• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else think if Destiny and No Man's Sky were merged...

It'd make the perfect game? They feel like two halves of one whole. On NMS's end we have seamless space travel from planet to planet. An endless array of varied, otherworldly, unknown terrain and wildlife to be found on every planet you discover. However (to my knowledge) you can't go space exploring with your buddies. This is where *Destiny comes in. Piloting your ships with your group through space, the tight combat and gunplay at your disposal for resource gathering and fighting off aggressors as a team. Hunting for rare parts and new upgrades for yourself and your ship, completing missions based of a central hub everyone is dropped off in. I feel like what these two games offer are like chocolate and peanut butter to each other, and seeing them cross breed would create a holy balance of combat and vast space exploration.

*Disclaimer: Yeah yeah, combining the Destiny and No Man's Sky would make NMS the worse game lololol. I consider Destiny a solid 7/10, but I've had my fun with it and see great potential in it's future if Bungie addresses concerns with a sequel. I truly feel like these concepts compliment each other so well that I can't help but daydream what it would be like to see them combined.

What think GAF?

JayEH

I thought Destiny would be like No Man's Sky when they were initially talking about it. No as vast of course but I thought there would be a huge universe to explore.

But yes, if Destiny and No Man's Sky were combined it would be a perfect game.

SerTapTap

I don't see how no mans sky fixes any problem in destiny other than the "explorable terrain" lie and I don't see how no man's sky benefits either beyond adding gunzshootan for the "but what do you DO" crowd.

see great potential in it's future if Bungie addresses concerns with a sequel.

Destiny 2 will have dual wielding because they saw a tumblr saying "they should add dual wielding" and bungie will be like YOU ASKED: WE LISTENED

you can now equip 2 guns and there are now 5(!) areas full of garbage

JNT

Strange. I've actually thought this for quite some time, mainly because I look at Destiny and see how little content the developers were able to make during their five(?) year development cycle. Good procedurally generated content would be a great way to extend the lifetime for this type of game.

Go out and see all the wonder the universe has to offer!

And then SHOOT IT ALL IN THE FACE.

Seriously though, I didn't need Destiny to be some sort of procedurally generated, expansive universe. I just wanted some reasonably good content to drive you through a meaningful story. I don't think I got any of that, and procedurally generated environments with exploring wouldn't have fixed the issue.

Ghazi

I mean, Minecraft has no story. Doesnt have to be a bad thing.
The back of the Destiny box literally says "with rich cinematic storytelling set in huge worlds to explore." It's not just the lack of the story that's the problem, it's that they played up one to be there. Minecraft doesn't do that.

Sinfamy

I actually was hoping Destiny was like No Man's Sky.
Where you can customize your ship, and fly from planet to planet.

wanders

I think xenoblade chronicles x + no man's sky would be a better combination. Exploring a planet in a transformable robot would really sweet.

Haunted

I don't think NMS needs anything from Destiny, tbh.

Conversely, chief complaints about Destiny I've heard are the shitty grind structure and the lacklustre amount of maps in Destiny, so yeah, it would no doubt benefit from No Man's Sky's procedural generation algorithm in that regard. I think a better fix would be to remove that shitty grind/repetition and make Destiny a finite, more focused game instead, but that's just me.

tbm24

Truth be told for a lot of what people complain about destiny, I prefer having fixed planets. Actively flying there isn't something I'd be into on top of them being randomly generated. I just like shooting things with my loot. I just like what the game does, it only needs more of it.

patchday

Yeah what the OP describes does sound an awful lot like it.

Not sure if you collect rare parts in Star Citizen though since I haven't played it. Nor am I certain if Star Citizen will have rpg elements. Tried to watch the latest stream the other day but only caught the tail end when they showed the new trailer. Which looked great

Exactly.

But...there are a whole host of logistics issues with doing a No Mean's Sky meets Destiny type game. A lot of these issues Star Citizen seems to be addressing, although we haven't seem proof of this yet.

For example:
- Destiny has gorgeous hand-scrafted art and levels. It was already massively expensive to make its current, limited amount of levels and planets. It would need to use a ton of NMS type procedural generation to make a whole universe.

- Is it going to be fun exploring randomly generated planets? We all remember the boring ass Mass Effect 1 Mako exploration...that was cool for about an hour, before we realized they were just empty and boring.

- Destiny's combat is fun and 'tight', because of the limited scope of the game. Its AI, while being moderately intelligent, also seems fairly scripted. I doubt simply dropping Destiny's AI into random massive worlds would work at all. You would need to build a new AI system or heavily modify the Destiny AI.

- PVP without tightly designed arenas and balanced weaponry could be a mess. You can still 'Balance' the stats of the weapons, but I imagine the team would have to look into other solutions, like player created maps, player curated weapon balancing.

There are a ton more things to consider. I think Star Citizen is trying and seemingly succeeding at doing basically this, but the FPS combat seems more tactical. Either way, I really hope Destiny adds space flight and space travel to the game. Even with a limited amount of worlds, it could still be really cool.

I thought Destiny was going to be more like a mixture of NMS and itself than it turned out to be, but both together would be an amazing game. Even if NMS were the same game but with the level of detail present in Destiny, it would be close to a perfect game.

There's no way Star Citizen is going to be as good as I hope it will be, certainly not when it first launches. That game is going to take a few years before it's properly great, if ever.

Also, as an unrelated side note, everyone in the Star Citizen trailer was white.

I expect that Star Citizen, 3 years post release after the second expansion, will even let you make colonies in planets and basically you are creating the levels other players invade.

I'd rather have Minecraft than Destiny.

Mining all kinds of resources, building actual things, discovering all kinds of things, and having entire planets to yourself.

orborborb

The reason Destiny is great is because the levels are carefully designed, put the Destiny mechanics in an algorithmically generated world and it would only become boring more quickly.

Which is not to say I don't love some randomly generated worlds. Minecraft especially pre-biomes was great fun, but only as a backdrop and source of inspiration for your own ideas. If you were playing to win it was very boring. Spelunky and Eldritch work because they are a grid of carefully designed areas and even then all the walls have to be destructible and everything has to be so carefully tested that adding more "variety" is actually harder than it would be if the levels were just designed. Another problem is that the time it takes to design them cannot be sped up by adding more people to the team, you need one person who knows everything about the game. These games also share a block-based design, which helps blurs the boundary between designed and generated things.

And Destiny would in no way be improved by being more like Diablo III, which is all they could realistically do (and I really enjoy Diablo III, but the only reason it can be randomly generated is because the game would basically play the same on an infinite empty plain).

Seanspeed

Banned
There's no way Star Citizen is going to be as good as I hope it will be, certainly not when it first launches. That game is going to take a few years before it's properly great, if ever.
I'm sceptical, too. Its definitely the most ambitious game ever created.

But they do have a lot of knowhow and a AAA budget, so I'm not writing them off, either.

I'd rather have Minecraft than Destiny.

Mining all kinds of resources, building actual things, discovering all kinds of things, and having entire planets to yourself.
Its called Starbound. :)

Top Bottom