• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

343 claims no ADS bonus in Halo 5, beta appears to demonstrate otherwise

The following tweet was from the 343 Executive Producer following the initial gameplay reveal of Halo 5:

No penalty to hip fire in H5, no movement penalty when scoping/zooming, no flinch. Tune in for the beta gameplay reveal at #HaloFest Monday.

However, a post in the Halo 5 beta thread seems to contradict this rather notably:

Except ADS actually increases the accuracy of a weapon in Halo 5.

http://a.pomf.se/ozhzab.webm

http://a.pomf.se/ualuog.webm

Are you in the preview program?

ShogunX

Is it a penalty to hip fire or a boost to ADS though? As far as I can tell it's only the automatics that receive this accuracy boost.

vXOrcQ9.gif

Waiting for "but it still feels like Halo" stuff, or somehow excusing it

Strider

It's not every gun and we've known about this for a bit actually. Pros that got to go hands on mentioned it.

Maffis

Who cares? If you get shot it instantly transitions to hip-fire, which really screws up your aim because of the sudden movement of your screen.

It's a beta. Things are bound to change.

Mesonak

That contradicts nothing. A bonus when scoping does not necessitate a penalty to hip fire if comparing to the Halo standard.

What people were mainly concerned about regarding ADS was hip fire becoming worse (accuracy-wise) to compensate for the addition of smart scope. That is not the case IF the SMG is as effective un-scoped as it is in previous Halo games.

And here comes the twisting...

That contradicts nothing. A BONUS when scoping does not necessitate a PENALTY to hip fire.

What people were mainly concerned about regarding ADS was hip fire becoming worse (accuracy-wise) to compensate. That is not the case.

Surely the improved accuracy of ADS constitutes hip-fire accuracy being a penalty in relative terms?

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Hmm.. the first Webm shows a lot of different scatter between the 2.. but the 2nd webm not so much.. just goes form up/down scatter to left/right circling scatter.

Calmine

Would be better to see if it has any effect on enemies. Might just be a visual effect. Plus its a beta they can always change.

That contradicts nothing. A BONUS when scoping does not necessitate a PENALTY to hip fire.

What people were mainly concerned about regarding ADS was hip fire becoming worse (accuracy-wise) to compensate. That is not the case IF the SMG is as effective un-scoped as it is in previous Halo games.

That is a penalty to hip fire. You can say the same about COD. It is only a bonus towards scoping, not a penalty to hip fire!

Nyoro SF

Who cares? If you get shot it instantly transitions to hip-fire, which really screws up your aim because of the sudden movement of your screen.

It's a beta. Things are bound to change.

If I had a nickel every time I heard that before a game's release lol

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

That contradicts nothing. A bonus when scoping does not necessitate a penalty to hip fire.

What people were mainly concerned about regarding ADS was hip fire becoming worse (accuracy-wise) to compensate for the addition of smart scope. That is not the case IF the SMG is as effective un-scoped as it is in previous Halo games.

So I am assuming you just introduced your own twisting with that opening line, correct?

RoKKeR

Only on autos and I don't think it harms the game in any way so...

No issues here. It's about time automatics weren't completely fucking useless in a Halo game.

Mesonak

So I am assuming you just introduced your own twisting with that opening line, correct?

Yeah, quite ironically that was a rather poor way to phrase my point. That's what I get for rushing a post. :p

I should've put a disclaimer saying that I was speaking strictly in terms of comparing to most Halo games. The SMG seems to function very similarly to the spread of automatic weapons in other games, which doesn't translate to a "penalty" in my mind.

It's all a matter of perspective, I guess.

jem0208

So by adding ADS, they are then removing that balance of the past games by giving an accuracy bonus.

So once again, how is ADS not effecting the gameplay?
Nobody said it wasn't effecting gameplay. Just that there hasn't been a penalty to hip fire.

Here's a quick post I made on HaloGAF about it:

I've been thinking about the effect of ADS on the AR. It seems like in close quarters where you'd normally use the AR in classic Halo, it feels very similar. Scoping is essentially pointless as you'd be knocked out straight away and you wouldn't be able to aim fast enough to track your target. As such it doesn't really feel any different when considering it from a purely aiming standpoint.

Where scoping does come in to play is at mid range. And it makes the AR far more effective than its classic counterparts. The tighter spread means the upper limit on the effective range is greatly increased. Where the AR would have been completely useless before, it now can actually defend the player.

So from what I have seen, the inclusion of this semi ADS doesn't really have any effect on the classic usage of the AR. What it actually appears to do is increase the effective range of the AR without making it OP in close quarters. Which I kinda like. Maybe, need to play some more first.

However I'm not that worried about smart scope's effect with the AR.

iosefe

You're going to have to explain this. Relatively speaking, that's exactly what it means.

it's the exact same thing with Rested EXP. original, it was a penalty that if you didn't log out of an MMO in a town, you would gain less exp when you logged back in. it was rebranded as you get bonus exp for time spent/logging off in a town when you come back, and the lower is the base EXP instead of the Higher, plus a penalty. it's just putting it in happier terms, but it's literally the same thing

RdN

I don't really care.

It's a small boost, and the moment you get hit you lose that boost, so it's pretty insignificant unless you're shooting at an enemy which has it's back turned, in which case you'd probably win already due to the smaller kill times.

Nobody said it wasn't effecting gameplay. Just that there hadn't been a penalty to hip fire.

Here's a quick post I made on HaloGAF about it:

I saw plenty of people running around when ADS was confirmed saying it was cosmetic only, and there was nothing to worry about.

If scoping is more accurate then technically hip fire is less effective and pushes people to ADS instead. Fundamentally changing the dynamics of the game.

RBK

Banned
Don't even think it's possible to have ADS/Smart Scope, whatever you want to call it without some added benefit.

There has to be a trade off somewhere.

Mesonak

I don't really care.

It's a small boost, and the moment you get hit you lose that boost, so it's pretty insignificant unless you're shooting at an enemy which has it's back turned, in which case you'd probably win already due to the smaller kill times.

This is also a valid point. Considering descope is back, this whole thing is pretty much irrelevant from a gameplay perspective. I get the principle, though.

RoKKeR

If scoping is more accurate then technically hip fire is less effective and pushes people to ADS instead. Fundamentally changing the dynamics of the game.
It affects the mid range automatic game, which in my opinion is something that is sorely missing in the Halo games.

Descoping also does a lot to counter. Get hit once and you're out of ADS.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
This is hilarious. Let's not penalize hip fire, but instead boost ADS. Brilliant PR.

Top Bottom