• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best headphones for the Xbox One?

hwalker84

I have the Xbox One Stereo headphones and while they're ok I want something more premium. The wife is getting angry over my late night gaming and these stereo headsets don't give me the sound I want compared to my surround sound system.

I'm looking for either wireless or wired designed to work with the Xbox one's controller output and has chat functionality. Thanks

OverHeat

« generous god »
I have the Xbox One Stereo headphones and while they're ok I want something more premium. The wife is getting angry over my late night gaming and these stereo headsets don't give me the sound I want compared to my surround sound system.

I'm looking for either wireless or wired designed to work with the Xbox one's controller output and has chat functionality. Thanks
A50 or A40 if you want headset

B4D1E

I'm using the Astro A50 and they're a blast to play with. They're expensive (299€) but worth it.

I use my Pulse Elites through the headphone jack. Works like a dream. So I'm wired for xone, wireless for PC and PS4, with just one set o' cans.

As some people have said already astro makes great headsets. I'm using the a40 and I love it. You can even just get an astro Mixamp and then get a different headset, like a steel series headset, to use with it if you really wanted.

Orca

I use my Sennheiser PC-360s and they work great. Super comfortable, which is every bit as important as sound to me. If you already have a set you like, you might want to try using them instead of looking for new ones.

I run these through the adapter with a 4-pin 3.5mm to 2x 3.5mm 3-pin splitter.

IfkevwA.jpg

dwells

Get a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50's and a ModMic.
I think the M50s are a bit overhyped, especially now that the price has inflated a bit, but this is the best suggestion thus far.

Don't waste your money on overpriced "gaming" headphones with mediocre at best sound quality. Pick up a good set of high quality headphones and use them. If noise leakage is acceptable, look into some open-back headphones - you'll get a nice wider soundstage and it'll feel less like you're listenin to two speakers on your head and more immersive.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
If all you want are headphones, but no mic why not get some decent AKGs or something. I've got AKG 240s and am quite happy with them.

Edit: Nvm, missed the chat functionality part.

Rizific

im in the same boat as the OP. only difference being i want something wireless and that will work with the x1, ps4, and wii u. i think ive settled on the sony gold headset. i know ill have to get the stereo add on in order for it to work with the x1 and im ok with that, but will it also work with the wii u? definitely not dropping the coin on a set of A50s because i know damn well that $300 isnt going to get me a $300 sounding headset. ive already got a pair of audio technica A700 cans that i use for my pc, but again wireless is an important feature for my consoles. i dont want a 10ft cord running across my living room. what other options do i have left? honestly not looking to spend much more than the playstation golds.

adelante

I'd recommend a TurtleBeach or any headset with mic monitoring. Being able to listen to yourself has helped me keep my voicechat level down in the room at night haha

Derpyduck

Banned
Does the Xbox one controller output surround? I don't necessarily need wireless.

Yes, but you need to buy the headset adapter for 25 bucks. It has a headphone jack as well as volume up and down for both game volume and the voice/game mixer. Also has a mute mic button. Some headphones made for Xbox One like the official headset or the Astro A50X comes with the adapter.

hwalker84

Yes, but you need to buy the headset adapter for 25 bucks. It has a headphone jack as well as volume up and down for both game volume and the voice/game mixer. Also has a mute mic button. Some headphones made for Xbox One like the official headset or the Astro A50X comes with the adapter.

In the OP I state I have the stereo Xbox headphones.

nawwafh

Im looking for headphones to use with the ps3,ps4 and pc..
Preferably Bluetooth wireless..
Currently using the pulse elites and its perfect for what i want but that build quality is horrendous.. the cups are basically hanging with wires atm..
Wanted to get the PS Gold Headphones but i hear the build quality is also crap..
What other options do i have..?
Im ok with having to use a USB dongle btw..
The a50s arent bluetooth are they?

Get a Microsoft Xbox One Audio Adapter and then watch these videos.

$150 headphones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dj5G0isn9Y

$200+ headphones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgTnJ3JQQ0E

You will need a Vmoda BoomPro Mic for voice as a modmic 4.0 needs a separate microphone jack to work.

Great videos, extremely useful with lots of new info for me.

So only 3 items: the Xbox adapter, the Vmoda BoomPro Mic and any good pair of headphones, got it. Maybe an amp if it's available. The Sennheisser solution above seems good too.

Orayn

Get a Microsoft Xbox One Audio Adapter and then watch these videos.

$150 headphones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dj5G0isn9Y

$200+ headphones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgTnJ3JQQ0E

You will need a Vmoda BoomPro Mic for voice as a modmic 4.0 needs a separate microphone jack to work.

You can still do this sort of thing with a ModMic 4.0, it just requires a cable that joins a 3.5mm mic plug and 3.5mm stereo plug into a single TRRS. That's exactly what Orca is doing, the mic just happens to be built in.

I use my Sennheiser PC-360s and they work great. Super comfortable, which is every bit as important as sound to me. If you already have a set you like, you might want to try using them instead of looking for new ones.

I run these through the adapter with a 4-pin 3.5mm to 2x 3.5mm 3-pin splitter.

IfkevwA.jpg

Using a ModMic is also somewhat more flexible since the VModa BoomPro is only an option for headphones whose cable exits through a single 3.5mm stereo jack. Some cans us a mono 3.5mm jack for each side or don't have a detachable cable at all.

So yeah, the parts list with a ModMic only includes one more item, an adapter like this.

Heysoos

I have the official Xbox One headset, couldn't be happier. That said I only paid 30. Amazing pair for that price.

Hubble

I bought the Astro A50 wireless headset and I would not recommend it. Expected more from the audio quality for such a premium headset.

If you are going to use the controller adapter to listen to game audio then there is no point in getting anything high end in terms of headphones. The audio signal is greatly degraded since it's sent wirelessly to the controller.

Dynomutt

I think the M50s are a bit overhyped, especially now that the price has inflated a bit, but this is the best suggestion thus far.

Don't waste your money on overpriced "gaming" headphones with mediocre at best sound quality. Pick up a good set of high quality headphones and use them. If noise leakage is acceptable, look into some open-back headphones - you'll get a nice wider soundstage and it'll feel less like you're listenin to two speakers on your head and more immersive.

What about V-Moda's and the boom mic pro?

If you are going to use the controller adapter to listen to game audio then there is no point in getting anything high end in terms of headphones. The audio signal is greatly degraded since it's sent wirelessly to the controller.

So it's better if you plug your headphones to the A/V Receiver (if you have one) and the external mic to the X1 adapter or am I missing something?
The problem with the Vmoda BoomPro's seems to be that the only way to attach them to the side is by plugging it using its 3.5mm connector.

I own Turtle Beach Stealth 500x and they work great and are completely wireless, nothing to plug into controller. Amazon had them for 229 at one point.

I had the MS stereo headphones and would not recommend them to anyone, the fold up boom mic is too short and i constantly had to wear the left "can" off my ear so people could hear me.

I want a headphones too, but I think I decided on just waiting on the 800x Stealth for X1 from TB. I was gonna get the astro's but after seeing that 800x think I'll just hold out for that. I don't want to spend that much on headsets but it has a lot of functionality and I can use it with my PS4 and other bluetooth devices.

e90Mark

So it's better if you plug your headphones to the A/V Receiver (if you have one) and the external mic to the X1 adapter or am I missing something?
The problem with the Vmoda BoomPro's seems to be that the only way to attach them to the side is by plugging it using its 3.5mm connector.

Basically. People use an Astro Mixamp or similar to make it easier.

The BoomPro does only work with cans that have a detachable cable, as it replaces the cable.

Basically. People use an Astro Mixamp or similar to make it easier.

The BoomPro does only work with cans that have a detachable cable, as it replaces the cable.

A thing or two about it for any user reading this, that found out:

M50s don't work with Vmoda's mic as they don't have a detachable cable.
The M50x version has a removable cable, but uses a proprietary connector.

As for ModMic 4.0:

Product specs:
Jack: 3.5mm plated TRS for use with PCs
Play Station 4: works fine through controller via a CTIA/TRRS adapter. Sounds strange at times if used through mixamp)
Mac/PS3/Xbox 360 headset jacks with proper adapter (Macs will need a USB adapter)
We're still working on final results for Xbox One (no solid solution yet)

I thought this would be a lot easier...:D

Grief.exe

If your main issue is sound quality than Astro, Turtle Beach, et al are not the way to go. Gaming branded peripherals play on ignorance to dramatically increase the price.

Apparently modmics are of very high quality.

Jakabok

Personally I found the offical stereo headset to be garbage with tinny sound which kept cutting out all the time. They sounded a bit better plugged into the PS4 controller which made me think that the headset adapter was contributing to the tinniness.

Took 'em back to the shop and got the solo headest adapter (comes with 2.5 to 3.5 cable). Now using my old Turtle Beach X12's with the game audio coming direct from the TV and the chat from the adapter. Sounds blimmin' excellent tbh.

Seventy70

If your main issue is sound quality than Astro, Turtle Beach, et al are not the way to go. Gaming branded peripherals play on ignorance to dramatically increase the price.

Apparently modmics are of very high quality.

I never really understood why people only went for headsets targeted specifically towards gaming. Are "surround headphones" even a thing?

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Whatever you decide to go with, DO NOT plug them into the controller. If you want sound quality, get the Astro MixAmp. It makes a world of difference.

Gumbie

I'm looking for the cheapest completely wireless headset for xbox one. I''ve gotten spoiled using the bluetooth Sony golds with my PS4 and now having the wire between the xbox controller and headset drives me nuts. The cheapest I've found are the Turtle Beach X500. I don't mind spending a little more if the next step up is much better quality, the only real requirement for me is that it has to be truly wireless.

Top Bottom