• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Resident Evil 7 have any form of Sony exclusivity?

Nibel

In Japan? Probably.

Worldwide? Nah, it's their biggest console franchise afaik.

But a PS4 exclusive RE7 that is not shit would be a huge gain for Sony.

Ugh not this nonsense again...sony can spend billions in R&D, in making new products every year, they spent billions alone building the Ps4 before launch, yet you think they cannot pay for 1 game being exclusive?? Come on.

In theory yes. But the gaming division has a certain budget to stick to, and Sony going out and spending 500 million to secure RE7 is going out of their way to spend a ton of money they probably can't afford to spend on their current situation.

And then there's also the argument if an exclusive mainline RE is even worth the money. Will it fine Sony a larger userbase? Big enough to make the investment worthwhile? Or would any lost Xbox owners just go to a different IP featuring zombies?

Miles X

"Thinking about the Street Fighter deal and how that may kickstart a new collaboration between Sony and Capcom"

Like Dead Rising with Microsoft and MonHun with Nintendo??

No. Don't take this SF deal as some sort of new age Capcom-Sony partnership.

Only way anyone is getting RE exclusive is if they write a big fat cheque, and we know which company likes doing that and is in better shape to do so.

AmuroChan

Ugh not this nonsense again...sony can spend billions in R&D, in making new products every year, they spent billions alone building the Ps4 before launch, yet you think they cannot pay for 1 game being exclusive?? Come on.

Not that they cannot, but they wouldn't budget that kind of money for a single 3rd party exclusive that is of RE's scale. You can't equate R&D costs for the PS4 to moneyhatting a 3rd party game. RE is already well-associated with PlayStation and will no doubt sell best on the PS4, what is Sony's incentive to spend tens of millions to secure it as an exclusive? Just because Sony spent billions on R&D for the PS4 doesn't mean they have billions of cash sitting around that they can just spend on exclusives. If that was the case, that's more than enough money to secure exclusivity for basically every big 3rd party franchise out there.

Lynn616

I understand that. Point being if you go MS then you essentially give up all sales for an entire region (Japan), not to mention worldwide the PS4 has about a 2:1 sales advantage. Therefore, MS would have to give you a much bigger moneyhat than Sony.

Maybe MS would think RE would get people to buy the X1 in Japan. Maybe they would and Japan sales would not be lost.

Syntsui

?? How can you even prove this, and again, sales show which one is bigger. If one outsells the other, then one is bigger.

Bigger may not be the word here, RE sells more and makes more money, yes. SF is just iconic, pretty much everyone knows who Ryu is, knows what a hadouken is etc. Let's not extend this further, I think you understood what I meant.

Not that they cannot, but they wouldn't budget that kind of money for a single 3rd party exclusive that is of RE's scale. You can't equate R&D costs for the PS4 to moneyhatting a 3rd party game. RE is already well-associated with PlayStation and will no doubt sell best on the PS4, what is Sony's incentive to spend tens of millions to secure it as an exclusive? Just because Sony spent billions on R&D for the PS4 doesn't mean they have billions of cash sitting around that they can just spend on exclusives. If that was the case, that's more than enough money to secure exclusivity for basically every big 3rd party franchise out there.

How did they afford gaikai, SF then?? I am sorry but this is hogwash. MS has money to secure any third party exclusive yet they don't, so that doesn't help your argument. If sony cannot afford RE then they may as well fold up now......They can it is just not necessary.

Caronte

You shouldn't mention the Dead Rising 3 exclusivity deal because it's a very different scenario. That was a deal made BEFORE launch. Now, PS4 is dominating WW sales (and let's not forget Japan). Capcom would be really stupid if they made RE7 exclusive to Xbone, even if it's just for a few months.

Seanspeed

Banned
"Thinking about the Street Fighter deal and how that may kickstart a new collaboration between Sony and Capcom"

Like Dead Rising with Microsoft and MonHun with Nintendo??

No. Don't take this SF deal as some sort of new age Capcom-Sony partnership.
Seriously.

Just wishful thinking for some people.

JimiNutz

Banned
It could just as easily be exclusive to Microsoft

True.
Its not like Capcom loves Sony. They will go where the money is.
If MS think RE is a worthwhile investment they could easily offer Capcom a boat load of money.

I don't think MS will, especially since the last RE was so poor but its not like Capcom are against making exclusives for MS either...

Majmun

X1 exclusivity would kill the franchise in Japan.

Capcom can do pretty stupid things sometimes, but not that stupid.

No it is not...RE is bigger NOW, it outsells several SF games combined. Sales show which franchise is bigger, anything else is spin.

...What? I already said that it is the biggest franchise because of how many sales it has. The reason it does is because the franchise has name recognition as well.

Thinking about the Street Fighter deal and how that may kickstart a new collaboration between Sony and Capcom. Or is Resident Evil too big of a brand to be on a single platform? Judging by Capcom's focus on sales numbers and how Resident Evil 6 didn't sell as well as they wanted it to, is it feasible that they would go with either a timed or full exclusivity deal?

Nope. The Street Fighter exclusivity deal happened because I don't care about the franchise, while the Tomb Raider deal happened because I did care about it.

krizzx

well REsident Evil 4 was gamecube exclusive for a while, so this might happen with RE 7 as well

For it to be the same thing the game would have to be intended to be permanently exclusive only for execs to go over the makers head and push an enhanced version onto another platform.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I don't see it happening. Sony generally doesn't spend money on exclusive deals. Perhaps MS could go for it. MS will have to pay more and more to get (timed) exclusivity to big titles though and there may come a moment when upper management starts to wonder whether it's such a good idea to pour money into a division that's not vital at all to MS' plans for the future.

AmuroChan

How did they afford gaikai, SF then?? I am sorry but this is hogwash. MS has money to secure any third party exclusive yet they don't, so that doesn't help your argument. If sony cannot afford RE then they may as well fold up now......They can it is just not necessary.

Actually, you've made my argument for me. Why do you think MS doesn't secure every 3rd party exclusives? Do you know how budgeting works in a large corporation? Do you think that just because MS the parent company has a ton of cash that Phil Spencer can spend however much of it as he desires on the XB division?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I think REmake would be exclusive if RE7 was gonna be.

Actually, you've made my argument for me. Why do you think MS doesn't secure every 3rd party exclusives? Do you know how budgeting works in a large corporation? Do you think that just because MS the parent company has a ton of cash that Phil Spencer can spend however much of it as he desires on the XB division?

It did nothing for your argument....Sony can buy Re if they wanted too, there is no need too however...How did they buy gaikai, SF and fund bloodborne?? Sony is not a tiny corp they still have money.....these sony cannot afford to posts are grounded in dilusion. Just like MS can, but won't and don;t normally. You never said anything about budgets which you have no idea how they are set, you flat out said sony cannot afford too...total BS.

Here's hoping Sony moneyhats Capcom and makes it Playstation 4 exclusive that way no compromises in the hardware. With that said, Capcom is no kingmaker.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I don't care if it only comes out on the Nokia N-Gage, I just want it to be not-shit.

AmuroChan

It did nothing for your argument....Sony can buy Re if they wanted too, there is no need too however...How did they buy gaikai, SF and fund bloodborne?? Sony is not a tiny corp they still have money.....these sony cannot afford to posts are grounded in dilusion. Just like MS can, but won't and don;t normally. You never said anything about budgets which you have no idea how they are set, you flat out said sony cannot afford too...total BS.

Concession accepted.

News Bot

Banned
Also worth noting that the series has never had any period of exclusivity in its entire history. There has never been a single contractual obligation to keep any game on any platform. The series had one "agreement" with Nintendo, but this was nothing more than a handshake. CAPCOM wasn't obligated or bound by it, and they went back on it almost immediately when it became clear the GameCube was killing their sales potential.

CAPCOM develop a game on a single system and then port from there later if the game is a success, which conversely results in a cheaper budget, more time on the original game and cheaper ports later, often outsourced. It's a very simple strategy. I don't think there is any chance of any company buying the series. It is CAPCOM's flagship and they won't give control of it over to anyone.

Shredderi

I can't see it happening. DLC etc. maybe but they will not want to limit one of their surefire sellers that they were going to make regardless of sony's support. SF5 deal might be more about sony actually helping with the development. Didn't someone at capcom say at one time that they couldn't do SF5 at the time because of money? Well anyways I don't think we'll be seeing RE going exclusive just yet.

Top Bottom