• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Point n Click Adventure GAF 2015 - Back with a vengeance

epmode

The FMV Tex Murphy games are pretty great. I love that Tesla Effect exists even if it doesn't match UAKM or Pandora Directive. <3 Kickstarter <3

Cool I got RealMYST: Masterpiece edition (what a title) during the Steam sale. I did try to play MYST in the past, but the puzzles went over my head and I never knew what I was actually doing. This time I played it for real, and it is a beautiful remake of the game. Love how 'open' it is and it really leaves you to just explore, find hints and then remember where to apply them to solve the puzzles. Recently I also played Dark Fall (the first one) which had a similar style. Really awesome, and looking back at that piece of paper where I wrote down all the hints feels so rewarding.

Mr Swine

Banned
So does anyone know whatever happened to Day Of The Tentacle Special Edition? It was announced last year and we haven't heard anything since then :/

BumRush

So does anyone know whatever happened to Day Of The Tentacle Special Edition? It was announced last year and we haven't heard anything since then :/

I'm worried about it, to be honest. If the game was progressing at all you'd think we would have seen at least a little bit more.

inm8num2

Someone posted this a few days ago:

I was in a chat with one of the DF developers, and he confirmed that all they had ready for E3 was two of the DF presents titles (that they're not developing, just publishing: Gnog and Gang Beasts) and the news that they're doing something with Adult Swim. He didn't say anything about DoTT except that they weren't quite ready to show it off yet, but that it's coming along fine and that we'll hear more in the near future. I guess the timing of E3 didn't really work out.

Hey P&C-GAF can you recommend me thrillers with good story and beautiful art from the last years?
Without focus on supernatural things.
I played Broken Sword 5 and like conspiracy stories and thrillers like heavy rain.

inm8num2

Yea maybe something like February or March. I'm guessing the DoTT team is smaller than the Grim one, and DF has a couple other projects going on (not to mention they unfortunately had an unannounced project canceled earlier this yearand had to layoff some people).

It would be cool to see a short BTS video on the DoTT remake like we saw for Grim. Perhaps when release is closer they'll do that to generate more interest.

inm8num2

Hey P&C-GAF can you recommend me thrillers with good story and beautiful art from the last years?
Without focus on supernatural things.
I played Broken Sword 5 and like conspiracy stories and thrillers like heavy rain.

Gemini Rue, Resonance, and Technobabylon seem like good fits if you're into sci-fi. Low res but beautiful art direction. Each game has a great story.

The Raven: Legacy of a Master Thief is more about mystery than thrills, but it has a good story and beautiful art (animations are good but sometimes clunky).

TripleSun

Anyone play Randal's Monday? I was excited for it a while back but never picked it up and it seems it never really hit point for people. Steam has a deal that include Chaos on Deponia, the two Edna & Harvey games and Randal's Monday for $8.99.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/69238/

[edit] Also not really a PnC but "Her Story" has me really intrigued. I always liked the "search in database for clues" games and the FMV and just the investigativeness the game brings out in the gamer seems like it could be fun. Goes for $5 and I hear it's like a 3 hour-ish game. If so nice price tag. Comes out in less than a day on Steam http://store.steampowered.com/app/368370/

A quick, random question: is Syberia worth playing?
I've had copies for both DS and OG Xbox for years but never actually played them.

JoseJX

I just picked it up and then checked this thread to see if anyone mentioned it. Hopefully it's good!

I picked it (J.U.L.I.A.) up during the sale as well. It ran great on Linux and I found the voice acting and graphics to be pretty solid. Some of the puzzles were a little bit forced, but nothing too egregious. I enjoyed the narrative and setting and there were plenty of places where you could explore for more depth. It took about 6 hours total for me from start to finish.

A quick, random question: is Syberia worth playing?
I've had copies for both DS and OG Xbox for years but never actually played them.

Yeah, both Syberia and its sequel are great adventure games. Fun puzzles, interesting story and characters, beautiful locales. I can't comment on those ports, though. I've only played it on PC.

Terra_Ex

Finally got around to playing (and finishing in 2 long sessions) Technobabylon. I was pretty impressed with this one, struck me as something of a blend between Gemini Rue, Resonance and Blade Runner. The Trance mechanic and theme of net addiction was nicely integrated into the game/story and formed some interesting puzzles and seeing Regis' view of the world juxtaposed against Lao and Latha's allowed for some of the concepts put forward to be explored in differing ways, which I very much appreciated. The artwork was gorgeous throughout and the game hit just about the right length for me. Enjoyed the revelations late in the story and I felt the devs interweave the multiple characters stories together really nicely towards the end. I hope the sequel hinted at will come about in some form, we definitely need more games like this.

nny

So, I recently visited NY and managed to go to one of the locations depicted in the Blackwell series, the Gothic Bridge in Central Park:

16-177_zps1r0epiye.jpg

Gothic_Bridge_zps6dzf2adl.jpg

No ghosts around, though.

BluWacky

This may be a somewhat odd question, but was there much in the way of adventure game news coming out of E3? I saw a new King's Quest trailer, and the total lack of news about DotT Remastered (not a huge surprise), but otherwise I think the only announcements I've seen on Adventure Gamers were for a couple of Daedalic titles (and not the ones I was expecting; I thought there'd be more news on Silence, for instance). Obviously the genre is niche but was there anything I missed in particular?

TripleSun

Man every time I run dry on games to play that I own I always turn my head to Dreamfall Chapters but I promised myself I'd play it when it's done since the waiting per chapter seems rough. Ugh, I might crack one of these days. Book 3 is around the corner too, right?

BigDes

Man every time I run dry on games to play that I own I always turn my head to Dreamfall Chapters but I promised myself I'd play it when it's done since the waiting per chapter seems rough. Ugh, I might crack one of these days. Book 3 is around the corner too, right?

Supposed to have come out yesterday, I think

deleted

Hello P&C-GAF,

since the announcement of Broken Age, I'm slowly getting back into the genre. I played quite a lot of P&C games as a child (DotT, Larry, Indy and stuff), but I could never finish them and before the days of the internet, it was hard to get some guide to help for the more frustrating puzzles.

I played through Monkey Island 1 a few years ago, bought a few others and am currently playing through Broken Age and Grim Fandango. I enjoy the laid back pace of these games and I don't mind to stop playing when I'm stuck and get back in a few days later.

When I'm done with those games, I'm planning to finally get through Monkey Island 2 and maybe start with Broken Sword 1 DC.

Just wanted to swing by to say how amazing the art and sound direction for Grim Fandango is. It's amazing how much this game reminds me of old Film Noir cinema without relying on those tropes too much. So far the puzzles are pretty enjoyable too, even if I got stuck two hours in for a short time already.
I simply can't imagine how anyone played this game without a mouse back in the day. It must have been atrocious.

I bought a ton of Sherlock Holmes games during the steamsale. Started with Nemesis which is fun. I like that the villain isn't a serial killer or someone terrible.

Anyone play Randal's Monday? I was excited for it a while back but never picked it up and it seems it never really hit point for people. Steam has a deal that include Chaos on Deponia, the two Edna & Harvey games and Randal's Monday for $8.99.

I bought that very bundle during the Steam sales. Currently working my way through Randal's Monday, and, honestly it's pretty mediocre. It hammers you over the head, relentlessly, with pop culture references that amount to no more than "hey, do you remember that thing you liked? So do we. That's why we're going to plaster it all over your computer screen for the next five hours." It's distracting and fails in covering the story's various shortcomings, which takes an age to get to the point - the looping Monday - and does nothing of any interest with that conceit. The puzzles are boring and amount to nothing more than unimaginative busy work. I got bored half-way through and just resorted to the in-built hint guide. The main character is really unlikeable and obnoxious; the kind of guy you wouldn't want to spend an evening with or watch him spend an evening with anybody else. If you're writing that kind of character, the former is fine, but the latter? absolutely not.

So, yeah, I'm close to the end of the game, or at least I think I am, and haven't really found much to enjoy or recommend. It's been a long time since I've played any point and click games and, after picking up a few during the Steam sales, I thought I'd binge on the genre for the next month. I'm not exactly sure why I started with Randal's Monday, but on the surface, it looked vaguely promising. I briefly played Broken Age, but stopped. I kind of want to build up to that, as it felt head and shoulders above anything I'd tried out at that stage. After I've finished this one, the next ones that are on my list are The Silent Age and The Longest Journey. I hope they rekindle my love of the genre, sadly Randal's Monday did anything but.

I've played half of Broken Sword 5 today, so far I'm really liking it. Definitely a return to form and the best one since the first two.

My one criticism would be a lack of different environments and characters so far, but it's still got me hooked. Can't wait to finish it.

Fuz

Banned
Are the keybinds in Tesla Effect still not redefinable? I haven't bought it yet because of this.

inm8num2

Saw this kickstarter project mentioned on GameBoomers - hadn't heard of it before but they're close to the goal with less than 2 days left, so I thought some people here might be interested.

The Eyes of Ara

The Eyes of Ara is an immersive, fully 3D Puzzle-Based Adventure game, inspired by genre classics like Myst and modern exploration-based storytelling like Tomb Raider. A game full of devious puzzles and countless hidden secrets!

You will explore an immersive, fully 3D environment, riddled with secret rooms and hidden passageways. Each room contains multiple puzzles and hidden secrets, ranging from simple lock-and-key style puzzles to complex multi-stage puzzles that may even span multiple rooms throughout the level.

Each puzzles leads intrinsically to the next, but not all of them need to be solved in a predetermined order. You are free to explore the castle and tackle many puzzles at different times, unlocking more rooms or returning to complete previously inaccessible puzzles as you progress.

Pre-alpha footage

Are the keybinds in Tesla Effect still not redefinable?

Don't think so, but I've read some people have used AutoHotkey to get around this issue.

BigDes

Anybody played The Detail?

It turned up in my Steam account one morning which means that drunkDes bought and I do not trust that motherfucker one bit.

Boem

The King's Quest reboot is up for pre-order on Steam. I was not expecting it to cost $39.99 lol

Yeah that's a bit much, I expect most people will wait for a sale at that price. They also haven't said what their release schedule is for the episodes, as far as I know. Even when Telltale was just focusing on 1 game at a time, and when those games were smaller, it was hard for them to hit the monthly schedule. It's still impossible for them now, and it's been their business for years now.

I don't have the patience to wait for episodic releases these days, so I'll wait until they're all out. Still going to play it in due time.

Anybody played The Detail?

It turned up in my Steam account one morning which means that drunkDes bought and I do not trust that motherfucker one bit.
Its a visual novel with some pnc elements. Can tell it was ported from a tablet...yeah i dunno story isnt all that either so uh no

Yeah that's a bit much, I expect most people will wait for a sale at that price. They also haven't said what their release schedule is for the episodes, as far as I know. Even when Telltale was just focusing on 1 game at a time, and when those games were smaller, it was hard for them to hit the monthly schedule. It's still impossible for them now, and it's been their business for years now.

I don't have the patience to wait for episodic releases these days, so I'll wait until they're all out. Still going to play it in due time.

I'm too excited about the game, think I'm going to bite even though it might be a mistake.

Not sure why people in this thread were down on Broken Sword 5. I finished it yesterday and it's easily the second best after the first.

Great game.

epmode

I'm in the middle of Life is Strange Episode 3. I think I love it, GAF.

It has a very Telltale structure but it's a lot closer to The Longest Journey, thematically. Girl into photography getting settled in a new town, supernatual stuff, journal entries, etc. My only complaint is that the dialogue isn't as natural as Ragnar Tørnquist at his best. It's still very well acted, the story is interesting and the entire game is super-polished.

There are even a few Twin Peaks references! <3<3<3

edit: Finished Episode 3. Omg. Omg omgomg.

I finished The Inner World this week.
Trailer

I feel like a bunch of people have overlooked this, but it's a lovely adventure game that has a good difficulty balance with it's puzzles. It's story is charming and unique, and the art really worked for me. Unlike certain other adventure games, it has a genuine tone that doesn't rely heavily on sarcasm. There's a really good in-game hint system too, for if you get stuck. I think it carries the atmosphere of games like Machinarium, while injecting some of the humor, and dialogue of Lucasarts games.

I had a really great time with it, and more people should check it out. It's currently 50% off on Steam (7.49), but it frequently hits 3.74, or you may already have it from the handful of bundle's it has appeared in. It's also on iOS, which is a good version of the game as well. Keep it on your radar/wishlists though!

TripleSun

I'm in the middle of Life is Strange Episode 3. I think I love it, GAF.

It has a very Telltale structure but it's a lot closer to The Longest Journey, thematically. Girl into photography getting settled in a new town, supernatual stuff, journal entries, etc. My only complaint is that the dialogue isn't as natural as Ragnar Tørnquist at his best. It's still very well acted, the story is interesting and the entire game is super-polished.

There are even a few Twin Peaks references! <3<3<3

edit: Finished Episode 3. Omg. Omg omgomg.

Trying to remember what happened at the end of Episode 3.. OH YEAH.
When she got to see face to face when she did when she played controller of time. Shit that gave me SHIVERS.
Man still two episodes left, this game is so great. Episode 1 was kind of slow but then again it has to build so when like middle of ep 2 came I was hooked. Seems like people are anticipating episode 4 for sometime next week or something? Regardless such a good time to get into this series. Glad I took the plunge.

spinz

[edit] Also not really a PnC but "Her Story" has me really intrigued. I always liked the "search in database for clues" games and the FMV and just the investigativeness the game brings out in the gamer seems like it could be fun. Goes for $5 and I hear it's like a 3 hour-ish game. If so nice price tag. Comes out in less than a day on Steam http://store.steampowered.com/app/368370/

Yeah. I really like randals monday.. and i think its sorely under-appreciated. Its a long game with strong voice acting and if the humor works for you, its really entertaining. The problem is the puzzles.. Theyr just not very reasonable. And the "hint" system in game, is really just a walkthrough. Still, i really liked it overall.

As for her story, i played that last week. It was interesting. Its an "experience"game, which typically means short and experimental. I think what i really like about it is that its non-linear in a way most games never are. If 10 different people play it, they'll find the solutions with 10 different trains of logic. Im glad they included a "search history" feature because i had fun looking back on it to see what lead my logic through the story. Its worth the 5 bucks as long as youre prepared that its roughly a 2 hour game.

spinz

Anna's Quest is on Steam and GoG now. Art looks beautiful, got dark humor, cuteness blended with dark themes, sounds great.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/327220/
http://www.gog.com/game/annas_quest

iirc wasn't this a freeware game a long time ago or maybe it was just an indie dev project without a publisher back then or something. Can't quite remember but looking to playing it finally.

yeah youre right, it was a free AGS game, but without voice acting and it was just the beginning of this version (which is muuuuch larger).
Im playing it right now and having a lot of fun.

Fuz

Banned
I finished The Inner World this week.

Trailer

I feel like a bunch of people have overlooked this, but it's a lovely adventure game that has a good difficulty balance with it's puzzles. It's story is charming and unique, and the art really worked for me. Unlike certain other adventure games, it has a genuine tone that doesn't rely heavily on sarcasm. There's a really good in-game hint system too, for if you get stuck. I think it carries the atmosphere of games like Machinarium, while injecting some of the humor, and dialogue of Lucasarts games.

I had a really great time with it, and more people should check it out. It's currently 50% off on Steam (7.49), but it frequently hits 3.74, or you may already have it from the handful of bundle's it has appeared in. It's also on iOS, which is a good version of the game as well. Keep it on your radar/wishlists though!

I played it.
Has some silly and annoying design flaws, but it's quite good nevertheless.

Btw, is Anna's Quest any good? Looks charming but I'm not convinced.

Top Bottom