• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arcade racing fans are currently enjoying an embarrassment of riches

leng jai

There's been a lot of bickering/comparisons between Horizon 2 and Driveclub but lets be honest her - racing fans have never had it better. Driveclub offers an insane weather system in a structure designed around pure racing. Horizon 2 is ultra polished package with enough variety and content to please almost everyone. Combined with the Storm Coast expansion it even provides satisfying rallying and off-road races.

The only shame is that they're both exclusives so you'll need an Xbox One and PS4. Now all we need is a new Motorstorm game and we'll be in literal heaven. You'll also need a Wii U for Mario Kart 8.

EDIT: Yeah, although I consider these games arcadey they're not in the same ilk as stuff like Ridge Racer, Burnout and Daytona.

ghibli99

I see "arcade racing" and I think of stuff like Initial D, Daytona, and Sega Rally. I sure miss those days, but wouldn't mind giving these a try!

Nander

Yes, both Horizon 2 and Driveclub are really good and fun games. Driving game fans have probably had the best start of the new generation of all types of gamers.

But it's a bit sad that we have gotten to a point where these pseudo-sim games are called "arcade racers". What happened to my Daytona USAs, Outruns and Ridge Racers? :(

OSHAN

I am? Where's my Ridge Racer? My Sega Rally? My Daytona?

But really now, where the fuck is Ridge Racer 8?

HTupolev

Arcade racing fans are currently enjoying an embarrassment of riches... because there are a couple of simcades on the market that would have qualified as sims a decade ago?

*Loads Ridge Racer 7 into PS3*
*cries*

Don't know about FH2, but Driveclub is really good... calling it an "arcade racer" is ridiculous, though.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wait, Forza Horizon 2 is "arcade?"

I think not.

I love FH2, but I want a new Burnout game badly. I put about 200 hours into Paradise and would gladly do it again with a new version.

VanWinkle

I don't feel like either of them are near arcade enough to call them "arcade racers". Just like I don't feel like they're simulation enough to call them sim racers.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
These 2 games do nothing to me. Bring back Sega Rally, Excite, Motorstorm, Wipeout, Wave Race or FZero. So far we have nothing in terms of arcade choice.

leng jai

I've changed the title to just "racers". Horizon and Driveclub are in that awkward in between level, though you can turn off all the assists and tune your cars in the former.

nkarafo

arcade racing fans have never had it better
Lol, no.

I'm an arcade racing fan. And i'm stuck replaying arcade racing games from 6th gen consoles. Because, you know, 60fps and all. Something that the last and current gen don't provide.

Komo

Banned
While Driveclub and Horizon 2 are probably decent arcade racers, they're not the kind that I'd like to play. When I think of arcade racers, I think of great titles such as Ridge Racer, Daytona USA, SEGA Rally, WipEout, Rollcage, Tokyo Xtreme Racer, Destruction Derby, etc ... Also 60fps.

I don't doubt that Driveclub and Horizon 2 are fun, but they seriously look like the same game to me. They desperately lack personality compared to the arcade racers I've listed, and so I'm really not interested in playing them. I find realism boring.

RIP to all the great arcade racing franchises I listed :(

jett

D-Member
Two 30fps simcade games are the furthest things on my mind from an "embarrassment of riches for arcade racing fans."

Jibbed

Thanks for telling me how I feel mr marketing guy.

Yeah, I really don't think Horizon 2 and Driveclub scratch my racing itch at the moment.

We need a proper full-on simulation with real-world circuits to release such as pCARS, THEN I'll be happy.

And also another MotorStorm. Shit was dope.

leng jai

Two 30fps simcade games are the furthest things on my mind from an "embarrassment of riches for arcade racing fans."

I like 60fps as much as anyone but the 30fps implementations in both Horizon 2 and DC are sublime. Even NFS Rivals felt pretty smooth. We best be getting used to 30fps in this console generation outside of Forza/GT.

I like 60fps as much as anyone but the 30fps implementations in both Horizon 2 and DC are sublime. Even NFS Rivals felt pretty smooth. We best be getting used to 30fps in this console generation outside of Forza/GT.

pgr 2 ditched 60fps back in the xbox 1 era and almost everyone loved pgr2 more than pgr 1

Driveclub is one of the best and most underrated race games of the last decade and I hear Horizon 2 is a great game as well, definitely picking up with an Xbone in the future.

That said, stylized arcade racers, like from real arcades, are becoming extinct.

90s Arcade Racer is coming out next year, looks like a current gen Dreamcast game

9be02f5cea24559c24c270633c8e24c0_large.jpg

Drift Stage has great art style https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjOp6wGaeTY

driftstage4.jpg

GamerJM

Banned
Wait, Forza Horizon 2 is "arcade?"

I think not.

I love FH2, but I want a new Burnout game badly. I put about 200 hours into Paradise and would gladly do it again with a new version.

I just want a Burnout-style game without any open world bullshit. Give me a game more like 1-3 and Revenge than Paradise.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If I had tons of money, I'd fund a Ridge Racer museum collection - HD remakes of all the Playstation RR games plus the arcade games.

leng jai

Speaking of pure arcade racers, do we know of any one of Ridge Racer/Wipeout/Motorstorm/Burnout/Daytona having a current gen game in development?

Komo

Banned

Absolutely should have been first post

Speaking of pure arcade racers, do we know of any one of Ridge Racer/Wipeout/Motorstorm/Burnout/Daytona having a current gen game in development?

They're all pretty much dead :\

Ridge Racer had a reboot which was pretty much a Burnout clone. Fun, but not Ridge Racer at all. After that they tried to release some FTP garbage game on Steam called' 'Driftopia' which was quietly shut down, after having never left beta. Nothing's really been heard of the series since.
WipEout was lost when SCE Studio Liverpool shut down
Burnout's been off the radar since Paradise back in 2008
Daytona USA was ported from the arcade to PSN/XBLA in 2011. (Still wish SEGA would port Daytona USA 2 to home consoles)

Not sure about Motorstorm, though

I'd rather not get used to it, tbh. I'll just not purchase 30FPS racing games and only support the ones that are 60FPS like the upcoming Project C.A.R.S game, which looks bloody fantastic.

JDSN

Banned
The biggest L they took this year was funding 90s Arcade Racer so Nicalis would swoop in and do their usual buffoonery.

Leflus

I don't know if I would call FH2 an arcade racer tbh. It's somewhere in the middle of arcade and sim racing.

This gen still has a long way to go in terms of arcade racers. Last gen had a bunch of them. Hell, the 360 had Burnout, PGR, Ridge Racer and NFS before the first year was over.

Ridge Racer is dead.
Burnout is dead
Bizarre Creations was shut down by Activision
Other studios, like Black Rock, Black Box and Sony Liverpool, have been shut down as well.

Playground Games and Ghost Games are pretty much the only major new AAA racing studios in recent years. ...and Ghost Games is basically a replacement for Black Box.

Forza Horizon 2 is amazing though. I hope they're making another one. The Horizon series is a small beacon of light in this post-PGR world.

Top Bottom