• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix Movie Club |OT| Evil Dead 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why the fuck would anyone nominate I,Frankenstein?
Dat movie crapola

Well its the only way I was going to watch it and misery loves company.

Threw the title into Google quick because I wasn't sure about the genre and first result I got was IMDB giving it Sci-Fi/Thriller. Feel free to DQ it for genre if you don't think the group can handle it.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Well its the only way I was going to watch it and misery loves company.

Threw the title into Google quick because I wasn't sure about the genre and first result I got was IMDB giving it Sci-Fi/Thriller. Feel free to DQ it for genre if you don't think the group can handle it.
IMDB doesn't list thriller as a genre for I, Frankenstein. It falls under action, fantasy, and sci-fi.

Just want to note IMDB has 22 genre labels. Less of a clusterfuck than Netflix.

Bacon

I don't have any suggestions but I just wanted to echo the sentiments of this being a great idea. Will definitely participate, and it will help me on my 50/50 challenge!

Laieon

I nominated it already and duplicates don't raise its chances of winning. Would you like to nominate another Korean thriller?
South Korea makes the best thrillers, I'd love to see one get picked.

Ah, my fault. I browsed through the thread pretty quickly, I saw Oldboy and The Man From Nowhere, but must have missed I Saw the Devil. Should have ctrl'f.

If it hasn't been nominated yet, I guess I'll throw up Sympathy for Lady and/or Mr. Vengeance.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Cut off for nominations will be at 11pm (est) today. I will check and have the randomizer choose our first movie. I will post the pick first thing tomorrow morning.

we are still on thrillers right?

I nominate

The Chaser (2008)
"Chugyeogja" (original title)

Hvmwkvr.png

Aiii

So not worth it
I'm nominating: The Experiment.

I hear it's good, though not as good as the outstanding German original. Unfortunately that one is not on Netflix, but I haven't seen this version yet and it's had Forest Whitaker, so it can't be that much worse.

jts

...hate me...
Just some food for thought, consider each movie week being confined in its own new thread.

Advantages:

Thread title with the movie name on it.
Easier to track the discussion on each movie.
Nice for a proper linked archive of each week.
Keeps things fresher and friendlier I think (may be taking the piss at this point).

I think it could be a neater and tidier experience.

Just some food for thought, consider each movie week being confined in its own new thread.

Advantages:

Keeps things fresher and friendlier I think (may be taking the piss at this point).

I'm totally all for this. That'll allow other people to join in the conversation when they see the threads pop up.

Advantages:

I like this idea.

Advantages:

So should we rename the respective voting thread or vote at the end of the week's thread?
Or a completely different thread for voting?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
While I like the idea, I think it is best to take the wait and see approach. The thread might not generate enough discussion to warrant new threads each week.

I will ask Cyan to update the thread title with the movie of the week.

My original plan was to make this thread last for a month or two and then have someone take over for the next two months, etc. So ideally, every month or two a new thread will come along.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
The movie of the week is....Side Effects!

According to reviews, avoid spoilers/go into it blind.

Netflix page. Youtube trailer

Description:
When a young wife's depression spirals out of control due to her husband's prison release, she turns to a new medication that alters her life forever.

Director - Steven Soderbergh

Cast:

Rooney Mara
p0JSzik.jpg

Jude Law
nCvupC2.jpg

Channing Tatum
BjrSep8.jpg

Catherine Zeta-Jones
HsnrH20.jpg

The movie of the week is....Side Effects!

According to reviews, avoid spoilers/go into it blind.

Netflix page. Youtube trailer

Description:
When a young wife's depression spirals out of control due to her husband's prison release, she turns to a new medication that alters her life forever.

nice. I already know the hot topic -
Rooney Mara-Catherine Zeta Jones lesbian kiss scene

Cool.

Watched it a while ago but I'll give it another shot. It has some pretty big logical issues that kind of ruined it for me.

As others have said, I'd suggest making separate threads for each movie of the week where we can discuss the movie freely without spoiler tags, and then use this thread primarily for voting.

Spoiler tags are helpful in certain contexts, but they make discussing something freely quite annoying.

lordxar

Think I've seen this and think I liked it but for some reason I don't remember the cast at all so maybe it was another movie...

jts

...hate me...
So do we just start discussion here once we have watched it, or do we wait until everyone has watched it?

Someone has to go rogue on GK86 and create a 'GAF Movie Club |Week 1| "SIDE EFFECTS" discussion thread (spoilers!)'

Thread title here has not even changed ;p

MOjHgoA.gif

Cross-posted from the weekly thread.

We really don't need a weekly thread for this sort of thing. That will guarantee minimal participation and a fractured community posting in several different threads per week.

What makes a heck of a lot more sense would be to have a monthly thread, and stick to a central theme that ties the movies together. It could be something as simple as, "GAF Netflix Movie Club |January| Foreign Films" or whatever.

The idea of common thematic elements. Some simple suggestions (and I haven't cross-checked this against Netflix's inventory):
- Genres, e.g. documentaries, thrillers, science fiction, etc.
- Foreign language, e.g. all films in one language, or just in general
- Decades, e.g. 1950s, 1960s, etc.
- Similar storylines, e.g. bank heists, sports stories, political movements
- Same actor or director

This would still allow you to maintain a one film per week approach, but have the discussion center around each and how they compare and contrast to the other monthly nominees.

tchocky

The watching/discussion period will run from Wednesday through Sunday night.

Nominations will start up again Monday and Tuesday.

Maybe it would be best to announce the movie on the Wednesday and have discussions start on the thursday for spoiler reasons.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I had some time left over today so I watched Side Effects. It was good. I'll wait until some more people chime in before going all spoilering up the place.

Having a thread for each film solves the spoilers issue though

It also allows the discussions on each film to continue and reach a natural conclusion instead of being cut off or logjammed with discussions of previous films.

But mainly, it's because of the spoilers. I understand why it happens, but I think GAF tends to go waaaaaay overboard with spoiler tags. I'd rather just have individual threads where nobody has to walk on eggshells.

It also allows the discussions on each film to continue and reach a natural conclusion instead of being cut off or logjammed with discussions of previous films.

But mainly, it's because of the spoilers. I understand why it happens, but I think GAF tends to go waaaaaay overboard with spoiler tags. I'd rather just have individual threads where nobody has to walk on eggshells.

Yeah I totally agree with all of this. I think individual threads are a great idea to get other people involved in the conversations too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom