• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Wii and DS essentials am I missing?

random25

SMT: Strange Journey.

SMTStrangeJourneyJPcover.jpg

EulaCapra

A few third-party titles you might overlook:

Wii:
Let's Tap
Smarty Pants
Boom Blox 1+2
Guilty Party
TV Show King 2

DS:
Okamiden
Picross 3D
Ninja Town
Meteos

G0523

For Wii:

-Bit.Trip Saga
-Kirby's Return to Dreamland (it'll be pricey though)
-Klonoa
-No More Heroes 1 & 2
-Resident Evil 4 (you can play with a GameCube controller on the original Wii)
-Sin & Punishment: Star Successor

leroidys

Some great contributions in here. My absolute must haves are pretty small, as I'm generally not easy to please.

Wii

Sin & Punishment Star Successor - Amazing 3D shooter, and a miracle that it even got made. More like Starfox Successor m I rite?
Zack & Wiki - As an early Wii game, the motion controls at times feel clunky, but it's an absolutely original, fun, entertaining title.
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom - The best fighting game on the system, and the most fun and approachable Capcom fighting game since Rival Schools.
Little Kings Story - Beautiful, charming, fun game, and an overlooked RPG. The Yuri Norstein inspired artstyle and classical music-derived soundtrack are straight after my heart.
Wario Ware Smooth Moves - Came out to mixed reviews, but it's the definitive Wario Ware console experience, and one of the best games in terms of motion control utilization. The best multiplayer game for my money on the system.

There's lots of other great stuff that's certainly must play material if you don't have them on other platforms, such as Resident Evil 4, Metroid Prime Trilogy [1], Twilight Princess, NPC Pikmin 1/2, Xenoblade (coming out for N3DS), and Smash Bros Brawl (if you don't have a Wii U or 3DS for the superior successor).

DS

Pokémon Black/White - The best and freshest Pokémon game since R/B.
Castlevania Order Of Ecclesia - For now, the metroidvanias final form. It's more action oriented than the prior few entries, and has some of the best art of any game ever.
Zelda Spirit Tracks - Tremendously better than Phantom Hourglass. It has perhaps the best set of items in a Zelda game in terms of utilization and distinctiveness. Great graphics, charming plot, fun mechanics, and the perfect amount of content for a handheld Zelda.
Advance Wars Dual Strike - Not as well balanced as other titles in the series perhaps, but it has a tremendous amount of content and never lets up on entertainment.
Rhythm Heaven - The best rhythm game Nintendo has released outside of Japan. Enough said.
Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland - Completely fucking ridiculous, but absolutely hilarious and irresistible. Disclaimer: you essentially have to play it with a pricing FAQ, but it's a very fun and completely unique game. Only released in JP and PAL territories.

I realize that OP has many of these, but thought I would type out my complete must-have list.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
My absolute favorite thing on the Wii besides Sin+Punishment is Zangeki no Reginleiv. If you enjoy EDF-style games you need this in your life and you need it yesterday.

Skyzard

Banned
Mario Strikers is an awesome arcade sport game. Really good.

Kororinpa is good fun, especially with a friend. Same for punchout. But Mario Strikers, damn that's a great play.

I like resident evil 4 on it too.

thatdenalidude

Neo Member
If you're interested in Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn you should probably play Path of Radiance first because RD is its sequel.

If you want a portable Fire Emblem then try Shadow Dragon.
Recruit the ****ing ballista.

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
Wii:
Boom Blox
Donkey Kong Country Returns

NDS:
GTA: Chinatown Wars
Metroid Prime Pinball

Nightbird

*Ctrl + f: Ace Attorney*
"0 results found"

This was your first mistake, OP. Get all the Ace Attorney games on DS, you'll thank me later. Or you can get the Ace Attorney Trilogy on 3DS and then buy Apollo Justice and Ace Attorney Investigations separately. Also get Ghost Trick and Hotel Dusk since those two games are great as well.

CiNG games and the Trauma Centers. May they all rip in peace.

Hotel Dusk for the DS. And the sequel, Last Window, if you can get ahold of it.

Looks like you Guys got already everything covered.

I myself would add Pokemon Black/White(2) to the List. Black/White2 are the best Versions yet, and the previous entry has a pretty good Story and recaptures the feel of Red/Blue better than any other Version to date.

If you liked EBA import Ouendan 1 and 2 because the OST is amazing.
Edit: Ace Attorney you need in some form. Either the 3DS trilogy port or the original games.
Layton trilogy as well because first trilogy is the best!

MrBadger

Well for DS, there's the Sonic Rush trilogy, Ghost Trick, all four Ace Attorneys, all four Laytons (although Lost Future is the best by far imo), Dragon Quest Heroes - Rocket Slime and Kirby Mass Attack.

Celine

Dragon Quest IV/ V / VI / IX on DS

Wii:
Punch Out!!
House of Dead Overkill
ExciteTruck
No More Heroes 1&2 (first one is the real cult game, second game is more polished)
MadWorld (only if you like beat 'em up)
Trauma Center New Blood
Silent Hill Shattered Memories (one of the best game on the system IMO)
Red Steel 2 (don't expect a FPS like the first one, it's a first person action game centered around the combat system)

DS:
Dragon Quest IV, V, VI ,IX (especially the first three)
Ghost Trick (one of the best game on the system IMO)
Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow
Alice in Wonderland (it's a hidden gem)
Layton Curoius Village (only one I've played on DS but I enjoyed it)

Harmen

I'd say both the Another Code games for the DS and Wii by Cing are also worth it if you like adventure type of games (Trace Memories in US I think)

GeekyDad

DS Games:

All of the Castlevania games, Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword, the Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks, JUMP Ultimate Stars (if you can still manage to find a copy somewhere).

rpmurphy

You should really play Shiren the Wanderer on the DS. If you never played Brain Age, you should at least give it a go.

For the DS:

All the Ace Attorney games (Apollo Justice, Ace Attorney Investigations 1 and 2 are DS only, no re-release on 3DS)

All the Professor Layton games (gotta love them puzzles)

Advance Wars: Dual Strike

Tetris DS is the best Tetris game ever, hands down

Favourite Wii Games

Excite Truck
MaBoShi: The Three Shape Arcade (WiiWare)
Mario Kart Wii
Orbient (WiiWare)
Super Mario Galaxy
Wii Sports
Wii Party
World of Goo (WiiWare)
GoldenEye 007
Wii Sports Resort

Favourite Nintendo DS games

MaBoShi (download from WiiWare game)
Hanafuda (1500DS Spirits Vol. 5)
Meteos
Mario Kart: DS
Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan
Pang: Magical Michael
Polarium (Chokkan Hitofude)
Slitherlink (Puzzle Series Vol. 5)
Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
Yoshi Touch & Go

jeemer

Can someone please help me with some recommendations? What I'm looking for is relatively up to date games (preferably for wii u rather than wii) that a non gamer can enjoy. I would post a thread but I'm still a junior member :/

I got a Wii U last week. It came with nintendoland and wii party. I've purchased bayonetta 1+2 and nsmbu. Over christmas I'm expecting smash, mk8, wind waker hd, wonderful 101 and sm3dw from various family members. I have a couple VC games and around 20 old wii games too.

I'll be playing with family over the holidays, but there are some folk 60+ whose only experience with gaming in recent years is wii sports and one of them plays tiger woods on 360 on and off.

Wii sports was ideal back in the day, since it instantly makes sense and is pretty accessible even to non gamers.

Percy

Banned
If you don't have a PS3, Dead Space Extraction and Tales of Symphonia 2 are worth playing on Wii.

Hah... and Fragile Dreams if you want to depress yourself.

kunonabi

Assuming you aren't doing imports:

Metroid: Other M
Endless Ocean series
Fortune Street
Mario Sports Mix
Shiren the Wanderer
Final Fantasy: Chocobo's Dungeon
Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon
Dead Space Extraction
No More Heroes
Dokapon Kingdom
Samurai Warriors 3
Tenchu: Shadow Assassins
Trauma Team

If you're european:
Disaster: Day of Crisis
Project Zero 2
Another Code R: A Journey into Lost Memories

BDGAME

Can someone please help me with some recommendations? What I'm looking for is relatively up to date games (preferably for wii u rather than wii) that a non gamer can enjoy. I would post a thread but I'm still a junior member :/

I got a Wii U last week. It came with nintendoland and wii party. I've purchased bayonetta 1+2 and nsmbu. Over christmas I'm expecting smash, mk8, wind waker hd, wonderful 101 and sm3dw from various family members. I have a couple VC games and around 20 old wii games too.

I'll be playing with family over the holidays, but there are some folk 60+ whose only experience with gaming in recent years is wii sports and one of them plays tiger woods on 360 on and off.

Wii sports was ideal back in the day, since it instantly makes sense and is pretty accessible even to non gamers.

There is a Wii Sports for Wii U.

mstevens

Quick update. Did my first journey to a GameStop to look for some of these older games. Got punch out, the last story, trauma center new blood and final fantasy Chrystal chronicles: echoes of time.

Sin & Punishment
Silent Hill Shattered Memories
Rune Factory Frontier
Lostwinds 1&2 (download)
Contra Rebirth (download)
Another Code: R (EU)
Red Steel 2
No More Heroes
Muramasa

Bowsers Inside Story (NOT partners in time)
Dawn of Sorrow
Ninja Gaiden DS
GTA Chinatown Wars
Kirby Mass Attack
Hotel Dusk (best visual novel)
Ghost Trick

TI82

Banned
Whatever you do do not get the Zelda DS games. Horrible.

Also: get Battlenetwork 5 for the DS, get the others on GBA if you have a Ds or lite.

Kirlia

Banned
DS
Etrian Odyssey 3

Agreed. It's the best and most accessible of the DS EOs. EO1 and EO2 MAY be a bit too frustrating for you, but both have remakes for the 3DS. Etrian Odyssey Untold 1 is available in the US, although EOU2 may or may not be localized in the future (70% likelihood, if you ask me).

Whatever you do do not get the Zelda DS games. Horrible.

I wouldn't go that far. They're worth playing and are enjoyable, but don't have your expectations SUPER high.

TI82

Banned
Hardly. And considering what else he could still be playing on DS, they certainly aren't worth playing anytime soon.

Yeah. The controls are seriously wtf worthy. Why they would release that garbage is beyond me, And they had the nerve to make a sequel!

Top Bottom