• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia [Werewolf] - Have you joined the lynch mob? Sign-up to play!

• Thread starter Deleted member 231381
  • Start date

Amir0x

Banned
haha I just totally won my first game on that EpicMafia site by clowning everyone

I was laying it on SOOOO ridiculously thick like seriously lol

"DoctorSocks, seriously? How could you accuse ME of being the Mafia? I babysat for your mum as a child!"

pants

haha I just totally won my first game on that EpicMafia site by clowning everyone

"DoctorSocks, seriously? How could you accuse ME of being the Mafia? I babysat for your mum as a child!"

tbqh as a forum personality you'll have a tough time in this game. it works out best if you're an under the radar nobody lol

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

The perception of the EpicMafia community in wider mafia community is... not good. They're seen as attracting the largest number of lowest common denominator/bad players, and it drags the site meta down. It's sort of like, uh, like playing on For Glory compared to playing at APEX, to use Smash lingo. Or, EpicMafia is the GameFAQs of the mafia world, whereas we'll be aiming to be the NeoGAF. :p

Amir0x

Banned
tbqh as a forum personality you'll have a tough time in this game. it works out best if you're an under the radar nobody lol

it's cool, I'll have fun either way haha

Crab said:
The perception of the EpicMafia community in wider mafia community is... not good. They're seen as attracting the largest number of lowest common denominator/bad players, and it drags the site meta down. It's sort of like, uh, like playing on For Glory compared to playing at APEX, to use Smash lingo. Or, EpicMafia is the GameFAQs of the mafia world, whereas we'll be aiming to be the NeoGAF. :p

I got called a noob too in my first lobby lol

Either way, this will be fun.

pants

it's cool, I'll have fun either way haha

Yeah its quite fun, my first time playing I got lynched because i too openly threatened (bluffed) another played. I was the doctor, all the villagers were pissed as hell at me haha

beta_fuse

I wouldn't mind trying this out. Count me in but don't hate me if I suck, it will be my first time :p

EDIT: Actually nevermind, I would prefer seeing how the first one plays out before joining. Don't want to mess anything up.

Amir0x

Banned
Yeah its quite fun, my first time playing I got lynched because i too openly threatened (bluffed) another played. I was the doctor, all the villagers were pissed as hell at me haha

Haha, that's not too dissimilar to what happened to this kingsomething guy that was in the room I won.

I went in and I was totally laying on the mud. I was all "Hello fair citizens of this village, how are you on this lovely Autumn day?"

The second I said that the king guy was like "Ami is mafia. Vote Ami."

I was like "I am OFFENDED, sir. Offended! I am going to issue a retaliatory vote to register my disdain with such baseless accusations!"

Then everybody said "yeah it's King, vote King."

And King was like "wait no I am the cop, I checked Ami and he was Mafia."

King totally got owned, then next round we voted out Jamaica and won the round.

Then Jamaica was so pretty annoyed. "I...trusted you! What the hell!"

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't mind trying this out. Count me in but don't hate me if I suck, it will be my first time :p

Don't worry! I'm aware this will be a lot of people's first game, so when sign-ups are done, I'll try and email everyone very clear instructions and allow for 2-3 days for clarifications to be asked before beginning.

Kalor

I'd be interested in playing some mafia. I've played it with some friends once so I have a good grasp on how to play it.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Also, within reason, given this is the first one and all, if you know anyone else on GAF who you think might be interested, it might be quite nice to drop them a little PM telling them about this. :)

I used to play a lot of mafia back in the day both on irc and in a couple forums. Mother 3 mafia on starmen.net was AMAZING.

Its been a long time. Im in for some Mafia-GAF.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

EDIT: Actually nevermind, I would prefer seeing how the first one plays out before joining. Don't want to mess anything up.

Aww, you should still go for it! The fun thing about mafia is that it's quite a kind game to new players - people tend not to suspect you when you're new. You should definitely just leap on in still.

pants

Haha, that's not too dissimilar to what happened to this kingsomething guy that was in the room I won.

I went in and I was totally laying on the mud. I was all "Hello fair citizens of this village, how are you on this lovely Autumn day?"

The second I said that the king guy was like "Ami is mafia. Vote Ami."

I was like "I am OFFENDED, sir. Offended! I am going to issue a retaliatory vote to register my disdain with such baseless accusations!"

Then everybody said "yeah it's King, vote King."

And King was like "wait no I am the cop, I checked Ami and he was Mafia."

King totally got owned, then next round we voted out Jamaica and won the round.

Then Jamaica was so pretty annoyed. "I...trusted you! What the hell!"
Classic mafia.

Never give people an excuse to vote you at the start when no one knows whom to vote for lol

VOTE: johnnyquicknives

uhoh

pop-ink-csa-images-man-with-mouth-zipped-shut.jpg

Yup, I've been in games where the main mode of communication is by PM, but I personally like the idea of the Mafia getting an offsite Message Board or perhaps IRC to communicate. This is how the two seperate mafia's did things in Mother 3 mafia, and it made it very easy for everyone in the group to stay on the same page and communicate.

Another thing I learned from Mother 3 mafia, whoever is organizing this game, definitely make sure that you get the roles more or less figured out BEFORE the interested parties are all together. I remember the main bad thing that happened in that game was that the organizer didn't have everything in place by the time all the roles filled up, and it took about a month for the game to actually start. Since this was on a non mafia board with many new players, and just many players in general (it was like 40-50 people across two towns that merged together in the tail end of the game), a decent chunk of people had to be replaced before things even really began. Throw in an inactive town and the mafia was able to clean up before the merge without a single death on their side...it was pathetic. Now granted, I was on that mafia myself so I still enjoyed myself, but overall, as fun as that game was it was really sloppy.

I just hope OP is experienced with wrangling larger mafia games together. We're at 16 which isn't bad, but those experiences showed me how tough it can be to manage and balance 35+.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
When is this going to start by the way? Need to know when I should be around

I'll finish sign-ups next Tuesday, then let everyone know their role and so on and given 3 days for people to confirm and so on. Ideally, we'll start not next Monday, but the one after.

Well I certainly appreciate this game moving forward so swiftly. I look forward to whatever scenarios and roles you have for us. The I won't have to eat you, Crab.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Yup, I've been in games where the main mode of communication is by PM, but I personally like the idea of the Mafia getting an offsite Message Board or perhaps IRC to communicate. This is how the two seperate mafia's did things in Mother 3 mafia, and it made it very easy for everyone in the group to stay on the same page and communicate.

Another thing I learned from Mother 3 mafia, whoever is organizing this game, definitely make sure that you get the roles more or less figured out BEFORE the interested parties are all together. I remember the main bad thing that happened in that game was that the organizer didn't have everything in place by the time all the roles filled up, and it took about a month for the game to actually start. Since this was on a non mafia board with many new players, and just many players in general (it was like 40-50 people across two towns that merged together in the tail end of the game), a decent chunk of people had to be replaced before things even really began. Throw in an inactive town and the mafia was able to clean up before the merge without a single death on their side...it was pathetic. Now granted, I was on that mafia myself so I still enjoyed myself, but overall, as fun as that game was it was really sloppy.

I just hope OP is experienced with wrangling larger mafia games together. We're at 16 which isn't bad, but those experiences showed me how tough it can be to manage and balance 35+.

I've run my largest game at around ~50 people, so hopefully this will go well, it'd be a little embarrassing if it didn't. :p I'm conscious of the fact this will be the first GAF game, so my intent is to move with pace and keep people sticking around. Sign-ups will shut Tuesday, and I will PM everyone who signed up their roles and further information, and ask for a confirmation email. If some people fail to confirm, I will have to try and look for replacement players - which means it is important that if you sign up you actually do participate, or it makes life more difficult for everyone.

I'm not expecting more than 30 players for this at a stretch, sign-ups have already slowed noticeably since the first day and if we go a full day without anyone extra signing up, I may end it ahead of time to keep the pace going. Obviously, I can't plan a specific set-up in advance with no knowledge of how many players I'll end up having, but I have pre-written the role PMs I intend to use, so it's just a matter of fitting something together that works then sending out the information.

Palmer_v1

Everyone that's participating should subscrbe to this thread, and watch for PMs. Will make everyone's life easier.

I'm a villager

I want to sign up, But I want to make sure I can participate.

How long will rounds last (for example: live in 5 minute increments or over the course of an hour or so)? will actions be done via PM to you and discussions occurring in thread?

So sign me up. I think this will be a lot of fun.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I want to sign up, But I want to make sure I can participate.

How long will rounds last (for example: live in 5 minute increments or over the course of an hour or so)? will actions be done via PM to you and discussions occurring in thread?

So sign me up. I think this will be a lot of fun.

How long phases take is dependent on how many players we end up having. The more players there are, the more discussion time is needed before people feel comfortable making a decision. If we get to 26 players, I may stop accepting new sign-ups and just accept people to a waiting list to act as replacements. At 27 players, one "day phase" is going to be about 8 real life days, and one "night phase" about 2 real life days; if we don't get that far, it may be shorter.

In terms of your commitment, if you are a town player you will probably want to make an average of at least around 1-2 posts a day. Posting every day is not necessary or even always useful, so don't worry if you are away for a brief period of time, say, 2-3 days, although letting everyone know before hand. However, a general theme of inactivity is not helpful for other town players. Unless you do not post at all in a given phase, I won't do anything, but if you only post a bit and seem to be lurking, then other players will probably deal with you themselves.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
how would this work in a forum setting? Spoiler tags? PMs?

All town players will chat in this thread; outside communication about the game is forbidden unless instructed otherwise. Obviously, I can't enforce this rule so it's largely good faith, but in all honesty it's unlikely to advantage you in any way and may even disadvantage you, so there's reason for you not to do it outside sportsmanship.

Players who are allowed covert communication (mafia, and potentially some town power roles) will be given a secret third-party site to communicate on. This is so a) I can observe their communications in my role as moderator, and b) so that we can share it at the end for some fun. :p

Actions need to be PM'd to me.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Count me in. I play social Mafia weekly.

I'm in! I just have to read through the post.

Count me in! Was almost the only game I played in starcraft 2 :D

Sounds like fun. Sign me up.

Ok yeah sure I'll get involved

I'm in. Sign me up.

I am totally in if there's still space.

You're all in. Note that this takes our player count to 23. There are 4 slots still free, after that I will still take sign-ups, but you go on the waiting list. With 27 players, the chance that at least 1 or 2 people fail to show up is quite high, so being early on the waiting list means you have a very good chance to still participate.

kingkitty

You're all in. Note that this takes our player count to 23. There are 4 slots still free, after that I will still take sign-ups, but you go on the waiting list. With 27 players, the chance that at least 1 or 2 people fail to show up is quite high, so being early on the waiting list means you have a very good chance to still participate.

I would like to play.

I used to play Mafia back in my nerdy high school tennis squad days.

Karkador

Banned
I'm surprised that so many people here have played some form of this game. I need to see more of you in the board gaming thread!

Top Bottom