• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are my rose tinted glasses on or were ""old"" magazine reviews significantly better?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
review10.jpg

Gotta love that old rating scale. The better the game, the more 90s kid you become.

Sizzle55

GamesTM is stil pretty good, Edge still is high quality for reviews. I dont think there has been a huge drop off tbh.

terrisus

Old Nintendo Powers (especially from the start through mid-N64) were incredibly awesome.
Detailed, in-depth looks at games, really showing you what the game was about. You could actually get a feel for games from them.

Now, reviews are basically just "here's what some person thought about this game" or "here's this game judged on a couple of arbitrary attributes" and people skipping over that anyway and just looking at a number at the end.

Yjynx

Old Nintendo Powers (especially from the start through mid-N64) were incredibly awesome.
Detailed, in-depth looks at games, really showing you what the game was about. You could actually get a feel for games from them.

Now, reviews are basically just "here's what some person thought about this game" or "here's this game judged on a couple of arbitrary attributes" and people skipping over that anyway and just looking at a number at the end.
This. Now what all matters are the scores. Abrupt one at that. They know more ave joe wouldn't read the content thats why I said they determine the score first then made up the content.

Sanctuary

Yes bloodborne and the order guaranteed low scores no matter what. Quote me on it.

Not sure which universe you live in, but Bloodborne is most certainly going to be a crtitical favorite. There's no way it could be as "meh" as Dark Souls 2, which still got extremely favorable reviews all around.

bomblord1

Banned

I get that feeling a lot as well. Modern reviews feel empty for lack of a better term. When a game was good I could genuinely feel the excitement eminanting from the writing. I very rarely get that nowadays its usually just a list of features.

This. Now what all matters are the scores. Abrupt one at that. They know more ave joe wouldn't read the content thats why I said they determine the score first then made up the content.

That is some rose colored glasses. The Nintendo Power equivalent in my country was basically a paid ad.

Yjynx

Not sure which universe you live in, but Bloodborne is most certainly going to be a crtitical favorite. There's no way it could be as "meh" as Dark Souls 2, which still got extremely favorable reviews all around.
We'll see about that.

terrisus

Nice I have a small collection but it only spans about 2 years

That's an older picture of them, so it doesn't include a number of years of the recent ones. But, I have every single issue of Nintendo Power (started subscribing with Issue 32/January 1992, and later went back and purchased the earlier ones as well), as well as 6 of the 7 issues of the Fun Club News that came before it (the few times I've come across Fun Club News Issue 1 it's gone for well over $100, and I haven't had the money to spare to get it yet)

Plus obviously a bunch of Player's Guides and such.

The actual Nintendo power was nothing like that

There were parts that came from Nintendo Power, mostly walkthroughts and one or another article. I don't think neither NP and my country magazine were bad (after all, the one from here had were even some coverage of other consoles when there was some sort of remembrance or franchises timelines) but was mostly biased towards Nintendo games or games that were exclusive to them. I remember some painful purchases because that magazine. And seeing some YT videos about old games, seems that we here were not the only ones.

Pimpwerx

Nintendo Power was in Nintendo's pocket. I was a huge Nintendo fan as a youth, but no one took NP seriously back then. I'd like others my age to chime in. NP was considered a shill mag. I think EGM might have had the best rep for being unbiased. Gamefan was my favorite mag though (shout out to KLee and Nick Rox). They weren't considered to be the best, but they were legit enthusiasts. Even to this day, the few members of GF that I've had the fortune of chatting with were all extremely cool guys. KLee still posts on here, and they were just a bunch of dudes who liked games. They used to be bashed for being too enthusiastic about games, but I far prefer that to excessive negativity. I also think their previews and reviews really reflected the time and effort put into the game. Like these guys really cared about games, and it showed. I miss them. PEACE.

Because most of the reviewer today seems to determine score first then made up the content later. They're clearly biased especially towards sony exclusive lately. I mean what the hell is next gen gameplay? Gives us example explain to us.

Yes bloodborne and the order guaranteed low scores no matter what. Quote me on it.

Oh give me a break! I've never bought into a pro/anti Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft media bias, at least not when it comes to reviews. There is no conspiracy.

Bloodborne is all but guaranteed high scores.

terrisus

Nintendo Power was in Nintendo's pocket. I was a huge Nintendo fan as a youth, but no one took NP seriously back then. I'd like others my age to chime in. NP was considered a shill mag.

How old is "your age?"
I'm 32.

Yes, Nintendo Power was a Nintendo product - until 2007, anyway.
And yes, its main purpose was to let people know about games for Nintendo systems (obviously).

But, it was still a great source of information on games.
And far better at getting a feel for what a game was like than most anything since then.

Jeff Gerstmann said at multiple times that print magazines employed non-serious lazy crass bums who sat on their asses most of the time.

GamesTM is stil pretty good, Edge still is high quality for reviews. I dont think there has been a huge drop off tbh.

Exactly...Eurogamer has some excellent reviews and editorials as well. It just comes down to the quality of the website or Magazine you are talking about. I generally think that overall, game criticism has matured in a lot of ways. Back in the day, especially in magazines like Gamepro or EGM, the writing quality and general flagrant bias and ignorance in reviews was much more common. Now I find the people reviewing games tend to be more knowledgeable about a specific genre or game type.

For example, there were points in game criticism, where games would widely get panned simply because they were 2D (PS1 era), or because they were from a niche game type like shmups. Now at least, we have tons of low budget indie games getting a ton of widespread recognition.

gelf

Eh. It's always been about the same. EGM issued some stupid reviews back in the day.

"I hate the VF series so VF2 didn't impress me much. 7" (Paraphrased, but that was essentially one of their reviews.) They also shat on Jaguar Doom but thought the same code running in a tiny window was worthy of 9's on the 32x.

Then you have Nick Rox with his blue shadows.

The whole Next Gen thinking they should get to dictate the future of game design so therefore all 2d games are crap now was stupid backwards thinking too.

I don't see a whole lotta difference now.
That all games have to be 3D thing really pissed me off back then, many magazines I read where snooty about any game being in 2D anymore, disregarding that most of those 2D games just couldn't be done on the 16-bit consoles. I think its the main reason many sequels got pushed to 3D graphics with no thought as to if it was a good idea. The only magazine I read that really championed 2D games at the time was the official UK Sega Saturn magazine, which of course had a good reason to do so as the Saturn was the 2D powerhouse. I really loved that magazine, not just for giving 2D a chance but for their in depth articles and championing of games they felt were overlooked.

On topic, I don't think things have changed that much, you get good reviews you get bad reviews like we always did. And I feel some are too quick to call good or bad review just because it does or doesn't conform to their opinion.

terrisus

He started in a magazine, I think.

Also, he is a veteran and don't usually shit on other collages.

Internet-based writers decrying the survivability/quality of print writers is a pretty common theme over the past 20 years.
And for most of the past decade it's just been kicking a dead horse.

GUN-NAC

That still sounds like a huge generalisation. Unless he was just talking about the magazines he was a part of. Or a joke.

Because most of the reviewer today seems to determine score first then made up the content later. They're clearly biased especially towards sony exclusive lately. I mean what the hell is next gen gameplay? Gives us example explain to us.

I remember back in the day how game reviewer were more harsh and I took their opinion higly. Right now I feels it only a matter of time before someone leak how corrupt they are.

Advancement in tech like share play and streaming would kill them sooner than later. They should rise their standard but they lower it instead.

I'm not only gonna quote you on it, I'm gonna quote your entire post as being idiotic

Top Bottom