• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: The greatest single player FPS of the last several years: Wolfenstein: TNO

bsod

Banned
Picked it up on a few weeks ago and slowly going through it. Great game. Looking around for the secrets kinda spoils the pacing for me, though. You're in a big battle, Ferguson is all like "Come here and cover me!" meanwhile I'm running around looking for gold dishes which do fuck all. I think I'm going to stop looking around so hard for that stuff and just enjoy the ride. I've missed so many of them at this point there's no point in even trying to solve the enigma puzzles (not planning a second playthrough).

Extraordinarily good game. Gunplay was solid (though the Laserkraftworken got a little OP towards the end, lol), and the story was phenomenal.

My one quibble, aside from the above mentioned Lasergun domination, is having to hit the button to pick up ammo. Really, guys?

I'm in the middle of it and far cry 4 and both are pretty incredible. Up to mission 8 in Wolfenstein and I probably prefer Far Cry 4 because of its crazy open world, but if Wolfenstein gets better, I could definitely see it being best shooter of the year. The stealth is a little dissapoint compared to the far cry series though...

Picked it up on a few weeks ago and slowly going through it. Great game. Looking around for the secrets kinda spoils the pacing for me, though. You're in a big battle, Ferguson is all like "Come here and cover me!" meanwhile I'm running around looking for gold dishes which do fuck all. I think I'm going to stop looking around so hard for that stuff and just enjoy the ride. I've missed so many of them at this point there's no point in even trying to solve the enigma puzzles (not planning a second playthrough).
Yeah right. Fuck that shit. I feel like such a dumbass running around searching for stuff. And indeed, for what?
The game is too long to platinum for me anyway, so just enjoy the ride.

Abylim

Really great game until the end.

End area/boss spoilers
Maybe I'm slow, or missed something, but shooting the blimps down seemed obscure, and the end boss fight was brutal. Enemies turned into bullet sponges, too, which was disappointing.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
yup best FPS of the year. MachineGames is the new king of FPS.

Why does it seem like noone talks about this game? I'm interested in it, but I never see it brought up on GAF.

Because Shadow Warrior (2013) is bad game. a massive disappointment compared to the original and a boring unbalanced mess that bored me out of my skull. The Awful level design, the repetitive and few enemies to fight, the useless and awful weapons to use that with the horrible sword control.

The only good thing about the new Shadow Warrior was the story.

I had the same problem with Bioshock Infinite. The game is simultaneously asking you to loot every body, trash can, coin on the ground and it is simultaneously shouting at you to keep moving forward. If your game is going to have that much looting it needs to move at a fallout 3 snails pace.

Grisby

It was a great game. Can't sing it's praises enough.

Can't believe it had some of the best characters and writing this year too.

Sotha_Sil

wolfenstein_gibs_by_digi_matrix-d77vvdm.gif

People like to shit on the Id Tech 5 engine, but how many games on PS4/X1 are doing things like this at a locked 60fps?

This is on sale on Amazon for $15 until the 20th... I'm super tempted to jump on it but I just know it'll languish on my shelf while I take care of my backlog, which I'll have more time for now that I think I may have cracked the Destiny addiction (that last update re: exotics killed it for me)... grrrr...

Do you think it'll get that low as a retail PS4 game again in the next 6mo? I'll probably be ready to play it by then.

Every month that passes since it released I appreciate it more. Love the characters, love how BJ is written, love the pacing, love the gunplay and most of the shootouts, love the world, etc. They managed to pick up right where Starbreeze left off after The Darkness, and polish it to what's their best playing, most well balanced, longest campaign. Reminds me of how I felt about Max Payne 2.

wbEMX

I wanna play this so bad. Uncut. I live in Germany, so that's a pain in the ass. I have two options: A) I manage to get a US import of the PS4 version (Sucks, 'cause I don't own a PS4 yet) or B) I play it on PC with VPN being constantly activated.
As for why... I think it has something to do with the atmosphere. I wanna kill Nazis in Wolfenstein, not members of "The Regime", as they call it. It kind of ruins the Wolfenstein vibe for me.
But yeah, apart from that, I will definitely play this. Judging from the videos and streams I have seen this game is so kick-ass.

thenexus6

So I completed the game on the PS4 when it first came out, loved it. I am at my Uncles this weekend and the only Xbox One here is Wolfenstein so I figured i'd play a mission or two to kill time.

Its been very interesting; had weird sounds issues - like audio from people talking or music it was as I was underwater and the general gameplay just felt clunky to me. Anyone else find this at all? The PS4 version was faultless for me.

Edwardo

I'm glad to hear good things about it. I got it for free when I bought my Xbox One back in September. I installed it, but haven't actually played it. Maybe i'll make some time now.

Danneee

It's very good but that's it. It's not great at anything imo and even if it is the best fps in years that says more about what has been released.
That said I'm probably buying it to play through on my PS4 even though I already finished it on pc.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Platinumed on PS4 and did enjoy it, though if this released in the previous gen, it would have merely been touted as a solid B-tier shooter with strong mechanics and a somewhat engrossing set of characters and setpieces, but no classic.

Given the somewhat dire landscape of AAA releases in the current gen, it certainly helps build a unique case for this game being put on a special outlier pedestal, but that is more a condemnation of the competition than on the merits of this game. Then again I found some of the clunkier aspects pulled me out far more than many on this forum, and many did fall hard for this gem, understandably so.

Moff

I agree, it's the best shooter since crysis 1. maybe even HL2.
finished it three times in a row. one of the very, very few games where I actually got all achievements.

but those damn texture pop ins sure suck.

Thank you for pointing out that this game is one that allows you to actually run and gun by making your guns accurate to the crosshair, rather than having to ADS every 3 seconds to hit anything. It is such an overlooked fact of the game that makes it MUCH more fun. I wish more shooters did that as I really dislike ADS gameplay and how stiff and slow it makes modern shooters, it's a real plus when something like Wolfenstein or Bioshock Infinite comes out that allows you to run full speed while circlestrafing guys and still be accurate as hell (provided you can actually aim).

I can't even remember enjoying an FPS after The Darkness released in 2007.

This was such a treat. An alright story, awesome atmosphere, incredible feeling to the guns and shooting and the pacing was beyond perfect. This game rarely dragged on, if you were not straight up sucking shit in it. Playing it on PC was great but I can't imagine it feeling half as good on consoles.

The only downside to the game is that dumb idtech 5 engine. Which is great because I've got The Evil Within lined up here.

Just beat the game. I've got to say it was a pretty great ride. I haven't beaten that many games in the last few months but this kind of demanded it.

Some stray observations.

The game was a good length and can't reasonably complain about it in that department. However, I felt the ending was not particularly satisfying as is the case with most games these days. No finality whatsoever. Well...
apart from the implied B.J. death.

The atmosphere and tone of this game were perfect. I'm grateful someone was able to turn the Wolfenstein ship away from the paranormal stuff it seems to have been mired in for the last 14 years. I enjoyed Deathshead and Frau Engel immensely as deliciously hateful villains. As someone who complains about the overuse of cut-scenes in games I found myself wishing we had more involving these two characters in particular.

The game was about as tropey as could be so far as your allies were concerned but still likeable down to the last. Gentle hulking mentally handicapped guy, foul mouthed Briton who calls you a cunt, guy who thinks you're an asshole until towards the end when he warms up to you. I wasn't as shocked by the audio diaries as some of you guys were I guess, I saw what was coming. In the end I just sort of felt like there wasn't enough. This was one of the few video games I could have stood for some more dialog/cutscenes. The game warrants them and quite frankly, has a disjointed feel due the lack of time spent explaining how we got from point a to point b. I guess there will be a sequel. There's always a sequel. I'm looking forward to it but I do wish we got more out of the game w/ regards to story on this go around. This really just feels like Episode 1 in a serial production.

Biggest surprise: B.J.'s personality. The character is portrayed as unflinchingly zealous and brutal in his drive to rid the world of Nazis. He will stab, explode, and shoot them into bloody stumps yet they go out of their way to show a tranquil side to the character. It's odd but they do a really good job of showing that B.J.s natural state is that of a peaceful, loving family man. If the world didn't need him he'd be a loving husband, friend, and father. For a silly game about robot Nazis I found it kind of tragic.

chaosaeon

I was actually going to pick this up when amazon had that sale for $15, but I clicked it and for whatever reason they hiked it back to around $37-40 on the first day of what was supposed to be a week long sale.

Marjar

Banned
Ugh, I feel like there's something wrong with me every time I see all the praise for this game.

The game seemed alright at first, but after a while it just turned into a boring grind for me, to the point where I couldn't manage to finish it. Level design was really nothing to write home about, it was pretty damn linear for something people claimed was emulating "oldschool" shooters. The heavier enemies felt like massive bullet sponges that were just tests of patience more than anything. Having to press the E key to pick up ammo/armor is a fucking awful design decision. And the sound mixing was awful to the point where it just straight up ruined certain scenes. This game made me realize how important sound can really be.

I might give it another shot, but I just don't get it. It especially annoys me because I was pretty excited for this game back when it was announced since they seemed to be saying all the right things. Seeing the comparisons to Half-Life 2 makes me cringe a bit considering that's my favorite game of all time.

Sorry for being a party pooper, but Christ I really needed to quickly rant about this game.

JoeFenix

I'm liking the game but these 2 stealth chapters where you only have a knife were questionable at best.

Conga line slow walking Nazis with sticks that you can just plow through on Uber difficulty by mashing the melee button is not good design.

Game is inconsistent in terms of quality but when it's good it's very good. Still pretty early I would imagine so hopefully this is just a bad section of the game and it picks up afterwards.

Ugh, I feel like there's something wrong with me every time I see all the praise for this game.

The game seemed alright at first, but after a while it just turned into a boring grind for me, to the point where I couldn't manage to finish it. Level design was really nothing to write home about, it was pretty damn linear for something people claimed was emulating "oldschool" shooters. The heavier enemies felt like massive bullet sponges that were just tests of patience more than anything. Having to press the E key to pick up ammo/armor is a fucking awful design decision. And the sound mixing was awful to the point where it just straight up ruined certain scenes. This game made me realize how important sound can really be.

I might give it another shot, but I just don't get it. It especially annoys me because I was pretty excited for this game back when it was announced since they seemed to be saying all the right things. Seeing the comparisons to Half-Life 2 makes me cringe a bit considering that's my favorite game of all time.

Sorry for being a party pooper, but Christ I really needed to quickly rant about this game.

Pressing E didn't bother me that much although I can see how to some it might. Large enemies being bullet sponges I agree with except that they aren't if you chose the right weapon or tactic. I played the game on I'm Death Incarnate and found I could kill even the largest enemies with relative ease with a few shots of the Laserkraftwerk. Especially once it was all decked out with upgrades. If you can get your hands on a chaingun you can take out supersoldaten pretty quickly by just blasting them in the face until you empty the clip. Some of the large enemies earlier in the game can also be taken out with a couple shots to the back.

I'm liking the game but these 2 stealth chapters where you only have a knife were questionable at best.

Conga line slow walking Nazis with sticks that you can just plow through on Uber difficulty by mashing the melee button is not good design.

Game is inconsistent in terms of quality but when it's good it's very good. Still pretty early I would imagine so hopefully this is just a bad section of the game and it picks up afterwards.

Stealth kills are satisfying but the AI in the game is atrocious. You can shoot a guy in the head in front of another guy and he won't sound the alarm. I don't think I had a single commander sound an alarm on my whole playthrough. Way too easy to kill everything in the room when the game allows you to stealth it.

Gurish

I'm about to start it soon, what difficulty is recommended? I don't want it to be too hard as FPS is a genre i like but I'm not a die-hard fan of, is normal default difficulty is good enough in providing a nice challenge?

DieH@rd

Banned
Just beat the game. I've got to say it was a pretty great ride. I haven't beaten that many games in the last few months but this kind of demanded it.

Some stray observations.

The game was a good length and can't reasonably complain about it in that department. However, I felt the ending was not particularly satisfying as is the case with most games these days. No finality whatsoever. Well...
apart from the implied B.J. death.

The atmosphere and tone of this game were perfect. I'm grateful someone was able to turn the Wolfenstein ship away from the paranormal stuff it seems to have been mired in for the last 14 years. I enjoyed Deathshead and Frau Engel immensely as deliciously hateful villains. As someone who complains about the overuse of cut-scenes in games I found myself wishing we had more involving these two characters in particular.

The game was about as tropey as could be so far as your allies were concerned but still likeable down to the last. Gentle hulking mentally handicapped guy, foul mouthed Briton who calls you a cunt, guy who thinks you're an asshole until towards the end when he warms up to you. I wasn't as shocked by the audio diaries as some of you guys were I guess, I saw what was coming. In the end I just sort of felt like there wasn't enough. This was one of the few video games I could have stood for some more dialog/cutscenes. The game warrants them and quite frankly, has a disjointed feel due the lack of time spent explaining how we got from point a to point b. I guess there will be a sequel. There's always a sequel. I'm looking forward to it but I do wish we got more out of the game w/ regards to story on this go around. This really just feels like Episode 1 in a serial production.

Biggest surprise: B.J.'s personality. The character is portrayed as unflinchingly zealous and brutal in his drive to rid the world of Nazis. He will stab, explode, and shoot them into bloody stumps yet they go out of their way to show a tranquil side to the character. It's odd but they do a really good job of showing that B.J.s natural state is that of a peaceful, loving family man. If the world didn't need him he'd be a loving husband, friend, and father. For a silly game about robot Nazis I found it kind of tragic.

"In my dream I smell a barbecue. I hear children. A dog. And I see someone, I think I see someone.

These things... None of it for me.
"

Amir0x

Banned
Alright alright I'm getting this game. It's $29.99 on Steam now

I just avoid Wolfenstein games without multiplayer usually since they are painful reminders of Return to Castle Wolfenstein's brilliance and of how achingly awful it is the competitive FPS genre has been ruined by modern shooters.

But everyone says this game is rad so I'm giving it a chance.

DieH@rd

Banned

I just avoid Wolfenstein games without multiplayer usually since they are painful reminders of Return to Castle Wolfenstein's brilliance and of how achingly awful it is the competitive FPS genre has been ruined by modern shooters.

:D

Standard warning, even though I think that opening chapter is more than fine for what it tries to depict, many believe it is inferior to the rest of the game. Just keep on playing, game starts to show its best when you arrive in 60s.

And stick to as high difficulty settings as you can.

Dalex

Waiting for it to go on daily sale

I loved the game. Great gameplay, great weapons, good pacing and a pretty good story. It combines so many well done aspects into the one package.

I will probably do a third run through to try and get the rest of the collectibles.

Kolgar

I'm with you. First game (well, after Killzone Shadowfall) I've traded back in a long while. The poor pacing and broken stealth just overwhelmed any sense of fun. I still have my save on PS4 so might try it again if it goes ridiculously cheap, but man, was I disappointed.

ironcreed

Banned
Played it and felt it was pretty average. The gameplay is good, I just found myself not caring about the rest and forgot about it as soon as it was over.

Gandalf

I agree OP. One of the best FPS I've played in a long, long time.

It also has one of the best lines I've ever heard in a videogame;

"Don't fuck this up you magnificent cunt"

1981 Castle Wolfenstein
1984 Beyond Castle Wolfenstein
1992 Wolfenstein 3d/Spear of Destiny
2001 Return to Castle Wolfenstein
2003 Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory
2009 Wolfenstein
2014 Wolfenstein: The New Order

I feel like people are always shocked when a Wolfenstein game is good, like it is a series that has been run into the ground like Tony Hawk or something. 7 games in 33 years, none of them bad, a few outright classics. Wolfenstein deserves more respect.

1981 Castle Wolfenstein
1984 Beyond Castle Wolfenstein
1992 Wolfenstein 3d/Spear of Destiny
2001 Return to Castle Wolfenstein
2003 Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory
2009 Wolfenstein
2014 Wolfenstein: The New Order

I feel like people are always shocked when a Wolfenstein game is good, like it is a series that has been run into the ground like Tony Hawk or something. 7 games in 33 years, none of them bad, a few outright classics. Wolfenstein deserves more respect.

Seriously. Especially with how two of them are two of the best multiplayer shooters of all time.

It would have been incredible it wasnt for the awful pacing. This game shines when you are shooting shit.

People. Stop making terrible statements like this. Pacing does not mean constant action.

I agree. There have been relatively few installments in the series, especially considering how long it's been around, and all of them are really good, if not great, games. This isn't a situation where we get yearly, frequently mediocre installments like Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed.

People. Stop making terrible statements like this. Pacing does not mean constant action.

I agree. There have been relatively few installments in the series, especially considering how long it's been around, and all of them are really good, if not great, games. This isn't a situation where we get yearly, frequently mediocre installments like Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed.

Maybe I'm just being an old man. When Wolfenstein 3D came out I honestly couldn't believe I could just play a game that looked and played like that on my pc. I could have told you at 11 years old that arcades would die just because Wolfenstein was in my living room. Ever since then it shows up every leap year or so to give me a bunch of over the top guns to derail the Nazis. It has never disappointed me. Even a lowpoint like Raven's Wolfenstein was one of the most straight up fun single player fps games I played that year. Even the iphone rpg game is supposed to be decent.

Yeah, I often see people point to Raven's Wolfentstein as a disappointment, but I don't agree with that. It's an incredibly fun FPS with some really satisfying weapons - a kind of retro throwback with some more modern trappings, like the ability to aim down sights.

Also, thanks for reminding me of the existence of the Wolfenstein RPG. I had that on my phone back when it came out - must've been like 2007 or something? It was pretty fun from what I remember, especially compared to most games that you could get for your phone.

It's like $16 on GMG if you use the 20% code.

MauroNL

I enjoyed it for the time I played it. Started the game on hard though, which was a lot harder then the usual hard difficulty. Ruined my first playthrough because I died that much. Boss battle was awesome though, finally a great big bang ending for an FPS.

Top Bottom