• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone Shadow Fall MP: 1 Year later

Loved it when it first launched. Recently returned to see what has changed, still like it now. Even enjoying the Intercept, when I can find a full team. I will never understand the hate. Easily the best MP on the PS4. Never have a problem finding games on the MP, 24 player Warzone.

The only thing I don't like is the lack of unique game modes. Although I would say the same about almost all online MP games.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I just realized that the only good game we got from Guerrilla was Killzone2.

I'm going to be that guy and say that Guerrilla made the 2nd best multiplayer game for consoles last gen. And hands down the best Playstation multiplayer game ever.
How he hell do you go from that to mediocre?

Oh what could have been. I can honestly say that I would own a ps4 at launch if Killzone 3 and SF were just Killzone 2.5

This is the problem right here.

You say KZ2 is one of the best games ever, and because KZ3-SF aren't as stellar, they are somehow not even good?

I had my disappointments with 3 coming off 2, but it was still a great game. Just not one of the best shooters ever made like KZ2.

Same with Mercinary. A great game, and the best shooter ever made on a handheld.

KZ1-SF were good, not great, and certainly not BAD.

Our opinions don't all have to be "greatest of all time" or "absolute shit". There's plenty of breathing room in between.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
There were things I didn't like about the multiplayer and artistically the game isn't nearly as strong as its predecessors but it's still the most fun I've had in an online shooter this gen. Guerilla just seem to craft the exact experience I want out of multiplayer: slow paced, class based and tactical with long kill times.

Hope they do a PS Plus version because I'd definitely come back if the community got a boost. I quit playing because sometimes there'd only be a single game running in matchmaking.

And a tip for anyone coming LTTP: stick to classic Warzone. You may think more players is better but the maps clearly aren't balanced for 24 players and they turn into miserable clusterfucks. They shouldn't have given in to community demands for higher players counts as I reckon it soured the first impression for many.

thelastword

Banned
I went back to it a couple days ago just to check it out in general, I really have no problem adapting and trying to learn it's mechanics better, but mp for shooters is really not my thing. I may have to make a one week commitment to learning all the classes and modes. Killzone mp for 5-7 days straight.

Massa

I just realized that the only good game we got from Guerrilla was Killzone2.

I'm going to be that guy and say that Guerrilla made the 2nd best multiplayer game for consoles last gen. And hands down the best Playstation multiplayer game ever.
How he hell do you go from that to mediocre?

Oh what could have been. I can honestly say that I would own a ps4 at launch if Killzone 3 and SF were just Killzone 2.5

SF is better than Killzone 2 in almost every way.

I went back to it a couple days ago just to check it out in general, I really have no problem adapting and trying to learn it's mechanics better, but mp for shooters is really not my thing. I may have to make a one week commitment to learning all the classes and modes. Killzone mp for 5-7 days straight.

You don't need to learn every class. In fact, stick with the Support class with the Spawn beacon ability and you'll make quite a difference for your team. Just focus on learning the best places to place the beacons where the enemy won't see and destroy them while still being close to the objective.

Does it still feel like you're walking through peanut butter?

Call of duty is the bomb right bro?

I have no problem with the movement. I actually have a lot of fun every time I play.

I just wish I would wise up and not buy so many games so I can focus lol.

BigTnaples

Let's not get crazy. KF:SF is a good game with some awesome idea. Hell you could argue it's s great game.

However, Killzone 2 is THE Game. All others stand in its shadow.

Massa

Let's not get crazy. KF:SF is a good game with some awesome idea. Hell you could argue it's s great game.

However, Killzone 2 is THE Game. All others stand in its shadow.

But KZ:SF is a game that takes THE Game and fixes all of its major balance issues. Destructible spawn beacons, much better balanced turrets and air support, the medic is actually used, the scout class isn't completely useless, explosives are not overpowered, maps are actually designed to prevent spawn camping, the list goes on.

I only miss the art style of 2, and I wish the shooting felt heavier like it and Mercenary (Mercenary is the one that nails it, the great feeling of 2 without the input lag).

Does it still feel like you're walking through peanut butter?

I think it's a great game, I've probably put in close to 100 hours into the multiplayer. But this is something that definitely bothers me every time I go back to it, perfectly described, walking through peanut butter. You do get used to it though.

thelastword

Banned
You don't need to learn every class. In fact, stick with the Support class with the Spawn beacon ability and you'll make quite a difference for your team. Just focus on learning the best places to place the beacons where the enemy won't see and destroy them while still being close to the objective.
I played a couple of games where the opposing team were pretty close to my team's base camp within seconds of the match starting up. I'm thinking they kept us locked down because of a well placed spawn point. I'm sure I can get into it and do well, just have to spend a little time.

To be honest KZ2 mp is the shooter I played the most online, EVER. I really loved the mp in that game, the guns and how intense the matches used to be. I've seen some great tactics, comebacks, you name it. I really believe it deserves a special award for shooter mp. If Shadowfall is close enough to that, then it must be awesome just the same. I wouldn't know yet though, I've only played 3 matches total.

But KZ:SF is a game that takes THE Game and fixes all of its major balance issues. Destructible spawn beacons, much better balanced turrets and air support, the medic is actually used, the scout class isn't completely useless, explosives are not overpowered, maps are actually designed to prevent spawn camping, the list goes on.

I only miss the art style of 2, and I wish the shooting felt heavier like it and Mercenary (Mercenary is the one that nails it, the great feeling of 2 without the input lag).

I came to say this. As I said before ShadowFall is to Killzone 2 what Perfect Dark was to Goldeneye. People will always love the OG. But Shadowfall fixes everything that was wrong with the great KZ2. KZ2 had some classic maps. But I don't understand how people love KZ2 and not Shadowfall.

I love it. It's really a whole fucking lot of fun. The map design in particular is spectacular. There is no single location anywhere that can be safely camped - every single spot in every map can be reached by multiple paths that all offer distinct advantages. I can't get over how good the maps are. I especially love the office building and the Wall. Stormgracht is a ton of fun as well.

And there's just something immensely satisfying about dropping onto a group of unsuspecting enemies, stun blasting them all, and then fucking going to town with the breacher.

BigTnaples

I came to say this. As I said before ShadowFall is to Killzone 2 what Perfect Dark was to Goldeneye. People will always love the OG. But Shadowfall fixes everything that was wrong with the great KZ2. KZ2 had some classic maps. But I don't understand how people love KZ2 and not Shadowfall.

Perfect Dark shit all over Goldeneye.

That is not the case with Shadowfall. Though yes, some of KZ2s issues were fixed, there was a lot wrong too. And this is from someone who like it more than most.

thenexus6

I have been playing a lot over the last few months, way more than Battlefield 4. The challenge meter and the new valor makes it so addictive.. "i'll just get one more challenge done then i'll stop playing".

The continued support has been amazing too, huge props to GG.

It's funny, I owned this game since last year and finally finished it last week (wooooo! Backlog!).

I will say that the SP is my least favorite out of 2,3, Mercenary, and SF. 2 had such a cool style going for it and feeling like you were in a warzone. Those early beach landing levels were jaw-dropping back in 2009.

SF feels like it didn't know what the strengths of KZ were. Killzone nailed that feeling of being in a hectic warzone, and SF tries to go this somewhat Halo, somewhat CoD route of making you the stealthy Shadow Marshall who is almost always working alone.

I only played the MP back at the end of last year, and enjoyed my time with it. I dominated each game I was in by a fairly wide margin, I guess out of knowing more about KZ games work than the XMas kids. I never came back to it since none of my friends played it but one. :/

pixelbox

Game itself is awesome but the framerate is fluctuating too much for me. Doesn't feel good tbh.

BF, which is the most played MP, has huge FR drops and no on one complains.

Yep, SF is the only PS4 MP FPS that doesn't have ridiculous aim assist and immediately feels much better than the rest because of it.

It doesn't have any save for that chain gun.

No, game feels great.+

For some reason though it's the only game that breaks my controller and the left trigger keeps sending a forward movement signal.

Could be time for a new controller. But then KZ games usually has no dead zone.

Why? I've always liked playing against bots. I go out of my way to buy MP games with bots. Should be an industry standard.

He was taking a jab at the game, as if no one plays... :/

And a tip for anyone coming LTTP: stick to classic Warzone. You may think more players is better but the maps clearly aren't balanced for 24 players and they turn into miserable clusterfucks. They shouldn't have given in to community demands for higher players counts as I reckon it soured the first impression for many.

I don't think this KZ was designed for 24 player matches buy you know, numbers matter. GG tried to please too many people and i believe it rubbed many the wrong way.

You say KZ2 is one of the best games ever, and because KZ3-SF aren't as stellar, they are somehow not even good?

I had my disappointments with 3 coming off 2, but it was still a great game. Just not one of the best shooters ever made like KZ2.

Same with Mercinary. A great game, and the best shooter ever made on a handheld.

Our opinions don't all have to be "greatest of all time" or "absolute shit". There's plenty of breathing room in between.

GG did not have a lot of time making this game. It was less than KZ3 and on new hardware so what they did was astonishing. I also see GG is learning that they can't please everyone each title they make.

pixelbox

Due to my weapon of choice, it's really difficult to showcase the game. But I search Youtube and found an awesome short video of badassery-take note of that sniper that uses a stun bot, that follows an enemy then emp stuns, and sticky bombs as an explosive combination:
Killzone Shadow Fall's Top 5 Kills of the Week nu…: http://youtu.be/LDrZKKIEo1w

Huddy

Only play games that are true 1080p.
/s

The one thing that really put me off of KZ:SF was the FOV it felt so narrow.

Varth

Why? I've always liked playing against bots. I go out of my way to buy MP games with bots. Should be an industry standard.

THIS. So much this. Had so much fun with Uplink mode in COD AW with bots.

And KZ bot mode are always tops. Shows how good their IA routines are.

the multiplayer should be free to play at this point imo

sony sucks at supporting their games. Also, I was just playing FEAR on PC and thought how amazing Killzone 2 would look at 1080p and 60 FPS. Game badly needs a remaster

Noobcraft

Graphics look great (expected) but what am I supposed to be looking at in that YouTube video? It looked frustrating to play and the map design in general looked pretty mediocre.

pixelbox

I like the carnage in extended. With all this talk about classic I almost feel I should try it...maybe ;)

Do it! So worth it for the MP alone.

Graphics look great (expected) but what am I supposed to be looking at in that YouTube video? It looked frustrating to play and the map design in general looked pretty mediocre.

As i explained earlier, the video showed coordination amongst randoms.

ironcreed

Banned
I tried it earlier, and yeah, it feels like Killzone. I of course love that, but got my ass handed to me, lol. I just need to get a feel for the maps and such and I'll settle in more and enjoy it for a few rounds here and there.

Game's really only fun when both teams are competent since matches get really intense, no better feeling than winning a tie breaker round on Warzone.

Do it! So worth it for the MP alone

What exactly makes it better? I mean I really enjoy the whole 'clusterfuck' feel of the 24 player extended Warzone. I don't play any other mode.

Also I am loving the fact this game now has 17 maps for MP. It's almost like playing a new game with that amount of maps.

Acrylic7

Just because Kz2 is better is not the reason that KZ3 and SF aren't good. They just aren't good.
Kz3 was the outcome of the complete and utter destruction of Kiilzone2's core mechanics. No one can argue this.

and SF was Guerrilla not knowing were to go with it.

Going to need reasons.
Killzone 2 was perfection in MP.

And if you are talking about graphics, sound, that kind of stuff can go out of the window, that's not what makes a game like this function.

Fbh

Good to hear there are still people playing.

The Single Player is "meh" but I really enjoyed the multiplayer in Shadow Fall. Good gameplay, great maps and all the classes are fun to use.

I just stopped playing because at some point the active community became very small and the game would insist on putting me into matches with only 2-3 people playing.
I will check out if there's more people playing now. But at this point it would be great if they gave it with Ps+ to have a larger community

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Agree. It's nice to know you can still play against bots years from now when the community is dead.

Correct. It's one thing that's always pissed me off about Halo.

Black Ops
Killzone
Perfect Dark Zero
Gears 2
Gears 3

All games I can play "multiplayer" on long after videogames die, or servers are shut down.

Wake the fuck up 343 and Respawn.

OK can I ask you what makes KZ2 better than ShadowFall?

Nothing. ShadowFall is better in every measure:

- Visuals
- AI
- Pacing
- Gunplay
- Controls
- Level design

Seriously, it's just a FAR superior game.

Top Bottom