• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who here has tried Oil Pulling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ugoo18

As the topic title says, who has tried this and what were your experiences with it also did it work as it is supposed to?

Oil Pulling for those who aren't aware of it

Oil pulling, also known as "kavala" or "gundusha," is an ancient Ayurvedic dental technique that involves swishing a tablespoon of oil in your mouth on an empty stomach for around 20 minutes. This action supposedly draws out toxins in your body, primarily to improve oral health but also to improve your overall health.

Obrek

Banned
Swishing a harmful substance around in my mouth is supposed to pull other harmful substances out of the rest of my body, seemingly from nowhere? Do my pores just start leaking toxins? A simple grasp of the anatomy and functions of the body should tell you how credible this is.

injurai

Banned
passive transport is not going to remove much at all from the cells of your mouth

#truthfacts

you'd have better luck pruning in a tub for a few hours

marrec

Banned
Not planning to try it, just something that came up on my Newsfeed in a cavity removal article.
It is grade A pseudo scientific bullshit that doesn't do anything but knock loose a few food particulates.

You can't "pull toxins" and any benefits would be similar to swishing your bosses seman around in your mouth for 20 minutes.

Or any other liquid

Dryk

I am unaware of any mechanism that would enable you to do remove vague substances from your mouth with different substances that are also vague.

EDIT: Apart from <insert solvent here> being able to remove <insert detritus here> from your mouth crevices. Water will do just fine for that though.

Opiate

I have not read any literature on this (although I can if necessary), but this may be instructive for people who are just learning to distinguish real medicine from fake:

1) Anything that purports to remove "toxins" should instantly ring alarm bells. What toxins? Why are they not more specific?

2) Something which promotes "overall health" should also raise red flags. Like "toxins," this is a vague term that lacks specificity.

3) Plausible mechanism: most of us aren't doctors. However, many of us can still ask simple questions such as "how does this work?" How would swishing oiling around in my mouth promote overall health? How would it make my liver better, for instance? I can't think of a way that could happen, based on my understanding of biology.

I'll note, lastly, that none of these are proof that this specific treatment (oil pulling) is hokum -- but each of these points should raise red flags that make you question its validity. Most importantly, it should help you learn how to better pinpoint common red flags like this in the future; when you see these vague terms in other cases, you should immediately put yourself on guard. This does not mean that you cannot possibly be convinced its real, just that you'll need someone to be more specific about how it works before you proceed.

A lot of false medical treatments thrive in vagueness.

Ravek

Banned
I have seen people swear by activated charcoal for whitening teeth, but have seen no real research into the matter.

I hear putting desiccant bags in your mouth helps you not drool...................

Don't do this

injurai

Banned
holding crystals in your palm do remove toxins however

if you're lucky you might just reach the 186th plane of inner peace

holding crystals in your palm do remove toxins however

if you're lucky you might just reach the 186th plane of inner peace

oh ahaha because crystals dont work get it? im so educated, i know everything about crystals and can dismiss them with just another shitpost on neogaf.com. hahaha crystals right???

oh ahaha because crystals dont work get it? im so educated, i know everything about crystals and can dismiss them with just another shitpost on neogaf.com. hahaha crystals right???

l-6773.jpg

Also

http://www.ada.org/en/science-research/science-in-the-news/the-practice-of-oil-pulling
Science amirite???

I was intrigued until I read that it pulls toxins out of your body. Then I laughed. No it doesn't.

Wait what

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom