• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hackers tell Sony “The Interview may release now”—with edits

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a message sent to company executives, the hacker group calling itself the Guardians of Peace has given Sony Pictures Entertainment the go-ahead to release the film The Interview—with some minor caveats. First of all, ENDING SPOILER
they want any death scene for Kim Jong-un dropped from the film.
"This is GOP. You have suffered through enough threats," the message, which was also posted to Pastebin, read. "The interview may release now. But be careful. September 11 may happen again if you don't comply with the rules: Rule #1:ENDING SPOILER
no death scene of Kim Jong Un being too happy
; Rule #2: do not test us again ; Rule #3: if you make anything else, we will be here ready to fight."

Sony dropped plans for the release of the film following the cancellation of screenings by major theater chains.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/12/hackers-tell-sony-the-interview-may-release-now-with-edits/

It's just getting better.

Is this a joke? I mean, we were well past surreal already with the release being cancelled and even in that light this would be downright bizarre.

Edit: But really, I seriously question if this is legit or not.

.GqueB.

Banned
Release

the damn

movie

This "attack" sounds like it's being orchestrated by the cast of Rugrats.

Throw back reference

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Did somebody say edit?

n2ESA6I.jpg

Kim Jong Un shot first

Oh my god. It's just too much.

I suppose the analysts on CNN were right the other day in saying that all NK really wants is to get a response out of us, so they can tout more victories against the evil superpowers on state TV.

Kim probably wants to see it.

C4Lukins

Would the hackers like any shout outs in the credits? Maybe Sony can add a cameo of their favorite actor into the film?

And this is why they shouldn't have given in. NK wants to dictate endings now. What a load of crap.

If these Hollywood execs didn't see this coming. You gave them everything they wanted. And once they see that they'll take a mile. Not only is it truly a slippery slope but even if they never demanded more outrageous things (like changing an ending, a release date, the entire script, etc) the simple fact is they WILL do this again if any movie is being made that displeases them.

daveo42

Banned
But September 11 happens every year. Maybe they don't know that in NK?

This whole thing is getting stupid now. I think NK might be sweating since it seems like the US government might actually get involved in this hacking ordeal.

this just reads like a random pastebin message not from the same group of people at all

Yeah, that's the vibe I'm getting from it too, which is increasing the more I think about it. It doesn't match with the prior stuff very well...not that we're 100% certain all the prior stuff was from the same people either.

Zombine

Banned
Release the movie in a month, but change the ending to a dance number to the song firework and bring Katy Perry out.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Fuck this Black Mirror world we're living in.

I watched the first episode of that two weeks ago and it rang a little false to me.... All of a sudden this happens and it's like a more polished and plausible version of that first episode.

Hahaha, what are those amateurs doing?
Poor Sony, the hacked data must be pretty damning, cuz this is well into the "eff you" and release the movie anyways stage.

Releasing a GOP-edited version is worse than not releasing it at all. Just scrap the damn movie and let it go.

Neutered? It's a 10 second scene, I'm sure they could figure something out.

My point is that letting the GOP edit the movie, and give you "permission" to release it, is pathetic. "Neutered" might not be the best term though.

emb

this just reads like a random pastebin message not from the same group of people at all
Yeah.

It was already a separate group of course, but then I read the article and realized it was just a random pastebin, so no verification of who actually posted it (afaik?).

Probably just someone random that wants to see it. The edit part added because they want to sound believeable-ish.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member

This message about being allowed to release the film with edits might not be legit. I'm not hearing them talk about edits at all on CNN. They say the hackers are demanding that Sony NEVER release the film and pull all trailers for it. Nothing about edits and another site I know pulled these quotes about edits.

tbm24

At this point I hope they just release it online 100% uncut and say fuck it. What's the worse they could do at this point?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom