• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet and Clank PS4 is a complete reimagining, coming 2015, not Q1.

i just hope they improve the actual platforming segments and mechanics. I felt it was always the worst out of Sly and Jak when it came to platforming

What does "re-imagining" mean? HD remaster?

It's definitely not a remaster. Remasters just take existing games and run them at a higher resolution, framerate etc. Re-imaginings are completely new games. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories was a re-imagining of the original Silent Hill.

I dont have the feeling that R&C is selling that good?

there were like five games on the Ps3! And you think a J and D game would sell really well now after not having any showings all of last gen? Naughty Dog is busy making other games and have stated that they tried but didn't think it would do the series justice. People are giving you plenty reasons. let it go. If it comes in the future great. If not move on. I personally loved all the future series on Ps3 so can wait for another R and C game on Ps4.

injurai

Banned
There's like three games and three spin offs compared to Ratchet's...20.

Even if Ratchet were better
it isn't
, Jak really hasn't had much of a chance to be better.

Ratchet as been better since both series were in their second entry. Jak could still go places, but saying it didn't get it's chance... please.

GameSeeker

Hopefully Insomniac takes their time and makes a great game and doesn't rush it out to coincide with some movie driven date.

A great R&C game, given the existing fan base, will in high probability sell more than Sunset Overdrive did and make for a good 2015 for Insomniac.

I guess I've missed half of the R&C games

I mean, there have been a lot. More than any other Sony franchise:

Ratchet and Clank
Going Commando
Up Your Arsenal
Deadlocked
Size Matters
Secret Agent Clank
Tools of Destruction
Quest for Booty
Crack in Time
Into the Nexus
All 4 One
Full Frontal Assault
And now this reimagining makes 13, not counting mobile games. I think only Hot Shots Golf comes close, with 10. Ratchet and Clank keeps getting made almost yearly because the franchise is well-received, appeals to a wide audience, has a large dedicated fan base that buys pretty much every game, are relatively cheap to make, and Insomniac loves making them. I think people underestimate how valuable this franchise is. To me, at least, it's PlayStation's defining series.

Pixar graphics or bust.

I don't think you've got to worry about that. Insomniac will deliver, I have no doubt.

injurai

Banned
I mean, there have been a lot. More than any other Sony franchise:

Ratchet and Clank
Going Commando
Up Your Arsenal
Deadlocked
Size Matters
Secret Agent Clank
Tools of Destruction
Quest for Booty
Crack in Time
Into the Nexus
All 4 One
Full Frontal Assault
And now this reimagining makes 13, not counting mobile games. I think only Hot Shots Golf comes close, with 10. Ratchet and Clank keeps getting made almost yearly because the franchise is well-received, appeals to a wide audience, has a large dedicated fan base that buys pretty much every game, are relatively cheap to make, and Insomniac loves making them.

But the main series really isn't an annual franchise. Those entries are much more spaced out and labored over.

Ratchet as been better since both series were in their second entry. Jak could still go places, but saying it didn't get it's chance... please.

i wouldn't say any ratchet game is better than the JAk games. The level design and platforming are just way better in the Jak games

But the main series really isn't an annual franchise. Those entries are much more spaced out and labored over.

Ratchet and Clank: 2002
Going Commando: 2003
Up Your Arsenal: 2004
Deadlocked: 2005
Tools of Destruction and Size Matters: 2007
Quest for Booty: 2008
Crack in Time: 2009
Into the Nexus: 2013
Reboot thing: 2015

It was pretty damn close there for a long time, and I think they're gonna get back in the swing of it with the new one.

spliced

I don't exactly know what a re-imagined game is, I'm guessing it's basically a new game based around the same basic plot. At least that's what I'm hoping for, the less recycled stuff the better.

labaronx

Regardless of what day it comes out....

If the film is well received by the public... I think it will by kids and adults.... the game could prove to be a mild system seller

Loudninja

I don't exactly know what a re-imagined game is, I'm guessing it's basically a new game based around the same basic plot. At least that's what I'm hoping for, the less recycled stuff the better.
It will be base on the plot of the movie.

So it’s with great pride I get to announce that Insomniac will continue our involvement with the Ratchet & Clank movie while developing a game that re-imagines the original Ratchet & Clank for PS4. As was mentioned during Sony’s press conference , the game will share the film’s vision of Ratchet’s origin story, and features updated gameplay along with completely new visuals that rival the best PS4 games on the market.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/06/09/ratchet-clank-announced-for-ps4/

This is the only franchise that would get me to look at a PS4, not buy one mind you, but at least put the system on the edge of my radar. Oh how far you have fallen from the PS2 days, Sony.

onQ123

What does re-imaging means? Weird... I would expect them to say all-new or just new...

Remaking the game with the assets from the movie & maybe telling the story a little differently.

(it's the game to the movie that's a movie of a game lol)

I take a re-imagining to mean its a new game with new content but just set as if its the first ratchet and clank - ie a first game that introduces the characters and the world to new players

so if environments are "the same" they would be the same location, but look completely different as build from the ground up for PS4 quality environments.

After sunset overdrive I am there day one

This is the only franchise that would get me to look at a PS4, not buy one mind you, but at least put the system on the edge of my radar. Oh how far you have fallen from the PS2 days, Sony.

If this is the only franchise that would get you interested, then what was so great about PS2 days? There are no other PS2 franchises that could compel you to consider a PS4? What was Sony doing better back then?

Elandyll

Banned
Megaton in a casual tweet.

wow.

edit: Also, I wonder if it could mean that an R&C HD remake (of some PS3 titles) would indeed be in the works but -not- by Insomniac.

God damn the delays.....although first half is stacked for PS4.

Still really excited to see this. Ratchet and Clank games are sooooo fun. Beautiful graphics/art style, great gameplay, charming story and characters, what more could you ask from a game :)

I would really love it if MP came back though.

bumpkin

So it’s with great pride I get to announce that Insomniac will continue our involvement with the Ratchet & Clank movie while developing a game that re-imagines the original Ratchet & Clank for PS4. As was mentioned during Sony’s press conference , the game will share the film’s vision of Ratchet’s origin story, and features updated gameplay along with completely new visuals that rival the best PS4 games on the market.
Uncharted 4 says hi. ;)

VLiberty

I was exaggerating

And twenty isn't super far off
20 is pretty far from 11. Of which, just six were mainline.(incl. Nexus)

It's still a high number, no doubt, but it's in line with Jak's releases ratio. It's just that one series was abandoned by the devs at a certain point and the. other not.

injurai

Banned
I just hope the series keeps it's style of humor. Because in those teasers for the movie Ratchet seems so neutered in his personality.

Hugstable

Banned
I never understood why Sony keeps pushing Ratchet and Clank instead of making a new Jak and Dexter! Makes no sense at all.

Ehh I like Ratchet and Clank better, only good Jak game to me was Jak and Daxter 1, the rest just didn't feel good. Ratchet and Clank though has usually been consistently great through the PS2 era as well as PS3 (even though they had some lame spin-off games that weren't all that great).

RCSI

Good catch.

jsteveson we have you now on the clock. Anything else will mean a delay.
or a betrayalton :p

That's right, a Q2 release date still falls within the first half of 2015. No betrayalton there!

In all honesty, I expect the game around September or October with the movie in the tailing end of Summer.

Blader

Huge fan of the series, but instant no sale for me if this is another 30fps game. The framerate difference on Into the Nexus was very noticeable and jarring compared to literally every other game before it. Would be a real shame if they were permanently downgrading this series from 60fps.

Top Bottom