physics (trees sway, lara's model now has more articulation on the tools and belt, etc) and on PS4 it runs at mostly 60 or near 60 fps.

I would have liked to see less setpiece uncharted gameplay, less linearity, and more emphasis placed on exploration and more open environments -- hopefully we can get that next time! I have a hunch that they will try to move it this way.

P.S. also would like to see combat de-emphasized a bit and look at other things as equally important -- such as platforming, puzzles, tomb raiding...

Aizo

Banned
Beat it today. Overall, didn't love it. Enjoyed it a lot at the beginning, but the "cinematic" aspects took away a lot of player control. Also, QTE final boss is super lame. Still above average, but not great. Looking forward to the improvements in the future.

Big disappointment. Could have been much more.

-Laughable story
-Forgettable characters
-Little to no puzzles
-Where's the tomb raiding?
-The final boss
is a QTE...WTF

At least the core gameplay was good. That bow was really fun to use. As an overall package, though, it was poor; it fails in both staying true to TR's roots and following the new direction of AAA games. As a more cinematic version of Tomb Raider I think Legend was much better.

Awesome game.

Worst part about it was the side characters and story surrounding them. Would've liked the 3rd act to be pure isolation instead of what we got.

chemicals

Just got to 25 percent and I must say I really like this game. At first it felt too scripted and too much like a never ending sequence of set pieces... The controls (in the free-roam parts) were nice. She can jump like a freakish distance. Lol.

When I first heard about this game I was turned off by the talk of the gruesome violence and rape scenes... Thus far those scenes are just accessories to a much greater game. It has enough fun with the bow and the tombsjumping that the scripted parts are satisfying.

I am a huge fan of TR1, 2, 3, Legend, Anniv, Underworld. The first Tomb Raider on PS1 trumped Mario 64 in my opinion. TR was the game I could stay up and play all night.

Reset

A poor man's Uncharted. It had an awful cast of characters, meh story, the only memorable location was the snow mountains but then again the only reason I remember it was because it reminded me of Uncharted 2's mountains, and I can't think of think of memorable set piece.

The only positive thing I could say is that using the bow was fun.

Gono

Banned
TR has awful level design. It's extremely linear and they still tell you where to go with glowing paint everwhere, popups on the HUD, and voice. You don't explore and find your way and your way never challenges you. It's like following a nature trail between shooting galleries; a guided tour of Murder Island. Good level design acts as an obstacle for you to overcome.

Is it possible to play without the glowing guiding objects crap? It was one of the many things I disliked when I first tried to get into it.

Warablo

I enjoyed it more than the Uncharted games, but I didn't play the Uncharted games at release. I have a feeling I will enjoy them more on the PS4 than I did on the PS3.

I do hope the new Tomb Raider is more about tombs and ancient secrets. Less about shooting mercenaries. Even if that means more supernatural enemies and wildlife.

I found the gameplay fantastic, enjoyable combat, upgrading weapons, and exploring the island. Everything else was trash, the story, the characters, etc etc. Some of them grew on me, Lara was incredibly acted for example.

The upgrade system helps make the combat rewarding. Fighting wolves and hunting, while a nice change of pace, never really amounted to anything more than scavenging resources. I thought it was a wasted potential. Maybe a thirst and hunger management system could have been done since the game had "survivor" theme.

Felspawn

I actually got around to beating TR this weekend, I really enjoyed it. I liked the cast if Characters, I enjoyed the combat and survival elements. The combat never felt tedious to me like it sometimes could in uncharted. If I had a criticism its that the survivalist aspect of the game caused the Tomb raider aspect to take a back seat. Sure there were optional puzzles but they could have been better integrated . still very much enjoyed it

Every time Tomb Raider is mentioned, Uncharted always follows. It's funny to think that the original Uncharted was labeled "Dude Raider" and was clearly inspired by Lara's adventures. Now the reboot has been inspired by the set pieces and cinematic of Uncharted.

I felt Tomb Raider was unbalanced in my opinion, the combat was probably my favorite part of that game, upgrading was also a really addictive way to keep me interested in each encounter. Everything else just didn't click for me, this is more about taste really. I just don't really enjoy the overly dark and dreary island setting, though it is fun to explore at least. The characters were insufferable, though I'll say they do kinda grow on you, very little. Story is always subjective but I'm not a fan of the whole "Oh this character is coincidentally the perfect candidate to
transfer soul
into." Long story short, excellent combat and exploration, characters (besides Lara) are boring, story didn't grab me, and I'm not a fan of the island's aesthetics.

Uncharted's combat isn't as in depth as Tomb Raiders, but it blends so well with everything else. When I'm climbing, jumping into cover, or running away from something I always feel like I'm in control. Also the overall light-hearted tone of the game kept me engaged. It manages to run through the whole gamut of emotions, from sad moments to exhilarating and everything between. To say Uncharted (2 in particular) is a jack-of-all-trades is understandable. It's really more than the sum of its parts.

RyudBoy

I just triple dipped and bought this on XB1 for $9.90 a couple of days ago. Still one of the best games made in the last few years. Can't wait for RoTR.

I just triple dipped and bought this on XB1 for $9.90 a couple of days ago. Still one of the best games made in the last few years. Can't wait for RoTR.

Don't feel bad. I did the same. Lol. Such a fun game for me and gives me that adrenaline film like feeling so few games do. This is coming from a fan that has played Tomb Raider since day 1.

Noobcraft

I think the moment to moment gameplay is better than anything Uncharted (1-3) have to offer, but the story and characters are weaker, and as a package it's slightly less cohesive. That said I enjoyed my time with it, and I'm looking forward to both ROTR and Uncharted 4.

Game4life

Banned
A poor man's Uncharted. It had an awful cast of characters, meh story, the only memorable location was the snow mountains but then again the only reason I remember it was because it reminded me of Uncharted 2's mountains, and I can't think of think of memorable set piece.

The only positive thing I could say is that using the bow was fun.

Pretty much. One of the worst games ever made in my opinion and makes me want to play Uncharted 2 every time I see footage of it.

RagnarokX

Just got to 25 percent and I must say I really like this game. At first it felt too scripted and too much like a never ending sequence of set pieces... The controls (in the free-roam parts) were nice. She can jump like a freakish distance. Lol.

When I first heard about this game I was turned off by the talk of the gruesome violence and rape scenes... Thus far those scenes are just accessories to a much greater game. It has enough fun with the bow and the tombsjumping that the scripted parts are satisfying.

I am a huge fan of TR1, 2, 3, Legend, Anniv, Underworld. The first Tomb Raider on PS1 trumped Mario 64 in my opinion. TR was the game I could stay up and play all night.
The problem is the game isn't a platformer. She can jump far, but she only has one kind of jump and the level design never challenges you. Timing and aiming aren't important. There are only like 7 tombs in the entire game and they're each only 1 room with simple puzzles (one doesn't even have a puzzle) and there aren't many puzzles outside of those tombs.

The few parts where you can stealth kill everyone are nice since they're kinda like puzzles, but once you are spotted all enemies can track you from anywhere on the map. The AI in combat is pretty dumb and there is very little variety in enemies. The endgame sequence is especially anticlimactic considering how much time they spend building it up.

Is it possible to play without the glowing guiding objects crap? It was one of the many things I disliked when I first tried to get into it.

Nope. In fact, sometimes the game forces detective mode and sometimes Lara will talk to herself to tell you what to do. No way to turn any of it off.

Yoday

Tomb Raider is one of my favorite games of last generation. I am playing through it on the XB1, which will be my third play through since it originally came out, and I still love it to pieces. I have been a Tomb Raider fan since the the PS1 era, and I love the new direction of the series. I do agree though that it could have used more puzzles, and more puzzle variation. Rise of the Tomb Raider is one of my most anticipated games of the year, and I can't wait to play it.

im_dany

Combat was really fun (dat crossbow) but after the ending the game left me with nothing.
I can't stand both this and Uncharted because they should be about exploration but they're on rails.

Also it deleted my multiplayer progress for no reason.

Combat was really fun (dat crossbow) but after the ending the game left me with nothing.
I can't stand both this and Uncharted because they should be about exploration but they're on rails.

Also it deleted my multiplayer progress for no reason.

It did you a favor(unless you were trophy hunting).

Top Bottom