• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Star Fox tidbits(Miyamoto/iJustine).He is working on it directly, Amiibo support.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I'm ablsolutely PRO in using the gamepad for gyro+second screen scheme in a Starfox shooter, honsetly.
I'd be also very disappointed in eventually seeing them developing Metroid U without using the Gamepad as a scanner, for example. c'mon!

Can we expect a Nintendo Direct in December/January with Star Fox info?
Nintendo has been posting two Star Fox related pictures on their Console Gaming facebook page:

Before Shigeru Miyamoto heads out to meet fans in Los Angeles, he has breakfast with a cup of coffee and the company of an amiibo.
1506655_761917600542782_3045000573880879664_n.jpg

Can you guess which amiibo Mr. Miyamoto took with him as he barrel rolled through his recent adventure in Los Angeles?
10849792_762257503842125_6876366751811214512_n.jpg

MagnesD3

Star Fox threads are some of the worse discussions about an upcoming game, with all the preemptive bitching and negativity. There are some Star Fox fans that practically don't want a new Star Fox game. They wan't some kind of a remaster and Miyamoto not part of it.

But the point is that Star Fox U exists solely because it's Miyamoto's bet on Gamepad usage, not because it's some big seller franchise. Otherwise Star Fox would practically be a dead franchise. I think they can afford to experiment with Star Fox because there is nothing to lose practically.

On the other hand, there is no bad 1st party game on Wii U, so your negativity is unwarranted.

Starfox actually sells pretty well. Its no mario kart but the game always sells, even the crappy games.

And when you say there is nothing to lose with experimenting its pretty clear that you havent kept up with the series or really arent that big a fan because adventures, assault, and command were all chalked full of bad "experiments". (Even though adventures is a good zelda game.)

Starfox fans want a starfox sequel that stays true to 64. Its okay to experiment if it actually adds value to the experience but the fanbase as a whole are done with just gimmicks...

You could also technically use dpads instead of sticks for most games, but why would you?

The hate of the gamepad is mind boggling for me.

I absolutely do not hate the GamePad. But -- and I've been consistent on this from the beginning -- I think one of its best features is the ability to play games off-TV. When UI implementations are designed that necessitate both screens having unique displays, it obviously follows that off-TV isn't a possibility anymore. And mind you, that's fine if the game has some great, innovative systems in place that take advantage of everything the GamePad + TV flexibility has to offer. But obviously, whether or not it's worth it is up to the end user.

From where I'm sitting? ZombiU could absolutely work on one screen. I'm not saying that compromises wouldn't be made. I'm not saying that the product as shipped shouldn't still be the default. But I am saying that I think it could totally work with completely standard controls on one screen. "But why sacrifice your design?" Because some people -- i.e. me -- actually like the flexibility of TV OR off-TV mode. After all, it's one of the big selling points of the hardware. And having played ZombiU, the novelty of attempting to interweave all of the possibilities afforded by the big screen DS experience don't outweigh the loss of jettisoning off-TV as an option.

Edit: And the argument "You could also technically use dpads instead of sticks for most games, but why would you?" also seems really silly. There are a number of games where I've used the d-pad in lieu of analog. It depends on which seems more precise. If the game needs to map commands to the directions of the d-pad, then so be it. But if it's just sitting there unused, I don't know why you wouldn't allow the option to use either the d-pad or the left stick for movement.

ALM5252

I really want Assaults multiplayer mode for the new Star Fox game. If they don't wanna include that into the main story mode / missions, atleast let it be a sub mode in Splitscreen / online. :)

Wonderful 101 had a shitty compromise in juggling gamepad vs tv displays directly onto the gamepad, either by cycling or having 'windows.'

I'm sure the same concession could be made here if it's really a gamebreaking issue.

Servbot24

Banned
You could also technically use dpads instead of sticks for most games, but why would you?

There are plenty of games where I prefer the d-pad.

And as Steve mentioned, if the gamepad screen is unique it means I can't play off TV.

Plus it's honestly a bit of a bother to have to look back and forth between two screens, especially in a high speed action game (which I hope Star Fox will be).

hatchx

Banned
I absolutely do not hate the GamePad. But -- and I've been consistent on this from the beginning -- I think one of its best features is the ability to play games off-TV. When UI implementations are designed that necessitate both screens having unique displays, it obviously follows that off-TV isn't a possibility anymore. And mind you, that's fine if the game has some great, innovative systems in place that take advantage of everything the GamePad + TV flexibility has to offer. But obviously, whether or not it's worth it is up to the end user.

We shouldn't rule out the possibility that a button prompt could 'swap' the screens, allowing for Pro Controller support and off-play.

It's still unlikely, but we'll have to see.

MagnesD3

I'm still sad it's looking like platinum isn't helping Nintendo develop the game since platinum understands action. I feel platinum is who starfox needs.

beta_fuse

Soooo I'm really excited for this game but the fact that it might not support off-tv play is a bit of a bummer. Nonetheless, I love me some Star Fox and I have full confidence that Miyamoto will do a magical job with it.

thisiswhatever

Neo Member

Mario Kart DS (to this day my favorite MK) is my proof that better games can be made using inferior (or different/older) control input methods.

However, I side with you on being excited for gyro + different perspectives on TV and gamepad for nU Starfox

We shouldn't rule out the possibility that a button prompt could 'swap' the screens, allowing for Pro Controller support and off-play.

It's still unlikely, but we'll have to see.

Right. Again, I don't want to sound down on Star Fox. After all, I don't have much to go on here. I'm more than willing to take a wait-and-see approach to see what Miyamoto is cooking up here. I'm just saying that my default stance is that any sort of dual screen interface needs to be damned good if we're losing off-TV as a result. And, despite it often being touted as the gold standard for how to do a Wii U game right, I think ZombiU would ultimately work just fine on one screen with some minor compromises. It's way too early for me to assume that holds for Star Fox, though.

Peltz

So, based on my memory, back during the demo, controls were mapped the following way:

Left stick controls direction/flight/pitch,

Right stick controls barrel rolls, summersaults and other dodge type moves

Shoulder buttons control Bombs/Projectiles,

And you move the Gamepad/cockpit view to aim your guns so that you can theoretically fly left while aiming right or vice versa.

My sense is that they're going for this type of feeling with the Gamepad's motion controls:
DVD4-weaponrange-002.jpg

If you remember that scene in Star Wars, the turrets operated with a lot of swiveling and movement. I actually can see them making this feel really good on the Gamepad.

But, I think everyone is underestimating the right thumbstick, or rather the ability to fly with two sticks in conjunction. I could see being able to pull of some very complex maneuvers with two sticks dedicated simply to movement without sacrificing an independent aiming mechanism which will be handled by motion controls.

I would like the arwings to be agile enough so that you're flipping all around the screen at super fast speeds and aiming accordingly with the Gamepad. I could see this being a very fast paced game of cat and mouse.... like Kid Icarus Uprising on steroids.

Imagine being able to pitch left while shooting in several different directions at different targets while also doing a summersault/dodge move to evade enemy projectiles. If this game is fast paced, then we may have a game for adrenaline junkies on our hands.

I have high hopes for this game.

emag

Starfox fans want a starfox sequel that stays true to 64. Its okay to experiment if it actually adds value to the experience but the fanbase as a whole are done with just gimmicks...

I want a sequel that stays true to Starfox proper, not to the N64 bastardization with its gimmicky vehicles, shitty storytelling, and garbage-tier "music".

MagnesD3

I want a sequel that stays true to Starfox proper, not to the N64 bastardization with its gimmicky vehicles, shitty storytelling, and garbage-tier "music".

right.....

a16c51ce3335db78403e4c886b28d2e4.gif

the sarcasm... I hope.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/20208/miyamoto-talks-star-foxs-dwindling-sales

Also this article from Emily Rogers is very good in describing what's up with the series and why it's not that relevant anymore.

So pretty much this the only chance for a Star Fox game to exist.

Im aware that the sales have been declining each game but its only because the quality has declined with each game, otherwise it would probably sell like 64 did.

Hopefully Miyamoto will perform a miracle and make a good game but from past experiences it looks to me like nintendo has just been confused for years on what to do with starfox and its baffling to me since its pretty clear how to handle that franchise.

rhandino

Banned
Also this article from Emily Rogers is very good in describing what's up with the series and why it's not that relevant anymore.
This article is sooo good, thanks... one thing that I coincide with the autor is this:

The main story modes of “Star Fox” and “Star Fox 64″ didn’t last much longer than two hours, and they were both originally released at the price of $60-$70. The best Star Fox games were designed as short games that players would replay multiple times to unlock everything. Nowadays, too many gamers care more about a game’s length instead of it’s replay value, and today’s gaming media would absolutely crucify a $50-$60 Star Fox game that is shorter than five hours long without some extremely solid online multi-player.

This game I think will be lambasted for his price/lenght ratio even if the replay value good, and that is truly a shame, a recent example of this could the comments and opinions about Captain Toad: Treasure Trackers from some people and media.

DrWong

So, based on my memory, back during the demo, controls were mapped the following way:

Left stick controls direction/flight/pitch,

Right stick controls barrel rolls, summersaults and other dodge type moves

Shoulder buttons control Bombs/Projectiles,

And you move the Gamepad/cockpit view to aim your guns so that you can theoretically fly left while aiming right or vice versa.

My sense is that they're going for this type of feeling with the Gamepad's motion controls:
DVD4-weaponrange-002.jpg

If you remember that scene in Star Wars, the turrets operated with a lot of swiveling and movement. I actually can see them making this feel really good on the Gamepad.

But, I think everyone is underestimating the right thumbstick, or rather the ability to fly with two sticks in conjunction. I could see being able to pull of some very complex maneuvers with two sticks dedicated simply to movement without sacrificing an independent aiming mechanism which will be handled by motion controls.

I would like the arwings to be agile enough so that you're flipping all around the screen at super fast speeds and aiming accordingly with the Gamepad. I could see this being a very fast paced game of cat and mouse.... like Kid Icarus Uprising on steroids.

Imagine being able to pitch left while shooting in several different directions at different targets while also doing a summersault/dodge move to evade enemy projectiles. If this game is fast paced, then we may have a game for adrenaline junkies on our hands.

I have high hopes for this game.

Ok thanks.That's intersting and would be cool. The KI Uprisinf of the U, I like it.

Right. Again, I don't want to sound down on Star Fox. After all, I don't have much to go on here. I'm more than willing to take a wait-and-see approach to see what Miyamoto is cooking up here. I'm just saying that my default stance is that any sort of dual screen interface needs to be damned good if we're losing off-TV as a result. And, despite it often being touted as the gold standard for how to do a Wii U game right, I think ZombiU would ultimately work just fine on one screen with some minor compromises. It's way too early for me to assume that holds for Star Fox, though.

Whoaaaaa that one feature of the game made ZombiU more than just an average zombie game so that is a bold claim.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Im aware that the sales have been declining each game but its only because the quality has declined with each game, otherwise it would probably sell like 64 did.

You haven't read the other article

Hopefully Miyamoto will perform a miracle and make a good game but from past experiences it looks to me like nintendo has just been confused for years on what to do with starfox and its baffling to me since its pretty clear how to handle that franchise.

What would you do?

hachi

Banned
Miyamoto's input ruined the last Paper Mario. This isn't good.

It was a game perfectly tailored to the handheld. Probably my favorite use of 3D diorama graphics with stages you can complete in small bites. Sticker management is more fun for quick play than traditional RPG elements would be.

stickerstar makes super paper mario look like the game of the decade

Super Paper Mario was so badly paced and dull at times that I still haven't gotten around to finishing it, and have nothing but annoyed memories of traversing the hub world. Sticker Star brought back to life a franchise that was completely dead to me after SPM. Not in the way fans of the originals may have wanted, but in a way that made sense for the new hardware.

thisiswhatever

Neo Member

What would you do?

Stay in arwing, on-rails for 75% of single-player, with some on-foot/landmaster (think assault but with well-done controls) to shake up the pace. No free-roam arwing sections except for boss fights. (local and online, also split-screen online [with one friend a la MK])

Assault style multi-player with online (choose between arwing, tanks, on-foot, combinations of all three)

Local co-op for missions with arwings, co-op boss mode.

DLC maps, missions, weapons

Amiibo support for special-designed ships/arwings (cosmetic only)

That's what I personally want.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
Ew. No. No. No. No. No.

If it's not playable with a Pro Controller I'm out.

Yeah, given the widespread rejection of the flawed concept that is the gamepad, I find it bizarre that Nintendo is still trying to push immersion-breaking gameplay like this. The market has already responded to the idea of looking back and forth between the main screen and the controller - the response was overwhelmingly "nah, not interested".

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Stay in arwing, on-rails for 75% of single-player, with some on-foot/landmaster (think assault but with well-done controls) to shake up the pace. No free-roam arwing sections except for boss fights. (local and online, also split-screen online [with one friend a la MK])

Assault style multi-player with online (choose between arwing, tanks, on-foot, combinations of all three)

Local co-op for missions with arwings, co-op boss mode.

DLC maps, missions, weapons

Amiibo support for special-designed ships/arwings (cosmetic only)

That's what I personally want.

That sounds nice. How long should the SP be?

Draft

Everytime I read hate on StarFox 64 I think what the fuck?! That is a great game. One of my all time favorites.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
Eh, I still don't think there was anything that couldn't have been done otherwise. Overlays and a view swap button could achieve the same mechanics. Difference would have been you wouldn't have to look back and forth. That's not to say it wasn't neat, just that it doesn't have to be mandatory. I like options, which is something Nintendo has been very on top of with most of their games so far.

So yeah, I'd love to have a Pro Controller or Wiimote/nunchuck option if possible. I don't really see anything in this game being something that absolutely requires the gamepad, but we'll see.

There wasn't. Dead Space did it first without the need for a second screen.

Yeah, given the widespread rejection of the flawed concept that is the gamepad, I find it bizarre that Nintendo is still trying to push immersion-breaking gameplay like this. The market has already responded to the idea of looking back and forth between the main screen and the controller - the response was overwhelmingly "nah, not interested".

To be fair though, they just sort of abandoned the idea. At launch there was basically NintendoLand and ZombiU doing anything meaningful with it, and then from there basically nothing. That's why I was always kind of surprised that the idea of selling a GamePad-less SKU was always summarily rejected. Like, I remember Iwata talking about how they needed to really showcase the GamePad around holiday of last year, and then what were the big releases? Mario 3D World, Fucking Donkey Kong, Mario Kart, and Smash. All great games, but all games that did next to nothing with the GamePad outside of offer off-TV play. But it looks like Miyamoto is giving it another go in terms of showcasing just what the GamePad affords in terms of unique game design.

MagnesD3

What would you do?

I would make starfox into a core franchise by keeping its arcadey vibe but make it more like a triple A game by putting some love, money and time into it. My goal would be a natural evolution of a game that has awesome characters, action oriented gameplay and takes place in space.

I would have the game be centered around space shooting/bosses (like 64) when traveling to different planets or even just flying on certain planets and include ground segments with third person shooting (mass effect style) and action style (dmc/bayonetta) combat. You get to select your other 3 team members before entering a new mission on the great fox, each team member has their own perks, stats and abilities that can all be upgraded overtime with currency on the great fox. On the ground
you choose 2 team mates to help you for these types of missions while the 3rd team mate is air support.

I would make story a huge focus, as well as character development. The game would be quite lengthy and have alot of different paths to take and span over two solar systems. After you beat story mode the first time through you unlock Star Wolf story mode which is the same story but from star wolfs team perspective which would be an entirely different game overall. After both are beaten a true final ending is unlocked which would close the entire story of the game.

There would also be a huge focus on online multiplayer and co op. With multiplayer you could either player the ground style matches or dog fight matches in the air or just score battles. There would be an upgrade and ranking system with the whole online shebang with tons of different playable characters with different stats and abilities.

Of course Nintendo will never do this because A its expensive and risky and B they have been confused for along time on what to do with the franchise so I doubt they will ever figure out how to evolve correctly.

Ps: There would be a ton of secondary/side missions that appear throughout the story in places that you have been that give you a reason to revisit areas. (so this means new enemies/bosses ect..)

The arcade vibe will be intact throughout thanks to various combo, time, and other types of bonuses that add to your score count overall for a level which in turn evaluates how much gold is earned (their can also be 5 star ratings to show how well you did on a mission or something with various extra objectives you can complete.)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I really hope N pushes the second screen for this, without being afraif of experimentng, especially because I don't want them to eventually miss the chance in a possible metroid to have the scanner on the gamepad just to stick with the more conservatory fans
As in fatal frame, for some games I want them to use the gamepad
I already had and I will have other starfox or metroid game with a classic controller

lol at the last two comments
correctly is what I want, and gimmicks are what I don't want? WTF!?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I would make starfox into a core franchise by keeping its arcadey vibe but make it more like a triple A game by putting some love, money and time into it. My goal would be a natural evolution of a game that has awesome characters, action oriented gameplay and takes place in space.

I would have the game be centered around space shooting/bosses (like 64) when traveling to different planets or even just flying on certain planets and include ground segments with third person shooting (mass effect style) and action style (dmc/bayonetta) combat. You get to select your other 3 team members before entering a new mission on the great fox, each team member has their own perks, stats and abilities that can all be upgraded overtime with currency on the great fox. On the ground
you choose 2 team mates to help you for these types of missions while the 3rd team mate is air support.

I would make story a huge focus, as well as character development. The game would be quite lengthy and have alot of different paths to take and span over two solar systems. After you beat story mode the first time through you unlock Star Wolf story mode which is the same story but from star wolfs team perspective which would be an entirely different game overall. After both are beaten a true final ending is unlocked which would close the entire story of the game.

There would also be a huge focus on online multiplayer and co op. With multiplayer you could either player the ground style matches or dog fight matches in the air or just score battles. There would be an upgrade and ranking system with the whole online shebang with tons of different playable characters with different stats and abilities.

Of course Nintendo will never do this because A its expensive and risky and B they have been confused for along time on what to do with the franchise so I doubt they will ever figure out how to evolve correctly.

Ps: There would be a ton of secondary/ missions that appear throughout the story in places that you have been that give you a reason to revisit areas. (so this means new enemies/bosses ect..)

The arcade vibe will be intact throughout thanks to various combo, time, and other types of bonuses that add to your score count overall for a level which in turn evaluates how much gold is earned (their can also be 5 star ratings to show how well you did on a mission or something with various extra objectives you can complete.)

Are you just describing here Elite: Dangerous meeting Destiny with a story added on top? Because what I'm reading will not make back half of the money invested even if it will sell like MK8.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
There are plenty of games where I prefer the d-pad.

And as Steve mentioned, if the gamepad screen is unique it means I can't play off TV.

Plus it's honestly a bit of a bother to have to look back and forth between two screens, especially in a high speed action game (which I hope Star Fox will be).

I remember when someone on GAF suggested using the gamepad for GTA V during high-speed chases, lol.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
To be fair though, they just sort of abandoned the idea. At launch there was basically NintendoLand and ZombiU doing anything meaningful with it, and then from there basically nothing. That's why I was always kind of surprised that the idea of selling a GamePad-less SKU was always summarily rejected. Like, I remember Iwata talking about how they needed to really showcase the GamePad around holiday of last year, and then what were the big releases? Mario 3D World, Fucking Donkey Kong, Mario Kart, and Smash. All great games, but all games that did next to nothing with the GamePad outside of offer off-TV play. But it looks like Miyamoto is giving it another go in terms of showcasing just what the GamePad affords in terms of unique game design.

Perhaps, but it was a flawed idea from the start. People don't seem interested in looking back and forth. I'm certainly not.

I don't use it myself, but at least off-tv play is an obviously useful feature.

MagnesD3

Are you just describing here Elite: Dangerous meeting Destiny with a story added on top? Because what I'm reading will not make back half of the money invested even if it will sell like MK8.

Not heard of elite dangerous and no it would be nothing like Destiny. Its not like your exploring the entire planet or anything just the segments of the planet pertaining to the story that are set on a linear path like mass effect (when talking ground missions) with possible off branching segments (like gears of war when you choose right or left alleyway). The two solar systems arent huge its just the lylat system and a parallel system. I honestly think the games most expensive part would be making the online work well. I doubt it would be as expensive as your thinking. But it would cost as much as other big name nintendo games so it would cost plenty to be good. Where looking at a possible 50 hour single player (if 100 percented) content here and alot more hours with multiplayer added.

Btw what is elite dangerous?

Update: I looked it up, I can see where you get that vibe, there will be alot of things you can do, think of the great fox as sort of a normandy ship (kinda but its mostly for in game stuff instead of story cept for random dialogue here and there pertaining to the last mission you went on or something.).

PigzFly

-Re-tells the anecdote about the shrine near him (with Torii gates that inspired the gameplay on the first Star Fox) that has a fox as the patron spirit.

Does anyone have more information on this? Sounds like an interesting tidbit.

Edit: I can't watch videos at work, will save for later.

JoeInky

"The game would be quite lengthy"
"Characters would be upgraded over time using currency"

Yeah, no, this is the complete opposite of what a StarFox game should be if you ask me.

The game should be around 3-5 hours to play through one path, 3 main difficulty paths but you can obviously skirt between the three.

Branching paths set in a non-Lylat solar system, or the first half in Lylat and the second half in a new system so we can get some new locations.

80% vehicular, 20% on-foot.

Have 4-5 team members and let you pick 3 for each mission.

Team members have unique perks that start at a base level every time you start a new game but increase in strength the more missions you keep them in your team. No grinding for persistent upgrades.

On foot missions play more like vanquish, fast-paced and with an emphasis on score like the vehicle segments.

Vehicular segments updated to add to the branching system, now letting you choose to deploy in an Arwing, the Landmaster or the Blue Marine depending on whether or not the terrain allows it (as an idea, Solar = Arwing only, Macbeth = Arwing/Landmaster, Zoness = Arwing/Blue Marine, Aquas = Blue Marine only, Enemy base with strong anti-air systems = LandMaster only).
You take the same path through the level but from a different perspective and with different opportunities here and there (i.e deploy in the Blue Marine and you fight submarines and go through an underwater cave, whereas in the Arwing you're fighting battleships and floating bases on the surface).
Some vehicles could also lead you to different paths.

For level design the game should be heavily influenced by corneria in SF64, where to get a good score you had to fly through certain things to make more enemies appear for a higher score.

High emphasis on score with combo chains, bonuses for barrel rolling projectiles, getting more than 3 gold rings, etc.

Keep the banter between characters fun and light hearted.

Online multiplayer can either be similar to assault or be a 4v4 dogfighting mode (StarFox v StarWolf) with different options like deathmatch, base defence, capture the flag, that kind of stuff but hopefully something more appropriate to SF.

Basically just focus on keeping the game short and sweet with lots of different things to do and get better at, even within a single level.

Tom_Cody

Does anyone have more information on this? Sounds like an interesting tidbit.

Edit: I can't watch videos at work, will save for later.
He also talked about it here:

Miyamoto said:
Star Fox has a lot of scenes in which the fighter goes through arches, which reminds one of the gates at Shinto shrines called torii. And torii made me think of the thousands of such gates at Fushimi Inari Taisha. In a prototype, there were lots of scenes like going through there. And when you think of Fushimi Inari, you think of foxes.
http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/starfox/0/2

Good to see they're seemingly going all in with the two screens and motion controls.

Excited to see what they can do with the hardware with no compromises.

Honestly all I've wanted for a long time was Star Fox Assault with about 10 more on-rail levels. Maybe 2 more open levels.

Yeah, I liked Assault. A lot, actually. I even enjoyed the open sections, where you'd swap vehicles and pick up weapons.

I genuinely enjoyed Assault a lot.

Besides, the swapping screens didn't jive with me for Wonderful 101, and I love that game, truly I do. I still want my Kamiya Star Fox. Too bad people bugged him to death over it.

Top Bottom