• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
For the Warzone missions, I paid attention to the patterns and it looks like the only really reliable ones are those which are explicit about being a mercenary.

Good: War means wealth! Sorties available in Ho Hsi
Jet Comms: +unrest, +lockdown, +outbreak, +0% influence, +rep
Ho Hsi Corp: +lockdown, +unrest, +outbreak, -1% influence, -rep

Good: Excellent rates of pay available for Soldiers of Fortune
Jet Comms: +unrest, +0% influence, +rep
Ho Hsi Corp: +lockdown, +unrest, +outbreak, -1%influence, -rep

Don't take any wishy-washy ones that talk about reducing warzone activity (or anything offered by any faction other than Jet Comms). Sometimes they work, sometimes they hurt your rep.

Bad: Proactive Combat Missions Available (Reduce Warzone Numbers in Ho Hsi)
Jet Comms +unrest, +lockdown, +outbreak, -0% influence, +rep (confirm?)

High reward trades are still elusive to me. I updated and used Slopey's tool again to find a nice round trip trade I could execute and ended up losing money (only 370 cr) but still, that application is just not accurate most of the time.

Guess my next goal is to save up for an actual high cargo capacity ship. Having 10 is nice in my Viper but not ideal for trading, just small things when I run missions and notice that I can make some quick money on a trip back between stations. People making hundreds of thousands a trip are damn lucky!

I'm also getting kind of sick of both Ho Hsi and federation space. Thinking of sticking around in Empire space where I'm docked right now.

Jedi2016

High reward trades are still elusive to me. I updated and used Slopey's tool again to find a nice round trip trade I could execute and ended up losing money (only 370 cr) but still, that application is just not accurate most of the time.
Might depend on where you are. The more players are in a given area, the more the prices will fluctuate, leaving the trade apps behind and woefully inaccurate. I plan to head back off into the boonies for trading, out in the middle of nowhere. I've been out close to the rim a couple times (whatever they're calling the outer edge of human-occupied territory), trading tends to be pretty good if you can find a route.

Nope all weapon classes are static. So every fixed medium pulse laser is the same, there isn't a better one anywhere. The grades are purely showing the size of the weapon and the dps.

So is that to say that there is never a bigger, or better, pulse laser? Just "Pulse laser" and that's it?

I take it the same does not apply for non-weapons? Because there are different classes and grades of FSDs and shit.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So is that to say that there is never a bigger, or better, pulse laser? Just "Pulse laser" and that's it?

I take it the same does not apply for non-weapons? Because there are different classes and grades of FSDs and shit.

There are 3 different sizes of each weapon, bigger ones are better, but beyond that no.

Might depend on where you are. The more players are in a given area, the more the prices will fluctuate, leaving the trade apps behind and woefully inaccurate. I plan to head back off into the boonies for trading, out in the middle of nowhere. I've been out close to the rim a couple times (whatever they're calling the outer edge of human-occupied territory), trading tends to be pretty good if you can find a route.
Yea I'm thinking of doing the same; or at least finding a different area to trawl for a while. I think I'll see where it all takes me.

Sarcasm

So..finally done with tutorials. I start solo just to get use to stuff.

So I un-dock and go back..was going to try re-docking. Well station accepts but once I land it doesn't connect or something. So I open my map and holy its confusing to use. I don't know where another station is..I jumped once (jumping uses the FSD right?) and its just a sun.

Oh is that what it is? :p

Yeah funny enough I wasn't able to find the file where you can edit it. Still tweaking with everything, but yeah I've heard the green is a bit better. I love the game, so hopefully they'll keep working on the oculus integration. It's definitely amazing in some parts. Some UI customization would be great.

No real performance issues outside of just some jittering as i moved my head. Mostly the things that bothered me will get better with patches. Screen door effect is what it is, so looking forward to consumer versions.

PC stats:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 690
Oh that's great news, I might just pick this up then. Probably better to grab it sooner than later since I can see this game being quickly overwhelming for new players.

Klyka

Banned

There are rare special versions of weapons like "overcharged" Lasers or "oversized" Cannon.

More damage at more power,heat and mass

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
There's different sizes of each part, but there are also different grades. Grade A should be a good deal better than a C, for example.

Yes but not for weapons. Every class 1 pulse laser has the same letter grade, every class 2 pulse laser has the same letter grade and every class 3 pulse laser has the same letter grade.

There are NO better weapons, if you find the proper weapon type and size for your ship, feel comfortable in buying it, hunting around for a 'better' one is fruitless. At best you'll find modified weapons like the overcharged guns, but they aren't 'better' they sacrifice one stat for another.

Sarcasm

So question I found on the galaxy map the tea trade routes (which is my mission is to bring tea) and I click on the system..it says agriculture but why does every station list on Exports..metals/precious metals? Where do I find tea?

Raticus79

Continuing my search for a good Extraction station near Ho Hsi, I started up a spreadsheet for doing an inventory of the neighboring systems. I got a system list from Maddavo and did a calculation on the coordinates to get the distance from Ho Hsi. This has the 1000 closest.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Gnix4XtBEGv9ip3O_7Z0-YPeuAmLysy80ruqfIuZ2FM/edit#gid=0
(anyone can edit)

I took the pop and economy info from the types listed on the galaxy map, and for interesting ones I went in and checked the distance from the star.

Qa'wakana wins so far. It's 18 LY away and has 3 wealthy very large Extraction outposts next to the star (~300 ls). There's also a station a bit further out at Farrukh Terminal (2600 ls) for big ships. I put in a note to use Tall Dock by default since that's the federation-aligned one in an otherwise independent system.

Tall Dock orbits a very scenic planet too, which doesn't hurt.

cxmFqXP.png

gotee12

So question I found on the galaxy map the tea trade routes (which is my mission is to bring tea) and I click on the system..it says agriculture but why does every station list on Exports..metals/precious metals? Where do I find tea?
I had the same problem earlier with gallite (sp?). I used the site below to find stations close that had been known to sell the stuff. From what I can tell, I don't believe folks are keeping it up to date price-wise, but it did find a station that was selling what I was needing. They really need to implement some kind of item search ingame.

http://roguey.co.uk/elite-dangerous/trade-helper/

Okay, I'm tired of missing for x52s to come in stock as I want to get into this before I'm back to work. I've watched some starting up videos on Youtube (namely do easy missions for weapons upgrades then switch to bounty hunting) and hear a controller's preferable over Keyboard & mouse. Are there any other tips I should know before jumping in?

gotee12

Okay, I'm tired of missing for x52s to come in stock as I want to get into this before I'm back to work. I've watched some starting up videos on Youtube (namely do easy missions for weapons upgrades then switch to bounty hunting) and hear a controller's preferable over Keyboard & mouse. Are there any other tips I should know before jumping in?
I'm using my DS4 controller (along with DS4Windows) for basic flight control and VoiceAttack for everything else. I'm cruising through space, lounging on the couch, shouting "divert power to weapons!" and loving every minute of it...

Are there better tutorials than what's in the game? They're kinda terrible for explaining anything. I did the jump one and I had to keep alt tabbing to google things they didn't explain. This seems interesting but I don't really know what's going on and the tutorials are pushing me away from the game.

Are there better tutorials than what's in the game? They're kinda terrible for explaining anything. I did the jump one and I had to keep alt tabbing to google things they didn't explain. This seems interesting but I don't really know what's going on and the tutorials are pushing me away from the game.

YouTube has heaps of video tutorials.

Sarcasm

Yea they need to work on the tutorials. Yt is nice and the fanbase is great but it would be nice to be able to do stuff while ingame without alt tabbing and/or 2+ monitors.

bj00rn_

Banned
As much as I play and love this game.. I was sitting in the cockpit of my ship in a station this evening, looking around at the buildings and windows; Completely empty and sterile.. Not even a vague shape of a being in the control tower. Made me a little "sad". I hope they add some..life..to the expansions later, the game really needs it, or at least something simple when communicating like Frontier: Elite II had.

As much as I play and love this game.. I was sitting in the cockpit of my ship in a station this evening, looking around at the buildings and windows; Completely empty and sterile.. Not even a vague shape of a being in the control tower. Made me a little "sad". I hope they add some..life..to the expansions later, the game really needs it, or at least something simple when communicating like Frontier: Elite II had.

Whale66.jpg

Believe.

But yeah, I kinda see what you mean though. Though, I think the loneliness and emptiness help to solidify the feeling of being in this infinite space of planets and stars.

Wreav

Banned
Watching Megashark vs Mechashark on SyFy today, noticed that the Mechashark was controlled by an X52 Pro set, and I had to laugh a little.

MEGA_SHARK_GamingDevice_02.jpg

9551_2.jpg

One-Shot

Banned

I am hoping they can liven space up a little bit. Kind of take a cue from freelancer.

Skyzard

Banned
Does anyone know where the closest resource extraction site is to Ho Hsi - one outside the system itself (my bounty would get in the way of the bounty hunting).

Last time I went looking I set up base much further away.

---aiming fixed lasers with flight assist off is not worth it.

Seventy70

I was thinking the same thing. It's one of those games that look so full of things to do on the surface, but as soon as you learn the basics, it becomes apparent how empty everything is. The game is still alright and with the Oculus Rift it looks amazing, but it feels too empty. All the stations look the same. All the billboards look the same. All you do is go around doing chores in space. I wish they had taken a lot more time to pack the game with details. I'm saying something like Mass Effect with tons of options and side stuff that reveals endless amounts of things about the world with new updates adding even more. One thing that they could have done is made a huge stock market for companies that you see on billboards and add some side stuff for that. Maybe they could have even made virtual CEOs for those companies and keep releasing updates that would introduce even more politics and depth to the game. Stuff like news stories. Look at EVE. There's so much crazy stuff in that game like people coordinating attacks on the in-game government, espionage, stealing, bounty hunters for hire, MASSIVE space battles, etc.. This game should have been a living, breathing space world, but instead it's one thing repeated over and over again with no personality. I'm expecting the same thing from No Man's Sky. Just a couple of things repeated over and over with slight variation. I think the people that make these games need to learn that if you want to make a large, living world, you need to give the players tons of options, throw them in one world and let them make their own story. Hopefully Star Citizen delivers.

Does anyone think we'll ever get to a point in Elite:Dangerous where actual players can perform something like the The Adama Maneuver?

I just saw this last night in a long while and it made me really want to be able to launch from a player controlled vessel.

Does anyone think we'll ever get to a point in Elite:Dangerous where actual players can perform something like the The Adama Maneuver?

I just saw this last night in a long while and it made me really want to be able to launch from a player controlled vessel.

For a second there I thought you were talking about the the ship appearing and then disappearing, to which I would reply "That is the stupidest thing I have ever seen."

IIRC the ability to dock and launch from larger ships was something discussed and possible planned.

I certainly hope the life of the game is long and prosperous, to the point where there's so much we can do. That would be super rad to see.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The Mass Disruption that close to Earth would be enormous and your FSD would never be able to charge up in time.

huehuehue

Sarcasm

I had the same problem earlier with gallite (sp?). I used the site below to find stations close that had been known to sell the stuff. From what I can tell, I don't believe folks are keeping it up to date price-wise, but it did find a station that was selling what I was needing. They really need to implement some kind of item search ingame.

http://roguey.co.uk/elite-dangerous/trade-helper/

SO how do I use this? I typed in where I suppose was and it found a place that is really far....

and the ingame map is annoying.

So I went into my map and did that search thing where it shows trade routes. I need to buy so I checked them out and the stations only sell precious metal...how/where do I find tea?

Wasting gas cause the map says there are tea trade routes and I go to all the markets and they sell METALLLLLL. There is nothing agriculture in this system yet its listed as it -.-

HowZatOZ

Banned

Do remember that a lot of these stations have been set up by humans/aliens or what have you and are then run by robots. The sterile environment is to replicate that, but I do agree some life form would be nice just to change things up.

I expect a lot of the more AI dominant changes to come in later patches/first expansion which is set to add explorable worlds. My guess is by late 2015 we'll have the first expansion coinciding with Star Citizen's launch which "should" have its own exploration features. Though, who knows when Star Citizen will actually launch.

I was thinking the same thing. It's one of those games that look so full of things to do on the surface, but as soon as you learn the basics, it becomes apparent how empty everything is. The game is still alright and with the Oculus Rift it looks amazing, but it feels too empty. All the stations look the same. All the billboards look the same. All you do is go around doing chores in space. I wish they had taken a lot more time to pack the game with details. I'm saying something like Mass Effect with tons of options and side stuff that reveals endless amounts of things about the world with new updates adding even more. One thing that they could have done is made a huge stock market for companies that you see on billboards and add some side stuff for that. Maybe they could have even made virtual CEOs for those companies and keep releasing updates that would introduce even more politics and depth to the game. Stuff like news stories. Look at EVE. There's so much crazy stuff in that game like people coordinating attacks on the in-game government, espionage, stealing, bounty hunters for hire, MASSIVE space battles, etc.. This game should have been a living, breathing space world, but instead it's one thing repeated over and over again with no personality. I'm expecting the same thing from No Man's Sky. Just a couple of things repeated over and over with slight variation. I think the people that make these games need to learn that if you want to make a large, living world, you need to give the players tons of options, throw them in one world and let them make their own story. Hopefully Star Citizen delivers.

Again, just a reminder that the current base game is huge. Yes its procedurally generated for the most part, but that is still 400 billion star systems to explore, with many more to come as we ourselves continually discover space and the developers introduce more into the game through later patches and expansions. The base game is quite "feature" complete in a sense that there is more than enough to do, and by goodness you'll get your $59 price tag more than satisfied as you play through. Also remember a lot of the game's content is player emerging, like the PvP zones which can be influenced through players bumping up certain factions.

That isn't to say what the base game has isn't lacking, of course that can be the case for some areas. However, what we have is a great start to what I can only imagine is going to be an amazing sci-fi game.

SO how do I use this? I typed in where I suppose was and it found a place that is really far....

and the ingame map is annoying.

So I went into my map and did that search thing where it shows trade routes. I need to buy so I checked them out and the stations only sell precious metal...how/where do I find tea?

I use elitetradingtool.co.uk, as well as Slopey's BPC application. I had trouble finding Tea for a while as well!

I just got around to playing this game for the first time today and I didn't do as bad as I thought I would. My first mission I picked up was to go to Cleve Hub in Eravate and deliver a message and I could do that without dying so that was good, the next mission I had to hunt for a rebel transmission with my only clue being go to the Faraga system so after going to all the unexplored areas I accidentaly shot a security vessel and that was not good as it blew my ship up.

After that I decided to go back to the Faraga system to find the rebel transmission and decided to hang around the nav beacon until a rebel ship turned up and I would then try to follow it. I waited for a very long time and started to hear shooting, I decided to investigate and found two ships shooting at another after scanning the ships I saw that the ship being shot at was a pirate and decided to join the fray. I eventually destroyed the ship which was called The Mighty Boot and got 40,000 bounty which I thought was good as the mission I was on was only going to pay 4000 and as I couldn't figure that one out I decided to abandon it and return to Cleve Hub to claim my reward.

This was may first day in Elite Dangerous and I think I'm hooked

I just got around to playing this game for the first time today and I didn't do as bad as I thought I would. My first mission I picked up was to go to Cleve Hub in Eravate and deliver a message and I could do that without dying so that was good, the next mission I had to hunt for a rebel transmission with my only clue being go to the Faraga system so after going to all the unexplored areas I accidentaly shot a security vessel and that was not good as it blew my ship up.

After that I decided to go back to the Faraga system to find the rebel transmission and decided to hang around the nav beacon until a rebel ship turned up and I would then try to follow it. I waited for a very long time and started to hear shooting, I decided to investigate and found two ships shooting at another after scanning the ships I saw that the ship being shot at was a pirate and decided to join the fray. I eventually destroyed the ship which was called The Mighty Boot and got 40,000 bounty which I thought was good as the mission I was on was only going to pay 4000 and as I couldn't figure that one out I decided to abandon it and return to Cleve Hub to claim my reward.

Those high bounties as a new player are amazing. I remember when I got mine, only a week ago, and I was able to get my Eagle which served me well until today. Definitely had me hooked from that first bounty.

It was probably best you cancelled that mission as I've YET to successfully complete any of those "find this guy in this system" missions. I think they're bugged.

Seventy70

Again, just a reminder that the current base game is huge. Yes its procedurally generated for the most part, but that is still 400 billion star systems to explore, with many more to come as we ourselves continually discover space and the developers introduce more into the game through later patches and expansions. The base game is quite "feature" complete in a sense that there is more than enough to do, and by goodness you'll get your $59 price tag more than satisfied as you play through. Also remember a lot of the game's content is player emerging, like the PvP zones which can be influenced through players bumping up certain factions.

That isn't to say what the base game has isn't lacking, of course that can be the case for some areas. However, what we have is a great start to what I can only imagine is going to be an amazing sci-fi game.

I definitely think it's worth $60, but I still feel disappointed by the game because if some more work went into crafting the universe, it could have been amazing since the core gameplay is solid. I guess it's still possible that they could add more to it in the future.

Starviper

You have to supercruise into signal sources, where you'll find rebel transmissions and other random events.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Wondering if someone may know what is going on here. I've got a mission to deliver two slaves, however its forked into two directions one being I get paid a handsome amount and the other I get nothing but probably a heap of reputation. My problem is the one that does pay me isn't giving me the amount it says.

Check them out in the screenshots, but for the life of me I can't figure it out.

naeS

Made it to Ho Hsi, went to the Warzone three times, was blown up three times. I quit, back to bounties and trade runs.

My last death was cool though, my canopy exploded.

Raticus79

Made it to Ho Hsi, went to the Warzone three times, was blown up three times. I quit, back to bounties and trade runs.

My last death was cool though, my canopy exploded.

Yeah, it seems like it's pretty much become the focus of PVP action in the game right now. I decided to mix things up and try it out with a decently equipped viper and I got interdicted and clobbered by someone in a maxed out cobra before I even made it to the conflict site, lol

I need to remember I'm a newbie compared to some of the other players here.

red731

Can't wait to jump into this more than yesterday.

Just a question regarding 360 gamepad - yaw and roll on same stick which kinda sucks, but thrusters on the other stick are important too.

Does anyone have their 360 gamepad bindings customised? If yes, then what where.
Trying to find some inspiration on how to make gamepad gaming the best I could in Elite.

HelloMeow

Just a question regarding 360 gamepad - yaw and roll on same stick which kinda sucks, but thrusters on the other stick are important too.

Does anyone have their 360 gamepad bindings customised? If yes, then what where.
Trying to find some inspiration on how to make gamepad gaming the best I could in Elite.

Right stick vertical: pitch
Right stick horizontal: roll

Left stick vertical: vertical thrust
Left stick horizontal: yaw

Left stick press: horizontal thrust left
Right stick press: horizontal thrust right

That was the most intuitive setup for me.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Answered few pages back but here it is again.

GAFer linked this few pages back, https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=71532

I haven't used the 360 layout but works perfect for my HOTAS X setup.

Walshicus

Right stick vertical: pitch
Right stick horizontal: roll

Left stick vertical: vertical thrust
Left stick horizontal: yaw

Left stick press: horizontal thrust left
Right stick press: horizontal thrust right

That was the most intuitive setup for me.

Left stick vertical is pitch
Left stick horizontal is yaw
Bumpers are roll
Right stick vertical is thrust vertical
Right stick horizontal is thrust horizontal
Triggers are throttle
Left stick button is full stop
Right stick button is fsd
Option button is landing gear
Dpad is power management

All on an XB1 pad.

Status