• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Night Under No Man's Sky — PSX Session (9pst)

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
No it's just baffling that we have had NMS info threads before, and people seem to miss those. Then come any other NMS thread and we get floods of comments questioning the game or calling it a walking simulator. People being unaware of what the game is after all this time isn't even that bad to me. It mainly gets obnoxious when a bunch of people are saying we're being hyped over nothing because "all you do is walk in the game."

it really isn't baffling, I see an "info thread" for a game i don't really know about and i'm not going to bother with them, I see there's new trailers released at a big event of some sort so i check them out, hmmm this No Man's Sky game looks interesting but I really don't see what it's actually about so i'll ask in the trailer thre-

OMG IGNORANT MORON READ INFO THREADS GAWD WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMING TO

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Same here. I can't even imagine what's going on in this guy's mind right now with all the hype. I mean his favorite band is making a fucking album for him now. I bet he didn't even dream of that a year ago. Must be beyond surreal.
When Sean announced that at the Video Game Awards, you could just see the sheer emotions oozing out of him. Dude was getting ready to explode it seems and I was so so damn happy for him and the rest of the team. The passion and energy being poured into this game is genuine and it shows. It's one of the main reasons I choose to support this team with my hard earned cash.

Oh nice, I got quoted in a thread op, cheers !

Indulgent but... today I was wandering across rocks that link two beaches. Crossing over pools of water where small creatures scuttled, amongst ravines and boulders crafted by the sea over millennia, gingerely stepping over algae and strange seaweed formations, the cliffs carved by time towering above me overhead and briefly there was a moment where I could see no other people, just the ocean, my careful footsteps and...no mans sky ;)

legacyzero

Banned
Maybe people would have a better understanding of NMS if kept up with this guy's Youtube channel?

Cobra TV

He is OBSESSED with this game, and scours the internet for information. He's got great stuff, and I think he deserves more attention.

~Kinggi~

Banned
it really isn't baffling, I see an "info thread" for a game i don't really know about and i'm not going to bother with them, I see there's new trailers released at a big event of some sort so i check them out, hmmm this No Man's Sky game looks interesting but I really don't see what it's actually about so i'll ask in the trailer thre-

OMG IGNORANT MORON READ INFO THREADS GAWD WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMING TO

Dont shit up this thread.

I want to repeat this question since this game seems like it will be the best game to play with gaffers and chill out with.

Has it been confirmed that we can interact with other players? Travel together and team up rather than bumping to random ships that I may not know is not an AI? I want to be able to meet up with a friend on a certain planet so we then can just cruise together. Hell I believe the community that plays this game will be relaxed in nature where if you can have voice chat people may just join you for a random adventure for hours.

(Also please open up pre-orders for this game, I want to show you with my wallet that I support this unlike 1886)

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
This is a game for people with imagination and intellectual curiosity, who have looked up at the stars and dreamed of going there. For people who despise modern game design and its rigid sets of rules and tasks, collectables and lowest common denominator themes. Whose ideal for gaming was of exploring unknown worlds, being surprised at each turn by something not seen before, recreating a sense of wonder and escape.

It is developed by a talented group of individuals who read science fiction and dreamt of a virtual recreation that would bring some of the possibilities of the unknown, the tantalising thought of something else, to the medium.

I am sure the myriad of meaningless tasks you complete in various existing games will give you the validation you need.... Personally I will dream a little richer thanks to no mans sky.

Seriously, this is why people end up so disappointed all the goddamned time.

If this is your expectation, then you are going to be disappointed almost all the time.

I hope this turns out great, but I think part of the hype backlash is mainly just skeptical people who love the idea, but just don't think it's going to be pulled off.

noah111

Still Alive
I want to repeat this question since this game seems like it will be the best game to play with gaffers and chill out with.

Has it been confirmed that we can interact with other players? Travel together and team up rather than bumping to random ships that I may not know is not an AI? I want to be able to meet up with a friend on a certain planet so we then can just cruise together. Hell I believe the community that plays this game will be relaxed in nature where if you can have voice chat people may just join you for a random adventure for hours.
I don't think so, no. They said you could technically pass a player and never know it was a real person. But that doesn't make much sense to me. Also the likelyhood of bumping into a player in this vast galaxy is minuscule. However, I wish they would make that a goal; being able to request the location of a friend and accept the challenge for you two to get to one another through travel (somewhat like traveling to the center of the galaxy, except traveling to a friend). Exploration would be so much funner with a friend.

Dont shit up this thread.
Forreal.

Brine

I don't think so, no. They said you could technically pass a player and never know it was a real person. But that doesn't make much sense to me. Also the likelyhood of bumping into a player in this vast galaxy is minuscule. However, I wish they would make that a goal; being able to request the location of a friend and accept the challenge for you two to get to one another through travel (somewhat like traveling to the center of the galaxy, except traveling to a friend). Exploration would be so much funner with a friend.

Forreal.
I'm not 100% sure, but I think in the Game Informer article they said that your friends would be shown on the map, or something like that.

greatgeek

Banned
When Sean announced that at the Video Game Awards, you could just see the sheer emotions oozing out of him. Dude was getting ready to explode it seems and I was so so damn happy for him and the rest of the team. The passion and energy being poured into this game is genuine and it shows. It's one of the main reasons I choose to support this team with my hard earned cash.
Yep. It's hard for me to believe that he's guilty of Molyneux-esque overpromising (aka bs).

Limiting Factor

Neo Member
It's ambiguous, but yeah you are right (iirc they said something about being surprised at what you look like—even though you're in a suit). Just watched this video which covers the info.

Interesting.

From that video it seems like they have a grand vision for a 'shared world' single player game. It's very ambitious and I hope they can come through.

Anyone sort out how to watch this Twitch stream via the PS4's web browser? I've only got the one tab open and keep getting the "not enough system memory" error as soon as the stream starts up.

Good! So the Full hour goes to Sean and the game hopefully. Hopefully we get close to the amount of gameplay as the current game on the stream is getting right now :p

Do we know what to be expecting out of this session? I know Sean Murray was hyping up some interesting surprises when he was interviewed by Ryan Clements earlier in the day but I wasn't sure if there had been any further indication.

Pop

lol I'm still wondering this, too. So far it sounds like you're mostly trying to get to the center of the galaxy/solar system/whatever. But why?

Do you want to know everything about the game before it ships. Use some imagination people

ultrazilla

Guess some of us who "got" that the game was about exploring instead of
shooting things in the face are in the minority.

It's entirely refreshing that the game isn't centered around mass slaughter but
the sense of wonder, secrets and awe from exploring the massive universe.

I hope Hello can pull it off!

GhaleonEB

lol I'm still wondering this, too. So far it sounds like you're mostly trying to get to the center of the galaxy/solar system/whatever. But why?

Of all the things they will tells us about the game, this is the one they are least likely to answer, and the one I hope they never address. The game is about exploration and discovery. Don't tell us what we're going to find!

To figure out what's there. Planets and animals get more dangerous/mutated closer to the center, but also you start finding better ships and more valuable resources.

Mr Git

I'm not sure why people think there must be extra incentives to play the game. It's space and planetary exploration and it looks fucking glorious. What other incentive is needed?

Guess some of us who "got" that the game was about exploring instead of
shooting things in the face are in the minority.

It's entirely refreshing that the game isn't centered around mass slaughter but
the sense of wonder, secrets and awe from exploring the massive universe.

I hope Hello can pull it off!

Yes! I agree, hopefully Hello can pull it off and it might actually cause devs and publishers to view games differently and change the paradigm - no more about straight-up violence.

Virgman

Neo Member
I hope they answer a lot of questions people have regarding gameplay with this playthrough. I can see why people are doubtful due to the lack of information, but at the same time, I can see why Hello Games wants to keep information limited so people have a chance to experience it first hand. A counter to the constant Far Cy 4 trailers we've seen before its release, which is becoming a trend among AAA title. At any rate, I truly admire the ambition and passion this small indie studio has put forth so far.

***I'm glad I bought Joe Danger, although I've never played it, simply because it put money towards this.

Of all the things they will tells us about the game, this is the one they are least likely to answer, and the one I hope they never address. The game is about exploration and discovery. Don't tell us what we're going to find!

Dorito Pope will be the center of the galaxy.

noah111

Still Alive
Really curious what it could be, other than something predictable like an entirely new galaxy (can't believe I just wrote predictable in that context).

Game4life

Banned
Hopefully they show a different trailer this time. I would love it if they show a trailer of someone walking in a colored planet with 65 days of static in the background and then fly of into space to another planet.

what if its that Obelisk thing on the logo :p

Top Bottom