• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Santa Monica having God of War event in March; expects "significant role" in next PSX

FATALITY

Banned
Personally I'm done with Kratos. If they're keeping him they'd have to do something very bold to keep me interested but we'll see.

There's only so many ways you can try to justify Kratos rage. GoW1 almost did it great but by GoW3 I was decidedly done.

image.php

Keep Kratos in it, but as the endgame for a new protagonist. By the end of GOW3, Kratos had done some monumentally shitty things on a fairly frequent basis and had become very difficult to sympathize with, so use that as your jumping off point for a story of how the new God of War will suffer no "pretenders to the throne", so they hunt down and finally defeat the old one (Kratos).
I been saying something pretty similar. Kratos is nothing but a roving deigenocidal madman, slaughtering pantheons around the globe. You'd be the God of War in another pantheon thrown into chaos by his arrival (hopefully Aztec Mythology). Have it be a duology with Kratos as the final boss of both games.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Just listened to the Blogcast this week, they strongly tease something is happening on Friday. Skip to around 21:15 mark or so. Guess something is going to get announced tomorrow

Passive aggressive avatar quoting has always been a thing here. Especially if you happen to want an anime avatar.
Huh? I don't get what my boring avatar I evidently gave 30 seconds of thought has anything to do with what I said:

Bring me more GoW but I'm tired of Kratos.

Huh? I don't get what my boring avatar I evidently gave 30 seconds of thought has anything to do with what I said:

Bring me more GoW but I'm tired of Kratos.
I think they found it funny that you're tired of Kratos, which has been in maybe 10 games, some of which are cameos, where as Mario has been in probably 100+ games.

I think they found it funny that you're tired of Kratos, which has been in maybe 10 games, some of which are cameos, where as Mario has been in probably 100+ games.
If that's so then so what? I don't have to like every character forever! Mario's character, at least to me, unlike Kratos hasnt gone stale. Just because I like a 30 year old character doesn't have to mean I have to like forever another character.

That's a difference between a classic and timeless character and one that ran its course. And for me Kratos is done.

Besides, as far as main home console Mario platformers both 2D and 3D he hasn't been as prolific and tiresome as many might think. Since the NES he has had, by my count, 11 main games where he is the star in home consoles. For a 30 year old tenure that's not much.

The day main Mario games go annual is the day I stop buying Mario platformers.

Jigorath

Banned
Darksiders 2 felt like the natural evolution of God of War. The next entry should build on top of that. I don't know if it needs to be open world but large open levels would be nice. And scrap the multiplayer. No need for it in God of War.

That's hoping for a lot I feel. This isn't a big event like the VGX and GoW4 is at least a Holiday 2016 or even a 2017 title. Way too early.

Well they did reveal Ascension out of nowhere so it's not too crazy to expect something like a CG 1 min trailer or even a concept art. But I guess being this close to E3 wouldn't hurt to push the announcement until June.

Javin98

Banned
Can't wait for an announcement for the next game. I hope SSM keeps Kratos but changes the setting (Norse or Egyptian sounds interesting) and revamps the combat. As refined as the combat was by GOW3, it's starting to get a bit stale. Open world with side quests sounds nice, so I'm hoping for the best.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
That said, I don't think there's anything left for him to do. Forcing the continuation of his story will only cheapen him as a character along with his world.
Heh, his "world" is that of Greek myth, rife with stories of eternal punishment and damnation. "Forcing continuation" is what Greek gods do for breakfast. ;)

I think there's room here to start untethering him from his Greek origins and maybe go a more Highlander-ish route, immortals from myth and legend fighting a cosmic struggle across time and space.

klaushm

God you're fast, Shinobi-san :D

Calling it now, God of war saga remastered for ps4

PSX was really cool, it was a good decision to launch that event.

Cool. Interested for whats in store. The more important news for me in regards to this is another PSX.

They also confirm Rapture will be released next year - did we know that for sure already?

How many gods does Kratos still have to kill?

6 first posts, 3 deaths by the G
M
ods of war.

Wait a second, people want the new God of War to be an open world game? Can't say I agree with that.

Edit: And there is one thing I am wondering. With all the hate to QTE design nowadays, will SSM decide to ditch it and replace it with new mechanics or keep it and implement it in a different way?

One among the few studios that hasn't disappointed with the games that they have developed so far(God of War1,2,3,Ascension). I am with you SSM, the entire god of war community is with you till the end!

Javin98

Banned
Wait a second, people want the new God of War to be an open world game? Can't say I agree with that.

Edit: And there is one thing I am wondering. With all the hate to QTE design nowadays, will SSM decide to ditch it and replace it with new mechanics or keep it and implement it in a different way?
Well, I don't actually want an open world GOW, to be honest. I just want the next game to be more open and less linear like the evolution Uncharted is going through right now. Above all else, I want a complete overhaul to the combat system. Regarding QTE's, I'm fine with them but toning them down a notch would be nice.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
One among the few studios that hasn't disappointed with the games that they have developed so far(God of War1,2,3,Ascension). I am with you SSM, the entire god of war community is with you till the end!
Yep. I'm so excited for this. :)

sn00zer

Im hoping for Egyptian, but its probably Norse....
I just feel like the Egyptian aesthetic would be more colorful...although a lot of god of war creatures borrowed heavily from egyptian garb so idk.

Relativ9

It's gonna be Norse mythology guys, and I'm not just saying that cause I'm Norwegian.

With the huge uptick in their popularity (The show Vikings, the 3 movies currently being made, the wildlings in GOT, and the Marvel movies) they'd be fools not to capitalize on it.

You'll play as Tyr (the god of war, law, and heroic justice) as he at the start of the game is betrayed by Odin or some shit, and has to fight his way back up the ladder of God's in Asgard, you'll probably have Loki as a nebulous ally.

It's gonna be Vikings guys, and I'm not just saying that cause I'm Norwegian. With the huge uptick in their popularity (The show Vikings, the 3 movies currently being made, the wildlings in GOT, the Marvel movies) they'd be fools not to capitalize on it. You'll play Tyr as he at the start of the game is usurped by Odin, and has to fight his way back up the ladder of God's in Valhalla, you'll probably have Loki as a nebulous ally.

Nah.

You'll play a fallen Jomsviking, revived to Asgard servitude as an Einhenjar. One of the gods decided to screw over your Valkyrie and her Einhenjars, and killed everyone. Only you and the Valkyrie survived. Revenge time.

Top Bottom