• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With the New 3DS XL announced for the US, let's talk transfers

Garou

So, my 3DS XL has the stock SD card in it and my laptop doesn't have a port for MicroSD. What are my options for transferring the data on my XL's SD card to the n3DS' MicroSD?

If you use the stock-SD you can just wirelessly transfer everything during the transfer-process.

MicH

Are only the licenses transferred or also the content of the sd? I bought Shin Megami Tensei IV on the eshop recently, will i be able to transfer the savefile too? I don't want to face Minotaur again please...
The save file is on the SD card. You just need to transfer the contents pm your current SD card to the Micro SD card I'm the new3DS. You can do this via your computer or have the 3DS do it over wireless connection though that may take a couple of hours dependant on how much you have on the SD card

So, my 3DS XL has the stock SD card in it and my laptop doesn't have a port for MicroSD. What are my options for transferring the data on my XL's SD card to the n3DS' MicroSD?
If you're buying a bigger micro SD card then buy one with an SD adapter (assuming your computer can read SD cards. If not then the 3DS can do it for you through wireless. It will take much longer though

Xenoflare

Can I delete my downloaded games to save transfer time while transferring the licenses and the savedata for my digital games?

If you use the stock-SD you can just wirelessly transfer everything during the transfer-process.

If you're buying a bigger micro SD card then buy one with an SD adapter (assuming your computer can read SD cards. If not then the 3DS can do it for you through wireless. It will take much longer though

Ah, thanks. I thought the 3DS only transferred system data and that data on SD cards had to be copy+pasted with a PC. I also only use the stock cards - all my games are physical.

Salaadin

So do I have this right?

Im transferring from a 32gb XL to the stock 4gb New XL.
Since I'm doing the transfer in GameStop, i don't have the ability to insert a large micro sd card.

I do the built in system transfer. It will transfer my nnid to the new console and my game saves to the stock 4gb card.
After this, my nnid will be tied to the new xl and then it's just a matter of using my PC to copy the data from the stock micro SD to a larger card and re downloading all my games.

Ambassador program stuff transfers too, right?

gooface

Banned
so if I have my stuff already on a Microsd in my 3ds (with the adapter) I should be able to do the transfer, then shut off the system and put my Microsd in it and it should be all good?

Garou

So do I have this right?

Im transferring from a 32gb XL to the stock 4gb New XL.
Since I'm doing the transfer in GameStop, i don't have the ability to insert a large micro sd card.

I do the built in system transfer. It will transfer my nnid to the new console and my game saves to the stock 4gb card.
After this, my nnid will be tied to the new xl and then it's just a matter of using my PC to copy the data from the stock micro SD to a larger card and re downloading all my games.

Ambassador program stuff transfers too, right?

Buy a microSD+adapter now and start using it in your old 3DS, then you just have to swap cards during transfer.

neoism

made a thread earlier.

consensus is game is deleted. but you can dl again for free on eshop

scratches head.... I have the same prob, but I have the old 2gb card and a 4gb card which has Bravely Default on it and a few other digital games, does it also transfer over the saves. My mean concern is how can I get all my stuff from both cards on one card... I'm going to get a 32gb card with the new system most likely... Or will I have to use a computer.. I dont have a sd card reader :( I also have 40 bones on my eshop account...

Garou

scratches head.... I have the same prob, but I have the old 2gb card and a 4gb card which has Bravely Default on it and a few other digital games, does it also transfer over the saves. My mean concern is how can I get all my stuff from both cards on one card... I'm going to get a 32gb card with the new system most likely... Or will I have to use a computer.. I dont have a sd card reader :( I also have 40 bones on my eshop account...

You can never combine saves from two SD-cards. Abandon the SD-card with the less important saves and redownload the games after you moved to your bigger card.

So I'm using a 32 gig micro sd adapter in my 2ds. When I do the transfer into the new 3ds, is there an option that'll just fuck it up? It's total transfer (which'll be impossible) limited transfer, and PC transfer, right? I just pick PC transfer and then swap the cards, right?

Garou

So I'm using a 32 gig micro sd adapter in my 2ds. When I do the transfer into the new 3ds, is there an option that'll just fuck it up? It's total transfer (which'll be impossible) limited transfer, and PC transfer, right? I just pick PC transfer and then swap the cards, right?

The process will ask if you are already using a microSD and will give you specific instructions on when to swap. Works flawlessly.

I can't just do the system transfer and swap SD cards around later when I get home? Will probably be doing it inside gamestop. Don't wanna open the thing there.

Zaventem

I wanna know how Gamestop is going to handle this whole thing since mine doesn't have wifi :( I guess i'll pass by tomorrow to find out more.

Salaadin

Buy a microSD+adapter now and start using it in your old 3DS, then you just have to swap cards during transfer.

Good idea. I ordered a micro SD and it comes with an adapter so all I really have to do is copy my current SD card data onto the micro SD and then use that in my regular XL with the adapter? Then when the new 3ds launches, it's just a matter of doing the regular transfer and inserting the micro SD (sans adapter) when prompted?

My only hangup here is if GameStop will let me do this in store. I know they'll do the transfer for me but will they allow me to use my micro SD card during it. I'll call and ask.

The process will ask if you are already using a microSD and will give you specific instructions on when to swap. Works flawlessly.

Except for the fact that I just had to go out and buy a stupid screwdriver to even get at the micro SD slot on the New XL.

DeVeAn

So can we use cards bigger then 32GB? You just need to format them on PC right? Really need to get a 64GB.

Adam Blue

If I unlink my NNID from my old 3DS and link to my new, I can download purchases from the eShop, right? That's my understanding.

What data requires a system-to-system transfer? Just save data?

Garou

Good idea. I ordered a micro SD and it comes with an adapter so all I really have to do is copy my current SD card data onto the micro SD and then use that in my regular XL with the adapter? Then when the new 3ds launches, it's just a matter of doing the regular transfer and inserting the micro SD (sans adapter) when prompted?

My only hangup here is if GameStop will let me do this in store. I know they'll do the transfer for me but will they allow me to use my micro SD card during it. I'll call and ask.

If you go that route, then you are fine. After the general transfer is done and the old 3DS is wiped the new 3DS will prompt you to turn off the new 3DS to switch cards, at that point the old 3DS is not necessary anymore and you can just do the card switch and everything at home.

Salaadin

If you go that route, then you are fine. After the general transfer is done and the old 3DS is wiped the new 3DS will prompt you to turn off the new 3DS to switch cards, at that point the old 3DS is not necessary anymore and you can just do the card switch and everything at home.
Thanks so much for your help

MicH

If I unlink my NNID from my old 3DS and link to my new, I can download purchases from the eShop, right? That's my understanding.

I don't think you can just unlink your NNID and link it on your new system. It has to be do e through a system transfer. A system transfer transfers all your data: your account, NNID, fame licenses etc. Save data is stored on the SD card

Sacul64GC

Banned
The only problem about this whole process is that it ruins the chance of getting the $100 trade in credit at gamestop toward the New 3DS, since you need your old one when you get the new one =(

I plain on just letting my customers do it in store. All gamestops should have wifi now for phone trades so there is no reason for me not to.

Or let you go home an do it then come back to trade in the old system. That's what my GameStop said they will do.

This is what I did when trading in my OG 3DS for an XL. I gave them the OG after doing the system transfer and they refunded me its trade in value.

Listonosh

That wouldn't make much sense.

The guy at my store said the trade-up deal was good on the 13th and 14th only.

Interesting, I wonder if the person that told me just didn't know and was basing it off the word pre-order, meaning to her it would seem like it would end on the 12th.

JP

Ordered! :)
new-3ds-white.jpg
sk

This seems to be the best place to ask although I'm NOT doing a system transfer from our old XL because although it's possible in the shop we have a load of content so it will probably take hours and it's just not worth it.

I'm assuming from what I've seen on the 3DS and what it says here (Nintendo Support) that I don't want to be deleting the Nintendo ID because that deletes EVERYTHING to do with that ID rather than just removing the Nintendo ID from the old XL.

Is it simply a matter of deleting all the data on the old XL, signing into the same Nintendo ID on the new 3DS and downloading all the software again? It's not really a major thing but will saves on carts be accessible on the new 3DS? Has anybody where actually just moved to a new 3DS like I'm doing without a transfer?

JP

Whatever you do DON'T delete the Nintendo ID as according to this it actually deletes the Nintendo ID from everything rather than just removing it from your system.

How to Delete a Nintendo Network ID

That's my understanding anyway.

Oops, this was supposed to be edited into the first post.

KevinG

I own three digital games on my OG 3DS XL (ALBW/ACNL/DKCR) and I'm picking up the Majora's Mask n3DS XL. I still have the 4GB SD card that came with my OG XL.

Can I simply load all the stuff on the card to my MacBook, transfer it over to a microSD, and then do the system transfer when I get the n3DS?

Chucker

Will I have to update to the latest firmware on my Yoshi 3DSXL in order to transfer to the New 3DSXL? I’d rather keep it where it is so I can sell it with Cubic Ninja as a homebrew system.
It was a fun diversion, but I don’t think I’ll miss it on my new 3DS.

MicH

I own three digital games on my OG 3DS XL (ALBW/ACNL/DKCR) and I'm picking up the Majora's Mask n3DS XL. I still have the 4GB SD card that came with my OG XL.

Can I simply load all the stuff on the card to my MacBook, transfer it over to a microSD, and then do the system transfer when I get the n3DS?
I'm not sure. I would wait to transfer the contents of your SD card until you start the transfer and it tells you to do it

Will I have to update to the latest firmware on my Yoshi 3DSXL in order to transfer to the New 3DSXL? I’d rather keep it where it is so I can sell it with Cubic Ninja as a homebrew system.
It was a fun diversion, but I don’t think I’ll miss it on my new 3DS.
You have to update to transfer

Even if you're just trying to move regular game saves? Nothing to do with accounts or eshop purchases.
After the whole madness that Wii exploits were, Nintendo decided to disable copying saves to different systems, since that means that to fake a valid save, you already need a compromised system. So, yeah.

dragn

can i just format the old 3ds and use the nnid with the new 3ds? just to dl digital stuff again, dont care about saves

The End

If they can figure out some way to unfuck this that won't require making multiple trips to gamestop or camping out for two hours while everything transfers I'm all over the new 3DS.

Top Bottom