• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare's new game to "push the limits of Unreal Engine 4"

Durock

Microsoft is the only company without a mascot platformer. Banjo could easily fill that void and it would look astonishing in UE4!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
New IP please.
There's no sizeable audience for AAA platformers on Xbox anyway, despite what forum goers like to believe. I mean, I'd love a gen8 Conker but it would sell like shit, Banjo would bomb even harder.
Make an action-adventure game or something, a 3rd person Joanna Dark (no TPS/FPS if possible).

New IP please.
There's no sizeable audience for AAA platformers on Xbox anyway, despite what forum goers like to believe. I mean, I'd love a gen8 Conker but it would sell like shit, Banjo would bomb even harder.
Make an action-adventure game or something, a 3rd person Joanna Dark (no TPS/FPS if possible).

So....instead of maybe grabbing some guaranteed fan base with a familiar, if absent, series, go do a new IP for the sake of a new IP where there's no guarantee in attachment? I would like a new IP as I don't have a connection with Conker or Banjo Kazooi, but the logic doesn't check out.

Platformers can do well if the right audience is targeted and marketed to. Xbox is not just dude bros, despite what form goers like to believe.

Gartooth

New IP please.

Based on Spencer's comments being "uniquely Rare" we already know it won't be a run of the mill AAA game. (I consider classic Perfect Dark pretty unique in today's industry)

I don't see any problem anyway with MS funding a Banjo or a Conker. They could certainly use the goodwill it would make, and they have done unique projects with Xbone already like Sunset Overdrive and Scalebound.

freefornow

Gold Member
Kinect Sports can look pretty sweet, yeah.

iDdVFca.gif

With the seemingly large number of "Kinectless" xbox ones that have been sold, Rare needs to patch controller support into this game. While they are at it, release this "wave race" as a separate download for $2.99 and it will sell a shitload.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
So....instead of maybe grabbing some guaranteed fan base with a familiar, if absent, series, go do a new IP for the sake of a new IP where there's no guarantee in attachment? I would like a new IP as I don't have a connection with Conker or Banjo Kazooi, but the logic doesn't check out.

Platformers can do well if the right audience is targeted and marketed to. Xbox is not just dude bros, despite what form goers like to believe.

Additionally, there's always the possibility to gain new customers. Banjo might not be the most fitting game for the Gears / Halo / Forza crowd, but that there are a sizeable amount of platformer fans, younger players and families and if Microsoft can grab this audience over Sony (of course, they'd be competing with Nintendo here), that could well be an advantage that could also lead to growing the diversity of the platform. The safer bet would probably be Perfect Dark 2, first person shooter. But it wouldn't help diversify and broaden the Xbox One ecosphere.

-MD-

I'm telling you guys, it's gonna be Viva Pinata. It was even teased on their Christmas card last year.

20140109012147746826.jpg

Doesn't really mean anything, they teased Killer Instinct on their Christmas card back in like 2007, ended up coming out 6 years later from a different dev.

Sponge

Banned
Doesn't really mean anything, they teased Killer Instinct on their Christmas card back in like 2007, ended up coming out 6 years later from a different dev.

That is true, I'll give you that. Rare did wanna do their own KI3 but I remember hearing Microsoft wouldn't give it the go ahead.

Alx

With the seemingly large number of "Kinectless" xbox ones that have been sold, Rare needs to patch controller support into this game.

Why would they ? Playing Kinect sports with a controller is like playing guitar hero with a keyboard, it would work, maybe even with better accuracy, but without the fun.

Prine

Banned
Looks like lots of interest still for Rare. Id love a new Conker or Perfect Dark but should be a hybrid 3rd person/1st person like Mirrors Edge.

And I believe, more so any other time its fairly probable one of these may happen, what Phil has done is breath hope into the Xbox library for gaming fans. In the past I may have said, 'it'd be nice' but I do have far more confidence that this can happen, Crackdown, Halo collection, Phantom Dust and Killer Instinct has proven that Phil is OK with risk, or at least far more than Mattrick...

Roll on #e3 and 2015 the year of Rare. Hope Robin Beanland is reading this, looking forward to see what you have in store for Rare fans :)

I would love for Rare to return to their former glory. I don't know if that is possible but it is exciting that they are gonna try and push boundaries with Unreal Engine 4.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member

Viva Piñata in 2019 confirmed!!!

PDZ remastered? Finally, this man can have some redemption...

iUXSvMc9HXgD3.jpg

Why doesn't Wall Guy have his own game yet?

EDIT: Holy shit he would be a great sidekick character in a Conker game.

BokehKing

Banned
Xbox is not just dude bros, despite what form goers like to believe.
Yes that's true, doesn't change the fact that Microsoft seems to primarily go after that audience.
That's an image thing they need to shake
Xbox needs to be known as more than the home of "shooters and racers"

It needs a healthy injection of platforming and jrpg

ViciousDS

Banned
bring back splashdown please!

They already have great wave racing support with kinect.....just need to patch that controller in!

13801_front.jpg

amazing soundtrack and amazing wave racing game

Yoshi

Microsoft is the only company without a mascot platformer. Banjo could easily fill that void and it would look astonishing in UE4!

Sony does not have any good macot platformers (disregarding Jak & Daxter, but that's almost as old as Banjo-Tooie) either, so Microsoft could very well get that segment of the market to choose Xbox One over PS4 as a companion for Wii U ;).

BokehKing

Banned
Sony does not have any good macot platformers (disregarding Jak & Daxter, but that's almost as old as Banjo-Tooie) either, so Microsoft could very well get that segment of the market to choose Xbox One over PS4 as a companion for Wii U ;).
Ratchet and Clank
They may not be Mario cute but they are up there in solid titles with a remake and movie coming out.

Microsoft has master chief, that's their flagship mascot, conker like killer instinct... It's like 'can't get the best thing so let's settle on 3rd best and make it shiny'

Microsoft needs a new IP plain and simple look at sunset over drive, fun game, not exactly family friendly but yeah, going after 'that audience' again.

Microsoft does best with fresh slates

Yoshi

Ratchet and Clank
They may not be Mario cute but they are up there in solid titles with a remake and movie coming out.

It's not about cuteness, but Ratchet isn't even a platformer, it's definitely more of a action game than a game about platforming.

Top Bottom