• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona Community Thread |OT7| P5 is nyaow. (Mark all PQ and P4U spoilers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
For what it's worth, I don't think any of the characters are supposed to dance a particular style. Instead, their dances are all influenced by a particular style, and I think that's an important distinction to make. Here's what Wada said about the different dance styles in the Persona Magazine interview:

Is that to say that every character has their own personal flourishes as part of their dance routines?

Wada: Yep, that’s exactly right. So Yosuke, for instance, he takes after male idols with some hip-hop flare to his moves, whereas Chie’s got her usual kung fu mixed with some street dancing sensibilities. And then Yukiko, her movies are derived from ballet while still retaining aspects of her ditziness.

That seems to be in line with what we've seen so far, but we'll only know for sure once the game comes out.

Edit: Actually, I wonder if that's how they'll handle different characters dancing to different songs. There's a general choreography that goes for everyone who dances to a particular song, with certain sections reserved for unique dance moves. I have no idea if that's even remotely viable, but it was a thought I had.

I'm posting a Persona:
tumblr_nlw2dpkaD41tt73w0o1_1280.png

tumblr_nlw2dpkaD41tt73w0o2_1280.png

Lunar15

Did anyone think it was going to be anything other than choreographed j-pop dancing? Everyone has *flourishes* which are just that - tweaks to the general formula that fit their style. The director has always said as much.

God damn people, don't you realize what persona has done to you? You're nitpicking dance moves.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
So I just found out the annoying way that I wasn't prepared for the end boss of PQ.

I was bumping up everyone's death counter with Yukari and Mitsuru casting Samarecarm and then the boss full heals. Fuck that.

I never walk around with consumables other than the infinite use Goho-M and Goba-K so when they both got murdered during a time freeze I was completely screwed.

I killed the Reaper, I thought I was qualified :(

Everyone has *flourishes* which are just that - tweaks to the general formula that fit their style. The director has always said as much.

Totally agree, that's what I was saying.

So I just found out the annoying way that I wasn't prepared for the end boss of PQ.

I was bumping up everyone's death counter with Yukari and Mitsuru casting Samarecarm and then the boss full heals. Fuck that.

I never walk around with consumables other than the infinite use Goho-M and Goba-K so when they both got murdered during a time freeze I was completely screwed.

I killed the Reaper, I thought I was qualified :(

PQ end boss:
I doubt I'll forget the sinking feeling I got when I barely survived the first time freeze attack, only to have him do it again. And again. Coming back and beating him after was so satisfying.

Lunar15

All the things I want this year are dropping like flies. I swear, if P5 doesn't make it over to the US this year, it's gonna be rough.

FluxWaveZ

On the other hand, it's like the most anticipated releases getting out of the way are giving Persona 5 more and more of a chance to shine.

Unfortunately, I still can't be confident about that 2015 localization date.

Sophia

It's like wikipedia, anyone can edit it(and everyone does).

Though I'm starting to think Sophia runs it. :p

Fast Eddie I am not, although I do edit articles from time to time. EDIT: Nor am I drewski or itcdr. :p

If I had my way, Troper's Tales would be back. >_>

On the other hand, it's like the most anticipated releases getting out of the way are giving Persona 5 more and more of a chance to shine.

I believe. I believe in a world where Persona 5 is released August 2015 Japan and October 2015 United States. And we all play it on our PlayStations 4. And stream it to the world. And someone gets MegaTenn'd in the first dungeon and complains about it in a GAF post. You gotta believe in all that, Flux!

Rubedo

I believe. I believe in a world where Persona 5 is released August 2015 Japan and October 2015 United States. And we all play it on our PlayStations 4. And stream it to the world. And someone gets MegaTenn'd in the first dungeon and complains about it in a GAF post.

I legitimately believe that's what will happen. Except maybe the last part. I suspect it will at least start off very easy since P4 Golden was possibly the easiest MegaTen game and they know P5 is going to be bigger than anything they've ever released so they may have toned down the difficulty as not to frustrate new or casual players.

Yeah, pretty much. I appreciate that there probably wasn't a way around it once they set off on making an idol dancing game, but it's still sort of weird to see them doing dances that I don't think any of them except for Rise would actually do.

This is the king of suspension of disbelief that needs to be willed even in the original game. I mean, it's not like Yosuke looks like the type of person who fights shadowy beings with awesome acrobatic ninja-moves.

Sophia

I legitimately believe that's what will happen. Except maybe the last part. I suspect it will at least start off very easy since P4 Golden was possibly the easiest MegaTen game and they know P5 is going to be bigger than anything they've ever released so they may have toned down the difficulty as not to frustrate new or casual players.

Matador will appear as a regular enemy in the first dungeon. Believe!

arue

This is the first thing that came to my mind. I don't have a Wii U, so I coudn't care less for Zelda Wii U.
I believe. I believe in a world where Persona 5 is released August 2015 Japan and October 2015 United States. And we all play it on our PlayStations 4. And stream it to the world. And someone gets MegaTenn'd in the first dungeon and complains about it in a GAF post. You gotta believe in all that, Flux!
I believe in all this, especially the bolded part lol.

Dantis

Did anyone think it was going to be anything other than choreographed j-pop dancing? Everyone has *flourishes* which are just that - tweaks to the general formula that fit their style. The director has always said as much.

I didn't think, I hoped. And I feel like Wada has mentioned everything except J pop.

I just agreed with you at first, but then Parappa totally won me over. I believe.

Haha, never doubt the chances of someone getting MegaTenn'd. Someone, somewhere is going to start it on the hardest difficulty despite never playing a game like this before. And they'll get double critted and KO'd.

Heavenly_Spear

Neo Member

the-x-files-i-want-to-believe-print.jpg

Seriously though,I can def see a Japanese summer release followed by a fall NA release.

Also looking at the character pvs for P4Dan I feel like Yosuke's is the only one that looks....natural? Mostly everyone else's looks awkward to me and I can't figure out why.

Olengie

Fast Eddie I am not, although I do edit articles from time to time. EDIT: Nor am I drewski or itcdr. :p

If I had my way, Troper's Tales would be back. >_>

This is how I see it. Otherwise, there won't be much I'll be looking forward to in 2015.

I love these, not just because they always look amazing, but because of the amount of thought that goes into them.

I'm sure a lot of others would have just gone 'basketballsona' and drawn a round orange blob.

You go that extra step to explain the lore behind it, and I really appreciate that.
Thanks. I dread writing all the lore, but good to know it's worth it.

_Ryo_

I'm reaaally sad. I bought Persona 3 FES today from a retro game store and it doesn't work. When I started it the first time I got to Thursday and the first Velvet Room visit and then it just stopped working. What's really strange is I can't even get that far anymore, the game breaks the first night when you go to the dorm. 14$ wasted. :(

Olengie

I'm reaaally sad. I bought Persona 3 FES today from a retro game store and it doesn't work. When I started it the first time I got to Thursday and the first Velvet Room visit and then it just stopped working. What's really strange is I can't even get that far anymore, the game breaks the first night when you go to the dorm. 14$ wasted. :(

Is your disk scratched?

PK Gaming

Kou was my favorite P4 slink character, so I was really looking forward to this. Gotta say, I really dug this one. The lore was on point, and that Persona design is baller.

Kou’s got a basketball to fight with, because… uh, you know. Balls. He just loves them.

Haha. I think I would have raised an objection if you gave him some other weapon. He's just gotta use a Basketball, you know?

Kou was my favorite P4 slink character, so I was really looking forward to this. Gotta say, I really dug this one. The lore was on point, and that Persona design is baller.
Haha. I think I would have raised an objection if you gave him some other weapon. He's just gotta use a Basketball, you know?
Glad I could live up to expectations in some way. I keep thinking I'm going to run out of good ideas, but I don't.

EDIT: Speaking of Kou, what color is his hair supposed to be?

I always imagined his hair as blue, but when I actually went and used Photoshop to pick the color from his in-game portrait to color him (as is customary) I was kind of shocked to see that it was... purple. I actually had to tint it more blue than it actually was just so it looked right to me.

He's kind of like Margaret in P4, where the character model doesn't match the portrait. But when I think of Kou, I think of his character model's hair (more blue), but when I think of Margaret, I think of her portrait's hair (blonde-ish). I wonder why that is.

Rubedo

Glad I could live up to expectations in some way. I keep thinking I'm going to run out of good ideas, but I don't.

I always imagined his hair as blue, but when I actually went and used Photoshop to pick the color from his in-game portrait to color him (as is customary) I was kind of shocked to see that it was... purple. I actually had to tint it more blue than it actually was just so it looked right to me.

He's kind of like Margaret in P4, where the character model doesn't match the portrait. But when I think of Kou, I think of his character model's hair (more blue), but when I think of Margaret, I think of her portrait's hair (blonde-ish). I wonder why that is.

And then in in the anime, Kou's hair is like gray or really faded black. It's a thing anime has where super dark blue, super dark purple, and black are generally supposed to represent the same color.

Lunar15

I didn't think, I hoped. And I feel like Wada has mentioned everything except J pop.

I dunno, I always kind of assumed that choreographed j-pop dances are just kind of the staple of this genre. It's like asking the Elder Scrolls team if their next Elder Scrolls game is going to be fantasy themed.

PK Gaming

Same thing happened to me when I was checking out his hair color in the P4 design works. It could have sworn it was blue but it had black tint in the design work.

Freaky.

Makio

Beat a couple of golden hands and you got lvl 99 in
Adachi's Dungeon

That game is freakin broken and Naoto and his megido move beats everything.

P4G at Normal is pretty much Easy in the beginning, and Super Easy by mid-game.

Once you stop needing to worry about SP at a macro-level, the game's difficulty is pretty much non-existent.

Apparently people have been killed by the tutorial shadows so really I don't see how you can make it easier without having the game play itself.

Makio

Once you stop needing to worry about SP at a macro-level, the game's difficulty is pretty much non-existent.

P4Golden is almost a visual novel i have to edit the options to take much damage or take little exp

But even that the game is not difficult.

P3P at least can be a little hard but P4G is a joke.

Dantis

I dunno, I always kind of assumed that choreographed j-pop dances are just kind of the staple of this genre. It's like asking the Elder Scrolls team if their next Elder Scrolls game is going to be fantasy themed.
I mean, they definitely are, but they don't have to be. And I really can't be the only one who felt that Wada's phrasing implied there was more to it than that. He specifically calls Yosuke's dancing idol dancing. If he was saying it was all that then that wouldn't be a distinction that needs to be made.

cj_iwakura

P4Golden is almost a visual novel i have to edit the options to take much damage or take little exp

But even that the game is not difficult.

P3P at least can be a little hard but P4G is a joke.

That's what really holds me back from getting the game. I respect that they want to make it more accessible, but then they should make the hardest difficulties downright sadistic to balance it out.

I have played and cleared some evil higher difficulty games, so take my thoughts with a dose of posumudi:

• 'Fog of war' in dungeons, limiting if not outright removing long distance visibility
  • Higher chance of enemy preempt, or they move lightning fast
  • Keys become MUCH more rare, to the point where maybe you can get one gold chest a dungeon visit, if that.
  • Fatigue penalties worsen.
  • Compendium and store costs skyrocket(see: Nocturne Hard Mode), to the point where using it means REALLY weighing the risks and benefits
  • Forcing fusion to be RNG like in P4V
  • A.I. becomes more sadistic; exploits debuffs and buffs, targets weakest party members,etc.

Just to name a few.

Squire

Banned
Project DIVA's sections are more like music videos, most tell a story and the backdrop, the dance, it all relates to the song. While with P4D, from what we've seen, the dance relates to the character and then applied to the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq1l4Ql0weY

are similar at times, but I think it works alot better in DIVA.

Obviously, we've still seen very little of P4D.

I should note, alot of the content in DIVA is based on animations / videos that were already made for the song beforehand

^Best PD song forever.

~Yeeeeeaaaaahhhhhh~

Sophia

I have played and cleared some evil higher difficulty games, so take my thoughts with a dose of posumudi:

• 'Fog of war' in dungeons, limiting if not outright removing long distance visibility
  • Higher chance of enemy preempt, or they move lightning fast
  • Keys become MUCH more rare, to the point where maybe you can get one gold chest a dungeon visit, if that.
  • Fatigue penalties worsen.
  • Compendium and store costs skyrocket(see: Nocturne Hard Mode), to the point where using it means REALLY weighing the risks and benefits
  • A.I. becomes more sadistic; exploits debuffs and buffs, targets weakest party members,etc.

Just to name a few.

Most of these are more tedious than actually difficult tho. That being said, I do wish that AI patterns and boss abilities actually changed on Very Hard.

Nachos

Please tell me you don't mean having randomly-assorted skills per each selection of fusion material.

But I get what you mean. Most of Persona's difficulty options are a joke because they just adjust a bunch of modifiers without caring much for balance.
That's why I actually liked The Answer – it definitely had its share of issues, but it was generally balanced around the one difficulty setting available.

MSMrRound

Looking up at how the
Hollow Forest
dungeon plays out I kinda wish that there were more dungeons like that.

Eww not for me...thank you very much. It was a stupid gimmicky dungeon. Glad to put it behind me. I quite enjoyed Persona Q's dungeons though. It made exploring quite interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom