• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Cybercherries New Retro Arcade: UE4 Oculus virtual arcade demo

GamerJM

Banned
http://digitalcybercherries.com/
Within this Arcade you can experience, play, and enjoy your own personal little slice of 80's retro life.

The Arcade is built using Unreal Engine 4 as a learning experience for this powerful game engine.

Although it is built for VR, non-VR enthusiasts may also play this demo as a way of seeing what we can achieve in a short amount of time on UE4.

NewRetroArcade also works as a MAME, SNES, NES, and Gameboy emulation front-end.

NewRetroArcadeV2_1.jpg

NewRetroArcadeV2_3.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d76-xknksv4

I think it looks like a pretty neat demo.

DieH@rd

Banned
That's really neat, they need to tone down the chromatic aberration though.

When these images are viewed inside DK2, all colors look natural. Chromatic aberration of the lenses is eliminated with the negative colors that are rendered by the engines.

Ziffles

This is cool as hell, the only problem I could see would be refresh rates of the games not matching that of the Rift.

Keasar

I hadn't seen this before. Absolutely love it. Would be great if it had multiplayer to share the room with others.

Just so fucking awesome, been waiting decades for this kind of thing, and here it is. It needs some optional NPCs though. Bunch of greasy nerds gathered around that SF2 machine.

I just got to try this today, absolutely astonishing. This has to be one of the most convincing Oculus experiences I've had so far.

For example, I noticed that when you're playing a Gameboy, you actually have to hold it at an angle to the light so you can see the screen properly just like a real Gameboy.

low-G

Oh fuck. Imagine:

Other player characters whose emulation feeds (video) are STREAMED TO YOU SO YOU CAN WATCH THEM PLAY VIRTUALLY. You wouldn't even have to have their roms.

Also, imagine computers good enough to enable this virtual environment PLUS dozens of emulators running in real time with attract screens such.

These things would be very cool (but maybe quite a few years off)

I just really can't stress enough how much you actually FEEL like you're playing an actual arcade cabinet, or SNES (projected on the wall), or a Gameboy. It's insane. And somehow it's so convincing that I almost forget that I have this thing strapped onto my head and I feel like I can play PacMan for an hour straight.

Coreda

What would be a useful feature is if the audio of the game you're in front of would become the focus and 'zone out'/muffle the surrounding sounds. Like the concept but couldn't imagine playing a game with so many competing sounds.

Tain

This really is an incredible demo. I think dark10x said it at some point, but the focus on objects that are near to your face (where the Rift is most convincing) combined with wonderful material work combined with impressive tech make for a super immersive experience.

If only the games emulated at the right speed!

baphomet

What would be a useful feature is if the audio of the game you're in front of would become the focus and 'zone out'/muffle the surrounding sounds. Like the concept but couldn't imagine playing a game with so many competing sounds.

Have you ever been in am arcade before?

This really is an incredible demo. I think dark10x said it at some point, but the focus on objects that are near to your face (where the Rift is most convincing) combined with wonderful material work combined with impressive tech make for a super immersive experience.

The few games I tried actually seemed to be running properly to my eye. Maybe I just didn't notice the problem, or maybe they've optimized something?

Coreda

Have you ever been in am arcade before?

Sure they're loud and noisy, but some audio focus option would be a worthwhile feature for a front-end.

In parts of the video the audio from some machines a distance of several feet apart is the exact same volume in the audio channel. Another example is when playing Zelda the Super Mario Bros music continues to play in the right channel when the machine is to the left of the player. Could use some refinements in positioning there.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

Indeed!

The issue with the emulation is that you have a frame-rate mismatch. All of the games in there are basically designed for 60hz while DK2 runs at 75hz. The speed isn't too far off but there is added judder. Still immersive as hell.

Haunted

I've been walking around all day, telling people [of a certain age bracket] about this thing. It's a small, super impressive demo anyone with a PC can and should download.

I know it's tongue in cheek, but this is by far my favourite emulator frontend :lol I think I'll play a bit of A Link to the Past later.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I've been walking around all day, telling people [of a certain age bracket] about this thing. It's a small, super impressive demo anyone with a PC can and should download.

I know it's tongue in cheek, but this is by far my favourite emulator frontend :lol I think I'll play a bit of A Link to the Past later.
It's still my favorite VR experience, if I'm honest.

Niiiiice...... this project will get updated for HTC Vive and will include multiplayer, motion-controls, and room-scale capability. Also the developer teases an air hockey table as a new physical game which could be played by multiple players simultaneously, perhaps with others to come.
newretroarcade-neon-htc-vive-steamvr-multiplayer

giphy.gif

This is going to be the tipping point for me to upgrade my PC and bite the bullet on VR!
Just looks perfect!

Top Bottom