• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF was right; ZombiU is legit.

Majestad

Banned
I've seen a lot of praise for this GAF here on GAF, so I decided to get it from Amazon (it's friggin $14). I've been having a blast so far with it.

I'm early on (about 3 hours in), but this game is definitely impressive. In a way, it reminds me a lot of the original Bioshock, with a fantastic atmosphere and seemingly interesting story. It's pretty scary too, which is something hard to find in a horror game nowadays.

The gameplay is simple, but the mechanics and ideas behind it are something you don't see in games nowadays. This is truly a survival horror game, as you have to be smart with how you use the resources you have and one fuck up you do, it will cost you your life. I just finished a very tense session where I barely made it out alive, and I felt like a badass after a strategy I came up with worked well.

Even the audiovisual presentation has been a pleasant surprise. There are some rough parts in the visuals, but the style and atmosphere are top-notch, and the music and VO are damn good.

Shit guys, you were right saying that this game is a gem. Like I said, I'm still early on (don't spoil anything story related please), but if the game's quality stays like this, it will definitely be one of the absolute must haves of the system.

Nemecyst

It's even better if you play with people in a dark room. Watching your 30yr old friend shit his pants, literally, in front of his girlfriend is a memory I hope to never forget.

DJ_Lae

It's got some problems, but I enjoyed what I played of it. It's definitely got the creepy atmosphere nailed.

Hero

Definitely one of the best modern horror games and it had a lot of really awesome parts and mechanics to go along with it. Would love a sequel that had more fleshed out ideas and less hiccups. Only thing that bothered me was one forced sequence that I felt was a little too trial/error that I don't think belongs in this type of game.

http://allyoucangeek.net/zombiu-review/

Plugging my review from around launch.

All in all, Zombi U is an incredibly satisfying game for not only survival horror and roguelike fans but is perhaps the best demonstration of what the Game Pad is capable of for a mainstream, core game experience. It is certainly a unique and innovative game that despite some rough spots that can be chalked up to being a launch title is a game that you should play if you desire a challenge or immersion. It is truly a memorable title and one that deserves to have all of the ideas fleshed out and expanded upon in a sequel. Until then, Zombi U stands as one of the best survival horror video games ever released.

Persona7

Banned
I played it before but I never finished it at a friends. I have a sealed copy around here somewhere. I'll start it up after I finish the three games i'm playing right now.

I know one thing...

It's damn sure a MUCH better game and survival horror than The Evil fucking Within as far as I'm concerned. That game had it's moments, and it's certainly decent, but it doesn't hold a candle to Zombi U. Maybe Alien is on point, I still have yet to play it.

ZombiU is one of those games where you enter a room, and immediately close the door behind you.
You better, unless you want your save data wiped clean. Shit feels awful :(

delta25

Banned
Two words of advice, upgrade your pistol as fast as you can as pistol ammo is the most common threw out the game and combining flares with either a molly or a nade will help you deal with large groups of infected. Oh and one more thing, stock up on shotgun rounds for near the end of the game...trust me.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I love this game, I need to start playing it again since I never actually finished it.

Ditto! Secret shame of mine. I'm like ten hours in and I even played a bunch of multiplayer, but never finished.

These threads keep popping up and I'm sure it'll convince me though!

It's a gem of a game, one of the secrets of this gen

shmoglish

I did lose my best charakter while I was drunk and could not get my bag. Now it is on top of my pile of shame.

But yes, the game is great.

If I ever get a Wii U, this would be the first game I try.
I know one thing...

It's damn sure a MUCH better game and survival horror than The Evil fucking Within as far as I'm concerned. That game had it's moments, and it's certainly decent, but it doesn't hold a candle to Zombi U. Maybe Alien is on point, I still have yet to play it.

Alien Isolation is brill, get on that.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I thought the concept was great, but the God awfully simplistic melee combat killed the game for me. Maybe I'll give it another shot down the road.

Maybe ill buy it if its cheap at Gamestop. Ive heard mixed things though.

One of my favorite games this generation for me. I really don't understand the negative reviews. Its true survival horror as in you can't just shoot everything that moves like in RE 5&6. Sometimes you need to use strategy to try and take on zombies one at a time and sometimes you need to run like hell. I loved finding my former self and killing myself to get my stuff back.

Marcus

It's even better if you play with people in a dark room. Watching your 30yr old friend shit his pants, literally, in front of his girlfriend is a memory I hope to never forget.

Uhh.. please tell me you're using the word "literally" figuratively. LOL

Aces&Eights

I can't say I didn't want to stop. Sometimes it was to the point of being a bit uncomfortable due to the constant tension, so I totally understand lol

Bought it at launch for 60 bucks. Loved every penny I spent on it.

Oh, I wanted it to stop, all right, lol. I stopped it right there for good. Just looked it up on youtube and it was where
you go through the nursery then downstairs and that thing screams and your map goes out all the while childrens music plays....NOPE.

Easily one of the greatest horror games ever. It's so refreshing to see a survival horror game that's an actual survival horror game, and not some boring walk 'em up.

Nemecyst

Uhh.. please tell me you're using the word "literally" figuratively. LOL

Nah, we made him buy a new couch cushion after that event. Too be fair, she pissed herself laughing during a Smash session last Saturday, so there's that. They will be sitting on the floor from now on. Mario-branded diapers should be up for Nintendo QoL.

Oh, I wanted it to stop, all right, lol. I stopped it right there for good. Just looked it up on youtube and it was where
you go through the nursery then downstairs and that thing screams and your map goes out all the while childrens music plays....NOPE.
Ahhhhh yes. Fuck that part indeed. That was stressful :(

It's a great game, I liken it to being the Demon's/Dark Souls of Zombie survival horror games.

It's actually pretty fucking scary, and I love being in London.

Makes me really hope that ZombiU 2 rumor comes true. If only the first game had better controls (the dual analog felt way too wobbly) and more weapon selections and a better dying mechanic, it would have been one of best games I've ever played.

It was fun and suspenseful, I liked the use of the gamepad a lot.

Unfortunately mine hit with a glitch and just froze, no restart or anything seemed to fix it so I couldn't continue, was pretty pissed off.

SRTtoZ

Even if the game is good, can we agree that it has the worst name ever? Sounds like a very generic game (I know its not, but it sounds like it is).

tesqui

I loved all of what I played of it! Up until I got killed and failed to grab all my stuff halfway through the game. Then I completely lost interest.. I still want to pick it up again in the future though.

Marcus

Nah, we made him buy a new couch cushion after that event. Too be fair, she pissed herself laughing during a Smash session last Saturday, so there's that. They will be sitting on the floor from now on. Mario-branded diapers should be up for Nintendo QoL.

i cant stop laughing

Top Bottom