• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zalusithix

I am in the same boat. Sell my type 7 for a multirole python or type 9 trading monster. I have a speced out vulture for supporting my friends anaconda & clipper. I made about 2.4 million per hour with the 7. To almost double that.....

T6 to T7 was a nice jump in per trip profit due to having twice the cargo space, but it was somewhat offset by the large pad requirement eliminating the more lucrative outposts as trading options. Still, with the exception of the Clipper, for the price it couldn't be beat. In the case of the Clipper, if you weren't ranking up imperial from the get go, then access to it comes too late.

T7 to Python nets a bit over 25% additional raw cargo space, and the trade route options gained by the outpost landing capability can result in up to a 50% increase in profit per ton. It gives up the great visibility of the T series, but on the flip side it can actually defend itself.

T7 to T9 results in a 130% increase in hauling capacity, but has an Achilles heel in the jump range department. You pretty much have to use downsized and D rank equipment all over the place in order to crack even the 13ly mark. Much like the T7, it's also going to be horrible at defending itself unless you sacrifice storage for a large shield.

So a Python has the range, defense, speed, and outpost advantages. The T9 has the superior cockpit visibility (easier landing), and an absolutely massive cargo capacity. From a pure profit standpoint, the T9 will win, but the trade route will have to be optimized for the jump range. Every additional jump takes time to align and perform (especially with the least maneuverable ship in the game), and time is money. In a unoptimized route, I wouldn't be surprised if the Python would net more profit in an hour.

The Clipper is my current target vessel, though I am still flying around in a Cobra. To fully spec the Clipper how I want though, looking at close to 100 Mil credits.
I'm struggling to get to just the 22 to buy the ship in the first place....
100 mill? Looking to put beam turrets on it I take it?

Shifty76

FDL stuff

Tried responding earlier but couldn't post from my phone for some reason.

Anyway, I run a nearly identical setup to the one I posted when fighting in CZs. Only change is switching the interdictor for another SCB or better boosters. Haven't decided which I prefer yet. I don't ever carry a scoop unless I'm traveling across systems.

CZ ships are higher ranked than RES ones so have tougher shields and hull reinforcements so I use the plasma (not particle) accelerator a LOT more liberally. It makes short work of shields, and once shields are down all the hull reinforcement in the world doesn't save targets subsystems from the PA.

In RES I'm much more conservative with PA use, simply because I hate having to return to rearm, but I have no such issue holding back in a CZ where you need to disable targets asap.

Regarding gimballed vs fixed I'll take the extra dmg of fixed every time. With FA off it's not difficult to keep a target in your sights, and I find it easy enough to hit the PP without the aid of gimballed. I've heard in 1,3 you can no longer untarget chaffing targets to use gimballed weapons as if they were fixed, so that'd be another count against gimballed.

Once I get back to civilization I'm planning on doing some CZ's so once I get the hang of using this HOTAS in combat (and get used to combat again in general since it's been 2 months since I saw another ship!) I'll record another vid.

9k LY to go to get home...

Lagamorph

100 mill? Looking to put beam turrets on it I take it?

No surprisingly. Just that seems to be the cost of kitting out top Power Plants, Distributor, FSD, etc.
The weapons I was looking at were Medium Gimbled Cannons and Large Gimbled Pulse Lasers. Fixed is a no go for me since I can't manually precision aim for shit.

Shifty76

No surprisingly. Just that seems to be the cost of kitting out top Power Plants, Distributor, FSD, etc.
The weapons I was looking at were Medium Gimbled Cannons and Large Gimbled Pulse Lasers. Fixed is a no go for me since I can't manually precision aim for shit.

I'd recommend large burst paired with med multicannons on a clipper.

Zalusithix

The only way you'll get that high of a price with that weapon loadout is if you were using the size 7 slot for a shield generator, which means you're obviously not trying to create an armed trader. (Either that or you're getting the best armor for it, which would be crazy for a trader as well.) I'm not sure it makes any sense to get the Clipper for a pure combat ship. The weapon placement and the paltry shielding severely limit it's capability in that aspect. A size 4 shield on a Python is virtually the same shielding as you'd get from that size 7 shielding in the Clipper for instance. With the same weapon loadout (plus another pulse laser to boot), a Python can be kitted out for less and have better shielding, weapon placement, and headroom for growth.

On the topic of my own progression, after some thought I've thrown another option on the table: the 'Conda. It's rather expensive - about 100 million more required to get it to my initial target specs compared to the T9, and it has a bit under 100 tons less cargo capacity. In return, however, I get a more maneuverable ship with over 16ly jump range fully laden. It also has over 3 times times the shielding and is bristling with weaponry. (Whether I could actually hit anything with those weapons is another issue entirely.) The only question is whether I'd be able to stomach the grind without burnout. All in, I could have that in under two weeks - less if I sold the Python. That might kill the game for me though. In a less burn out prone schedule, I'd instead have to have to maintain my patience longer. Things get rather tempting when you effectively have enough to buy any other ship in the game multiple times over lol.

Lagamorph

Thanks for the advice guys!

I don't really intend for the Clipper to be a dedicated combat ship, but more like a Jack of all trades like my Cobra. I just think that the Clipper is going to look much better doing it, I really love the ship design, it's very Star Trek. The Cobra on the other hand just looks so dull by comparison.

Eventually I'll probably upgrade to a Fer-de-Lance, as a stepping stone towards the ultimate goal of an Anaconda. I tend to prefer ships that lend themselves more towards multi-role functionality than anything dedicated.

Having said that, I may eventually invest in an Asp at least for when I do perhaps decide to go with a bit of exploration.

Shifty76

I don't really intend for the Clipper to be a dedicated combat ship, but more like a Jack of all trades like my Cobra. I just think that the Clipper is going to look much better doing it, I really love the ship design, it's very Star Trek. The Cobra on the other hand just looks so dull by comparison.

Eventually I'll probably upgrade to a Fer-de-Lance, as a stepping stone towards the ultimate goal of an Anaconda. I tend to prefer ships that lend themselves more towards multi-role functionality than anything dedicated.

Having said that, I may eventually invest in an Asp at least for when I do perhaps decide to go with a bit of exploration.

Error, does not compute. FDL is the most single role vessel in the entire game ;)

Also, if you do get a clipper it's fine for exploring in.

Zalusithix

The Cobra was a more balanced ship for a jack of all trades. The Clipper is more skewed to trading. Still, stats be damned, I do understand the desire to get the ship regardless. Both it and the upcoming Courier are great, unique looking ships.

elyetis

I hope they either release 1.3 really soon, or that we at least finaly get new Community Goals ( but it seems like they are waiting for 1.3 for that, if they still exist in 1.3 ). The grind just get sooo much slower without any active community goal....and I want my fdl.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I hope they either release 1.3 really soon, or that we at least finaly get new Community Goals ( but it seems like they are waiting for 1.3 for that, if they still exist in 1.3 ). The grind just get sooo much slower without any active community goal....and I want my fdl.

I'm ready too. Been having fun in my new Vulture bounty hunting in asteroid fields, got most of my new ship upgraded all the way now, so I'm just saving credits to buy that Diamondback Scout later this week. The Vulture is damned fun though.

One thing about 1.3 worries me though, apparently the AI got a lot better at combat. To the point where they are now quite challenging. It's gonna be harder to grind credits bounty hunting in 1.3 I fear. Which is good for the challenge but bad for the Elite rank progress.

I'm curious to see just how much better the AI is.....

elyetis

I'm ready too. Been having fun in my new Vulture bounty hunting in asteroid fields, got most of my new ship upgraded all the way now, so I'm just saving credits to buy that Diamondback Scout later this week. The Vulture is damned fun though..
I like my Vulture, but only 2 hardpoint really doesn't leave much room for build variety. It's also pretty quicky power limited, and his speed can be frustrating ( that was probably the worst part when I went from the viper to the vulture ).

But the cockpit is really nice in VR, and going dual burst is incredibly powerfull.

Mengy

Huh, after playing around with ship builds on the ED:Shipyard website, I may not be buying a Diamondback Scout for exploring afterall. It's internal bays are very limiting, there isn't any way to fit both shields and a auto repair unit along with both scanners, no way at all. Either the DBS has shields or a repair unit, not both.

Maybe instead of turning my Asp into a mining ship (and buying the DBS for exploring) I may just convert it to pure exploring and get something else for mining. Maybe a Cobra, or even a Type 6. I don't like running around deep space without shields, and at least one repair unit is kinda needed as you get far, far out.

Or, maybe I'll just bite the 10% penalty and continue to refit my Asp as the mood strikes me. Fuck it. Lol.

Zalusithix

Huh, after playing around with ship builds on the ED:Shipyard website, I may not be buying a Diamondback Scout for exploring afterall. It's internal bays are very limiting, there isn't any way to fit both shields and a auto repair unit along with both scanners, no way at all. Either the DBS has shields or a repair unit, not both.

Maybe instead of turning my Asp into a mining ship (and buying the DBS for exploring) I may just convert it to pure exploring and get something else for mining. Maybe a Cobra, or even a Type 6. I don't like running around deep space without shields, and at least one repair unit is kinda needed as you get far, far out.

Or, maybe I'll just bite the 10% penalty and continue to refit my Asp as the mood strikes me. Fuck it. Lol.

Yeah, the Diamondback was a disappointment for me (going by the stats at least). The Courier, on the other hand looks like it could be a fun ship to tool around with in combat. 3 medium hardpoints, good shielding, relatively fast and agile, and great visibility. Cheap enough you wont feel the hit of death much either.

Pomerlaw

attachment.php

Mengy

Man, I was just bounty hunting for the past three hours and I was about to head out of the RES when I went to engage one last Anaconda. I thrusterd myself sideways right into an asteroid, destroying my Vulture for the first time. 5 million in bounty gone.

Son of a bitch.

fanboi

Banned
That's an adder getting as close to a planet as it can. We won't be seeing actual atmospheric flight for a long time.

I will be in an expansion / DLC for the game (aka paid).

Except for premium beta and alpha backers (aka me :p).

But that image is so sexy.

Mengy

A Hauler on low orbit over Earth. :)

I present you the Diamondback Explorer (with Diamondback Scout in the back) :

attachment.php

Okay, wait, the two ships have slightly different models. Are there going to be two versions of the Diamondback with 1.3, an explorer version and a combat version?

Okay, wait, the two ships have slightly different models. Are there going to be two versions of the Diamondback with 1.3, an explorer version and a combat version?

Yeah, I thought it was just a name change w/some component tweaks, not a "new model" or ship.

Mengy

Yeah, I thought it was just a name change w/some component tweaks, not a "new model" or ship.

So, is this for real? Because I couldn't outfit a DB Scout for exploring to my satisfaction, the internals just aren't adequate. Have FDev actually listened and supplied us with a variant of the Diamondback that can be set up to explore properly?

Is my dream of exploring in a Diamondback alive once again???? If so, I'm going to piss myself with excitement!!

EDIT: Oh Shit, one of the lead designers posted about this on the forums:

Mike Evans said:
It's very different. It's much longer and thus larger and heavier which allows for a completely different set of internal module numbers and qualities. The rest will be a surprise

Okay, I just pissed myself.....

Here are the stats according to the people in the beta:

Class 5 FSD
Class 4 thrusters, power plant, and distributor
32T fuel tank
Hardpoints - 1 large, 2 medium
Utility slots - 4
Internals - 2x clas 4, 2x class 3, 1x class 2

Say hello to my new exploration ship, my Asp is getting refitted into a mining vessel!!!!

mitchman

Gold Member
God the whining about that has been pathetic, hopefully it comes back in some way.

After hangar storage. 10% makes sense if you're allowed to keep modules in some hangar, otherwise it's just a way to degrade the game experience.

EDIT: Oh Shit, one of the lead designers posted about this on the forums:

Okay, I just pissed myself.....

Class 5 FSD
32T fuel tank
Utility slots - 4

Holy shit. We won boys.

Diamondback Explorer purchase confirmed to go with my Imperial Courier.

Say hello to my new exploration ship, my Asp is getting refitted into a mining vessel!!!!
That doesn't sound like a good call. I'd just sell it and buy a T7 and save up for a T9. Or a Clipper or Python or something with decent cargo space.

I just read that the 10% thing wont go live, thankfully.

Good. It was a fucking awful idea to implement something like that without offering a storage solution of some kind. It should be there, but not without the opportunity to NOT sell a part back if we don't want to. I'm happy to pay a cost to have an old part that I already own refitted, but having to rebuy parts and pay a penalty for doing so was just incomplete and insufficient and everyone knew it.

God the whining about that has been pathetic, hopefully it comes back in some way.

No, it was a pathetic implementation of a reasonable idea, drawing warranted criticism and whining. If they don't want to get fussed at and shit on, they can't implement half-way solutions and pretend it's fine as-is when it clearly isn't. You can't implement that kind of system without acknowledging and repairing the fundamentally flawed module/equipment evaluation process that largely involves a shit-ton of trial and error to see what can work and what can't. You can't implement that kind of system without the ability to store expensive parts if you don't really want to keep them on your ship or if you plan to transfer them to a different ship. The idea of charging for returns is fine, but there are like 10 other things they need to do to make that process fair. Otherwise, you're just fucking people out of credits they've earned for no apparent reason.

Mengy

I'm glad to see it not going live, but yes according to David Braben himself today, it will be back in some fashion down the road:

David Braben said:
There are a few different things here. We should probably have had something in for this at the start, but we need to do something. We understand some of the complaints - particularly about swapping ship load-outs.

I also think we should have discussed it beforehand - but given how many things there are in Powerplay, we simply didn't call it out.

This is a bone of contention amongst our designers - and we will do something in the future. There should be a cost to this - but that is for another day. So some news - we will be reversing this change shortly (or 'soonTM' as Michael B would say...), so to be clear this aspect will be as it was before in the public release.

This is a beta after all, and we want the best experience for everyone.

So the 10% module penalty won't happen for 1.3 but something like it will be coming eventually.

That doesn't sound like a good call. I'd just sell it and buy a T7 and save up for a T9. Or a Clipper or Python or something with decent cargo space.

Nah, I think the Asp will do just fine as a mining ship. It will have a 64 space rack in it, that's enough for a good mining run, after mining 64 tons of rock I'll want a break anyway so it will be time to fly back and sell. Good thing is the Asp has enough hardpoints and internals to both mine and fight effectively. Plus, I can't sell my Asp, no sir, not gonna do it!

Zalusithix

Holy shit. We won boys.

Diamondback Explorer purchase confirmed to go with my Imperial Courier.
Yep, the explorer variant is much more interesting. Also is kind of a first of its kind for Elite. Star Citizen has been doing ship variants for some time now, but Elite has stuck to the one ship, one model, one stat set mentality. Personally, I don't mind if having minor ship variants becomes a trend.

T7/9 mining has one big flaw. They're shit for combat. At least with the Asp you can potentially defend yourself. With the 7 or 9, you're either going to hightail it out or go into tedious combat that you could quite easily lose.

Nah, I think the Asp will do just fine as a mining ship. It will have a 64 space rack in it, that's enough for a good mining run, after mining 64 tons of rock I'll want a break anyway so it will be time to fly back and sell. Good thing is the Asp has enough hardpoints and internals to both mine and fight effectively. Plus, I can't sell my Asp, no sir, not gonna do it!
It will do fine in a pinch. 64 tons of cargo space is *not* good enough for a mining run. Further, your purpose for the vehicle is to fill a need for a mining vessel, is it not? Then the importance of having enough hardpoints for fighting is rather diminished. Most traders never need to defend themselves and you're leaving literally double - quintuple the profits on the table just because you've had the ship for a long time and are comfortable with it. But trading -- like mining -- is about cargo space more than anything. You should really consider at least upgrading to a T7, which has 104 tons of space. Or ideally something like a Python which can go up to like 280 tons while still being able to land at Outposts where some of the best sale prices/trading is done. 64 tons for mining/trading is like going 300LY with a 11LY FSD: is just a waste of your time, tbh.

Certainly you should do what you like of course, but I think you'll fairly quickly find that your profits are insufficient for the time being spent. It's a fine ship to get you started, but you'll want up and out of it as soon as you can afford to for the same reason you'd want to upgrade your FSD on an explorer as soon as you can afford to.

T7/9 mining has one big flaw. They're shit for combat. At least with the Asp you can potentially defend yourself. With the 7 or 9, you're either going to hightail it out or go into tedious combat that you could quite easily lose.
I mean...

tbh, the same argument can be made for an Exploration-outfitted ship. You ultimately accept more risk in exchange for more distance, or in this case more profits. You can't really have it both ways (unless Python...but even then after awhile you get into T9 territory where the real money starts flowing in). So if you go Asp as your dedicated solution for mining, you simultaneously accept 80%+ less profits per run for the hope of being able to fight your way out of a chance encounter with someone with bad intentions. Most have traded/mined tens of millions worth of materials in these vessels without incident. Is the fear of getting attacked (extremely unlikely unless you're still in core systems and even then pretty unlikely) really worth losing that kind of potential income?

edit: I just reasonably configured a T7. It actually rocks out with 196 tons of space. Compare to 64 tons on that Asp. We're talking about almost a 4x income increase EVERY RUN. The FSD comparison is even more appropriate. Probably costs more than his current Asp, but it will make money for him a few orders of magnitude faster when he can afford to upgrade to it.y

Mengy

It will do fine in a pinch. 64 tons of cargo space is *not* good enough for a mining run. Further, your purpose for the vehicle is to fill a need for a mining vessel, is it not? Then the importance of having enough hardpoints for fighting is rather diminished. Most traders never need to defend themselves and you're leaving literally double - quintuple the profits on the table just because you've had the ship for a long time and are comfortable with it. But trading -- like mining -- is about cargo space more than anything. You should really consider at least upgrading to a T7, which has 104 tons of space. Or ideally something like a Python which can go up to like 280 tons while still being able to land at Outposts where some of the best sale prices/trading is done. 64 tons for mining/trading is like going 300LY with a 11LY FSD: is just a waste of your time, tbh.

Welp, two things:

1. I haven't had much fun mining so far as it's boring and tedious, so hopefully the drones in 1.3 fix that, but the chance is still there that I'll still hate it, so starting out "small" will be a good test run

2. I don't have the credits to buy anything larger, LOL! I just bought a Vulture and upgraded it, hell I need to earn the creds for a DB Explorer yet, a T7 or Python are wayyyy out of my league for now

The way I see it, a mining Asp is far better than a mining Adder or Cobra!

Speaking of trading ships, I think after I pick up this cheap Diamondback and Courier, I'll begin saving up for this T9. I think it is nigh perfect. Swapping out the refinery allows it to reach 500 tons.

6.5 million credits/hour right there boys. With enough shielding to buy yourself enough time to run if interdicted. I don't imagine mining will be my thing, but I can be okay with trading with that kind of money coming in. The ship pays for itself in about a week of play and lets you max out all of your other ships in the week that follows.

I might actually sell my FdL and temporarially downgrade a couple of my A-spec Python's parts to buy this, then buy the FdL and Python parts back next week. It'd certainly be the faster approach to maxing out all 3, even with the $5 million hit I'd take on the FdL return.

Zalusithix

I mean...

tbh, the same argument can be made for an Exploration-outfitted ship. You ultimately accept more risk in exchange for more distance, or in this case more profits. You can't really have it both ways (unless Python...but even then after awhile you get into T9 territory where the real money starts flowing in). So if you go Asp as your dedicated solution for mining, you simultaneously accept 80%+ less profits per run for the hope of being able to fight your way out of a chance encounter with someone with bad intentions. Most have traded/mined tens of millions worth of materials in these vessels without incident. Is the fear of getting attacked (extremely unlikely unless you're still in core systems and even then pretty unlikely) really worth losing that kind of potential income?

edit: I just reasonably configured a T7. It actually rocks out with 196 tons of space. Compare to 64 tons on that Asp. We're talking about almost a 4x income increase EVERY RUN. The FSD comparison is even more appropriate.

I don't think exploration is really comparable. Serious explorers are typically absurdly far out when they're not just doing consecutive jumps. Trading is also different in the sense that you're typically always in SC when not at a station. Aside from interdiction, you're not in much of a threatening situation. Even in interdiction you can fight it before the real fight would have to begin. Miners are in plain space where they can be targeted by weapons freely.

You also forgot to throw in the limpets for the mining into those mining builds. As for T9 trading, you forgot to D rank stuff for range. Range is important for trading. Every fraction of a light year makes certain routes viable that wouldn't necessarily be before. This is much more suited to trading @ 500T. Fighting in a T9 is a pointless waste of time and weight IMO, so I just dropped all hardpoints.

Shifty76

Yeah T9 needs all the jump range you can squeeze out of it.

I flew one for about 15 mins (enough for one there and back trip) then sold it and went back to a python. Just can't do big lumbering slow ships.

Also, 4 x cargo space =/= 4 x profit when mining as it's going to take at least twice as long to fill, likely longer.

DrBo42

Yeah, it's been absurd.

On another note how does this Diamondback Explorer compare to the Asp? I like the look of it quite a bit more, that's usually a big win.

I was thinking the exact thing about mining. The economy doesn't scale/time based on the size of ship, you still have to fire at rocks then collect the fragments (imagine that in a T9). I can't imagine you can get to fill the entire cargo hold with ore. In addition to that I have no idea how the mining will work in 1.3. Hopefully it will be quicker.

The Python trader does sound appealing. I also want a Diamondback!

Class 5 FSD
32T fuel tank
Utility slots - 4
Wasn't this ship only @ ~ 500k? This with one large Hardpoint would be awesome.

DrBo42

I was thinking the exact thing about mining. The economy doesn't scale/time based on the size of ship, you still have to fire at rocks then collect the fragments (imagine that in a T9). I can't imagine you can get to fill the entire cargo hold with ore. In addition to that I have no idea how the mining will work in 1.3. Hopefully it will be quicker.

The Python trader does sound appealing. I also want a Diamondback!

Somebody hasn't been informed on prospector and collector drones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVcQwMe5J9M

Qasiel

Came back into playing this tonight after a few months break. Went to launch from inside a station and my ship blew up for absolutely no reason. Luckily it was only 50k in the toilet, but it kinda upset me.

So, looks like I've missed a lot, eh?

DrBo42

Came back into playing this tonight after a few months break. Went to launch from inside a station and my ship blew up for absolutely no reason. Luckily it was only 50k in the toilet, but it kinda upset me.

So, looks like I've missed a lot, eh?

Yeah, there's a new mechanic with fuel/engine stability. If your ship is docked for a long time (you're offline) you need to do an inspection and flight checklist before you take off again or run the risk of a catastrophic malfunction.

Not really

Qasiel

Yeah, there's a new mechanic with fuel/engine stability. If your ship is docked for a long time (you're offline) you need to do an inspection and flight checklist before you take off again or run the risk of a catastrophic malfunction.

Not really

... I actually believed that.

Mengy

Wasn't this ship only @ ~ 500k? This with one large Hardpoint would be awesome.

According to what I've read so far, the DB Scout is a hair under $500K, however the DB Explorer clocks in at $1.7 million. So more than a Cobra but much less than an Asp. That large hardpoint is awesome, but the Explorer is not anywhere near as agile or fast as the Scout, in fact it's less agile than an Asp, so it is sluggish. It probably wouldn't make for a very good combat ship due to that. No, the Explorer's purpose is mainly exploration, it's got jump range and a 32T fuel tank, so it's built to travel.

Here is how I'm planning on building mine:

http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=70i,mpV0Wg0Wg,2-6u6u7_5K6u5K8I,7Re4-40Ke2jw2UI

Zalusithix

According to what I've read so far, the DB Scout is a hair under $500K, however the DB Explorer clocks in at $1.7 million. So more than a Cobra but much less than an Asp. That large hardpoint is awesome, but the Explorer is not anywhere near as agile or fast as the Scout, in fact it's less agile than an Asp, so it is sluggish. It probably wouldn't make for a very good combat ship due to that. No, the Explorer's purpose is mainly exploration, it's got jump range and a 32T fuel tank, so it's built to travel.

Here is how I'm planning on building mine:

http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=70i,mpV0Wg0Wg,2-6u6u7_5K6u5K8I,7Re4-40Ke2jw2UI

Why 4D vs 3A power plant? The 3A gives more power, better heat efficiency, less weight, and is only marginally more expensive.

Mengy

Why 4D vs 3A power plant? The 3A gives more power, better heat efficiency, less weight, and is only marginally more expensive.

Good point, I just quick slapped that together, but yeah you are right. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom