• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP Warframe : Its not the game you tried last year.

The aerial melee is awesome and has done a lot to mitigate the downside of using heavier weapons due to their lack of ability to 'copter'. Timing an upward big swing with an axe at the height of your jump and having it catapulting you across the screen is awesome.

I logged in after not playing for a while on the PC. It's all so confusing as fuck now.

I played Warframe like crazy at the end of 2013 and start of 2014. I've always maintained that the new player experience was one of the weakest aspects of the game. As a new player you used to be thrown in at the deep end without knowing why you were doing anything you were doing in the game. I suspect this was a huge turn off for many people who tried the game and gave up on it. I was lucky that a friend of mine personally guided me through the game until I finally 'got it' and then I was hooked.

A few weeks ago I decided to give it another go. I log in and I have no idea what the fuck they've done with the interface. I'm sure if I had stuck with it I could probably slowly understand it all again but I mean... I get that online games are constantly evolving but if you've changed things so much that a 300 hour veteran of the game is completely lost on the goddamn main menu, I think you've gone and fucked it up.

Qblivion

Last time I played it (about a year ago) The shooting and movement still felt kinda bad. Unless that has been improved too I'll just stick with destiny.

BPoole

I have over a thousand hours in Warframe but I haven't played in several months. I played it a few weeks ago and had no idea what was going on. The entire interface has changed and I wasn't willing to do all grinding needs to get the stance mods. Also I didn't have any T4 keys which was annoying since I have dozens of the T1-T3 keys

BHK3

Banned
Do I still have to wait 10 years for any of my stuff to finish building? Are enemies still just bullet sponges on higher difficulties and some levels can't be soloed? Is the drop rate still pants on head stupid? Is the daily log in reward still 99% coupons for micro-transactions?

Destiny has pvp and actual endgame. WF's grind is all for nothing.
They're all for nothing, all of these loot games. But then again I've never understood the desire for end-games. End-game is when you decide you're done, otherwise end-game systems can always be described as another more difficult grind for the game's loot. At least here the game is free, so you'r not out $60 if you get burned out, and there's no barriers to jumping back in like you get with premium DLC.

I don't play Warframe like an MMO though. For me its just a fun time to wall run and shoot bad guys in the face, run circles around enemies while hip-firing a bow (the best shit ever), or disembowel em with a pole-arm or glaive throw, and to do all of this solo or with a few buddies. So you could say I just play it more like a co-op hack and slash and shooter hybrid, and all the progression stuff is just bonus stuff you unlock over time. But that's me, and for my tastes its got far more variety on offer than Destiny, by miles and miles.

Adding in multi-hour, trial and error based dungeons against bullet-sponge bosses isn't my idea of a good time anyway. But, you know, different strokes for different folks.

Do I still have to wait 10 years for any of my stuff to finish building? Are enemies still just bullet sponges on higher difficulties and some levels can't be soloed? Is the drop rate still pants on head stupid? Is the daily log in reward still 99% coupons for micro-transactions?
The biggest difference between bullet sponges in Warframe and in other games is that - thanks to Damage 2.0 - you can actually customize an arsenal to take down specific bosses. If they're heavily shielded you bring in magnetic and cold, if they're armored up the ass, you can look up the armor composition on the wiki, or scan the enemies with the Codex scanner to do the same, and then pick the best weapons and slot a solid set of mods to counter-act that particular sponginess. At the very highest levels of difficulty and in endless wave-based games, eventually the enemies so out-level the players that there isn't much that can be done besides smart group composition, but even then you can craft an arsenal and team to take the most advantage of how the enemies scale in difficulty.

Build times are the same I think. A minute for gear. 12 hours for weapons (I think). 3 days for warframes. 1.5 days for Archwings. I have yet to rush a single thing though - I just put it in the oven and when I'm playing again in a few days I've got a gift waiting for me.

Wow I need to get back to this. Even before adding all of this new stuff I thought it was a way better game than Destiny. Met more awesome people in this game than any other as well.

Uthred

I think it might be an idea to mention the new game modes in the OP, most of them are pretty fun and IMO a big improvement on most of the old modes (and more varied modes is always good).

Is it still a mundane grindy mess with microtransactional 'fun'?

Thats a pretty disingenuous description of the game, the only things behind a microtransaction paywall are entirely cosmetic, you can access 90% of the content and all the "game" content without paying anything.

You still have to wait for stuff to finish buidling, ordinary stuff is 1-12 hours, "rare" stuff is 24 hours, Frames and big stuff is 72 hours. The drop rate has been changed along with the mod update so theres less stuff, and thank fuck no more ability mods, in the drops tables. Apart from that the drop tables didnt seem any better or worse than any game of this type. Based on anecdotal evidence (and a few hundred hours of experience) you only really get the coupon login rewards after youve been "away" for a while

Wow I need to get back to this. Even before adding all of this new stuff I thought it was a way better game than Destiny. Met more awesome people in this game than any other as well.

Have to say, while chat can be silly, and trade is often full of passive agressive bullshit, the actual in-game and online communities for Warframe have been great. Maybe I've got lucky but I can think of literally only two instances where I got "griefed" by someone in game. For a game thats mostly anonymous co-op play its impressively free of assholes.

Thats a pretty disingenuous description of the game, the only things behind a microtransaction paywall are entirely cosmetic, you can access 90% of the content and all the "game" content without paying anything.
Yep. The only stuff I'd describe as 'required' are extra inventory slots for warframes and weapons. But you only need these if you're invested in the game and even then if you apply your starter plat to those slots you're covered for a good long while.

And, this might be a tangent, but god damn are the bows in Warframe the best stuff ever. I don't think there's any other game I've played that lets you run and gun with a bow, and damn is it satisfying. You can also aim like in other games, but if you get the handle on hip-firing/no-scoping or whatever you want to call it, and you get in the zone there's nothing else like it. Max out a Dread or Paris Prime and holy shit - pure precision carnage asada.

I quit after two weeks of the bloated Melee 2.0 expansion and then logging on to find the UI went to complete and utter shit.

Won't go back now until they make it easier to navigate again.

HORRORSHØW

i have about 1000 hours in warframe. went back after update 14 and mirage and still felt burnt out. not compelled to jump back in quite yet.

squadr0n

I feel like this game and Destiny had alot of stuff in common but neither are perfect. Even with Events added they still havent come close to an endgame raid in Warframe like Destiny has. I really like Warframe as an idea but everytime I play I find ways where my game time is obstructed by playing for free. The Arcwing quest requires you to grind areas for parts to build the Arcwing and each part also requires 5 hours of build time once you found them all lol.

Also theres no middle ground. New players have a very hard time coming into this game so late in its lifespan. Unless you know others playing still, you might not find a mission to do that others are also for a long time.

Also theres no middle ground. New players have a very hard time coming into this game so late in its lifespan. Unless you know others playing still, you might not find a mission to do that others are also for a long time.
I cna't speak for new players, as I jumped in on PC and then settled in at the PS4 launch and have spent hundreds of hours in it, but ... there is now a new player quest, to help get your feet wet, and it progressively unlocks aspects of the player ship, which then introduces those systems like mods and crafting. Warframe powers are no longer mod cars and aren't slotted on the frame anymore - they're base traits of the warframe, and they unlock at discrete levels, and grow in power with usage, so that helps. And the Codex has been significantly fleshed out.

All that said, yeah, the game is probably still daunting. Hell, even the latest update had me completely lost ;p

idk when I tried it it just seemed like a massive skinnerbox full of little inconveniences/paywalls
edit: oh and the timers, fuck that
Accurate. Its a free to play game after all. It all depends upon whether that skinner box is fun for you or not. And while I usually hate the shit out of microtransactions and grinds, I dunno, I just enjoy the gameplay here and how this particular game is monetized. Its the only free-to-play game I enjoy. The paywalls are only for inventory slots and visual customizations though. You can buy just about anything though.

bLaiSe

People who say this game has paywalls have not played it enough. It has one of the fairest F2P models. You can get most things by playing and you can even get the premium currency through trading. Just farm for a sellable prime piece or something, sell it on the market and you can buy the essential stuff for yourself. I've amassed thousands of platinum with trading (and I have also given away thousands on my twitch streams :) ) Still spent some money on the game to support the devs though.

Wtf is archwing.....it looks sick
Heh, it is.

Gameplay trailer here.

So far I've played extermination missions, like the video above, but there are also close quarters trench run missions which look amazing, and even better when you're flying through the internals of a ship to find the huge generator room, blowing it up and escaping before the whole thing explodes.

Next year we should see missions that include a mix of on-foot and archwing action.

Hollow

People who say this game has paywalls have not played it enough. It has one of the fairest F2P models. You can get most things by playing and you can even get the premium currency through trading. Just farm for a sellable prime piece or something, sell it on the market and you can buy the essential stuff for yourself. I've amassed thousands of platinum with trading (and I have also given away thousands on my twitch streams :) ) Still spent some money on the game to support the devs though.

Agreed.

I've put hundreds of hours into the game and have only spent $10 on it so far and that was just for Warframe and weapon slots.

The Wiki and official forums come in real handy when you're looking for a specific weapon or Warframe parts or blueprint.
The real complaint I have is the length it takes to build something in the foundry. I'm currently waiting for my Vauban to finish with 2 days left.

Uthred

Is there any good resource to get back up to speed with the game?

Pretty sure I still have a $20 credit

These are a little out of date, mostly pre-archwing, but still fairly handy

ibiAiIHNDzGw7K.png

Warframe guide second draft.pdf

Dunlop

thank you!
Went to fire up the game but it is d/l the update

I don't get the point of rest mode for my PS4, I always seem to have to download every update regardless

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
eh, i think for a game like this to work, it really needs to nail the game aspect, and warframe definitely did not do this. it just felt janky and wasnt fun.

Dunlop

Just updated and ran the game, it is unbelievable how beautiful this game looks now

Unfortunately every aspect is so different (map, mods,quests) that I kind of wish I had not played it before as I am totally freaking lost on what to do.

i.e Got the quest for the Arcwing (beatiful display popup with dialogoe) but had to google how to begin it as I have no freaking idea how to read the galaxy map now lol

Have to say, while chat can be silly, and trade is often full of passive agressive bullshit, the actual in-game and online communities for Warframe have been great. Maybe I've got lucky but I can think of literally only two instances where I got "griefed" by someone in game. For a game thats mostly anonymous co-op play its impressively free of assholes.

Yeah I did see some unsavory things in trade chat once in a while, but it just seemed very minimal compared to other games. As far as personal interactions I can't think of a single person that acted like a dick towards me. Won't say they don't exist of course but find it interesting that you have had a similar experience because I thought it may be luck as well.

I think this game would pull in more people if it were a little more beginner friendly. It is pretty damn slow starting off (unless this has changed since I last played.) I know I put it aside on two occasions (on PC then PS4) but when I finally just put a little more time into it man did I love it. So many different play styles to play around with in that game. Eventually bought platinum solely because I felt bad for getting so many hours of enjoyment from a game for free that I wouldn't even normally get from a AAA $60 game.

theWB27

This is by far my most played game on PS4. I think Im at around 343 hours since I picked my PS4 up in June I think. Even then it took me a month or so to really get started.

It's repetititititive as hell....but the grind is pretty easy. I mean...you can level a weapon or warframe up, fully, in about a day/day in a half.

Maybe what makes it even more fun is I have a little group of people I constantly run with.

The updates..man the updates are bigger than most paid DLC packs out there. It's just an easy game to lose hours in without having a clear goal. I like it....no love Warframe.

oneils

Have any decent video of the game? I downloaded it on steam a few months back, and I was pretty disappointed with the character animation and models. Looked pretty silly and ugly to me. Have they updated this?

DE really did work their asses off this year! Nuts to look at that list on the blog post.

As someone who started playing from the closed beta all the way up until just before the Archwing update, watching the game grow and evolve was amazing.

I hope to return to Warframe someday and be amazed all over again, but for now, I'm just beyond burned out.

PS: PC GAF was the best!

David___

Banned
Grimløck;144455128 said:
i have about 1000 hours in warframe. went back after update 14 and mirage and still felt burnt out. not compelled to jump back in quite yet.

Same. I just check back monthly to pick up the two trophies that come with the update and even then I still feel burnt :/

PC people, join GAF Clan ! we are still active !

I play this game every day for the past year. I have like 1000 gameplay hours now.

They have been pulling events and content like crazy these past two months. It's been glorious. The game really double in size and content since last year. So many great stuff

Two questions:
1) Is Nekros still bad?
2) Are Defense and Survival missions still just spamming OP ApE?

Nekros always been amazing. Sure, not the biggest tank. But amazingly capable. Syndicates now offer Augment mod for warframe and Nekros augment's is making him able to Revive and downed player at a distance with his first skill Soul Punch. You litteraly punch the soul of a teammate from a distance to bring him back up into action. He's even better now thanks to this. No need for Loki / Ash invisible trickery.

Nova nerf opened tons of new strategy for Survival and especially Defenses. We used to need a nova for massive repercussion and immediate dmg, as well as frost for bubbling everyone safe in the ice shield. But Nova doesn't Prime the entire map in the blink of the eye. Now you have to balance power strengh (slowing enemies, plus power of explosion) strech (radius of enemies exploding) and duration (time of the Prime expanding) and of course, still manage the cost of the power in energy. So new build appeared : go negative power and make enemies go faster (yes, faster ! run faster, attack faster) really good to speed up infested defenses. Or build on Slowing enemies, build on max duration (radius) or just build on cost management to spam all day.

For frost, now with both Exacl and Loki, we can disarm/blind enemies in defense so they will rush melee in the pod / player so we don't need the bubble shield. We can play with Nyx and mind control or with Vauban's bastille or crowd control. Personnally, I loved Nova as a main. Played all the time with her. Now I mostly play Nyx or Mesa. I hardly see as much Rhino or Nova as before. People still love theses in end game scenarios, they openened up the choices. Still some amazingly lame frame for end game though (Ember, Zephir...)

I played a little when it first dropped on Xbox One, liked it too. My only issue was that it's not very intuitive at all. I WANT to get back into it, but its a little daunting...

Will try again soon.

Warframe is about setting your own objective. What frame you want ? What mod you need for that build you want to play ? What gun looks fun to you ? Then go and get these. Sure it's mostly farming and grinding for the resources and parts but the core gameplay offer tons of things to make the grind enjoyable. I never got tired of the running, jumping, slicing, shooting in the game. Also, the Wiki is tons of help. Use it. And use reddit/r/warframe, the community is great.

Have any decent video of the game? I downloaded it on steam a few months back, and I was pretty disappointed with the character animation and models. Looked pretty silly and ugly to me. Have they updated this?

the game always stroke me as amazingly polished and pretty for a F2P. The art direction is bold and very organic for the frame and even enemies are distinctive. But ugly ? I don't share you point at all. Animation got some updates but mostly on advanced ones. Basic running and jumping is the same. Melee got totally revamp and they add hundreds of animation per weapons and combos.

Tzeentch

Fired it up against last night. New player experience is still one of the worst I've ever experienced :( A real pity too since I love the art style and the gameplay is pretty good, if repetitive.

Uthred

Fired it up against last night. New player experience is still one of the worst I've ever experienced :( A real pity too since I love the art style and the gameplay is pretty good, if repetitive.

Its still not great but the new tutorial is a big improvement, as a returning player you may not have gone through it (I think theres an option to skip if youre above a certain rank). But it does give a pretty solid intro to the games systems. There were a few other changes to make it more welcoming to new players ("Shattered" mods, etc.)

Its still not great but the new tutorial is a big improvement, as a returning player you may not have gone through it (I think theres an option to skip if youre above a certain rank). But it does give a pretty solid intro to the games systems. There were a few other changes to make it more welcoming to new players ("Shattered" mods, etc.)

you had the option to skip it but if you haven't log ever since they added it now, you have to go through. And it's pretty great. You can choose new starter weapons and you get parts of your new ship

BiggNife

While the improvements to the gameplay sound neat, the gameplay wasn't really the problem I had with Warframe - it was its insanely grindy nature and the repetitiveness of reusing the same room layouts over and over and over. It was fun for a few hours but once my friends and I realized the rest of the game it just those first three hours over and over again ad infinitum we gave up on it.

Uthred

While the improvements to the gameplay sound neat, the gameplay wasn't really the problem I had with Warframe - it was its insanely grindy nature and the repetitiveness of reusing the same room layouts over and over and over. It was fun for a few hours but once my friends and I realized the rest of the game it just those first three hours over and over again ad infinitum we gave up on it.

Theyve added in a lot more tilesets, layouts and missions which play fairly differently (as well as the archwing missions which are in space), theres a lot more variety now and some of the new tilesets are pretty cool looking (love the ice planet one)

TEH-CJ

Banned
Can someone please enlighten me as to why the death animations physics got a complete downgrade compared to the original unpatched version? seriously the same old canned mexican dance animation is just terrible and repetitive.

is it so hard to implement a decent animation system? heck they had a great animation and physics system in the original version!

Every mission has a randomized layout, so you will see the same areas repeat, but its a different overall map every time you play. The great thing about getting used to the same areas is that they each have parkour opportunities that can learn to take advantage of, and unlike a Diablo with randomized areas, the environment really matters here when it comes to both combat and movement and resource collection.

oneils

the game always stroke me as amazingly polished and pretty for a F2P. The art direction is bold and very organic for the frame and even enemies are distinctive. But ugly ? I don't share you point at all. Animation got some updates but mostly on advanced ones. Basic running and jumping is the same. Melee got totally revamp and they add hundreds of animation per weapons and combos.

Just installed it on ps4. The UI is much nicer. I do find the models ugly, though. That's just my opinion. The models available in the early game just look like they are made of clay or rubber. The screenshots in this thread are much nicer.

Seems to be improved over the version I played on pc several months ago. I'll have to try it out some more.

Jobbs

Banned
In the weeks following PS4 launch I played this quite a bit -- but ultimately quit because of the ridiculously low framerate experienced any time a lot of action was going on. It was unforgivable.

If that's fixed I may try again.

Hollow

In the weeks following PS4 launch I played this quite a bit -- but ultimately quit because of the ridiculously low framerate experienced any time a lot of action was going on. It was unforgivable.

Framerate has been much improved over the early builds on PS4 but they can still sharply drop when you have 4 Warframes in a round with dozens of enemies and abilities being used.

Framerate has been improved so much that its a world of difference to those early days. And even when there are drops its nothing like those early days framerates in the teens and single digits you'd see in survival missions.

The models available in the early game just look like they are made of clay or rubber.
Funny you should mention that. In the 2014 retrospective they talk about rolling out PBR rendering, and in the dev stream they spoke of this making things look more like their natural materials rather than giving that rubbery look. Its a work in progress though as they have to work it out for a lot of assets.

Warframe Blog post said:
* Slow expansion of Physically Based Rendering (PBR)

impact

Banned
More importantly, does the game drop frames out the ass in 4 player still? Shit was unplayable at PS4 launch.

jond76

Banned

Can you choose to play the tutorial from a menu or something? I'd like to run thru it.

atpbx

My problem is I am completely burnt out on it.

It also has fundamental issues the Devs won't aknowledge or address as well.

I was invited to the design council a couple of months ago as I was quite active on the forums, I thought I would get chance to bring ideas to the table and raise issues etc.

It turned out to be nothing but voting on weapon skins and being shown what they were doing early and that was that.

I logged on last week and bought Mesa and played for a couple of hours, but it was like going back into video game combat zone the flash backs of the fuck ton of RNG and grind I was facing just made me turn off as I couldn't face it.

Zakalwe

Banned
They're all for nothing, all of these loot games.

Not in the same way, no.

Warframe is even more for nothing as there's nowhere to take all the gear you've earnt and truly put it to the test.

But then again I've never understood the desire for end-games. End-game is when you decide you're done, otherwise end-game systems can always be described as another more difficult grind for the game's loot.

You don't understand end game raid style content.

Raids are about figuring out encounters as a team. Puzzle solving and finding the most efficient routes. Working together to overcome something seemingly insurmountable. It can be exhilarating stuff, and even Destiny nailed it.

It's also something to aim for as you grind. It's a reason to acquire all this gear. It's not "where you decide you're done". In many ways it's where you decide you've begun, actually, the point that all the progress feels truly worth it.

At least here the game is free, so you'r not out $60 if you get burned out, and there's no barriers to jumping back in like you get with premium DLC.

You said it yourself, the game can be incredibly confusing to jump back into. For a veteran player to be made to feel like a newbie again is most certainly a barrier.

I don't play Warframe like an MMO though. For me its just a fun time to wall run and shoot bad guys in the face, run circles around enemies while hip-firing a bow (the best shit ever), or disembowel em with a pole-arm or glaive throw, and to do all of this solo or with a few buddies.

Not mutually exclusive things. You can do this in better designed games that have end game focus too.

So you could say I just play it more like a co-op hack and slash and shooter hybrid, and all the progression stuff is just bonus stuff you unlock over time. But that's me, and for my tastes its got far more variety on offer than Destiny, by miles and miles.

Quantify that variety please, I honestly don't see it.

Adding in multi-hour, trial and error based dungeons against bullet-sponge bosses isn't my idea of a good time anyway. But, you know, different strokes for different folks.

So instead of adding challenging content you need to overcome by working together with a team, you'd rather just run and gun mindlessly /all/ the time?

Different strokes indeed.

The biggest difference between bullet sponges in Warframe and in other games is that - thanks to Damage 2.0 - you can actually customize an arsenal to take down specific bosses.
If they're heavily shielded you bring in magnetic and cold, if they're armored up the ass, you can look up the armor composition on the wiki, or scan the enemies with the Codex scanner to do the same, and then pick the best weapons and slot a solid set of mods to counter-act that particular sponginess. At the very highest levels of difficulty and in endless wave-based games, eventually the enemies so out-level the players that there isn't much that can be done besides smart group composition, but even then you can craft an arsenal and team to take the most advantage of how the enemies scale in difficulty.

Customising load outs based on the threat or to exploit enemy weakness is not a unique system.

And raid style content is about puzzle solving and group co-ordination much more than Warframe has ever been, there's much more to raid style content tan bullet sponges.

Also endless wave does not require any kind of "smart group composition". It's just a power spam fest, and to edge a little further forward than last time you just need slightly better gear. This isn't "intelligently crafting an arsenal", it isn't a selling point.

-

I get that you enjoy Warframe's core hack and slash gameplay, and that's perfectly fine.

You're playing down the lack of end game and trying to dismiss raid style content as redundant while singing the praises of endless wave gear checks, though, which I have a difficult time understanding.

Why would you not yearn for more intelligently designed content for the game you love? Why not have both the hack and slash style gameplay /and/ the raid style content?

Top Bottom