• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most brutal execution in the original Manhunt?

Brian Cox is the Rector (a mostly ceremonial senate position) at my university. I've met him a couple of times, and I've been tempted each time to say "I loved you in Manhunt".

RP912

Banned
The plastic bag execution. Something about being unable to breath while somebody punches you in the nose is uneasy on me, compared to the other executions which were quick and brutal :(.

The cheese-wire beheading. Don't even have to watch the video.

I remember that shit making me cringe when I played it as a youth.

SJRB

Gold Member
Machette is my "favourite" too, mostly because of the insane audio.

Manhunt has some amazing voicework and effects, the gurgling and death moans are just on a whole different level.

Edit: hammer is favourite too because of how ruthlessly efficient it is.

Do you think that if R* made a 3rd Manhunt with today's graphics, it could get away with an M rating with the brutal gore in the 1st? Or do you think it would be censored like Manhunt 2. And would you be fine with that, as long as they made the gameplay really good.

SJRB

Gold Member
Here is 15 minutes of uncensored Manhunt 2 execution footage. The difference between the two games is pretty substantial, the animations are incredible at times.

randomwab

The middle crowbar attack where he sticks it into the collar bone and snaps it always gets me. The sound is god damn horrible.

Jonbo298

Do you think that if R* made a 3rd Manhunt with today's graphics, it could get away with an M rating with the brutal gore in the 1st? Or do you think it would be censored like Manhunt 2. And would you be fine with that, as long as they made the gameplay really good.

Probably mild censoring on consoles and uncensored on PC.

Here is 15 minutes of uncensored Manhunt 2 execution footage. The difference between the two games is pretty substantial, the animations are incredible at times.

This is not just uncensored. This is the game modded to get rid of the distortion and fixing the camera angle that's supposed to obstruct some of the stuff that's going on.

The game is portrayed as even more violent by these kill animation vids.

SJRB

Gold Member
This is not just uncensored. This is the game modded to get rid of the distortion and fixing the camera angle that's supposed to obstruct some of the stuff that's going on.

The game is portrayed as even more violent by these kill animation vids.

I know. Awesome, isn't it?

The hedge clipper cutting the spine in half is my favourite.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Manhunt is brilliant but I really enjoyed Manhunt 2 as well. Liked its story and it's black humour a lot. The executions are extremely brutal as well, a lot more so
than the first game. The plastic bag ones are nasty.

I don't specifically care about a new Manhunt game but I'd love a new Rockstar stealth game.

What is the motivation for the character to so ruthlessly and horrifically murder these characters?

Not just kill, but do so in such barbaric ways?

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
What is the motivation for the character to so ruthlessly and horrifically murder these characters?

Well in the first game Cash was on death row and it's never really expanded upon so it's not hard to imagine he's a brutal murderer/scumbag. Plus as others have said he's 'starring' in a snuff film and being hunted/told what to do. Brian Cox is amazing in it, one of my favourite performances of his.

In the sequel your character
suffers from split personality and was in a government program which fucked him up

dreamfall

Snuff to survive.

All of this makes me want to fire it up right now.

Piggsy arm cutting was one of the most glorious things I've felt in a game ever, after being so scared of every little bit of noise.

The game was terrifying.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Never played manhunt, but holy fuck if that machete stuff was the most effectively brutal thing I've seen in video games. That sound design is fucking excellent.

dyergram

The wii version had one where you beat somebody with a phone then strangled them. Also something with barbed wire between the legs that was gross as well.

TraBuch

Banned
I watched that video in the first post and didn't see it, but I could've sworn there was an execution where you put a plastic bag over an enemy's head and just stabbed the shit out of his face with a glass shard. Am I just totally imagining things?

Blues1990

The plastic bag execution. Something about being unable to breath while somebody punches you in the nose is uneasy on me, compared to the other executions which were quick and brutal :(.

Poke a hole through the bag, problem solved.

Seriously, this execution was the one that had taken me out of the experience, as plastic bags that you find in grocery stores are not what you call a durable material.

Flappy

Banned
I'm shocked at so many people saying the plastic bag executions. They seem the most tame to me.

Hell, I've known people who put bags over their own heads for fun.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Crowbar 3rd execution - Hammer executions and the Cheese wire... so gud.

I remember throwing this back into my ps2 and running through the whole game like twice just before San Andreas came out (?) because R* had mentioned somewhere in an interview that they were playing with control and combat mechanics in Manhunt that they were going to be using for GTA - specifically the guns and such.

Manhunt was probably one of the first games I played on the PS2 where guns actually felt like fucking guns. Headshots = death. one and done.

I watched that video in the first post and didn't see it, but I could've sworn there was an execution where you put a plastic bag over an enemy's head and just stabbed the shit out of his face with a glass shard. Am I just totally imagining things?

No, you are right. i think the third execution in part 1. Manhunt 3 would be insane on todays hardware :>

Top Bottom