• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Thaedolus
Member
(04-11-2006, 09:29 PM)
Thaedolus's Avatar
So this WoW player dies in real life, and his guild decides to log in as his character and have it stand there while they all pay respect. This rival guild decides it's a good time for a raid.

Hilarity ensues.

Google video

Spiked humor video

Yeah, it's a little messed up, but the video's hilarious.
Kabuki Waq
Member
(04-11-2006, 09:32 PM)
Kabuki Waq's Avatar
:lol wtf?
Calidor
Member
(04-11-2006, 09:33 PM)
Calidor's Avatar
:lol :lol :lol
M3wThr33
Banned
(04-11-2006, 09:35 PM)
I have a HQ version of it. The text is a bit funny, but nothing to get worried over missing.
It isn't until nearly everybody died that there were chat responses.
HomShaBom
Banned
(04-11-2006, 09:36 PM)
HomShaBom's Avatar
WTF this is old, unless this video was never posted here...
Ronok
Member
(04-11-2006, 09:36 PM)
Ronok's Avatar
How can you be laughing when he died in real life...... As in a person died....... And they ruined the way other people were paying respects to his life........ WTF is wrong with you people?
ZombieSupaStar
beaten too hard
or not enough <3
(04-11-2006, 09:37 PM)
ZombieSupaStar's Avatar
because no one is accoutable for anything over internets, irl.
Azwethinkweiz
Member
(04-11-2006, 09:38 PM)
Azwethinkweiz's Avatar
Pro-tip: Don't be retarded and have a funeral in a contested zone.

Idiots.
M3wThr33
Banned
(04-11-2006, 09:39 PM)

Originally Posted by Ronok

How can you be laughing when he died in real life...... As in a person died....... And they ruined the way other people were paying respects to his life........ WTF is wrong with you people?

SHE. It was a female. And she died from a STROKE. I don't think it was an elder person, so I'm assuming the lady was overweight and spent all her time playing it, letting her heart get weaker every day. But that's just my blind assumption.
HomShaBom
Banned
(04-11-2006, 09:39 PM)
HomShaBom's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ronok

How can you be laughing when he died in real life...... As in a person died....... And they ruined the way other people were paying respects to his life........ WTF is wrong with you people?

So? You can't seriously say they weren't asking for it. They told everyone first of all, then they had it in contested territory.

They were asking to get owned.
C4Lukins
Junior Member
(04-11-2006, 09:39 PM)
C4Lukins's Avatar
If I died in real life, and my guild decided to hold an online funeral for me, I would hope that another guild would come along and slaughter them all.
Ranger X
Banned
(04-11-2006, 09:40 PM)
Ranger X's Avatar
That's hilarious! lol
I'm not so sure wich guild is the most pathetic in fact...
Chairman Yang
if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
(04-11-2006, 09:40 PM)
Chairman Yang's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ronok

How can you be laughing when he died in real life...... As in a person died....... And they ruined the way other people were paying respects to his life........ WTF is wrong with you people?

No one's laughing over the fact that a person died, but over the lame way of memorializing that person--BY STANDING AROUND AS BLOCKY CARTOON HUMANOIDS IN A VIDEO GAME. Sorry, I don't want this behaviour to be legitimized. If you want to do dumb crap like this, go ahead, but don't expect everyone else to take it seriously.
Joe
Member
(04-11-2006, 09:41 PM)
Joe's Avatar
i think its awesome because the game lets you do that.

this like an ultimate sandbox experience.

and i know it sucks the guy died, and it was cool what his guild did but it was also funny as hell.
Qtopia
Banned
(04-11-2006, 09:41 PM)
Laughing about death isn't funny at all. It's a shame.
mashoutposse
Member
(04-11-2006, 09:42 PM)
mashoutposse's Avatar
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
















:lol
HomShaBom
Banned
(04-11-2006, 09:43 PM)
HomShaBom's Avatar

Originally Posted by Qtopia

Laughing about death isn't funny at all. It's a shame.

So? The people that got raided were whining and moaning like 2 yr olds. WTF did they expect on the internet?
Azwethinkweiz
Member
(04-11-2006, 09:44 PM)
Azwethinkweiz's Avatar
I'd like to know how they found out. I know if I died in real life no one in my guild would know. It's not like we exchange phone numbers or some shit, and I'm surely not going to tell loved ones to post a message on my guild's forums in the event I die.
GitarooMan
Member
(04-11-2006, 09:44 PM)
GitarooMan's Avatar
I'm no WoW player, seems like a shitty thing to do although far from surprising.
TheDuce22
Banned
(04-11-2006, 09:44 PM)
They were doing the dead guy a favor by breaking that shit up. :lol
Ramirez
Member
(04-11-2006, 09:45 PM)
Ramirez's Avatar
Perhaps she had a RL friend in the guild that told them.

And although I admit the crashing is somewhat funny,it's still sad to see the level some people will sink to just because they're on the internet and they feel as if they can act like a caveman.Not saying I would throw a funeral for my WoW friends if they did die,but hell if people want to do it,let them,no need to be dicks,although Im not surprised in the least.
Snaku
Sperm Receptacle
(04-11-2006, 09:45 PM)
Snaku's Avatar
:lol
Kabuki Waq
Member
(04-11-2006, 09:45 PM)
Kabuki Waq's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ronok

How can you be laughing when he died in real life...... As in a person died....... And they ruined the way other people were paying respects to his life........ WTF is wrong with you people?


paying your respects in WoW? the other guild are also players they pay their monthly fee they should be able to do what they want. Maybe they could have just had a private chat remembering the person or something...but no they had do it in a video game:lol
Cerrius
You like me, you really really like me!
(04-11-2006, 09:46 PM)
Cerrius's Avatar
:lol :lol :lol

I started bursting out laughing when I heard scatman
Sullen
Member
(04-11-2006, 09:46 PM)
Sullen's Avatar
This is old as hell, but I probably think that because I am in Serenity Now, the guild that did this.

p.s. Scatman owns.
M3wThr33
Banned
(04-11-2006, 09:47 PM)
Original death announcement:

On Tuesday of February 28th Illidan lost not only a good mage, but a good person. For those who knew her, Fayejin was one of the nicest people you could ever meet. On Tuesday she suffered from a stroke and passed away later that night.

I'm making this post basically to inform everyone that might have knew her. Also tomorrow, at 5:30 server time March, 4th. We will have an in game memorial for her so that her frriends can pay their respects. We will be having it at the Frostfire Hot Springs in Winterspring, because she loved to fish in the game (she liked the sound of the water, it was calming for her ) and she loved snow.

If you would like to come show your respects please do. :) Thanks everyone.

This was posted publicly on the WoW forums.
Kabuki Waq
Member
(04-11-2006, 09:47 PM)
Kabuki Waq's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sullen

This is old as hell, but I probably think that because I am in Serenity Now, the guild that did this.

p.s. Scatman owns.


whats the backstory on this attack? how did the other guild find out and stuff?
SiliconBean
Note to potential employers: mainlines heroin
(04-11-2006, 09:48 PM)
I can't lie but the way they set up the presentation of the video was funny BUT...... Why do that to someone when they really died I can see if she was just never going to play again and they were like retiring her but no she really died! That was sick.
Last edited by SiliconBean; 04-11-2006 at 09:51 PM.
h1nch
Member
(04-11-2006, 09:48 PM)
h1nch's Avatar

Originally Posted by C4Lukins

If I died in real life, and my guild decided to hold an online funeral for me, I would hope that another guild would come along and slaughter them all.

A-fucking-men brother

If that was my guild I would have soooo been there participating (in the killing, not the shitty funeral)
HomShaBom
Banned
(04-11-2006, 09:49 PM)
HomShaBom's Avatar

Originally Posted by SiliconBean

I can't lie but the way they set up the presentation of the video was funny BUT...... Why do that to someone when they really died I can see if he was just never going to play again and they were like retiring him but no he really died! That was sick.

Internets, Serious Business.
Kabuki Waq
Member
(04-11-2006, 09:49 PM)
Kabuki Waq's Avatar

Originally Posted by SiliconBean

I can't lie but the way they set up the presentation of the video was funny BUT...... Why do that to someone when they really died I can see if he was just never going to play again and they were like retiring him but no he really died! That was sick.


why take a game seriously enough to have an INGAME real funeral?
OmegaRed
Member
(04-11-2006, 09:50 PM)
Omg, please tell me that isnt real :lol
Azwethinkweiz
Member
(04-11-2006, 09:51 PM)
Azwethinkweiz's Avatar
Maybe it's a situation much like the one on my server. On my server, the alliance (who is the minority) never queue up for battlegrounds and finding them in contested zones is like finding a needle in a haystack. I know that I, for one, would jump at the opportunity to actually RECEIVE honor from those fucktards who refuse to queue up and make me wait an hour just so I can steamroll them in AB.
fly high ~ayunite~
Member
(04-11-2006, 09:51 PM)
fly high ~ayunite~'s Avatar

Originally Posted by Kabuki Waq

why take a game seriously enough to have an INGAME real funeral?

Exactly. WoW scares me abit...
SupaFlySoccerMom
Banned
(04-11-2006, 09:52 PM)

Originally Posted by M3wThr33

Original death announcement:


This was posted publicly on the WoW forums.

hahahahahaha hilarious
krypt0nian
Banned
(04-11-2006, 09:54 PM)
krypt0nian's Avatar
World PVP for the fucking WIN!

Terrible what ahppened to the player of course, but in game its every man for himself.
PjotrStroganov
Member
(04-11-2006, 09:54 PM)
PjotrStroganov's Avatar
I don't know anything about WoW, but couldn't they have done the funeral on a non pvp server?
Ramirez
Member
(04-11-2006, 09:54 PM)
Ramirez's Avatar
How is a death announcement hilarious?
Kabuki Waq
Member
(04-11-2006, 09:55 PM)
Kabuki Waq's Avatar
yea this reminds me of hte time my friend said he couldnt come out cause he had to attend a wedding ..............in FFXI :lol :lol
radioheadrule83
Banned
(04-11-2006, 09:55 PM)
radioheadrule83's Avatar
The choice of music was perfect :lol @ Mozart - Requiem <--> Scatman

WoW looks fucking awesome
Ponn
Member
(04-11-2006, 09:56 PM)
Ponn's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kabuki Waq

why take a game seriously enough to have an INGAME real funeral?

Well, though i'm not an advocate of it, I can see it and won't make fun of the people like most would. You do make friends in these games, and they are real people. Most good guilds become really good friends, just like you get to know people here on GAF even though you might not know 90 percent of the people in RL. You would still feel bad if someone you knew here died though and though this only a message board a "memorial" thread might be made where people could leave there condolences. Now, you wouldn't think that was strange would you? So hence if WoW is the medium where these people became friends and they are all over the world and may not be able to be physically there at his real funeral, they are paying their respects throught the medium they became friends on.
Wollan
The reason why I will never ever be banned.
(04-11-2006, 09:57 PM)
Wollan's Avatar
Hah, my friend was talking about this and it's funny to finally see the video. :lol
Definetly bad internet behaviour though.
Ronok
Member
(04-11-2006, 09:57 PM)
Ronok's Avatar

SHE. It was a female. And she died from a STROKE. I don't think it was an elder person, so I'm assuming the lady was overweight and spent all her time playing it, letting her heart get weaker every day. But that's just my blind assumption.

Maybe she was born with a weak heart....... Maybe you are right...... Still doesn't mean you should fucking laugh......... Oh and I don't care if it was a he or a she it makes no difference, it's still not funny. :-/

No one's laughing over the fact that a person died, but over the lame way of memorializing that person--BY STANDING AROUND AS BLOCKY CARTOON HUMANOIDS IN A VIDEO GAME. Sorry, I don't want this behaviour to be legitimized. If you want to do dumb crap like this, go ahead, but don't expect everyone else to take it seriously.

So what these people she most likely spoke to every day over the internet are meant to do what? It's where they met her, spoke to her, became friends with her...... What's so stupid about her getting a funeral in the game? It's probably isn't possible for them to go to her actual funeral or anything so it's a way for them to pay there respects to someone who had probably become there friend.... What's so retarded? Paying your respects to something has nothing to do with some game developers shitty art..... It's like if someone burst out fucking laughing in a minute silence for someone they didn't even know people would be pissed am I right? When september 11th came around I didn't know a single person in them buildings but I still stayed quiet dispite this fact... Me and the rest of the people I know who knew no one in that building didn't go around saying who gives a shit we didn't know them....... Lets go singing in the streets.

You guys all suck, you'll get fucking teary eyed when some famous person dies and be all like rest in piece and jump on the first person who says a bad word, but, then when a normal gamer died it's like "oh shit lolz owned!"...... You are all fucking stupid.
GhostSeed
(04-11-2006, 09:57 PM)
GhostSeed's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kabuki Waq

yea this reminds me of hte time my friend said he couldnt come out cause he had to attend a wedding ..............in FFXI :lol :lol

:lol Did they have cake?
Kabuki Waq
Member
(04-11-2006, 09:58 PM)
Kabuki Waq's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ramirez

How is a death announcement hilarious?


On Tuesday of February 28th Illidan lost not only a good mage, but a good person. For those who knew her, Fayejin was one of the nicest people you could ever meet. On Tuesday she suffered from a stroke and passed away later that night.

I'm making this post basically to inform everyone that might have knew her. Also tomorrow, at 5:30 server time March, 4th. We will have an in game memorial for her so that her frriends can pay their respects. We will be having it at the Frostfire Hot Springs in Winterspring, because she loved to fish in the game (she liked the sound of the water, it was calming for her ) and she loved snow.
If you would like to come show your respects please do. Thanks everyone.


not really funny but a bit umm wierd and cheesy wouldnt you say?
mashoutposse
Member
(04-11-2006, 10:00 PM)
mashoutposse's Avatar
Shit, that was one of the funniest things I ever saw! I said WoW :lol

Originally Posted by radioheadrule83

WoW looks fucking awesome

Yeah dude, I was surprised how many people were on the screen at once.
Ramirez
Member
(04-11-2006, 10:02 PM)
Ramirez's Avatar
Not really,as Ronok said,this isn't some imaginary person,they knew her for a good amount of time obviously,probably chatted on vent,etc. It's no different than what you do here every day,and as he said,if someone that you liked here died,would posting in a memorial thread be any different?No.
DarienA
The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
(04-11-2006, 10:03 PM)
DarienA's Avatar
Knowing nothing about this MMO's am I understand that this is what I saw? (I turned it off at the 5:21 mark).

Folks were standing in line to step up to the water to pay their respects. In addition someone had logged in as the dead persons character and had it standing near the water.

This other group shows up, kills the dead persons character and then attacks everyone waiting in line.

Is that what happened?
PjotrStroganov
Member
(04-11-2006, 10:03 PM)
PjotrStroganov's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ronok

Maybe she was born with a weak heart....... Maybe you are right...... Still doesn't mean you should fucking laugh......... Oh and I don't care if it was a he or a she it makes no difference, it's still not funny. :-/



So what these people she most likely spoke to every day over the internet are meant to do what? It's where they met her, spoke to her, became friends with her...... What's so stupid about her getting a funeral in the game? It's probably isn't possible for them to go to her actual funeral or anything so it's a way for them to pay there respects to someone who had probably become there friend.... What's so retarded? Paying your respects to something has nothing to do with some game developers shitty art..... It's like if someone burst out fucking laughing in a minute silence for someone they didn't even know people would be pissed am I right? When september 11th came around I didn't know a single person in them buildings but I still stayed quiet dispite this fact... Me and the rest of the people I know who knew no one in that building didn't go around saying who gives a shit we didn't know them....... Lets go singing in the streets.

You guys all suck, you'll get fucking teary eyed when some famous person dies and be all like rest in piece and jump on the first person who says a bad word, but, then when a normal gamer died it's like "oh shit lolz owned!"...... You are all fucking stupid.

Reminds me of a quote from someone reacting to a video of cars crashing:

I think, given that this may as well be fiction to anyone who wasn’t there, that it IS entertaining…in that it has no meaning whatsoever out of context. Sure, tragic things are bad…bla bla…but, the global community means we’re one big, disjoined family…and stuff like this is just so much fodder for our eyes that it CAN’T be taken as anything but just disjoined visuals

qft

Thread Tools