• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Final Fantasy Type-0 HD remastered soundtrack details (1 new song+English theme)

Some new details from new Famitsu interview with Takeharu Ishimoto
  • There is a new English version of the song "Colorful Falling In Love." SAWA (who sang many tracks on The World Ends With You) translated the lyrics from Japanese to English and is one of the singers. Ishimoto says it sounds more like grown-up women rather than the "girly" original version.
  • There is one all-new composition. Ishimoto says it is a very "heavy" track and he hopes it impacts listeners' emotions.
  • Ishimoto says the fact that Type 0 was never released overseas is motivating him to do his best on remastering the music.
  • It seems that the budget for the music remaster was fairly small and he had to do a lot of the work himself. Some of the original Type-0 soundtrack was recorded at the Sydney Opera House with the help of staff there, but this time, he had to do the mixing himself.
  • There will be a Blu-ray soundtrack release for Type 0 HD (this has already been reported)

I thought they would leave the theme in Japanese, huh...

Anyway, if it's the same music with English lyrics that's fine, SAWA is awesome.

I also want to listen to that new track, Ishimoto is so good.

Wagram

It's my preference but I would rather they leave the music in Japanese. I feel much different when it comes to dub (because I don't understand the language) but my taste with the music is different.

A nice double standard of mine I suppose.

Thoraxes

As long as the vocalist remains the same, I'm usually happy with the music regardless of the language. It's timbre that's most important to me.

Wait its a remaster ost like FFX?

Oh comon give me the option for the original, I want to be able to hear it the way it was intended.

Hell its a bluray give me both!

Reveirg

Oh comon give me the option for the original, I want to be able to hear it the way it was intended.

Ishimoto is the original composer and is given more time and resources to improve on his original work. Pretty sure the remastered OST better qualifies as "the way it was intended".

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I don't even remember that track playing in the game, listening to it now I can't imagine where it would have been used. Translating Zero would make much more sense.

I thought they said that they weren't changing any of the game's content, wonder what that new track is for.

Illucio

Banned
Listened to the song... Very girlish and completely awful J-Pop music in general. But if the song was slightly slower and had a more mature women singing it would be a much better song. I'm excited to hear the English version of the song.

Falk

that puzzling face

Hell its a bluray give me both!

Ishimoto is the original composer and is given more time and resources to improve on his original work. Pretty sure the remastered OST better qualifies as "the way it was intended".

Actually, ditto for FFX. It's perfectly fine to prefer the original but get some perspective here.

On topic, Type-0's soundtrack is hella underrated. I hope the PS4 remaster gives it a second shot at gaining traction, especially outside of Japan.

[*] It seems that the budget for the music remaster was fairly small

I'm glad I'm not the one saying this lol.

Dantis

SAWA is the singer on Calling, right? Because Calling was great.

Ishimoto's soundtrack is probably the thing I'm most interested in for Type 0.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Do not, I repeat, DO NOT keep the original english name for the title track. On the first Theatrhythm, FFT0's song was called "We Have Arrived". For Curtain Call, it was renamed "We Have Come" like it is on the original soundtrack. Whoever originally translated the title clearly did it wrong. We Have Arrived is the superior title.

Famassu

No thanks. See: George Lucas
Not the same thing at all. Remastering OSTs for more capable hardware is just the obvious thing to do and if they can re-arrange the tracks for and use actual orchestras or at least better quality midi sound libraries, then they should. Besides, Square Enix has done a wonderful job with their rearranged/remastered OSTs. FFX HD's OST is mostly superior to the original (with, at most, a few misses) and the KH1.5 & 2.5 OSTs are pretty much 100% improvements (maybe one or two worse than originals). Even the "worse" ones aren't exactly horrible in the same way George Lucas' additions to OG Star Wars are horrible, just tiny bit not as good/great as the originals.

Asd202

Some new details from new Famitsu interview with Takeharu Ishimoto
  • There is a new English version of the song "Colorful Falling In Love." SAWA (who sang many tracks on The World Ends With You) translated the lyrics from Japanese to English and is one of the singers. Ishimoto says it sounds more like grown-up women rather than the "girly" original version.
  • There is one all-new composition. Ishimoto says it is a very "heavy" track and he hopes it impacts listeners' emotions.
  • Ishimoto says the fact that Type 0 was never released overseas is motivating him to do his best on remastering the music.
  • It seems that the budget for the music remaster was fairly small and he had to do a lot of the work himself. Some of the original Type-0 soundtrack was recorded at the Sydney Opera House with the help of staff there, but this time, he had to do the mixing himself.
  • There will be a Blu-ray soundtrack release for Type 0 HD (this has already been reported)

The struggle is real

A
On topic, Type-0's soundtrack is hella underrated. I hope the PS4 remaster gives it a second shot at gaining traction, especially outside of Japan.

It's good stuff. I've had the soundtrack for a couple years even though I haven't yet played the game (I own a copy but my backlog is intimidating).

I feel that Ishimoto is the prime candidate for doing a future roman-numeral FF. Seems that Square likes to give that seat to someone new every game ever since Uematsu left.

HiroTSK5

I don't even know how you would even improve some of the songs in this game, most of it already sounds like live instruments.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXp1dGuW0xU

Also they have to keep Zero in the game since characters in the game sing/hum the song at different points. Granted they could translate it or just use an Instrumental like they did for Tales of the Abyss which also had a main theme by Bump of Chicken.

Geg

I didn't even know there were vocal songs in the game other than Zero lol.

I hope Zero is still kept in unchanged though, it's such a good song

Falk

that puzzling face
That stems from his background in punk rock really.

Soken's dad is actually from Okinawa and knows Shota. Was funny when they found out.

Varion

Edited:
The AKB48 songs were indeed crap.

The official theme song is Zero by Bump of Chicken. I really hope they didn't remove that. Keep it in the Japanese dub at least.

You can hear that song here.
http://www.jpopsuki.tv/video/BUMP-OF-CHICKEN---Zero/b3a585aa2ea05db6137f08cc7bbb406b
I'd be genuinely sad if they got rid of Zero. Not only is it a great song, it fits perfectly. Musically, lyrically, the whole lot. Really made the ending something worth remembering.

No idea why they're even bothering to remaster the OST though, I thought it was great as it was.

wmlk

Haven't finished the whole game, but I just wanted to link Peaceful Times from the OST. The Academy with this music was really special. One of my favourite themes from FF.

Falk

that puzzling face
(If you want my honest opinion, FFXIV ARR was underbudgeted in the 'we didn't get a live orchestra' way. But that's my own personal professional career bias at work :V)

And yes, there's more factors at play than just budget. The insanely fast turnaround for one.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Listened to the song... Very girlish and completely awful J-Pop music in general. But if the song was slightly slower and had a more mature women singing it would be a much better song. I'm excited to hear the English version of the song.

It's important to consider the context that you'd actually hear the song in-game. I won't spoil it but, as annoying as the song is, it kind of works. I'd be surprised if very many people even get to the point where they'd hear it.

That said, I kind of think that it's a bit strange that they'd be remaking the ost when it's already extremely high quality and not burdened by being tone generated in the first place.

I'd be genuinely sad if they got rid of Zero. Not only is it a great song, it fits perfectly. Musically, lyrically, the whole lot. Really made the ending something worth remembering.

Zero was featured in the last trailer, so I wouldn't worry about that.

DeSolos

No idea why they're even bothering to remaster the OST though, I thought it was great as it was.

Zero is still in and has been unchanged. They tried to get Bump of Chicken to record it in English, but ended up deciding against it. The English version will have subtitles so that we can understand the lyrics.

Jeels

I'm good with this. If I'm playing the game in English I expect the music lyrics to be in English as well.

Reveirg

(If you want my honest opinion, FFXIV ARR was underbudgeted in the 'we didn't get a live orchestra' way. But that's my own personal professional career bias at work :V)

And yes, there's more factors at play than just budget. The insanely fast turnaround for one.

Seriously, 2 days to deliver a song is pretty insane for such a high-profile production. And they keep pumping out new tracks with each update. O_O

Zoe

Somebody needs to ask Tabata about Zero during the AMA or something :\

I would be supremely annoyed if the song is in English even if you select the Japanese voices though.

Somebody needs to ask Tabata about Zero during the AMA or something :\

I would be supremely annoyed if the song is in English even if you select the Japanese voices though.

He already confirmed that Zero will be in Japanese with English subtitles.

Geg

It's nice to know Zero is still in at least.

Somewhat unrelated, what was SE's actual reason for replacing XIII's theme song with My Hands?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Somewhat unrelated, what was SE's actual reason for replacing XIII's theme song with My Hands?

Appealing to western bros who watch ESPN and Spike TV or something idk...

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
what is this shit

Indistinguishable bad Japanese pop by AKB48.

Probably the same reason why they did a launch party for XIII with Maxim lol...Bad marketing to reach a market that is not interested in their games.

Bladenic

That's a really weird oversight.

I'm guessing Bump of Chicken can't sing in English and they don't want to find an English singer for something that's not a mainline title. And even then, I think all main themes were sung in English by the original singer or left in Japanese. X-2 and the XIII series being exceptions.

Top Bottom